BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Cobra Nogaro Seats Installed!

06-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #67
Mike0105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
A 5'4" 110lb female has no problem, but an average sized 5'10" 160lb male will. I have to snake my way into the back seats, and it's not really easy, though it's possible. Basically: your kids are fine, but your friends might not be.
Good to know...the backseat is only for kids so it sounds like it would work just fine
Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:37 PM   #68
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
Ok, the last thing I wanted to do was display the seats in my living room in a way that they weren't just sitting on the ground (since I want to keep them around in case I need to update the IStep version...). I found someone in the UK who designed industrial chair frames that fit our seats, and he was able to build me a kit for export that was custom built for our seats!

Check out https://www.scavengerdesignbrighton.co.uk/ and shoot Joe an email if you're interested--he's super skilled and his prices are very reasonable, even shipped to the US.
Very cool!

Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:23 AM   #69
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Bad ass set up man! Love it
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #70
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Update: turns out my local track disallows four points (you need either 3, 5 or 6...). Luckily (though actually, not at all lucky--I planned for this to eventually happen), the Brey Krause mounts have the ability to add a BK harness bar (R-9258: https://www.bkauto.com/R_9258_Sub_St...p/r-9258.htm); and the Schroth QuickFit Pros can add a sub-strap (https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/...-strap-ii.html). I ordered both directly from HMS and they arrived a few days later--the folks there are great to work with.

A few notes:
- You don't need the hardware for the sub-strap, as you're just wrapping it around the bar--keep it for the next racecar
- The BK bar fits exactly at it's minimum length: I'd take out the length adjusting screws, pull the jam nuts off the bottom, and re-thread them on the top using a thin (1/4" height, 1/2" opening) wrench. Think bike wrenches. That's basically the right width for the Nogaro.
- You can install it while in the car, no need to take the seat out of the car.
- IMO, the sub-strap should be mounted at the minimum strap length (wrap as close to the D ring as possible, you'll have a few extra inches of strap); otherwise it'll be too long (at least in my experience being an average sized American male)

Attached is a pic pre-mounting; will update later with a pic of it mounted (hint: it just looks like a six point harness...). I left the cam lock on the right side since I probably don't want to run the six point on the street (I can tuck it into the cushions), but it's easy enough to switch if you want.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #71
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I am wondering if someone can help me. I can't seem to find the right things to code in esys for removing the factory seats. I see the items in prior posts but I don't see them when I code. Looking for some guidance please. One thing that confuses me is that I see two non-direct F20s. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #72
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

I just did this yesterday with no issues. I think you need to right click then edit code, then it pops up a new area where you can find the specifics. It was my first time coding anything, so thankful that it wasn't too bad for my first time.
      03-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #73
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
I just did this yesterday with no issues. I think you need to right click then edit code, then it pops up a new area where you can find the specifics. It was my first time coding anything, so thankful that it wasn't too bad for my first time.
Will be doing this soon. As I understand it the Driver and Passenger Air Bags, and Passenger Seat Sensor are what needs to be codded, is there anything else that needs to be coded?
      03-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #74
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Will be doing this soon. As I understand it the Driver and Passenger Air Bags, and Passenger Seat Sensor are what needs to be codded, is there anything else that needs to be coded?
Follow exactly what's on page 2 and you'll be set. The OP did a good job of making it easy for us.
      03-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #75
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Follow exactly what's on page 2 and you'll be set. The OP did a good job of making it easy for us.
That's what I did - tried to follow his instructions but I am not seeing those options. Still looking for help unfortunately. Do I have the right car selected in the bottom of my screen shot above? I am normally not computer illiterate but am feeling pretty dumb at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 08:28 PM   #76
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
That's what I did - tried to follow his instructions but I am not seeing those options. Still looking for help unfortunately. Do I have the right car selected in the bottom of my screen shot above? I am normally not computer illiterate but am feeling pretty dumb at this point.
Can you post what happens when you right click? Which options show up, I mean edit FDL before not edit code.

I can't remember which CAFD it's in too, you may have to read coding data for all 3 then edit FDL each one until it shows. The 3000 etc.
      03-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #77
skyjunky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

I did this yesterday and had a few problems that I eventually figured out, this might help others.

