BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2CS versus M4C

View Poll Results: For roughly 84K, which would you take?
M2 CS 86 84.31%
M4C 16 15.69%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

06-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #45
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
You and me both, brother! Love stories like this and just puts things in perspective. Silly arguments for sure, but so fortunate to have them nonetheless.

I see you have a deposit down for a CS. Any update on when orders go live?
Still nothing. Hoping for allocation info in July, then we'll see from there. I'm #1 allocation at the dealer, so I'm confident there. Just a matter of time from there.

I updated the post with the other part of the story that's fun too .
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #46
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

@sdhotwn - Well, I'm torn...I feel some people may be upset if we bring up Porsche again. But I'm also curious to hear about what you and Chris discussed about the 911R.

Oh what the hell, I think this thread has received every single POV on what people thinks. Share with us your story!
      06-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #47
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
@sdhotwn - Well, I'm torn...I feel some people may be upset if we bring up Porsche again. But I'm also curious to hear about what you and Chris discussed about the 911R.

Oh what the hell, I think this thread has received every single POV on what people thinks. Share with us your story!
I think if you're spending this kind of money, you should first take a look around. Sometimes we get tunnel vision. I'm not saying either of these are bad cars at all, but I have to also consider what else is at that price point.

An M2C vs a Supra....M2 definitely wins IMO.

The only reason I bring Porsche up is because with their CPO warranty, you're almost negating any miles put on by the previous owner and with some models, you can own them a couple years and sell for more or close to virtually what you paid.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #48
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Quote:

I think if you're spending this kind of money, you should first take a look around. Sometimes we get tunnel vision. I'm not saying either of these are bad cars at all, but I have to also consider what else is at that price point.

The only reason I bring Porsche up is because with their CPO warranty, you're almost negating any miles put on by the previous owner and with some models, you can own them a couple years and sell for more or close to virtually what you paid.
And I also agree with you. I was being a bit cheeky with my Porsche comment and in no way was that directed at you.

As you can see from my previous post, I said for $84K, you can indeed get a very nice CPO GTS. I also realized at that price point, I can go either way between a M2CS or GTS. At this point, there is no clear answer, depends on a lot of factors I mentioned previously (eg. current state of the collection, practicality, investment, etc).

I think at the end of the day, most will agree we need both. I know at least one lucky owner who owns both a GTS and a M2C. Boy, I have some major envy there.
      06-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #49
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:

Yep, I agree. I looked at a lot of things before I settled back to the CS. The test drive in the OG M2 settled it for me. I was hell bent on not buying another BMW (no real good reasons, just fatigue as I've been racing/owning them for around 12 years now).

There are a number of reasons I can see taking the Supra over the M2, but the wind buffeting and the lack of manual (plus rear seats again for me) would be the issues. I love the looks and the B58, and was impressed that Randy P put down a faster lap in it than the M2 at Laguna.

Porsche also seems to largely defy most of depreciation, so you have that going with the CPO. We did CPO on our X3 and it was an awesome thing overall for us, and in general I'd try to do only CPO purchases where possible!
2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 06-30-2020 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #50
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:

He loved the 911R, thought it was a great driving experience and the best of the 911's at that point, I don't remember much other details from that car conversation other than he also thought that they were getting overpriced at that point (they were out less than a year when he had this one). That one was on loan to him from the factory to check out and give feedback to the Porsche engineers on. He was fabulous to talk to. He signed my helmet visor as well. He is a total crazy car nerd in person. He freaked out about the Pagani you can see in the background. Ran right over to it and started talking to the factory driver about the variances on that particular one because it was one of the first factory cars. He also said it was really weird standing where we were talking because it was halfway between the studio where Top Gear is filmed and the green room trailer and he said it was where he would get most nervous as he walked over. He drove two hours out of his way to come say hi to the 12 of us that were there for the Pirelli event after a full day of testing at a track (I can't remember if it was Silverstone or something else). Was a pretty incredible day between driving all the cars (including flogging a 570S around the actual TG test track myself) and meeting Chris and hanging out with some of the TG producers etc. My wife said I looked like a Colgate commercial all day I was smiling so much.

Oh... and the Stig lit the brakes on the McLaren on fire when he started taking us out for hot laps...

The cars:
Attached Images

2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 06-30-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      06-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #51
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Quote:

He loved the 911R, thought it was a great driving experience, but also thought that they were getting way overpriced at that point (they were out less than a year when he had this one). That one was on loan to him from the factory to check out. He was fabulous to talk to. He signed my helmet visor as well. He is a total crazy car nerd in person. He freaked out about the pagani you can see in the background. Ran right over to it and started talking to the factory driver about the variances on that particular one because it was one of the first factory cars. He also said it was really weird standing where we were talking because it was halfway between the studio where Top Gear is filmed and the green room trailer and he said it was where he would get most nervous as he walked over. He drove two hours out of his way to come way high to the 12 of us that were there for the Pirelli event after a full day of testing at a track (I can't remember if it was Silverstone or something else). Was a pretty incredible day between driving all the cars (including flogging a 570S around the actual TG test track myself) and meeting Chris and hanging out with some of the TG producers etc. My wife said I looked like a Colgate commercial all day I was smiling so much.

