BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > LED Bulb swap for NON-LCI Tails

08-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #89
bjstoner
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Looks like Sirius no longer makes the LEDs in the link provided, and we're stuck with a choice: white + lenses (CK/EK series: https://www.siriusledlights.com/coll...ght-1156-white) or red + no lenses (KG series: https://www.siriusledlights.com/coll...light-1156-red).

What have people who have done this mod recently been using? The picture in OPs first post has me a bit scared to try the KG bulbs (no lenses), since it seems to be too diffuse and light up the interior.

The Tuincyn ones recommended wouldn't be here until sometime in October, so looking for something a little faster...
I just received my LED from Sirius on Monday and just did the install yesterday. I ordered both the clear and red in the no lenses and they worked perfectly.

EK series LED exterior light 7507 amber
EK series LED exterior light 1156 white
EK series LED exterior light 1156 red

My brother will be bringing over his m235 later this week and i plan on doing a video of the old vs the new before we install his new lights. On the plus size my first 2 sets of lights took way too long to arrive so they shipped me out a 2nd order of LED lights. So now i can do 2 more cars....

Have yet to install the front LED lights so interested in how they will look. I did code out my front indicators so now they only turn on when my signal is engaged which will help with how they look.

I can post an update once I get the video completed of the side by side comparison
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #90
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjstoner View Post
I just received my LED from Sirius on Monday and just did the install yesterday. I ordered both the clear and red in the no lenses and they worked perfectly.

EK series LED exterior light 7507 amber
EK series LED exterior light 1156 white
EK series LED exterior light 1156 red

My brother will be bringing over his m235 later this week and i plan on doing a video of the old vs the new before we install his new lights. On the plus size my first 2 sets of lights took way too long to arrive so they shipped me out a 2nd order of LED lights. So now i can do 2 more cars....

Have yet to install the front LED lights so interested in how they will look. I did code out my front indicators so now they only turn on when my signal is engaged which will help with how they look.

I can post an update once I get the video completed of the side by side comparison
Happy to buy a car's worth off you if shipping to the states won't be too crazy.

How did you get EK's in red in 1156? I'm not seeing them on the website?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #91
bjstoner
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Happy to buy a car's worth off you if shipping to the states won't be too crazy.

How did you get EK's in red in 1156? I'm not seeing them on the website?
Good catch. I only got the EK's for the amber and got the KG's for the red and white. They look fantastic on the car and are super bright. My brother is going to come over tonight so I should be able to post the side by side comparison tomorrow. In my opinion they look awesome and I installed the front indicators yesterday and they look good as well.

Once I have the new shipment in hand I can check about shipping to the states since I will have no use for the extra set. Save us both some money for the install.

Wish I would have done this mod sooner.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #92
bjstoner
Canada
Rep

Bulbs for sale

I did receive the second order so now have 2 complete sets of LED bulbs. Let me know if you are still interested and I can look into what the shipping costs will be.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 05:03 AM   #93
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Silly question- but is there a particular brand for reverse led for a 2017 M2 that won't have an error?

Is it even possible to change to LEDs and not get an error?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 09:19 PM   #94
MonkeyM1nd
Canada
Rep

I attempted to convert the front signal lights and tail lights to LED today. Here are the bulbs I tried:

For the front signals:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

For the tail lights:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

These front signal LED bulbs look super cool, but did not work. I plugged them in and they threw errors and didn’t turn on with the hazards or signal stalk (I have US side markers coded out). So then I coded the front signals and US side markers to LED in BimmerCode and the errors went away but the bulbs still didn’t turn on. These are advertised as having their own resistor built into the bulb, so based on previous posts in this thread where these kinds of bulbs were tried, it seems like that’s the culprit.

The red tail light LED bulbs worked immediately and flawlessly without even having to code them to LED. They are bright and look fantastic, I’m really happy with the pre-LCI tail light design with LED bulbs and prefer it to the LCI tails.

Based on the positive outcome with the tail light LED bulbs, I ordered a pair of the BAU15S version of the same bulb in amber to try on the front turn signals, as well as a pair of the BA15S in white for the backup lights. Looks like they won’t be here for about 3-4 weeks, I’ll report on how they do after I get them installed.

Update: The front turn signal LEDs work perfectly with no coding needed. However, the right rear tail now reports an error intermittently, only when I hit the brakes, and only maybe 1/4 of the time I hit the brakes. It started after my last time washing the car, not sure if that's related - all I can think of is that maybe some moisture got in. The error clears after I release the brakes every time. I'm trying to diagnose, but it seems pretty likely that it's one of the 4 rear tail LEDs I installed malfunctioning or shorting. I'll try coding them to LED and see if that fixes it.

Last edited by MonkeyM1nd; 03-11-2022 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0