BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Remus Sport + AA Midpipe Review (with Sound Clips)

04-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #89
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Setup sounds amazing.
If I go with the Remus Sport + AA midpipe, will it throw any CEL's?
No CEL as long as it's US spec car (i.e. no OPF).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #90
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Pilot View Post
Quote:
Setup sounds amazing.
If I go with the Remus Sport + AA midpipe, will it throw any CEL's?
No CEL as long as it's US spec car (i.e. no OPF).
Yup US car. I'm coming from an OG M2 with only a sport cat installed. I always wanted it to be a tad louder but didn't want to spend on just an exhaust. This time around I think I'll just jump into this combo instead of taking it slow with just the midpipe.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #91
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Yup US car. I'm coming from an OG M2 with only a sport cat installed. I always wanted it to be a tad louder but didn't want to spend on just an exhaust. This time around I think I'll just jump into this combo instead of taking it slow with just the midpipe.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #92
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Is this the single or EL AA midpipe?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:41 PM   #93
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is this the single or EL AA midpipe?
Single
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #94
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
It's the setup I have, and I love it. Not obnoxious in the least.
It’s loud anyway ?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 10:25 PM   #95
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Single
Did you get any problem with installation that setup , I just installed that setup but I have a really problem to align the exhaust and I’m not sure if Remus pipes are not to big to be connected with ad midpipe
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #96
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew30azs View Post
Quote:
Single
Did you get any problem with installation that setup , I just installed that setup but I have a really problem to align the exhaust and I’m not sure if Remus pipes are not to big to be connected with ad midpipe
Let me know your thoughts when you set it up. I'm going to instal the sport and EL midpipe next week. Would love to compare the two sounds.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #97
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Let me know your thoughts when you set it up. I'm going to instal the sport and EL midpipe next week. Would love to compare the two sounds.
Setup sounds amazing. No drone , no rasp , deep sound . I LIKE The way its sounds if you want The video 8603299598 Send me a text
Appreciate 1
Nicname351.00
      11-02-2021, 10:35 PM   #98
svenscu
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Hi,

I am almost convinced with your Remus Sport and AA mid pipe build.

Just a few questions:
1. Is there a difference with AA mid pipe equal length and if just AA not equal length with Remus Sport?
2. Then how is the tone at sports mode (not sports +) inside the car with Remus sport and AA mid pipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:36 PM   #99
svenscu
Rep

Quote:
As some members requested, here's my review on the Remus Sport+AA midpipe combo, which I think really transforms the infamous S55 tone dramatically in my opinion. As a background, I went through the following variations since June (all with stock downpipes):

1) Remus Race + AA midpipe (link to the review thread)
2) Remus Sport + stock midpipe
3) Remus Sport + AA midpipe (current)

I could only live with the first setup for a week. I used to think I have a high tolerance for loud exhaust but apparently I don’t 🙂 Even with stock downpipes, that combo was ridiculously loud for my taste and it made me more nervous than anything. Remus Race muffler has minimal restrictions in terms of volume so even with valves closed, I would get a slight drone near 80mph on highway. I then switched to Remus Sport but since I was afraid it could be too loud again, I paired it with the stock midpipe for awhile. I would say Remus Sport is one of my favorite axlebacks as it eliminates most of the S55 rasp by itself (exhaust outlets has built-in resonators which help a lot with adding a deeper tone). Even though I was extremely happy with Remus Sport+stock midpipe combo, I knew I had to give the AA midpipe a try with Remus Sport (I didn’t wanna regret not trying later on 😄 ). Long story short, I paired Remus Sport with AA midpipe yesterday and I absolutely love it. Nowhere near as loud as the Remus Race+AA combo and the sound is much more refined and deep. In fact, couple of my friends who own an OG M2 messaged me saying it sounds pretty similar to their N55. After all I just wanted to improve the sound of my S55 and I’m quite happy with the end result. I’ll let the videos speak for themselves. Here are some cold start, rev and fly-by recordings. For the most accurate representation of the sound, I recommend listening with your headphones since these are just iphone recordings.