I only changed my drivers seat, the passenger seat has not changed.
DO NOT CODE THE PASSENGER SETTINGS IF YOU DON'T CHANGE THAT SEAT.
Turns out if you disable an airbag or other setting the car gets confused because it sees the airbag there but disabled, and this causes an code fault.
Passenger settings to set to nicht_aktiv (only if you change the seat) are:
CIS_Beifaher (Passenger occupancy sensor)
Sitzairbag_Thorax_Beifahrer (Passenger seat airbag)
Sitzpositionsensor_Beifahrer (Passenger seat position sensor) (this was already nicht_aktiv)
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Beifahrer (Passenger seat position sensor memory)

If you get a Passenger or Driver Restraint error it might mean you forgot to plug in the seatbelt latch sensor back into the main seat connector, the connector is not keyed, if you plug it in the wrong way round you will get an error.

I had my seat replaced at a shop, they put in an airbag resistor on my drivers seat that fools the car into thinking the airbag is still there.
If you get this resistor installed leave "Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer" as "activ".
If you don't you will get an error because the car thinks the airbag is there but you turned it off.

I had to use tool32.exe to clear the errors after changing the setting, without this the codes were stuck in the system even though I fixed the errors.
Best way to experiment if you are having issues is change one setting at a time, then clear errors to see if you fixed it.

In my case with the driver seat only with airbag resistor installed at the shop the only ECU setting I had to change was:
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor memory) from aktiv to nicht_aktiv
2001 325ci - sold
1998 318is - gone
Appreciate 1
ebisu81073.50
      03-14-2021, 08:10 PM   #78
skyjunky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
I took some screen shots.

The first shows you the CAFD section you need to edit, click Edit FDL as I marked. (right click on the item to show this menu)

The second shows you the screen after you click Edit FDL, all the setting you need to change are under the folder marked Functionen I circled red.

The third shows you how to change the value of the setting.
After you change the setting, hit the save icon on the menu bar at the top.
Then hit the back button (green arrow pointing left)
Connect to your car (if you haven't already) (you can edit these settings with the car disconnected)
Activate the FA (right click on the FA folder in the "Vehicle order" window)
Then make sure the correct CAFD is highlighted and press the "Code FDL" button on the mid/lower right side of the window, this is what programs the car.
It will take a few seconds and, assuming it works, you'll see a green success message after a couple of clicks and you can disconnect and you are done.

All at your own risk of course, no guarantee that what I wrote will work.

Note: on the Edit FDL window there is a search bar at the top, you can type in the German names and it will find the field for you, make sure it is in the right section, if the item appears in multiple places it will find all of them.
Attached Images

2001 325ci - sold
1998 318is - gone

Last edited by skyjunky; 03-14-2021 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:51 AM   #79
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Or, you can try another alternative for those challenged with DIY coding, or issues with recurrent faults due to software differences between different model years. And that is using various emulators to "emulate" the seat airbag, occupancy mat (for the passenger seat), and seat belt receptacle (for passenger).

I am finishing up my Nogaro install in my F80 M3 (and this thread has been part of my research). I have coding experience and several coding tools, but I still wanted a full "plug-n-play" solution for my Nogaro seat upgrade that did not require any coding. I purchased the necessary emulators, then wired them to the donor OEM seat sliders. As a test, I plugged in the passenger seat slider to test the emulators - no SRS or restraint errors, the car was happy. I used ISTA to see if there were any minor error codes and the only one present was a LIN bus error because the seat heating controls were disconnected - so not unexpected.

Pics below of the setup using OEM BMW connectors to make things plug-n-play...
Attached Images

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #80
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Or, you can try another alternative for those challenged with DIY coding, or issues with recurrent faults due to software differences between different model years. And that is using various emulators to "emulate" the seat airbag, occupancy mat (for the passenger seat), and seat belt receptacle (for passenger).

I am finishing up my Nogaro install in my F80 M3 (and this thread has been part of my research). I have coding experience and several coding tools, but I still wanted a full "plug-n-play" solution for my Nogaro seat upgrade that did not require any coding. I purchased the necessary emulators, then wired them to the donor OEM seat sliders. As a test, I plugged in the passenger seat slider to test the emulators - no SRS or restraint errors, the car was happy. I used ISTA to see if there were any minor error codes and the only one present was a LIN bus error because the seat heating controls were disconnected - so not unexpected.

