BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Sigh - What are folk doing about the Front License plate?

07-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #133
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
The way I look at it is I'm going to be living in a state with mandatory front license plates for the foreseeable future and it only cost $300 to repaint my bumper.

I rather two concealed screws on the front plate, than keep risking unnecessary tickets.

It's not like you're going to store the vehicle in a hermetically-sealed container and preserve it for generations; it's a bumper, it's going to encounter battle-scars such as stone etches and paint chips anyways..
May not bother you, but most everyone here is OCD and does not like the idea of holes in their bumper. Good thing is there are a number of options that let you run a front plate without drilling holes. IMO the best one is STO N SHO, because it's centered and how easy it is to snap on/off your front plate, literally in a few seconds without any tools or drama.

I get the whole OCD thing, however, here in NY, if the plates in not in the dead-center or more than 12 inches from the ground, you can still be issued a summons for a violation.

I much rather bolt them up and just forgot about it.

What does one do with an Alfa Romeo Gulia? I don't think a plate can be mounted in the center.
To answer your question; Alfa makes a hitch that goes into the tow hook, which they provide to their customers, to attach the front plate - or they screw it on, above the hitch mounting point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #134
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The way I look at it is I'm going to be living in a state with mandatory front license plates for the foreseeable future and it only cost $300 to repaint my bumper.

I rather two concealed screws on the front plate, than keep risking unnecessary tickets.

It's not like you're going to store the vehicle in a hermetically-sealed container and preserve it for generations; it's a bumper, it's going to encounter battle-scars such as stone etches and paint chips anyways..
May not bother you, but most everyone here is OCD and does not like the idea of holes in their bumper. Good thing is there are a number of options that let you run a front plate without drilling holes. IMO the best one is STO N SHO, because it's centered and how easy it is to snap on/off your front plate, literally in a few seconds without any tools or drama.

I get the whole OCD thing, however, here in NY, if the plates in not in the dead-center or more than 12 inches from the ground, you can still be issued a summons for a violation.

What does one do with an Alfa Romeo Gulia? I don't think a plate can be mounted in the center.
To answer your question; Alfa makes a hitch that goes into the tow hook, which they provide to their customers, to attach the front plate - or they screw it on, above the hitch mounting point.
That's not dead center though. Won't they ticket that?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #135
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's not dead center though. Won't they ticket that?
You possible can, NYC has a army of unforgiving meter maids that are out everyday but my friend with the Alfa was confused by what I was asking her and doesn't seem too concern (party girl) about the requirements.

I know when I was in high school, friends with vehicles with dropped suspension and tow-hook attached plates where issued a summons because it was not in the correct location, so that's a proven fact.

Even the registration sticker on the windshield cannon be above the inspection sticker, they need to be lined-up, side by side, left to right or a possible ticket.

No joke, I was just lazy to clean off the glue from the old, expired sticker and was issued a $65 summons because I placed one sticker above the another.

Here's a thread with some folks bitching about the rule, there are tons more in the regional Honda forums.

https://www.expertlaw.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156622
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:09 PM   #136
Tazer999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 DCT

I have the carbino and love it. Bracket stays on all the time, license plate only goes on when I cross the border. Bracket is sleek enough you barely even notice it when the plate isn't on it.

Edit: After reading most peoples posts on here about carbinos I feel mine is mounted much lower than everyone elses. Hmm
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:02 AM   #137
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2

Does anyone know if STO N SHO will fit the M2C? Everywhere i read only says 2018. Dont really want to put it on the very bottom of bumper.
M2C bumper is really thin just right under the kidney grills, not sure if OG M2 is the same. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #138
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Wait, wait, wait... I think I might know how to do it. Am going to test something out and will get back to you in 2 or 3 hours. If it works, then I can provide you with really detailed instructions and pictures on how to install without tripping the sensors.

Okay! Finally figured out how to do it! It's no longer tripping any sensors.

So, the product that willy9123 originally pointed us to is the one that works.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bumper-Tow-H...72.m2749.l2649

See attached photos.

1. You have to put the pieces in the right order for them to work. Which I did not do the first time. If you attached them in the order shown in the pictures, then you can adjust the angle, the height, etc., etc., in almost 360-degrees

2. Mount as far to the right as possible, so the license mount will be between the 2 sensors

3. Angle the frame such that the frame runs as "flush" up against (parallel to) the bumper as possible

I'm sure there are lots of folks reading this thinking, "How in the world did you not know how to do this the first time?" Well, my excuse is that I'm Asian. I can do math. I'm sure I can beat you at ping pong. But, mechanical aptitude... not exactly what we Asians are known for.

By the way, turns out the Platypus is designed for OG M2 and won't really work with the M2C. If anybody wants a Platypus tow hook mount, let me know and it's yours. If I don't hear from anybody on this forum, I'll post in the OG M2 forums.

If you have any issues, let me know!
Thanks @Cptobvious...just ordered this front license plate holder from eBay. I'm in TX w/ dual plate requirements, thus I don't need extra incentives to be pulled over... no unnecessary driving awards for this guy!

Seems like a great option at a reasonable price, solidly built, and most importantly doesn't require bumper drilling.

Cheers y'all!!

