BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > CEL on FS Downpipe!!

05-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #67
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

This is what they sent to me prior

I can assure you we stand behind our products 100%. The fact that the code comes and goes is concerning to us, this leads us to believe there could be something else causing the codes. Please understand that any company that warranties products asks for information regarding the failure and tests to prove this. We purchase all of our converters from HJS in Germany and they are the best converters around! With that being said its them who would be covering the converter and request this information. We would love to try the spacer to see if this changes anything. I would also like to reassure you that if we can determine the converter faulty we will cover the re-core.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #68
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
This is what they sent to me prior

I can assure you we stand behind our products 100%. The fact that the code comes and goes is concerning to us, this leads us to believe there could be something else causing the codes. Please understand that any company that warranties products asks for information regarding the failure and tests to prove this. We purchase all of our converters from HJS in Germany and they are the best converters around! With that being said its them who would be covering the converter and request this information. We would love to try the spacer to see if this changes anything. I would also like to reassure you that if we can determine the converter faulty we will cover the re-core.
They just contradicted themselves. They don't stand behind their products they're saying HJS covers the warranty work. If they stood behind their product they'd offer to inspect the sport cat in their facility.

If you took a car to a dealership for warranty work and the dealer told you to diagnose the car yourself in your garage and then go back to the dealer with what you found to be the failed part, would you be happy with that? Sorry man but that is absolutely asinine.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #69
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

I’m not a business owner so I guess I just don’t get it. Isn’t it better just to take the return and be known for awesome customer service and standing behind your products. You can always sell it used with same “warranty” from the dents and specials bin and take a few hundred dollar loss.

I’ve been eyeing a fabspeed downpipe too, but these sorts of customer service stories scare me away. Most of the people on this forum are wealthy enough that time is the real commodity.
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Poochie9104.50
      05-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #70
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Bought the 300 cell HJS DP.
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50
      05-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #71
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Bought the 300 cell HJS DP.
Which brand? I'm curious what other brands offer hjs 200 cell. I would think they would all sound the same if they have same core cat.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #72
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I bought a Fabspeed downpipe for my M2 after I got a CEL with a HJS 300Cell Euro6 downpipe. So I guess there's always a CEL risk..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #73
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Nooo hope I don't get a CEL, thought it would be less likely with the 300 cell. I bought the milltek DP
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #74
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nooo hope I don't get a CEL, thought it would be less likely with the 300 cell. I bought the milltek DP
Yea I hear ya. In theory the 300 Cell will less likely throw a CEL vs the 200 Cell.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #75
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
I bought a Fabspeed downpipe for my M2 after I got a CEL with a HJS 300Cell Euro6 downpipe. So I guess there's always a CEL risk..
Correct, every product with a lower cell count comes with a risk for a CEL. However, you cannot advertise a NO CEL GUARANTEE and sell thousands of these things and then give customers the runaround once a CEL comes on. That's just shoddy business practice.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      05-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #76
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
Correct, every product with a lower cell count comes with a risk for a CEL. However, you cannot advertise a NO CEL GUARANTEE and sell thousands of these things and then give customers the runaround once a CEL comes on. That's just shoddy business practice.
I'm not surprised by the occasional CEL with a FS downpipe and I'm not faulting their product at all. It is what it is; lower cell count catalyst with the risk depended on your vehicle and its setup. It's nice to have options.

I guess they should clarify their 'no CEL' claim to err on the side of safety and explicitly state the slight possibility of a malfunction light. But then I guess what edge would they have over the competition, which doesn't make such claims.

These vehicles are very sensitive to any changes in exhaust flow and according to the tech at Dinan I spoke with directly; there are 12 monitors checks dedicated to just emissions alone. It's hard to escape the inevitable..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #77
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I want the fabspeed but I'm afraid about this issues ...

