BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Sigh - What are folk doing about the Front License plate?

10-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #23
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy9123 View Post
I don't think the tow hook license plate looks too bad. It's what I have right now, and you can position it to not trip any of the front parking sensors. The other way is to just leave off and deal with the tickets if you do get caught. Depending on where you are it might be a small price to pay.

Best looking tow hook setup I've seen so far. Can you share link to the product you bought? Will order the same! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #24
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

I've had great luck while driving without my front plates until recently. Been getting pulled over numerous times. Finally got a ticket for it.

Decided to go with the Sto n Sho solution.

https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com...4-m3-m2-sns67/

If pulled over, my plan is EXACTLY what another mentioned earlier - "oops I totally forgot to put it back on after I washed the car, let me just do that right now" and just clip it in.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #25
willy9123
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Best looking tow hook setup I've seen so far. Can you share link to the product you bought? Will order the same! Thank you!
I just got it off eBay. Here’s the link
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bumper-Tow-H...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by willy9123; 10-04-2018 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: broken link
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      10-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #26
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Tow hook mount (2 pins to attach - takes 5 seconds)...you don't have to keep the plate on, just keep your car clean and the plate ready on the floor in the back for the inevitable "Oh, my bad officer, I just washed the car and forgot to reattach the plate. Here, let me do that right now. Thanks for reminding me." ...still pretty clean with only the mount showing and doesn't block any air flow...forgive the pic, but I don't have an M2C, just a lowly OG M2
I got a $150 ticket from parking enforcement for no plate once in Portland. I didn't even get a chance to offer BS excuses. I was in a restaurant supporting a local business establishment. Camping in the park is legal though.
Appreciate 1
COChris888.50
      10-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #27
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
I got a $150 ticket from parking enforcement for no plate once in Portland. I didn't even get a chance to offer BS excuses. I was in a restaurant supporting a local business establishment. Camping in the park is legal though.
Damn! I've gotten my share of tickets for BS as well. Hear you, brother.

If those homeless folks camping in the park had a single dime on them, you'd better bet that local "law enforcement" would strip them down to nothing and take every last cent they had.

If you got a car, any car, you got enough money for them to steal from you is the key message.

Saw some recent research study that looked at what happened to "civil asset forfeiture" in a locality when laws changed such that local "law enforcement" could no longer keep all the money they took from the citizenry, but instead had to send it on up to the state / national level. Lo and behold, surprise, surprise, the amount of money they seized from citizens dropped precipitously!

Definitely getting the tow hook mount to avoid this BS.
Appreciate 1
COChris888.50
      10-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #28
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
I've had great luck while driving without my front plates until recently. Been getting pulled over numerous times. Finally got a ticket for it.
Halton, Peel or Metro? Metro and Peel guys are dicks, but usually too busy drinking coffee to bother with a license plate infraction. Halton guys are usually pretty chill and will just let you put it back on.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #29
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

carbonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Thanks for the input. I have actually ordered one of these and have been having second thoughts. I will squelch them and just wait for it to arrive.
i have the Carbonio as well. i like it very much. And if you are concerned about airflow at the track, you can take it off in about 3 seconds. it is silly overpriced, but it is decent quality and the design is very good.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      10-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #30
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I use Sto N Sho from here.

Pretty much never have it on though, just when parking someplace where I might get a ticket, or if a cop asks me about my front plate.... oops it's in my trunk, must have taken it off when I washed the car, can I put it on right now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post

Decided to go with the Sto n Sho solution.

If pulled over, my plan is EXACTLY what another mentioned earlier - "oops I totally forgot to put it back on after I washed the car, let me just do that right now" and just clip it in.
+3 for STO N SHO. Love how you can snap on or remove the plate in a matter of seconds.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #31
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Honestly it doesn't look too bad, at least the long thin plates, not sure if that's possible in your area. I definitely had to drill but it was already drilled when I got it even though I asked them not to (they always drill too many) but oh well.

10-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #32
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:

If you got a car, any car, you got enough money for them to steal from you is the key message.
This is why I am amazed that the state government over there hasn’t cottoned on that they can make a lot of money off tragics like us that don’t like how the standard ones look.

Check it out. Pretty cool.
https://www.myplates.com.au/#/home

You can honestly choose this. Only 84mm tall. Perfect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      10-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #33
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Quote:

If those homeless folks camping in the park had a single dime on them, you'd better bet that local "law enforcement" would strip them down to nothing and take every last cent they had.

Saw some recent research study that looked at what happened to "civil asset forfeiture" in a locality when laws changed such that local "law enforcement" could no longer keep all the money they took from the citizenry, but instead had to send it on up to the state / national level. Lo and behold, surprise, surprise, the amount of money they seized from citizens dropped precipitously!

Definitely getting the tow hook mount to avoid this BS.
Boulder, CO charges $50 for no front plate (I just don't park in public there).

However, they will use your hard earned money to build a world class bike path system that nobody uses — instead everyone insists on exercising in the STREET! That's another thread for later...
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      10-04-2018, 07:57 PM   #34
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
Boulder, CO charges $50 for no front plate (I just don't park in public there).

