BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > SPORT AUTO: a-workx BMW M2C vs. Cayman GT4 Track battle | sport auto

06-11-2021, 06:05 AM   #1
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
SPORT AUTO: a-workx BMW M2C vs. Cayman GT4 Track battle | sport auto

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3834.00
      06-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
While nobody should be surprised the GT4 was faster, it was also on Cup 2 R? Seriously….the fastest tire on the planet on a car that's already 50-60% more expensive, mid engine and lighter….I am in total shock and disbelief it won…

At least put them on same tires, or why not a worse tire for the GT4 for that matter?

I like Sport Auto but I am unimpressed with these head to head tests unless they're at least on the same tires …regardless if the M2 was slower or faster than whatever car
      06-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
While nobody should be surprised the GT4 was faster, it was also on Cup 2 R? Seriously….the fastest tire on the planet on a car that's already 50-60% more expensive, mid engine and lighter….I am in total shock and disbelief it won…

At least put them on same tires, or why not a worse tire for the GT4 for that matter?

I like Sport Auto but I am unimpressed with these head to head tests unless they're at least on the same tires …regardless if the M2 was slower or faster than whatever car
The m2 was on Cup2s, and had stage 3 software along with downpipes (making at least 120 more hp than the GT4) and on top of that, it was DCT whereas the GT4 was a manual. The clear advantage here is with the M2, but the GT4 was still able to manage to be ~3.5 seconds faster per lap. Yes, the Cup2R had something to do with that, but they also drop off much faster than the cup2 so I'd think there was a 1-1.5 second advantage there, but taking that out there is still a large delta in lap times.

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 06-16-2021 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
chris7197334.00
      06-16-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Quote:

The m2 was on Cup2s, and had stage 3 software along with downpipes (making at least 120 more hp than the GT4) and on top of that, it was DCT whereas the GT4 was a manual. The clear advantage here is with the M2, but the GT4 was still able to manage to be ~3.5 seconds faster per lap. Yes, the Cup2R had something to do with that, but they also drop off much faster than the cup2 so I'd think there was a 1-1.5 second advantage there, but taking that out there is still a large delta in lap times.
Nobody is going to argue that the GT4 is faster. I'm only arguing that the naturally much cheaper and slower car (M2) should have also been on the same tire which would have reduced the gap and immediately makes the M2 still a good value considering the huge price difference and added practicality.

Not sure why you're even bringing up hp difference on the track. Not once have I heard any of my instructors recommending more power on the track. It's like one of the least important things.
Just look at the 1000hp R8 Sport Auto test being slower that so many lower power cars. And look how relatively slow a Hellcat is on track relative to its power output.
      06-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Nobody is going to argue that the GT4 is faster. I'm only arguing that the naturally much cheaper and slower car (M2) should have also been on the same tire which would have reduced the gap and immediately makes the M2 still a good value considering the huge price difference and added practicality.

Not sure why you're even bringing up hp difference on the track. Not once have I heard any of my instructors recommending more power on the track. It's like one of the least important things.
Just look at the 1000hp R8 Sport Auto test being slower that so many lower power cars. And look how relatively slow a Hellcat is on track relative to its power output.
What you're missing is that it's about power to weight ratio. Power still makes a difference and we aren't talking about amateurs, we are talking about a pro who can get the most out of these cars with more power. Let's take away the downpipes and tune on the M2 and see how much slower it is - because it would be. Adding 120 hp to an M2 here will certainly make a big difference on a track where power is important especially when it not only has much more power than the GT4, but in turn a much better power to weight ratio. On top of that, it had a much quicker DT vs the manual in the GT4. Overall, those two things add as much if not more than tires do. That was my point.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      07-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #6
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Fast forward to 1:58-2:01 if the video (not the lap time) and you will clearly see why the M2 is slower. Several seconds of understeer to snap oversteer, just listen to the tires. That is just one corner to illustrate.

Now fast forward to 3:58 of the video shows the GT4 at the same part of the track, the balance is very obvious.

Look at the street car lap times (Streets of willow, Laguna Seca, VIR, etc.), the GT4 mixes it up with some very fast cars. There is no need to defend the M2, it is not as good on track...

I though about buying a GT4 before I found my allocation for my M2c, but wanted a more playful "street" focused car.

The GT4 deserves the love it gets, its a great car.
M-Pilot4859.00