Hi,

Just a few questions:
1. Is there a difference with AA mid pipe equal length and if just AA not equal length with Remus Sport?
2. Then how is the tone at sports mode (not sports +) inside the car with Remus sport and AA mid pipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 11:13 PM   #100
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenscu View Post
Quote:
As some members requested, here's my review on the Remus Sport+AA midpipe combo, which I think really transforms the infamous S55 tone dramatically in my opinion. As a background, I went through the following variations since June (all with stock downpipes):

1) Remus Race + AA midpipe (link to the review thread)
2) Remus Sport + stock midpipe
3) Remus Sport + AA midpipe (current)

I could only live with the first setup for a week. I used to think I have a high tolerance for loud exhaust but apparently I don't 🙂 Even with stock downpipes, that combo was ridiculously loud for my taste and it made me more nervous than anything. Remus Race muffler has minimal restrictions in terms of volume so even with valves closed, I would get a slight drone near 80mph on highway. I then switched to Remus Sport but since I was afraid it could be too loud again, I paired it with the stock midpipe for awhile. I would say Remus Sport is one of my favorite axlebacks as it eliminates most of the S55 rasp by itself (exhaust outlets has built-in resonators which help a lot with adding a deeper tone). Even though I was extremely happy with Remus Sport+stock midpipe combo, I knew I had to give the AA midpipe a try with Remus Sport (I didn't wanna regret not trying later on 😄 ). Long story short, I paired Remus Sport with AA midpipe yesterday and I absolutely love it. Nowhere near as loud as the Remus Race+AA combo and the sound is much more refined and deep. In fact, couple of my friends who own an OG M2 messaged me saying it sounds pretty similar to their N55. After all I just wanted to improve the sound of my S55 and I'm quite happy with the end result. I'll let the videos speak for themselves. Here are some cold start, rev and fly-by recordings. For the most accurate representation of the sound, I recommend listening with your headphones since these are just iphone recordings.

Hi,

Just a few questions:
I only had AA single paired with Remus Sport. I don't have the car anymore but if I did, I would have switched to AA equal length resonated with Remus Sport (I think this the best sounding combo).

Regarding your other question, not sure why you are asking specifically about Sport but not Sport+. The sound in the cabin solely depend on if the valves are open and if the ASD is coded off or not. The tone in the cabin is really nice when the valves are open in Sport/Sport+. It's just as quiet as stock with zero drone when the valves are closed.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #101
svenscu
Rep

Quote:
I only had AA single paired with Remus Sport. I don't have the car anymore but if I did, I would have switched to AA equal length resonated with Remus Sport (I think this ja the best sounding combo).

Regarding your other question, not sure why you are asking specifically about Sport but not Sport+. The sound in the cabin solely depend on if the valves are open and if the ASD is coded off or not. The tone in the cabin is really nice when the valves are open in Sport/Sport+. It's just as quiet as stock with zero drone when the valves are closed.
thank you for this. i ordered remus sport already earlier and AA, but our local supplier is saying to not need the equal length since it would sound the same according to remus, but i wanted to be sure if i needed to get the equal length.

for the sport/sport+, i am happy to hear that it sounds great in the cabin and i could switch to efficient when i want it to be quiet.

thank you very much for the quick response!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #102
svenscu
Rep

Quote:
I only had AA single paired with Remus Sport. I don't have the car anymore but if I did, I would have switched to AA equal length resonated with Remus Sport (I think this the best sounding combo).

May i ask if ever you still had the car, why would you change to AA EL vs your existing AA single midpipe?

Also, you said EL AA resonated instead of just EL AA? i'm not sure if they have the resonated option.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:14 PM   #103
Stryyker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 LBB M2C

Quote:
Quote:

May i ask if ever you still had the car, why would you change to AA EL vs your existing AA single midpipe?

