BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Evolution Racewerks Intercooler Install on a 2018 M2

06-09-2021, 03:00 PM   #23
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Thanks for the info guys!
      11-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #24
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

Crooked Mount

I purchased a used 2017 M2 last year, and the previous owner had installed an Evolution Racewerks FMIC. I was detailing my car today and noticed that the FMIC appears to not be mounted evenly. Looking at the lower bumper, the FMIC dips down a bit on the driver side. Looking closer at the parts of the FMIC that I can see, the vertical brackets on top (behind the kidney grilles) appear to be different lengths. But the passenger side bracket is longer, so not sure why the driver side of the FMIC is hanging lower. Anyone else see this on their ER FMIC? I'm going to assume there aren't any functional issues here...
Attached Images

11-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #25
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

U could always go under and check the 2 connections. Other than that, I don't think you can really tell. Sucking leaky sounds? Weak power? but then you've had that FMIC in that car right at the start.

Looks almost like the left side is really raised w/ a standoff and cant see that on the right photo. Good eye.

That's what i wanted to get before, i thought it needed a new stiffener bracket to clear, that looks like the original.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #26
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Good afternoon @Pal - did you notice high ambient temperatures while driving? Some people have noted that this is an issue with ER, and I saw another comment about this on the F30 side.

It appears that the upper fan shroud is blocking flow to the top area of the intercooler, and triming it or removing it helped IATs drop by 20F. This was in daily driving.

ZM2 _ think I noted on your EVO3 log, there was something similar - it could be an issue with coolers that are 11"+ in height, where there is less airflow to that area. It might be beneficial to trim or remove it.

Finally, I there are claims that the coolant temperatures are lower since installing a flat profile IC, did you notice the same?
      01-05-2022, 05:06 PM   #27
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Good afternoon @Pal - did you notice high ambient temperatures while driving? Some people have noted that this is an issue with ER, and I saw another comment about this on the F30 side.

It appears that the upper fan shroud is blocking flow to the top area of the intercooler, and triming it or removing it helped IATs drop by 20F. This was in daily driving.

ZM2 _ think I noted on your EVO3 log, there was something similar - it could be an issue with coolers that are 11"+ in height, where there is less airflow to that area. It might be beneficial to trim or remove it.

Finally, I there are claims that the coolant temperatures are lower since installing a flat profile IC, did you notice the same?
I don't think the fan shroud is an issue on the Evo3, especially since it’s not on my car. See pics below.

My Evo3 stays around 20-30F above ambient when just cruising around town, but once I punch it it'll drop immediately to 8-12F above ambient, keep temps flat in 3rd/4th gears, and increase a couple degrees in 5th gear.

The worst under load delta I've seen with the Evo3 is 25F or so above ambient when it's 100F outside and I'm doing back to back multiple 3-4-5 gear pulls (and I'm currently pushing 475whp). In between pulls, IATs will increase, but drop immediately under load.

My Evo2 had similar behavior, so I think that's just a tube/fin thing. The difference is the Evo3 is large enough to shed the heat on back to back pulls, while also not creating any on/off throttle lag.
Attached Images

Last edited by ZM2; 01-05-2022 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2267.50
      01-05-2022, 05:57 PM   #28
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I don't think the fan shroud is an issue on the Evo3, especially since it’s not on my car. See pics below.

My Evo3 stays around 20-30F above ambient when just cruising around town, but once I punch it it'll drop immediately to 8-12F above ambient, keep temps flat in 3rd/4th gears, and increase a couple degrees in 5th gear.

The worst under load delta I've seen with the Evo3 is 25F or so above ambient when it's 100F outside and I'm doing back to back multiple 3-4-5 gear pulls (and I'm currently pushing 475whp). In between pulls, IATs will increase, but drop immediately under load.

My Evo2 had similar behavior, so I think that's just a tube/fin thing. The difference is the Evo3 is large enough to shed the heat on back to back pulls, while also not creating any on/off throttle lag.
Thanks for that image, it's exactly what I was talking about!
Your fan shroud is gone, but I was positive the EVO 3 had it's own shroud, and even better still, it allows air to be diverted to the intercooler AND the fan still. Very cool.

I was doing some reading a few months ago, and forgot to ask about it then. But I saw (on a different BMW platform) that there was and issue with heatsoak because the upper portion of the intercooler wasn't getting enough air. When I looked at our platform, I wasn't sure if it was an issue, until someone mentioned it recently.

On these cars, the stock fan shroud actually blocks this area, I think something like that would be beneficial to anyone who tracks regularly. It's awesome that Wagner thought of this.
      01-07-2022, 06:26 AM   #29
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post

If I remember right, the stock fan shroud is simply deleted on the Evo. This is what I ended up with, and the only thing in front of the IC is the crash bar and the bumper.

[IMG]https://media.fotki.com/2v2aHTFD3xu6LVA.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:37 AM   #30
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
If I remember right, the stock fan shroud is simply deleted on the Evo. This is what I ended up with, and the only thing in front of the IC is the crash bar and the bumper.

[IMG]https://media.fotki.com/2v2aHTFD3xu6LVA.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks for that - I was actually talking about that upper fan shroud - If you notice high ambient IATs, I would consider trimming this area to allow for proper airflow to the top of the intercooler.
Attached Images

08-18-2023, 11:39 PM   #31
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Wow, epic, a lot of work. Thank you for sharing, giving us the insight into such work.

I've already replaced the 3 pipes (plastic) with proper Aluminium ones, considering a CSF intercooler over stock as I am putting a stage 1 remap on it soon.

Don't have the tools and skills to do such job so I'll simply source the CSF interncooler and get a trustworthy professional workshop to do it ;-)
      08-19-2023, 10:42 AM   #32
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywang View Post
Wow, epic, a lot of work. Thank you for sharing, giving us the insight into such work.

I've already replaced the 3 pipes (plastic) with proper Aluminium ones, considering a CSF intercooler over stock as I am putting a stage 1 remap on it soon.

Don't have the tools and skills to do such job so I'll simply source the CSF interncooler and get a trustworthy professional workshop to do it ;-)
Sounds like a plan

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0