BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs Lotus Emira

07-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #23
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Sure if you left it stock it'd be fine as a daily. Mine has a GMG center muffler delete, race seats, harness, back half cage, track brake setup and the alignment is tuned to be track oriented so not really daily livable anymore. Still has full interior, A/C, stereo etc though so can easily be street driven.

I'd recommend a 991 or 992 GT3 if you wanted a do it all fun daily driver and weekend toy in one. Those are a bit more refined, newer tech, and you can get a PDK if you want.
Give me 2 more promotions and let my future wife be ok with it.

Man, I love the just love the 911: 991, 992, 997, 993, etc - it doesn't matter.
      07-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #24
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Putting a deposit on a build slot for Emira. Hope won't loose too much on the M2 when I replace it with a Lotus.
      07-10-2021, 08:23 PM   #25
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I think I want one in addition to my poverty base m2.

I was originally planning for 997.2 C4S, but with how expensive they’ve gotten i think id rather opt for a brand new Emira.

Toyota engine though?? Reserving judgement on that. Wouldn’t mind the RCF engine though, but too large obv.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #26
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I think I want one in addition to my poverty base m2.

I was originally planning for 997.2 C4S, but with how expensive they’ve gotten i think id rather opt for a brand new Emira.

Toyota engine though?? Reserving judgement on that. Wouldn’t mind the RCF engine though, but too large obv.
You have a choice of a 4-cyl AMG with a DCT or a supercharged Toyota V6 that can be paired with a six speed manual (my preference) or a conventional auto.
What do you think is bad about the Toyota engine? It’s more than capable, and should be a pretty competitive option.
      07-11-2021, 02:25 PM   #27
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90post_user View Post
You have a choice of a 4-cyl AMG with a DCT or a supercharged Toyota V6 that can be paired with a six speed manual (my preference) or a conventional auto.
What do you think is bad about the Toyota engine? It’s more than capable, and should be a pretty competitive option.
I'm sure the Toyota engine will be good on paper, I just wonder if it will have the type of character the car deserves....but as I said, I'm reserving judgement, I'd want the v6 manual as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #28
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure the Toyota engine will be good on paper, I just wonder if it will have the type of character the car deserves....but as I said, I'm reserving judgement, I'd want the v6 manual as well.
I will trust Jenson with his verdict
M3R12167.00
      07-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #29
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Quote:
The Lotus Evora has the exact same Toyota V6 that will go into the Emira. savagegeese has a video of it and you can get an idea of how it sounds. The way the engine screams at high RPM just encourages you to rev it all the way out. If anything, I'm not sure that the AMG engine will have the character to match the Emira. To me, Lotus has always been about wringing out as much power as possible at high RPMs while AMG is basically German muscle car and more focus on torque rather than peak power.

Appreciate 4
      07-11-2021, 08:50 PM   #30
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok I’m sold !!
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2021, 07:14 PM   #31
TripleU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 M2, 23 Ford F150 Raptor

Garage List
  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
You think 82K base price is a bargain for a car powered by a detuned 4 cylinder from an AMG hatchback or a supercharged Camry V6? The exterior looks great but the powerplant options are poor and lazy. There is no reason to buy this car (except maybe exclusivity) when you get can get a Cayman GTS 4L for around the same price and does everything better.
With Porsche's stop-sale on the 4.0L engine, I'm kind of hesitant with that engine right now, even if Porsche fixed the problems.

Though I would totally get a 981 GT4 over the Emira.

Past: 2015 Lexus IS 250, 2014 Volkswagen CC R-Line
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #32
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
It looks super. I think it should be a big hit. Especially with the AMG power plus DCT combo. Cayman killer. Not sold on the Camry rig. However. I would personally choose an original Elise with the K series engine if going in this direction. The new one is huge and massively wide. My CS is already my big car and I already have my little car. But I've always had a huge soft spot for that original Elise.
I've seen this post over and over again about the "Camry engine". Guys, if you haven't driven the Evora before, do not sleep on it. I went into the test drive thinking pretty much the only thing that'll shine is the handling of the car. I was wrong. The drivetrain actually had a ton of personality. I was surprised how loud the combination of supercharger wine and exhaust note was. The gear ratios were also significantly better than the 981 GT4 I've driven.

The problem for me, is that everything else was OK at best. Gearshift was surprisingly imprecise, build quality was so so for such an expensive car and I wasn't sold on the exterior looks of the car.

The Emira fixes a lot of those concerns it seems like.

P.S. I personally wouldn't touch the AMG 4 pot with a 10 ft pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I think it's the other way around. Your justifications are quite weak, and don't hold up at all.

Again, you didn't know your car.

The shims are for minor adjustments.

Yes, you can get milled steering arms, but easier than that is to move the strut up onto the top strut mount instead of the bottom one, giving you an immediate -2°.

Perfection for the front of a Lotus is -2.2°, which is easily achievable with $0 if you know what you're doing.

The experience of driving the Lotus compares very favorably to the experience of driving a similarly priced Porsche. In fact, better in most eyes.

And if you want to compare numbers, no problem there either, just put the same money into the Lotus as you have in the GT3 and you'll be there and then some.

