BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2CS versus M4C

View Poll Results: For roughly 84K, which would you take?
M2 CS 86 84.31%
M4C 16 15.69%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

06-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #23
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Looks like they're about $5k (I assume plus shipping) if you want the tires. If my ED doesn't work out, I am seriously considering a set of these for my M4 (the gold ones on my gray car) possibly along with the M performance suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #24
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
Fronts

Rears
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      06-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #25
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazChem View Post
Thank you! Looks like they will be ~$3,310 (w/o tax) with free shipping for just the wheels. That's not too bad since I am not really interested in Cup 2s anyways.

Might work out perfectly since I need winter tires. Keep the 763M as my summer setup and use the 788M as my winter. Or at least that's how I'm going to rationalize the purchase...sounds good, right? 😉
      06-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #26
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That’s the route I would have done if hadn’t waited until after winter to get mine. Although having two sets of satin black wheels is rather nice.
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      06-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #27
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Lazy question, can I just swap tires from my 788Ms to the 763M? Basically are they the same size? I don't want Cups 2s that come with the set.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #28
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes. Wheels are the same width. Any tire place would be able to swap them.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #29
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

M4s are just a bit too big
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #30
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose between tears, I would probably go with the M2CS. Truth be told for that price, I would probably go with another car all together. M4 is a little bigger than I would like. M2CS just doesn’t have the value in it to make me feel comfortable.

I’m perfectly happy right now with the M2C and some supporting mods. But for $84K, I might start looking into a 718 GTS or maybe even a C63S (heresy I know) instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #31
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
If you put a gun to my head and made me choose between tears, I would probably go with the M2CS. Truth be told for that price, I would probably go with another car all together. M4 is a little bigger than I would like. M2CS just doesn’t have the value in it to make me feel comfortable.

I’m perfectly happy right now with the M2C and some supporting mods. But for $84K, I might start looking into a 718 GTS or maybe even a C63S (heresy I know) instead.
$84K would get you a very nice F4 GTS. Especially with the F6 being released and more readily available. No question that would be my move. Run, don't walk!

May make the switch myself in a few years...or just get the Spyder...so good
///AVM2528.00
      06-30-2020, 12:14 AM   #32
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Ah the usual suspects. If you want a Cayman. Buy one. We don't need to know about it. Honest.

The poll was whether you would get an M2CS or an M4C.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:28 AM   #33
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Ah the usual suspects. If you want a Cayman. Buy one. We don't need to know about it. Honest.

The poll was whether you would get an M2CS or an M4C.
You seem kinda defensive every time Porsche gets mentioned on the forum, eh? "We" seem to just encompass two individuals on the forum who for whatever reason likes to live only in the BMW bubble.

Also, the point of a forum is to have open dialogue and bring in differing perspectives. If this does not suit your wish, well I just don't know what to tell you...
      06-30-2020, 09:57 AM   #34
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
You seem kinda defensive every time Porsche gets mentioned on the forum, eh? "We" seem to just encompass two individuals on the forum who for whatever reason likes to live only in the BMW bubble.

Also, the point of a forum is to have open dialogue and bring in differing perspectives. If this does not suit your wish, well I just don't know what to tell you...
I think it's more that it's been covered pretty exhaustively, and I even addressed it at the start of the thread specifically. I considered Porsche's at length. BMW wasn't even in the cards when I started shopping before putting in the deposit on the CS - I really wanted a change of pace and didn't want another BMW. So I definitely "get" it. At the same time I'm bemused a bit every time I see some of the comparisons because having gone through the actual test drives and comparisons and math and shopping, many of the explanations given don't actually add up. Even the one that started it in this thread

"But for $84K, I might start looking into a 718 GTS". You can't really. It starts at 86,800 and adding just adjustable seats and metallic paint, you are in for 93k - without PDK or carbon brakes or navigation or anything else. Optioned how I wanted one I ended up at 102k (miami blue, manual, nav, sport seats, premium package - no fancy interior bits or anything). Then used options get mentioned... and well at that point everything under the sun becomes a choice if price and age become flexible - get an Evora, or an M4 GTS, or a 996 GT3, or even a 997 GT3 if you stretch or go with a tired one, or an Elise AND and an Exige, a GT350 for track days and a used for 4 series for daily driving... Get a full tow trailer, Formula Ford or NC Miata Cup car, and a used X5M! You can do a LOT with 85k.
2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 06-30-2020 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #35
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I think it's more that it's been covered pretty exhaustively, and I even addressed it at the start of the thread specifically. I considered Porsche's at length. BMW wasn't even in the cards when I started shopping before putting in the deposit on the CS - I really wanted a change of pace and didn't want another BMW. So I definitely "get" it. At the same time I'm bemused a bit every time I see some of the comparisons because having gone through the actual test drives and comparisons and math and shopping, many of the explanations given don't actually add up. Even the one that started it in this thread

