BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 (CS) vs new Audi RS3

08-10-2021, 01:32 AM   #1
johnny_slo
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

M2 (CS) vs new Audi RS3

So I got messaged on instagram a lot with the news of RS3 beating the hot hatch record on the Nurburgring and the fact it's faster there than the M2CS I own. Most people just sent the link, no text or whatever, dunno if they were rubbing it in my face.

Real world relevance or not, but has Audi made a car that does not have the Audi-steer? Further to that, I heard some rumors that it's going to receive a stronger engine down the line with around 450 bhp. That's quite interesting.

However, so back to the Nurburgring record. For M2CS, there's no official record except for the Auto Sport (German magazine) time; RS3 has had a full factory support, although, I doubt they went the official Nurburgring way (notary public present to review the car and confirm the time etc.).

Also, then we have this problem: https://www.bridgetogantry.com/audi-...ar-lap-record/

So - Recaro Polepositions, cage, rear seat delete. Not exactly factory options.

I'm not trying to bash, maybe just vent a bit
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:35 AM   #2
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

maybe the new one can actually do something other than understeer - if so props to it, should be a good car. the last one went in a straight line, and sounded great - thats where it stopped...
      08-11-2021, 05:48 AM   #3
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Why would this bother you? If you love driving then the CS makes you smile. Audis are for people that don't love driving, they are well crafted appliances for their demographic. I don't get the Nurburgring thing. Never will.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #4
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I drove the RS3. BORING. Yes, it's fast. But SOOOO BORING. All you need to do is laugh at these people's ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #5
johnny_slo
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Why would this bother you? If you love driving then the CS makes you smile. Audis are for people that don't love driving, they are well crafted appliances for their demographic. I don't get the Nurburgring thing. Never will.
Just a bit of a rant, since I was bombarded with messages.
And then I found the link I posted above, so basically it's a non-compliant Nurburgring record.
Appreciate 1
Davil6333.50
      08-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Having owned a TTRS and currently owning a lowly OG M2.. I do not see the relevance of any Audi product vs M2 of any kind. Once they get the weight distribution looking better, get the engine moved back from in front of the wheels a bit, and start to be enjoyable to drive without waiting for the terminal understeer to hit then I might see the relevance.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #7
bradwags
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_slo View Post
So I got messaged on instagram a lot with the news of RS3 beating the hot hatch record on the Nurburgring and the fact it's faster there than the M2CS I own. Most people just sent the link, no text or whatever, dunno if they were rubbing it in my face.

Real world relevance or not, but has Audi made a car that does not have the Audi-steer? Further to that, I heard some rumors that it's going to receive a stronger engine down the line with around 450 bhp. That's quite interesting.

However, so back to the Nurburgring record. For M2CS, there's no official record except for the Auto Sport (German magazine) time; RS3 has had a full factory support, although, I doubt they went the official Nurburgring way (notary public present to review the car and confirm the time etc.).

Also, then we have this problem: https://www.bridgetogantry.com/audi-...ar-lap-record/

So - Recaro Polepositions, cage, rear seat delete. Not exactly factory options.

I'm not trying to bash, maybe just vent a bit
M2 is manual too!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #8
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
This kinda stuff makes no sense to me (at this point at least). Who cares which car is faster, drive what you enjoy.

Both manual & DCT are great & each do something that the other kinda doesn't. Both have value in my book equally to their respective buyers & same principle goes with the cars.

Personally Audi isn't my cup of tea but they're nice luxury performance cars & with that said I'm a huge fan of AWD/xdrive in general.

To me a manual transmission or even dct E93 M3 is one the the funniest cars I've ever driven. Slow, weird, and clunky, but driving it with the top down puts the biggest smile on my face. All I know is I'm going fast and whoever wants to go faster, cheers! Maybe a blower would help but still

At the end of the day there will always be a faster car. Personally I wouldn't mind the xdrive M3 with 600-700whp for the insane launch & traction but I could care less who is faster or slower. If the car is faster give em a thumbs up and have fun.
Appreciate 3
Fined243.00
Navy Davy220.00
PHX102160.50
      08-26-2021, 02:52 AM   #9
g.m00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 & M2C

Never owned an RS3, but I've got a buddy who does. He's enjoying the five-cyl engine and the speed that he can muck up with it. He isn't too big on the handling though as it can get a bit rough compared to the BMW in general/M2C. Of course, this falls back to his personal tastes.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:20 AM   #10
Robbyjai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

having owned an an Audi S3 granted its not a RS3.. but gutted stripped and set up for racing.... the god awful Engine placement, Quattro awd system just made it a terrible car for track work.

The very very very best times i could get with an Audi S3 stripped gutted and set up for track work with extensive suspension... massive power upgrades, camber set up.... is ONLY marginally quick as a a stock M2 competition around the same race track..

think about that.... my tuned M2 Comp absolutely utterly destorys my S3 track car.. and the very very very fastest rs3 track cars dont even come close to my modified track M2.

so ... unless audi reinvents the quattro and sits the dam engine behind the axle... no amount of marketing is going to mask over the fact it will understeer like a dog.

listen to it understeer... that squealing of tires is terminal understeer... they havent dialed it out...

secondly its not apples for apples comparisson

the laptime posted in the RS3 is posted by Frank Stippler a development driver AND racing car driver.

the times posted by the M2 CS was a magazine test by Christian Gebhardt while a very good driver.. doesnt hold a candle to Frank Stippler

and i suspect that 2 seconds can be quickly made up if BMW chucked one of their pro drivers at it like Audi did. we wont mention audi cheating with a lighter car lols...we'll pretend its complete stock lols

now watch the same lap in the M2 CS and YOU WONT hear the terminal understeer

Last edited by Robbyjai; 10-17-2021 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0