Just because your posh Porsche has a windshield doesn't make it any more of a normal car. Race car to race car you lose, setting up the car on any track other than high-speed power-plays.

Not sure it's as obvious to everyone as it is to me, but you have no clue what you're talking about. Because you don't understand something means it can't be right?

That'll be my last reply to you.
No offense, but which Porsches have you actually driven, and out of those which ones on the track? I can clearly see in many posts that your Exige can do no wrong, but at the same time, I also know Cosmos has owned a whole bunch of variety of cars and has plenty of track experience it seems like. So no, I don't agree that he has no idea what he's talking about. I for one appreciate his insight.

Personally, I've toyed with the idea of owning an Elise/Exige a few times, especially before the prices have blown up. I'd need to drive them to be sure, but I just didn't love the idea of a 4 cylinder, they're just not for me (including S2000).
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #33
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Emira configuration is up on lotuscars.com - just built mine up and sent the specs to the dealer. No word on pricing yet.
      07-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #34
KPM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competitition

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90post_user View Post
Emira configuration is up on lotuscars.com - just built mine up and sent the specs to the dealer. No word on pricing yet.
Got indicative prices from the dealer (inclusive of 21% local tax):

75.000€ for AMG four pot
95.000€ for V6 first edition
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:34 AM   #35
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 comp, LBB

I don't get how this car is being compared to the M2C, it will end up costing even more than the M2CS.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #36
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
I don't get how this car is being compared to the M2C, it will end up costing even more than the M2CS.
Because the idea of this subforum is to compare cars to the M2 you currently own. Mostly people are deciding/discussing if they want to get rid of their M2 for whatever it is being compared against, regardless of price.

2017 M2 vs. 2022 Porsche GT3
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2021, 12:04 AM   #37
Hapkin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

I put a deposit down on the Emira. I test drove the Evora GT and almost bought it over my M2 CS. The Evora was so visceral, light and agile on its feet in the mountains, the engine sounds amazing with the supercharger whine and exhaust. It is insanely rare and really the only thing that I couldn't quite get over was the Alpine radio. Everything else in the interior I actually liked. So when I heard about Emira I signed up sight unseen. With the new fancier interior and hopefully some updates on the V6 manual and it's exposed linkage, I still plan on getting it. If it's anything like the Evora GT in driving dynamics it's going to be incredible. Yes it overlaps with M2C/CS but it drives completely differently. Tbh, I liked the Evora GT driving dynamics better than my 997.2 Targa 4S manual, but that's another story. Lotus driving engineering is magical.
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #38
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapkin View Post
I put a deposit down on the Emira. I test drove the Evora GT and almost bought it over my M2 CS. The Evora was so visceral, light and agile on its feet in the mountains, the engine sounds amazing with the supercharger whine and exhaust. It is insanely rare and really the only thing that I couldn't quite get over was the Alpine radio. Everything else in the interior I actually liked. So when I heard about Emira I signed up sight unseen. With the new fancier interior and hopefully some updates on the V6 manual and it's exposed linkage, I still plan on getting it. If it's anything like the Evora GT in driving dynamics it's going to be incredible. Yes it overlaps with M2C/CS but it drives completely differently. Tbh, I liked the Evora GT driving dynamics better than my 997.2 Targa 4S manual, but that's another story. Lotus driving engineering is magical.
Sounds like you're a big fan of the hydraulic steering. Do you think you could daily drive it over the regular M2 electric power steering?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #39
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Nah it will be pretty close to a CS
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:04 PM   #40
roscowe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Where did the US MSRP come from? If you are just converting pounds to dollars, that doesn't seem right.

Why would Lotus price this car 15K higher than the C8 and a Cayman S ?

If the base Emira is at 65k-70k, I think it would be a great option.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 12:56 AM   #41
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscowe View Post
Where did the US MSRP come from? If you are just converting pounds to dollars, that doesn't seem right.

Why would Lotus price this car 15K higher than the C8 and a Cayman S ?

If the base Emira is at 65k-70k, I think it would be a great option.
It's going to be hard for Lotus to undercut or even match Porsche and especially GM. Economies of scale are hard to beat. If the iPhone were made in quantities of even 10k yearly it would be absurdly expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #42
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Everyone saying they will be a buyer at 70k 80k LMAO. I went to the Lotus site and you cant find an Evora for less than 100k , most are 108-114k. I don't see anyone getting a brand new Emira at 70-80 anything. That said it looks like it would be a fun car to drive.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #43
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
Everyone saying they will be a buyer at 70k 80k LMAO. I went to the Lotus site and you cant find an Evora for less than 100k , most are 108-114k. I don't see anyone getting a brand new Emira at 70-80 anything. That said it looks like it would be a fun car to drive.

Didn’t know the pricing was out. Will check.
I got an email that cars were now available for viewing at dealerships only to discover that was for the UK only.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:15 AM   #44
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think many here are overlooking what I think is the biggest draw of this car. The Toyota powertrain. This means it's cheap and simple to service, while being very reliable. It makes good enough power and the car looks amazing. They are easy to work on yourself. I love a Lotus and the Emira looks fantastic. If I didn't need a back seat...