Also, you said EL AA resonated instead of just EL AA? i'm not sure if they have the resonated option.
I may not be the person quoted in this but I have the single AA on my car and I am switching to AA EL resonated in the coming week. They offer the single midpipe now with resonated or straight connector pipes same as the equal length. My reason for switching is to simply change up the noise. The single midpipe gave me a nice deep sound in the low end. The EL will give me more of that nice clean sound in the top end of the rpm range.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #104
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I heard the Remus Sport with AA resonated equal length in multiple videos and it sounds noticeably better than how mine sounded in videos. Usually these exhaust videos do not do it justice and the car actually sounds much better in person. So if I loved the sound over the videos this much, I would have definitely tried the setup on my car as well. There are a couple threads where you can find those videos.

The reason I would go for the resonated over non-resonated is the potential rasp, drone and cold start issues reported by some folks here with the non-resonated version. For me, I much rather have a great sounding setup with no rasp or drone even if it means it won't be as loud as other options.
Appreciate 1
Navy Davy220.00
      11-03-2021, 11:43 PM   #105
svenscu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryyker View Post
I may not be the person quoted in this but I have the single AA on my car and I am switching to AA EL resonated in the coming week. They offer the single midpipe now with resonated or straight connector pipes same as the equal length. My reason for switching is to simply change up the noise. The single midpipe gave me a nice deep sound in the low end. The EL will give me more of that nice clean sound in the top end of the rpm range.
ok i might get the resonated EL AA pipe as well even though the agressiveness might become even lower since i went with remus sport over remus race. This helped me too. Thank you very much for the comment
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:46 PM   #106
svenscu
Rep

Quote:
I heard the Remus Sport with AA resonated equal length in multiple videos and it sounds noticeably better than how mine sounded in videos. Usually these exhaust videos do not do it justice and the car actually sounds much better in person. So if I loved the sound over the videos this much, I would have definitely tried the setup on my car as well. There are a couple threads where you can find those videos.

The reason I would go for the resonated over non-resonated is the potential rasp, drone and cold start issues reported by some folks here with the non-resonated version. For me, I much rather have a great sounding setup with no rasp or drone even if it means it won't be as loud as other options.
Got it, our local supplier was recommending remus race and AA single mid pipe, but i found your trend regarding being too loud, that is why i went with remus sport, then i think i'll also go with the resonated EL mid pipe, since both you and stryyker recommended it hehe thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:18 AM   #107
svenscu
Rep

Quote:

I ordered the Remus Sport already but I'm still quite torn between the combo of:

1. AA Single unresonated - which is already tried and tested by you and stryyker. (safest bet) also most popular build in my country.
2. AA Single resonated - which i haven't heard of
3. AA EL resonated - i saw in another post, that remus race, AA EL resonated, and catless downpipe had rasp at 2k rpm (but maybe because of catless DP, if this was catted it might be different)

4. AA EL unresonated

I like both of your comments of not being too loud, and i still have the option of a catted downpipe when i want to tune the car, which would make it a bit louder still.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #108
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Without hearing it in person, its tough to decide.

As you mentioned , the single midpipe is the safest bet as it works with almost any setup.

If you have catless downpipes, keep away from the equal length.

With high flow catted and an aftermarket exhaust, get the resonated

high flow catted and stock exhaust, get the non-res

stock downpipe, get non-resonated

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #109
svenscu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Without hearing it in person, its tough to decide.

As you mentioned , the single midpipe is the safest bet as it works with almost any setup.

If you have catless downpipes, keep away from the equal length.

With high flow catted and an aftermarket exhaust, get the resonated

high flow catted and stock exhaust, get the non-res

stock downpipe, get non-resonated
Hi,

for this:

With high flow catted and an aftermarket exhaust, get the resonated:

resonated EL aa, or resonated single on remus sport (resonated)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #110
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

for this:

With high flow catted and an aftermarket exhaust, get the resonated:

resonated EL aa, or resonated single on remus sport (resonated)
resonated EL

non-res single works with any setup ... Only time i would recommend resonated single is with catless downpipes and aftermarket axle back

Appreciate 0