"But for $84K, I might start looking into a 718 GTS". You can't really. It starts at 86,800 and adding just adjustable seats and metallic paint, you are in for 93k - without PDK or carbon brakes or navigation or anything else. Optioned how I wanted one I ended up at 102k (miami blue, manual, nav, sport seats, premium package - no fancy interior bits or anything). Then used options get mentioned... and well at that point everything under the sun becomes a choice if price and age become flexible - get an Evora, or an M4 GTS, or a 996 GT3, or even a 997 GT3 if you stretch or go with a tired one, or an Elise AND and an Exige, a GT350 for track days and a used for 4 series for daily driving... Get a full tow trailer, Formula Ford or NC Miata Cup car, and a used X5M! You can do a LOT with 85k.
Yea, the GTS is quite pricey. I specced a manual one out to $96.6k in the python green I love, premium, without nav or power seats, but some interior bits. If my M2C doesn't work out, I think I'll order it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #36
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
Yea, the GTS is quite pricey. I specced a manual one out to $96.6k in the python green I love, premium, without nav or power seats, but some interior bits. If my M2C doesn't work out, I think I'll order it.
They are fabulous cars. In the end the long gears, the road noise, and the lack of back seats killed it for me (I was testing the 981 GT4, and have been in a friends 718 GTS). The back seats became a bigger issues when I thought more about how much it'd limit me driving it during the week with two small kids. Less of an issue in the future certainly.

I've just been really surprised at all the weird undies in a bunch on here about the M2 CS prices when I've never really heard people say that an M3 or M4 optioned out was "too much money". To me an M2 that gives me as much performance in a better driving package. Heck yeah! I realize that for others the fact that you can get 98% of that for 25k less is the issue. To me that's more that the M2C is just an AMAZING value rather than the M2CS being overpriced.

Also python green - love it!! I just do only blue for my cars... but that green is amazing!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      06-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #37
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They are fabulous cars. In the end the long gears, the road noise, and the lack of back seats killed it for me (I was testing the 981 GT4, and have been in a friends 718 GTS). The back seats became a bigger issues when I thought more about how much it'd limit me driving it during the week with two small kids. Less of an issue in the future certainly.

I've just been really surprised at all the weird undies in a bunch on here about the M2 CS prices when I've never really heard people say that an M3 or M4 optioned out was "too much money". To me an M2 that gives me as much performance in a better driving package. Heck yeah! I realize that for others the fact that you can get 98% of that for 25k less is the issue. To me that's more that the M2C is just an AMAZING value rather than the M2CS being overpriced.

Also python green - love it!! I just do only blue for my cars... but that green is amazing!
Yea, I think it's all relative. A lot of the folks on these boards remember when a loaded E46 M3C was $55k...so they balk at the higher prices. I actually agree, a $85-90k M3/4 is a bit much vs. the M2CS. If anything, you're most definitely right on the M2C. I was telling a buddy that, with a sticker around $62k for an exec with a stick (US sticker) it's a total steal compared to a 2005 M3C which retailed at $54,700 per the mag test I looked up last week. A decade and a half of inflation and improvements and the successor is only ~$7k more...nuts!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #38
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:

I think you misunderstood my statement. I was very vocal in saying you can't compare a M2CS with a 718 GTS due to the final price of options, etc. My statement was if you're spending $84K, that would get you a nice GTS, which means it will most likely be preowned. There are many 2019 CPOs listed at that price.

However, if you have limitations in owning an outright sports car (eg. practicality), The M2 variants have its appeal, that is why I have one on order.

My comment was in response to Davil who apparently felt the need to call out anyone who brings up Porsche in this forum. Whether he just had a bad day (which is fine, we have all been there) or otherwise, I think bringing perspectives is important in the broader discussion.

Also, not sure where your subsequent comments are directed to, but I love the M2CS and I think it is a great buy for the money (my comments in various threads support this ). If you're getting one, good for you and I can't wait to see it!
Appreciate 2
sdhotwn2128.50
///AVM2528.00
      06-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #39
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my statement. I was very vocal in saying you can't compare a M2CS with a 718 GTS due to the final price of options, etc. My statement was if you're spending $84K, that would get you a nice GTS, which means it will most likely be preowned. There are many 2019 CPOs listed at that price.

However, if you have limitations in owning an outright sports car (eg. practicality), The M2 variants have its appeal, that is why I have one on order.

My comment was in response to Davil who apparently felt the need to call out anyone who brings up Porsche in this forum. Whether he just had a bad day (which is fine, we have all been there) or otherwise, I think bringing perspectives is important in the broader discussion.

Also, not sure where your subsequent comments are directed to, but I love the M2CS and I think it is a great buy for the money (my comments in various threads support this ). If you're getting one, good for you and I can't wait to see it!
Ah, my apologies - I applied my preconceptions from a lot of the other discussions around the section I quoted from pz619. There have been quite a few posts in other threads where people have implied they could just go buy a new Cayman (even a new GT4) for the price of CS, which isn't true. Your response did reference the F4 version which would be used, and I didn't really separate that from the cost of new point when I was also tying to point out that going used it becomes a bit of "the world is your oyster" on choice once you go to the used market, especially if you are willing to give up on warranty etc. If you stick with CPO etc, then it's a bit more restricted, which you also did reference and I missed that nuance. You had a clear point that I glossed over in my attempt to paint the slippery slope.