Oh... and the Stig lit the brakes on the McLaren on fire when he started taking us out for hot laps...
Oh wow, even reading your story brought a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like Chris Harris is just like how I imagine he would be, very down to earth and still a fan girl of great cars at heart by the sound of it.

What an incredible day and props for Porsche for making the GT3 touring as a result of this. I've said this before, but my absolute exit car would be the GT3 touring. Some may dream of owning an exotic or the like. But for me, just give me a GT3 T and I will be forever happy.

...now we have really derailed from your original post 😂😂
      06-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #52
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
...now we have really derailed from your original post 😂😂
A wee bit. Thanks for sharing in the fun memories with me!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      07-01-2020, 03:18 AM   #53
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
You seem kinda defensive every time Porsche gets mentioned on the forum, eh? "We" seem to just encompass two individuals on the forum who for whatever reason likes to live only in the BMW bubble.
Using your weird logic to compare different cars. Ok. Why not get the F-Pace SVR instead of the M2CS?

It is only a little more expensive but has more power and looks just as cool. You can even get it in the same colour scheme.

It is closer to the M2CS as it has more storage and seating room and is an exciting thing to drive.

They also have the same quarter mile time at around 12s flat and same sub 4s 0-60 (both faster than the Cayman). Extra bonus is that they both have an understated style and class that doesn't leave you looking like a total douche like a Porsche as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:15 AM   #54
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
You seem kinda defensive every time Porsche gets mentioned on the forum, eh? "We" seem to just encompass two individuals on the forum who for whatever reason likes to live only in the BMW bubble.
Using your weird logic to compare different cars. Ok. Why not get the F-Pace SVR instead of the M2CS?

It is only a little more expensive but has more power and looks just as cool. You can even get it in the same colour scheme.

It is closer to the M2CS as it has more storage and seating room and is an exciting thing to drive.

They also have the same quarter mile time at around 12s flat and same sub 4s 0-60 (both faster than the Cayman). Extra bonus is that they both have an understated style and class that doesn't leave you looking like a total douche like a Porsche as well.
Well Davil, the journey of car buying does not have to be "logical" in the traditional sense. Car buying is an emotional purchase and sometimes people compare vehicles that are not necessary in the same "class".

For example, prior to me settling on the M2C, I also considered a ND Miata, Porsche 911T, Macan GTS/Turbo and MB GLC AMG 63. Therefore, the Jaguar is a mighty choice and even though I personally have not driven a F-Pace, I respect it and from a design perspective, it does look quite nice.

Now, we get you're not a fan of Porsche and apparently resort to name calling to substantiate your argument. That is your prerogative, no matter how irrational and childish you may sound.
      07-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #55
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For example, prior to me settling on the M2C, I also considered a ND Miata, Porsche 911T, Macan GTS/Turbo and MB GLC AMG 63. Therefore, the Jaguar is a mighty choice and even though I personally have not driven a F-Pace, I respect it and from a design perspective, it does look quite nice.

Now, we get you're not a fan of Porsche and apparently resort to name calling to substantiate your argument. That is your prerogative, no matter how irrational and childish you may sound.
I am simply more irritated at the constant Strawman argument in EVERY CS thread.

They may as well have just named it the Porsche Strawman.

Re the douche comment. Maybe it's a cultural thing but Porsche has that reputation down here. Maybe different in the US?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #56
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I am simply more irritated at the constant Strawman argument in EVERY CS thread.

They may as well have just named it the Porsche Strawman.

Re the douche comment. Maybe it's a cultural thing but Porsche has that reputation down here. Maybe different in the US?
That's fair enough, I hear you.

But let's level set a bit here since I think we're on the same page. I have made it clear previously, I love the M2CS. And for the cost, it is a wonderful machine. My only comment on Porsche has been about other possibilities at exactly $84K. I wholeheartedly agree that you can not compare a 718 GTS to a CS spec for spec because of obvious cost delta.

Now don't be confused that even though I brought up a used 718 GTS, it mitigates my love for the CS. The specialness of the CS and LE nature alone is worthy of its choice.

In a parallel comparison, there are many enthusiasts who would gladly pay more for a E30 M3 or a M3 CSL. On paper and from a non-enthusiasts, that cannot possibly make sense vs. buying a brand new whatever. But enthusiasts righty do this because of how "special" it is. And again, on paper any or most modern performance cars will wipe the floor with these two BMW classics. But that is not the point...