However, they will use your hard earned money to build a world class bike path system that nobody uses — instead everyone insists on exercising in the STREET! That's another thread for later...
Ugghhhh... this stuff drives me nuts! When I lived in Arlington, VA my brother-in-law would point out this bus stop whenever we drove past it on Columbia Pike... it cost $1M of tax payer money!!! $1M for a bus stop that had a metal bench and some stupid F***ing artsy metal arch thingy... but no roof! So, you know, if you had to use that bus stop, and it rained (which it does like 80% of the year in that hell hole), you got soaked for your $1M in tax payer money.

Okay... taking deep breaths... counting to twenty... I guess it could be worse. We could be living in Europe, paying $60k for our M2Cs plus another $60k on top of that in VAT and CO2 tax and ICE tax and "you're breathing air" tax, and have the privilege of getting an OPF stuck into our cars.

Ah, schadenfreude... I feel much better now.
Appreciate 2
COChris888.50
BlkSVT388.50
      10-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #35
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Stupid question...when I picked up my car from Welt, there was already a front plate, so does that mean that there's already holes drilled?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #36
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Stupid question...when I picked up my car from Welt, there was already a front plate, so does that mean that there's already holes drilled?
I do NOT think so; when I picked my z4 at das Welt in '09 they had attached the plate with double sided foam tape.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      10-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #37
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
I do NOT think so; when I picked my z4 at das Welt in '09 they had attached the plate with double sided foam tape.
Oh, interesting
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #38
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

It's amazing how 19 states don't give a shit about having a front plate, yet the rest (or many of them) are so draconian about it.

This tells me one thing: The front plate states are over policing for frivolous shit... OK, and also for money. Things such as traffic cameras (another money making scheme) that want your front plate for evidence. Maryland is notorious for this. Virginia is one of the worst states for driving through, so be careful there, btw. They will throw you in jail if you go 36 in a 35 mph zone.

I have lived in Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, California, New York New Jersey, and Nevada.

PA doesn't require a front plate, so I gladly didn't put one on the GT4.
(I wasn't going to do it anyway.. hell no, not on that beautiful front.)

NV requires both, front and rear, but nobody puts the front on anyway and are rarely policed for it.

NY/NJ are pretty strict about the front plate.

This variability tells me there is no rhyme or reason for it. The states that require a front plate are not some bastions of safety compared to the ones that don't strictly enforce it.

Its about politics and money. Not safety.

(Disclaimer: I am biased, sport car enthusiast.)

Last edited by csbear; 10-05-2018 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      10-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #39
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Thanks for the input. I have actually ordered one of these and have been having second thoughts. I will squelch them and just wait for it to arrive.
Very happy with the Carbonio - center-mounted, no drilling, comes off & back on easily if you want. Mounted mine as high as it would go.
Attached Images

_Ack_102.00
ewohar21.50
      10-05-2018, 12:56 AM   #40
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
It's amazing how 19 states don't give a shit about having a front plate, yet the rest (or many of them) are so draconian about it.

This tells me one thing: The front plate states are over policing for frivolous shit... OK, and also for money. Things such as traffic cameras (another money making scheme) that want your front plate for evidence. Maryland is notorious for this. Virginia is one of the worst states for driving through, so be careful there, btw. They will throw you in jail if you go 36 in a 35 mph zone.

I have lived in Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, California, New York New Jersey, and Nevada.

NV requires both, front and rear, but nobody puts the front on anyway and are rarely policed for it.

This variability tells me there is no rhyme or reason for it. The states that require a front plate plate are not some bastions of safety compared to the ones that don't strictly enforce it.

Here in BC Canada, you have to have both plates and they have to be the standard issued plate and they have to be mounted (not in a window). They say it's for safety and for law enforcement to identify a vehicle from the front. However, if you have a temp permit (piece of paper) it can be in your window, or if you're from another province that doesn't require a front plate then that's ok or if you pay for a dealer plate then you can just have it on the back without a front plate. All these things tell me that the reasons that are given for requiring a front plate are arbitrary. I don't use a front plate and the main reason I don't want to drill is because they'll change the law as soon as I do.
Appreciate 1
csbear1118.00
      10-05-2018, 02:39 AM   #41
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post

This variability tells me there is no rhyme or reason for it. The states that require a front plate plate are not some bastions of safety compared to the ones that don't strictly enforce it.

I suspect if some smart entrepreneur in California or even other states pitched the same web site concept
https://www.myplates.com.au/#/home
to the state motor authority and presented a business case that shows how much money the government would make and even outsourced production they would make a fortune. US plates are simply hideous.
Appreciate 1
csbear1118.00
      10-05-2018, 05:18 AM   #42
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Other than the parking enforcement in Portland proper, the Hillsboro police are pretty rabid about front plate enforcement, as are the Beaverton cops (they love their little mobile speed cameras and the pictures they take of your front plates). Two folk I know at work (our office is in Hillsboro) have been ticketed in the last month.

Thanks for the pic and feedback on the Carbonio, folk. It looks like that'll work out just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #43
paucM2
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
2011 BMW 316d  [0.00]
2016 BMW 225 xe  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2C  [0.00]
This is how it's done i Norway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #44
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
Move to Florida
I'd rather have 50 front plates than to live in the sh*thole that is Florida!