I'm not particularly bothered either way by the Porsche thing coming up, but I do have to admit that I'm surprised at the sheer frequency relative to the CS - and the honest reason why I did the poll - nobody seemed to mention the M3/M4 (or even base 8 series or other BMW options) and I was curious on that choice set instead. It has seemed like the default "insult" used to attack the expense of the M2 CS is "if you spend that much, just get a real sports car and buy a Porsche" which is nonsensical both from the fact that you need to spend more for a new Porsche of equivalent capability, and from a practicality/segment type the overlap isn't there. So I think Davil and a few others are just fed up with hearing it since it seems to be the go to "argument ender" comment against the CS despite some potential logic holes. I don't take away that they or others have any issue with Porsche's, or even the discussion of them, just the way they are used to rag on the choices of others - that could likely be just my rosy view though too. Either way, I've spilled more characters on this than it warrants...

Thanks for your response though, I genuinely appreciate it, and I hope my responses didn't come across as antagonistic or judgmental, as that was not the intent!
2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 06-30-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
JCZ51482.50
///AVM2528.00
      06-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #40
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
It has seemed like the default "insult" used to attack the expense of the M2 CS is "if you spend that much, just get a real sports car and buy a Porsche" which is nonsensical both from the fact that you need to spend more for a new Porsche of equivalent capability, and from a practicality/segment type the overlap isn't there.
I love this statement and support it to the fullest. There is room to have both in one's garage and I would consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to do this in the future.

I may have taken some residue annoyance from other threads in my response to Davil, but regardless, I try and respect everyone. At the end of the day, we are all auto and BMW enthusiasts. Some may like apples, some oranges, some BMW, some Porsche, there is room for all at the table.

I will also be lying if I said I didn't have an inkling of switching my M2C order to a M2CS again...but then again, it does show how amazing the M2C truly is to be even in this discussion, as you pointed out earlier.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      06-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #41
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

I generally agree with the if you want new, you have to pay more for the Porsche. That said, it is somewhat similar to the M4 argument. A leftover 2019 GTS can be found for under $84k. The M2CS not so much. I was looking at them before ordering the M2C, but I just couldn't do the 4 cylinder. Once that's factored in, many of us are right back up to the top of this statement.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #42
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
I love this statement and support it to the fullest. There is room to have both in one's garage and I would consider myself very lucky to have the opportunity to do this in the future.

I may have taken some residue annoyance from other threads in my response to Davil, but regardless, I try and respect everyone. At the end of the day, we are all auto and BMW enthusiasts. Some may like apples, some oranges, some BMW, some Porsche, there is room for all at the table.

I will also be lying if I said I didn't have an inkling of switching my M2C order to a M2CS again...but then again, it does show how amazing the M2C truly is to be even in this discussion, as you pointed out earlier.

And how lucky are we that we get to experience these cars. Growing up as a kid these cars were just sheer dreams in my upbringing. There was no way that I was ever going to see something like this in my garage in my life. So to have multiples, and to be able to buy them freely, and have not yet crossed my 40th birthday is unbelievable to me. I can remember the first time I visited my brother at college in Madison when I was in grade school and saw a Porsche 911 drive down the street and I was just agape that people "REALLY DRIVE THOSE!!" Then in college I can remember seeing a brand new E46 M3 in the showroom and saw the 55K pricetag on it and just couldn't imagine ever having that kind of money to own a car like that, but how I would have loved to some day... and yet less than 20 years later I'm in that world I thought was unachievable and participating in silly arguments around it too.

Photo attached of that time I got to chat with Chris Harris about his 911R at the Top Gear track....
Attached Images

2014 Cayman S

Last edited by sdhotwn; 06-30-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      06-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #43
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Looking at what else is out there, I just don't see myself paying $80K+ for an M2. If I had to choose, it would have to be the M4 in this case, but even that is a stretch for me. At $84k, I can get a CPO 991.2 911.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #44
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And how lucky are we that we get to experience these cars. Growing up as a kid these cars were just sheer dreams in my upbringing. There was no way that I was ever going to see something like this in my garage in my life. So to have multiples, and to be able to buy them freely, and have not yet crossed my 40th birthday is unbelievable to me. I can remember the first time I visited my brother at college in Madison when I was in grade school and saw a Porsche 911 drive down the street and I was just agape that people "REALLY DRIVE THOSE!!" Then in college I can remember seeing a brand new E46 M3 in the showroom and saw the 55K pricetag on it and just couldn't imagine ever having that kind of money to own a car like that, but how I would have loved to some day... and yet less than 20 years later I'm in that world I thought was unachievable and participating in silly arguments around it too.
You and me both, brother! Love stories like this and just puts things in perspective. Silly arguments for sure, but so fortunate to have them nonetheless.

I see you have a deposit down for a CS. Any update on when orders go live?