BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Planning to go stage 2-tune. Is this all I need?

10-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #23
Ridinwide1
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI N55

Hi

I'm also going stage 2. And i was considering the Wagner kit with Evo2 IC and 300cpi DP. But I se some of you write that Wagner IC is over priced.

Can someone please help me make a parts list? I don't want overpriced products, but I want good quality.

What about the waste gate, is the stock good enough?

Any reccomendations to where I can buy everything I need in 1 place so I can save on shipping and hassle?

Are there any other DIY options to BM3?

Also i'm wondering how much more power a catless will make compared to a 300cpi DP?

Partslist:

CAI: CTS Turbo
DP: wagner
IC: Wagner
Charger and inlet pipes: FTP?
Turbo inlet MST 3.0?
BOV: Turbosmart? Does Tial have anyone that is plug and play?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #24
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinwide1 View Post
Hi

I'm also going stage 2. And i was considering the Wagner kit with Evo2 IC and 300cpi DP. But I se some of you write that Wagner IC is over priced.

Can someone please help me make a parts list? I don't want overpriced products, but I want good quality.

Any reccomendations to where I can buy everything I need in 1 place so I can save on shipping and hassle?

Also i'm wondering how much more power a catless will make compared to a 300cpi DP?

Partslist:

Turbo inlet MST 3.0?

Thanks!
Switch the BOV to GFB DV+ and you have a great mod list.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #25
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Hi

Partslist:

CAI: CTS Turbo yes
DP: wagner No. no CEL guarantee. I would opt for AA or Fabspeed if you want it Catted, also Turner Motosports
IC: Wagner VRSF, CSF, and DO88 in that order. The Evo 2 is the worst performing 6” core.
Turbo inlet MST 3.0?
Turbosmart is 1 part plug and play. Great choice.
Thanks!
Done.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #26
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Hi

Partslist:

Turbo inlet MST 3.0?

Thanks!
Unless you want to hire me to figure out all that for you, simple research on your end will quickly resolve your questions.

As for the wastegate. It is electronically and internally gated. There isn't a replacement for it, out side of getting a modified turbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #27
Ridinwide1
Rep

Thanks for quick replies!

What is the difference between turbosmart and GFB DV+ ?

I don't want that open valve fast and furious style sound. But I don't mind tubro surge, so if it's a little on the slow side I don't mind
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #28
Ridinwide1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Unless you want to hire me to figure out all that for you, simple research on your end will quickly resolve your questions.

As for the wastegate. It is electronically and internally gated. There isn't a replacement for it, out side of getting a modified turbo.
It takes a lot of time to search it all up. To bad it isn't a stage 1/2 sticky thread on top of the forum
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #29
King3r
Rep
Drives: 17 N55 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Done.
If you're going BM3 does no CEL guarantee really actually matter? For example, from a sound preference I prefer the Wagner DP over the Fabspeed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #30
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
It takes a lot of time to search it all up. To bad it isn't a stage 1/2 sticky thread on top of the forum
You're not asking questions relevant to what is needed for the BM3 Stg 2 tune. You are asking for advice on which parts are the best, difference between parts, and where to get the best prices.

All of that has dedicated threads and has been answered numerous times. Do your research.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #31
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King3r View Post
If you're going BM3 does no CEL guarantee really actually matter? For example, from a sound preference I prefer the Wagner DP over the Fabspeed.
That’s a lot to pay for sound. Have you considered TMS, or CTS?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:10 PM   #32
King3r
Rep
Drives: 17 N55 M2

Quote:
That’s a lot to pay for sound. Have you considered TMS, or CTS?
I haven't, I'll take a look. But another thing to consider, if you think that's a lot to pay "for sound", is how much people spend on exhaust for minimal gain.

I'm newish to the m2 platform and bmw in general but similar to OP I've been trying to do my research for a stage 2 setup that I like and feel comfortable with. Also just trying to get over 400whp.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 05:06 AM   #33
Mike_OGm2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340i & '18 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Stage 2 requires downpipe and intercooler, which you have planned

AA and Fabspeed are the only catted downpipe a with no cel, good choice

Evo 2 is overpriced and there are better options for IC - especially if it will see any track use.

FTP is a good price for a Chargepipe and it gets great reviews on fitment with different brands

FTP is NOT recommended for the inlet, it’s stock sized replacement and is a waste of money. MST’s V2 is the best choice, Pure Turbos inlet is a good second.

I would also consider a Turbosmart Diverter valve and maybe a drop in filter for the intake. There will be a comparison of Stock vs Dinan here soon, and you can decide if it’s worth it.

Good list, good luck.
I've been running a AFE Power catted down pipe for 8 months with no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #34
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Good timing, I'm going through this as well now.

Personally I would stick with the stock air intake and "maybe" drop in an AFE dry high flow filter. Stock has excellent IAT control, OEM MAF readings and is not a restriction. Not worth messing with it just for sound and the potential for MAF reading issues and increased IATs.

FTP charge pipes get great reviews, I'm going with the CSF intercooler.