I hope this clears the air for you and I indeed I'm not here to bring down the CS in anyway. If I didn't have other priorities or limitations, my deposit for the CS would still be sitting pretty at my dealer.

Regarding your cultural douche comment. Ok, i guess it may be different in the US. In fact, BMW drivers are considered "douches". But that's a whole separate conversation.
      07-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #57
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Why would someone want a new M4C now?

The new G M3/M4 is already on the horizon and they are more engaging to drive, has a 6MT + RWD and much faster, no spun crank hub issue...etc

The new M3 lapped the Nürburgring below 7min 38sec, faster than the M3CS

https://www.caradvice.com.au/862206/...rototype-test/
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #58
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
This being an M2 forum, you are clearly going to get a number of biased responses, mine included.

That said, I specifically bought the M2C because my M3C was just too large and not enough fun. It is amazing to me how much more I like the M2C.

While as a DD I cannot justify the M2CS vs. the M2C, it is going to be a very special car and of course much more rare that the outgoing M4C. And thank whatever higher power you believe in that the M2CS is available with a MT.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #59
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
What about an LCF?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #60
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Why would someone want a new M4C now?

The new G M3/M4 is already on the horizon and they are more engaging to drive, has a 6MT + RWD and much faster, no spun crank hub issue...etc

The new M3 lapped the Nürburgring below 7min 38sec, faster than the M3CS

https://www.caradvice.com.au/862206/...rototype-test/
Agreed with this as F82 M4 is old news. Besides there is supposed to be differences between a CS level car and a Competition level car. Also the smaller M2 CS will most likely be more fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:46 PM   #61
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
What about an LCF?

And

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #62
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:

Jaguar warranty and included maintenance was a pleasant surprise to me. Ultra blue is very attractive in person.

Edit: I just optioned one for fun. $102k. Hope there are some incentives. That's more than I negotiated my ftype svr vert. 2021 has a refresh coming.

Last edited by medphysdave; 07-05-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #63
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Jaguar warranty and included maintenance was a pleasant surprise to me. Ultra blue is very attractive in person.

Edit: I just optioned one for fun. $102k. Hope there are some incentives. That's more than I negotiated my ftype svr vert. 2021 has a refresh coming.
Yes. Just heard about the refresh. Probably best to wait as it will likely get the Velar style interior update. Apparently the factory in Wales where they make the V8s will be closing soon though and there are rumours of them switching to BMW V8s. A large part of the appeal of this vehicle is the supercharged V8 and sound so that would be a real bummer.

My spec would be British Racing Green. That means custom order and 6 months wait anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:32 AM   #64
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Pilot View Post
Honestly, feeling ok to spend that amount on M4C but not on M2CS does not make much sense to me. For those who complain about to the interior quality, BMW added Merino leather in the M2 CS as well as nicer CF trim pieces etc. M2 CS also comes with CF hood and lightweight 763M wheels that are a plus compared to an M4C. For those who want CCB, they can option it on the CS as well and both cars also have CF roof.. I owned both M4C and M2C, and my M2C was definitely a more fun car to drive. M4C can offer HUD and full leather but those are small details for me. If I had to make decision between these two cars, I would definitely choose the M2CS.
I prefer the look of the M2CS Over the M4C and M4CS and like the fact they added Merino leather and carbon fibre handles inside (vs the straps in the M4CS). However, they should have added heads up display and given full leather interior as well. Would have also liked to have seen a Alcantara roof liner. In Canada it’s going to come out to over $110K if you go with Misano blue and a DCT. Pushing $120k all in with Ceramic brakes. For that price, the interior needs to be more high end. Cost is higher than My M3C with all options other than ceramic brakes.

Very tempting and if I had money to burn I’d buy it, been still thinking about it, but no way could I justify the price over a M2C. If they were producing more and there was a chance that prices would drop by $15k, I’d be all over it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #65
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

HUD is the one thing I really wish it'd have, love it in my F30
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #66
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Plenty of CS threads... why not another one

For all the discussion around the price etc, I was curious for other peoples' take around this comparison. I found that configuring out an M4C in my specs was within a couple hundred dollars of the M2CS.

So assuming they are the same price, how do you compare them? There has been lots of discussion around how the M2C is a better value than the M2CS for most and the price premium "isn't worth it". And then plenty of people chiming in that if they were going to spend that much on the M2CS they'd "just buy a Cayman GTS/GT4" etc. But it really hasn't come up for the direct comparison with the M family that there is nearly a dollar to dollar match in most discussions (I recognize that incentives/deals etc will drive the M4 price down from matching in more cases than for the M2CS however).

My mind is made up, so this isn't a "help me make a decision" but more an interest in how people look at this from the M2 side of the equation since it really didn't come up in the other threads.
M2 CS is absolutely worth it if you're tracking it competitively, but if you aren't the M2C is just fine.
Appreciate 0