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 07-09-2020 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling, because no-one like so be missphilling words no?
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      07-03-2020, 11:00 PM   #139
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

No plate.
      07-04-2020, 04:19 AM   #140
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I've changed my bumper from the OG to the Comp and when I looked for a solution for the plate I stumbled across this thread and went ahead and tried the double sided tape, I've also seen and read that some cars and EU come from the dealer with double sided tape which made me more comfortable with it.
It looks and fits amazing as it's as flush as it can get, plus from my testing (5 months + track + 230 km/h) it's not going anywhere lol.
So I do believe the glue that someone advised here is a bit of an overkill and the tape does the job amazingly!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #141
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahaf2911 View Post
I've changed my bumper from the OG to the Comp and when I looked for a solution for the plate I stumbled across this thread and went ahead and tried the double sided tape, I've also seen and read that some cars and EU come from the dealer with double sided tape which made me more comfortable with it.
It looks and fits amazing as it's as flush as it can get, plus from my testing (5 months + track + 230 km/h) it's not going anywhere lol.
So I do believe the glue that someone advised here is a bit of an overkill and the tape does the job amazingly!
Looks great - for a sleek look, you want to keep it as flushed as you can to the bumper, and that's the simplest and best solution! When I did ED in 2007 with my 335i coupe, I believe that the temp plates where held in place with 3M double-sided tape. I maxed it out on the Autobahn on several occasions (even got a speeding ticket months later in the regular US mail whilst passing through some towns, but that's another story). The 3M tape held up just fine for the ED entirety, just unsure how it would have held in the long term.

P.S. every time I see LBB, I kinda/sorta wished I've gotten it instead of HS. But I love it nonetheless...hmm, conundrums of the 1st kind eh?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #142
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Be careful if you ever take it off! Some people who did ED removed the plates when they got back home. For the unfortunate few the 3M tape also removed the paint. This also happened to a friend when he de-badged his X3....FYI
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #143
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Be careful if you ever take it off! Some people who did ED removed the plates when they got back home. For the unfortunate few the 3M tape also removed the paint. This also happened to a friend when he de-badged his X3....FYI
Fishing wire in front of the 3m tape, then blow dryer and fingers to peel off the residue + goo gone at the end. Do no yank it off or else it will have a really good chance to remove paint.
      07-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #144
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Which double sided tape exactly do people recommend using?

There's an overwhelming amount of double-sided tape out there, even from 3M. If I want to do this to a US plate, which one should I use?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 06:09 AM   #145
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Fishing wire in front of the 3m tape, then blow dryer and fingers to peel off the residue + goo gone at the end. Do no yank it off or else it will have a really good chance to remove paint.
Correct, it's the same thing as removing badges, ducktail spoilers etc, you don't just rip them off you need to remove them properly as you described

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19x View Post
Which double sided tape exactly do people recommend using?

There's an overwhelming amount of double-sided tape out there, even from 3M. If I want to do this to a US plate, which one should I use?
I can't really say which one I've used as I've done it 3 4 months ago, but as long as it's a genuine 3M tape or a know product you shouldn't worry, just make sure you're not using something cheap that's easy to peel off, try finding maybe the 3M tape which people use for the spoilers (mine is just using 3M and it has a lot more air forces on it, that's also the way spoilers are installed from the dealer for our cars).

FYI, I can't give a really long term indication for it so just saying my experience and from what I've read (which is that it's a common thing in EU).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 11:02 PM   #146
MThree_Forty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Dravit Gray M340ix

CravenSpeed tow-hook mount. Wasn't sure I would like the off-center mount, but I actually do like it. Beats screw holes.
2011 Alpine White E92 M3, Leased and Retired
2000-2011: (2) 3-Series and a Cadillac CTS (Leased)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #147
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Has anyone tried one of these?

https://mrkustom.com/shop/electric-r...-plate-holder/
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #148
Henry428
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN' View Post
That's f'ing hilarious
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #149
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Yes but it was from the company in Minnesota, Sto & Go?? Still have the same set up on my 2008 Z4 3.0si, and it works, but reluctantly. You have to replace a very tiny battery often. I also had one mounted on my 16 OG M2, and it lasted only 4.5 years. The little black module in picture is very sensitive to heat in the engine bay. It must be mounted as far back as possible, but heat is heat under there.
Getting retract unit mounted solidly is fiddly, and you will fettle about with it. I had to have special bracket made behind clip on both cars to simply support it all.
Why did I do it? It wasn't the Bond effect...I simply did not wish the hole in bumper. I also had fun with it. BUT as the M2 burned out this year, I simply replaced with the manual retractable kind...works a treat.

The Z4?? It's still working, but then a lot of things worked better 13 years ago than they do now. It IS a lot of trouble to go to...believe me. Better options are out there for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #150
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

I have never ran a front plate on any vehicle I have ever owned. Never had an issue and if it ever becomes one its a $25 fine or just fix it put one on then take it back off via tow hook (:
      09-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #151
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I would have gone for one of the removal plates (even though they look flimsy as hell) but I got car used and already had the front plate mount which does not look terrible (but drilled bumper and obviously not going to ever remove it). I had the tow hook in last car and loved it at first but then stop liking the look.

And as far as rocking nothing and just getting a fix it ticket, that to me is a waste of my time, getting stopped and having to talk to a LEO and then having to go stress about buying one of the solutions that I could have bought to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #152
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
My car had some janky mount when I got it, but at least there were no holes in the bumper. Unfortunately, she tapped something with it, and it ended up causing an issue in the bumper anyway (good thing I got it fixed).

I never run a front plate, but will install this one just in case I get stopped and can put it on in 5 seconds to avoid a ticket.

https://stonsho.com/2015-2018-bmw-m4...LnQw5CWZ65D-O8
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #153
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

All my bimmers have been "commando", they're sexier that way
Appreciate 0