The only part I'm debating is the catted downpipe. I'd like the highest flowing catted DP you can buy. I'm not concerned about CEL as that'll be tuned out regardless. (I don't like the sound of catless DP makes or the smell)

I heard the Wagner comes with a 200Cel cat but not sure if there are higher flowing ones out there?

How difficult is the MST V2.0 install?

Cheers,
Chris
      11-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #35
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2 View Post
The only part I'm debating is the catted downpipe. I'd like the highest flowing catted DP you can buy. I'm not concerned about CEL as that'll be tuned out regardless. (I don't like the sound of catless DP makes or the smell)
Mike at XPH will have all these stats for you, as in which CDP's don't produce a CEL. It used to be Fabspeed alone, but others have joined that lineup. Not sure if there is much difference in the cell-count of those that don't produce a CELL though, they're probably all the same in that regard, so it's which one is cheapest.

Quote:
I heard the Wagner comes with a 200Cel cat but not sure if there are higher flowing ones out there?
None higher that I know of. 200 is what you're looking for.

Last edited by VisualEcho; 11-13-2021 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41609.50
      11-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #36
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Hi Flow Cats

The two high flow cats to consider are the Fabspeed 200 cell, or the HJS 300 cell (which you can purchase through Fabspeed). I understand AA also makes a great product.....if you are up for the most power and an awesome engine sound though a bit loud for the neighbors, than go with the Fabspeed 200 cell....if you want one that is a little quieter and yields nearly the same effect both in power and sound, just a shade quieter than go for the 300 cell. The added advantage of the 300 cell is it looks more OEM and is less likely to throw a cell over the long haul. I ran the 200 cell Fabspeed and loved it, but it was a tad loud and started throwing a cel. The Fabspeed team was awesome in responding to honoring the warranty by re coring my 200 cell cat. This is all to say I have run them both and would suggest that either one should be your first or second step on tuning your N55 M2....the other key move is a proper upgraded intercooler.
From their on the rabbit goes deeper and deeper!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #37
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Just to reinterate - no downpipe is offering anything significant over another, UNLESS you need one that doesn't trigger a CEL.

In that case, there are 4 known: Fabspeed, AA, GC Percision, and Akrapovic.

Otherwise they are all the same and start at $350

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...=salePrice%7C1

https://x-ph.com/m2-n55-4/
      11-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #38
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Good timing, I'm going through this as well now.

Personally I would stick with the stock air intake and "maybe" drop in an AFE dry high flow filter. Stock has excellent IAT control, OEM MAF readings and is not a restriction. Not worth messing with it just for sound and the potential for MAF reading issues and increased IATs.

FTP charge pipes get great reviews, I'm going with the CSF intercooler.

How difficult is the MST V2.0 install?

Cheers,
Chris
I believe the Wagner is 300 cel.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 11:14 PM   #39
mikeyryap
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Hey everyone. I’m currently running on my 2018 F87 M2 (N55)

VRSF Catless downpipe
CTS cold air intake
Stage 2 MHD

I’m wondering what supporting mods I should do next? I know charge pipe and intercooler on two of them. Any suggestions of which I should do first or both at once?
According to MHD on my car, I don’t need anything for stage two, only for stage 2+ is when the supporting mods come in. Curious what everyone thinks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 07:24 PM   #40
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I would get an intercooler. Otherwise the turbo inlet and Diverter valve did improve throttle response and power.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #41
VGSON
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyryap View Post

VRSF Catless downpipe
CTS cold air intake
Stage 2 MHD

I’m wondering what supporting mods I should do next? I know charge pipe and intercooler on two of them. Any suggestions of which I should do first or both at once?
According to MHD on my car, I don’t need anything for stage two, only for stage 2+ is when the supporting mods come in. Curious what everyone thinks
Get your charge pipe and intercooler next. The factory plastic charge pipe will break soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 05:02 PM   #42
mikeyryap
Private
Rep

What’s the best charge pipe? I’m thinking ARM Motorsports. Any thoughts? And FMIC too
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 08:58 AM   #43
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyryap View Post

VRSF Catless downpipe
CTS cold air intake
Stage 2 MHD

Intercooler and charge pipe next. They should be done together since you have to remove and re install the intercooler to change the charge pipe anyways. I went with CSF intercooler and FTP charge pipe since it’s probably the most popular choice here, and I couldn’t be happier.

Next will be diverter valve and turbo inlet. Again you’ll want to do these together to save on labour. I went with GFB diverter valve and MST v2 turbo inlet and highly recommend both. This was a great upgrade it really makes the car that much more enjoyable to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 10:54 AM   #44
mikeyryap
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Intercooler and charge pipe next. They should be done together since you have to remove and re install the intercooler to change the charge pipe anyways. I went with CSF intercooler and FTP charge pipe since it’s probably the most popular choice here, and I couldn’t be happier.

Next will be diverter valve and turbo inlet. Again you’ll want to do these together to save on labour. I went with GFB diverter valve and MST v2 turbo inlet and highly recommend both. This was a great upgrade it really makes the car that much more enjoyable to drive.
And you’re stage Stage 2 or stage 2+?
Appreciate 0