It seems that happens very often.. please share some light on this
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #78
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had mine for 3k miles so far and there's never been an issue. There are dozens more on this forum who are in the same situation with far more miles on their DP. Like Fabspeed and others have said, there are very low percentages of people who have issues, and those that do usually are cleared easily with Bimmercode or something similar. Unfortunately, OP might just be one of those extremely unlucky folks with multiple prolonged issues.

For me, I figured if it did happen, worst case is go back to stock (I kept my stock DP wrapped up in cellophane).
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11459.00
      05-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #79
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had mine for 3k miles so far and there's never been an issue. There are dozens more on this forum who are in the same situation with far more miles on their DP. Like Fabspeed and others have said, there are very low percentages of people who have issues, and those that do usually are cleared easily with Bimmercode or something similar. Unfortunately, OP might just be one of those extremely unlucky folks with multiple prolonged issues.

For me, I figured if it did happen, worst case is go back to stock (I kept my stock DP wrapped up in cellophane).
Thanks for the feedback, can you explain how to remove it with bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #80
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry, actually I'm not sure that Bimmercode can clear codes, but it can definitely read them. You just need a wireless/bluetooth OBDII port and the app. For clears you might need a different app, or just head to auto zone or something. I had a misfire code from bad gas that auto zone cleared easily.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:00 AM   #81
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
Quote:
Sorry, actually I'm not sure that Bimmercode can clear codes, but it can definitely read them.
You're conflating "Bimmercode" with "BimmerLink."

It's two separate apps and only BimmerLink can read and clear CEL codes and Bimmercode can make changes to your vehicle factory set parameters.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nosbocaj693.50
      05-23-2019, 12:07 AM   #82
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yea I hear ya. In theory the 300 Cell will less likely throw a CEL vs the 200 Cell.

Before you jump into another aftermarket downpipe, keep in mind it's sort of a wear and tear part and has a finite shelf-life.

This guy is a vendor but he's always answer honestly about his product. Check out his take on aftermarket downpipes:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=18607829
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 03:30 AM   #83
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Light came back in again and not surprising. However this time I didn't reset the light right away and wanted to drive it to see if it will go away on its own. I've been driving fairly aggressively on highway for 2-3 hrs and the first time ever I got drive train malfunction (limp mode). Not sure if it has anything to do with the CEL remaining on or its just not related and coincidence both happen at same time within 30 miles traveled after CEL came on.

Either way I'm still in the process of trying to get my warranty and waiting to get graphs for the 02 sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #84
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Got some good news.

I sent fabspeed the graphs of the O2 sensor and they can see the cat is at fault. They will be shipping me a new one within 2-3 weeks and I just need to ship back the old one for warranty purposes.

I know some of you guys don't have a good impression for Fabspeed but I must say they do take their customer service seriously. And for those who are still looking for a catted downpipe I would still recommend fabspeed because a vast majority of the people don't have problems and I just happen to be very unlucky to need a warranty.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      06-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #85
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Got some good news.

I sent fabspeed the graphs of the O2 sensor and they can see the cat is at fault. They will be shipping me a new one within 2-3 weeks and I just need to ship back the old one for warranty purposes.
That's good news. How did you go about getting the graphs?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #86
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Got some good news.

I know some of you guys don't have a good impression for Fabspeed but I must say they do take their customer service seriously. And for those who are still looking for a catted downpipe I would still recommend fabspeed because a vast majority of the people don't have problems and I just happen to be very unlucky to need a warranty.
More like damage control at this point. You are one patient and persistent person to go through all this. Good to see you're getting it sorted now.
Appreciate 4
D CHOI581.00
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Poochie9104.50
JTO245274.50
      06-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #87
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Quote:
Got some good news.

That's good news. How did you go about getting the graphs?
Just went to the shop who installed it for me and they plugged in some scanner and printed out the volt values of 02 sensor. Cost me about 135 tho.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #88
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Just went to the shop who installed it for me and they plugged in some scanner and printed out the volt values of 02 sensor. Cost me about 135 tho.
I would ask for reimbursement then. They made you prove that their part was defective.
Appreciate 0