Pics below of the setup using OEM BMW connectors to make things plug-n-play...
Do you have a link to where to get these...
      03-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #81
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Do you have a link to where to get these...
I got them from here: https://shop.blshop24.com

Keep in mind that in addition to the emulators, you will also need the individual plugs that install into the larger yellow plug. The big yellow plug came with the OEM sliders I purchased. The smaller plugs are as follows:

White: Seat belt receptacle and tensioner
Blue: Seat airbag
Grey: Seat position sensor (passenger side only)
Black: Seat occupancy sensor (passenger side only)

The white plug came with the new seat belt receptacle/tensioner I purchased (one for driver and passenger). The blue plug came from a junkyard F30 seat airbag. The grey plug came with the OEM passenger seat slider since the position sensor was still there (so I retained it). The black plug came from a junkyard F10 5-series donor seat occupancy mat. You could re-use all of these plugs from your car (and purchase the necessary harness wire pins from many BMW vendors), but I didn’t want to do that as I wanted a true plug-n-play seat solution for my aftermarket seat upgrade.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #82
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjunky View Post
If you get a Passenger or Driver Restraint error it might mean you forgot to plug in the seatbelt latch sensor back into the main seat connector, the connector is not keyed, if you plug it in the wrong way round you will get an error.
This was my issue, coded everything right and then realized that could be a problem. I still have two faults that won't go away, I'm not too concerned because they aren't flashing in the dash anywhere, just when i check in ISTA+.

See below, if anyone has recommendations on what to code if needed or if it's normal, just let me know.

03-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #83
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
This was my issue, coded everything right and then realized that could be a problem. I still have two faults that won't go away, I'm not too concerned because they aren't flashing in the dash anywhere, just when i check in ISTA+.

See below, if anyone has recommendations on what to code if needed or if it's normal, just let me know.

Those faults should not be an issue since technically, those modules are no longer in the car. However, those seat modules don't communicate with any of the airbag or SRS modules - they are there for seat heating and seat position control/interface. The airbag and SRS system communication all occur via the different plugs I mentioned in my post above.

And one other thing to add, the seatbelt plug, which is the white one I referenced above, is keyed in order to go into the larger yellow plug. In fact, all of those plugs are keyed. If you purchase a new/used seatbelt receptacle/tensioner, it should come wired correctly.

However, the pins in each plug are not keyed - just like in any other BMW harness. So if you decide to transfer your original plugs that go into the larger yellow plug as part of your swap, you will need to pay attention to the pin assignments for the applicable plug as you swap them over.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #84
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

I've got it all working just fine and plugged in correctly now. If there no need to address it, I'll leave it alone. Coding isn't hard at all once you have the right setup to get it done. Thanks for confirming tho.
      03-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #85
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
The important thing to note about the "No communication possible with..." errors is that they will cause flashing other modules to fail. I ran into this when the dealer did a warranty service to replace an overheating telematics unit and I had to load the seats into the back of the loaner M340i and head back to them so they could plug the seat controllers in and flash the new unit. I don't recommend selling your seats (or if you do, try to keep your controllers!).
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 07:04 PM   #86
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep

Interesting and good to know as well. I really have no need for them and won't really want to go back to them either. That said, what do 2020 M2C seats with blue stitch and 3500 miles go for these days haha.
      03-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #87
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Can you post what happens when you right click? Which options show up, I mean edit FDL before not edit code.

I can't remember which CAFD it's in too, you may have to read coding data for all 3 then edit FDL each one until it shows. The 3000 etc.
Found all the options and made the changes but not codes are cleared so I'll have to run through it again to see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #88
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I took some screen shots.

The first shows you the CAFD section you need to edit, click Edit FDL as I marked. (right click on the item to show this menu)

The second shows you the screen after you click Edit FDL, all the setting you need to change are under the folder marked Functionen I circled red.

The third shows you how to change the value of the setting.
After you change the setting, hit the save icon on the menu bar at the top.
Then hit the back button (green arrow pointing left)
Connect to your car (if you haven't already) (you can edit these settings with the car disconnected)
Activate the FA (right click on the FA folder in the "Vehicle order" window)
Then make sure the correct CAFD is highlighted and press the "Code FDL" button on the mid/lower right side of the window, this is what programs the car.
It will take a few seconds and, assuming it works, you'll see a green success message after a couple of clicks and you can disconnect and you are done.

All at your own risk of course, no guarantee that what I wrote will work.

Note: on the Edit FDL window there is a search bar at the top, you can type in the German names and it will find the field for you, make sure it is in the right section, if the item appears in multiple places it will find all of them.
Your screenshots helped immensely. Thanks!
Appreciate 0