BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55 M2 Valvetronic Special Ops Exhaust

11-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
lp16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 lbb m2

N55 M2 Valvetronic Special Ops Exhaust

Hey all - I recently received and installed the Valvetronic Special Ops system for my OG '16 M2. The difference between the regular Valvetronic system and the "Special Ops" is simply the gold anodized coating throughout the system and tips. I initially reached out intending to buy the normal system (and was unaware this one existed) but was told this was the only one in stock. I was initially hesitant to run a full gold system but now I'm really glad I went with it.

First impressions/quality:
After receiving and unboxing the system, I was immediately impressed with the quality, look, and finish. All of the welds are very clean and the coating is very nice and uniform. The coating toward the downpipe has started to shift from gold to a really cool blue/purple at the hottest spots after a few weeks of use. I anticipate more of the system will with regular use. The piping quality and forged carbon tips are beautiful and really look great in person. It is definitely not a simple design, with many connecting pieces, but is obviously pretty self explanatory and easy to figure out. The anodized vacuum pump and valvetronic remote are nicely done as well. The system is held together by simple band clamps, and the pipes all slide into one another. More on this later.

Install:
I decided it would be a good idea to install the system myself, using only jack stands and ramps. This is not the ideal way to install it, but can be done if you are patient and persistent. Overall it isn't a complicated or difficult install. The old system drops out with surprisingly few bolts, and you can slide the new one in. I'd recommend using a lift and assembling the system prior to bolting it up to the car, and having a friend help you lift it (not how I did it).

Once the system is in place, you need to install the vacuum pump and run the vacuum lines from the pump in the trunk, to the muffler under the vehicle. Not sure what the recommended solution for this is, as the system doesn't come with instructions, but I found two grommets in the trunk under the removable carpeting and drilled holes through them. Then, directly below these two grommets is the thin metal exhaust heat shield. You must drill the same holes in this heat shield so the line can be run through it and to the muffler valves. The shield is very thin metal, and is Easy to drill through. I dont anticipate this will have any negative effect on the car or heat dissipation, and this location is perfect for routing the lines as it is almost directly above where the valves sit on the muffler. If you drill the correct size hole, the vacuum lines should fit snugly through the grommet and heat shield and can be connected to the connector on the valve actuator itself. The line that is provided with the kit is one extremely long piece, and must be cut into two much smaller pieces to run from the pump to the muffler. Once this is done you can simply plug the pump into the cigarette lighter in the trunk of the car and you are good to go. I placed the pump itself in the compartment under the trunk carpet that holds the battery and small tool set, which fits nicely with little to no play.

On the car, the system fits very well with no real issues. There is some adjustment you can do simply due to the nature of the design with the interlocking pipes, which ensures you can get a good fit. The tips all connect individually, and look fantastic from behind. They are around 4" and make the rear end look a lot more aggressive. Also, like the rest of the system, they are clamped on individually and can be adjusted to sit further out or tucked into the diffuser. I chose to position them just a hair past the edge of the diffuser.

Driving impressions:
First impressions with this exhaust are extremely good. The sound is definitely substantially louder than stock with the valves open, but has pretty much 0 drone (I have a catted vrsf downpipe). The tone is different too, much more aggressive than the stock system. With the valves closed, it really is as quiet or quieter than stock as advertised. This is perfect for neighborhood driving, parking garages, etc.

Troubleshooting:

The only real issue I ran into with the exhaust thus far is with the connectors. I am not sure if I over/under tightened the clamps or not, but I initially was getting minor exhaust leaks in several of the connections after the initial install. In order to fix this, I bought copper RTV gasket maker, and coated the connections which solved the issue. I would recommend you do this prior to install with this system just to ensure there are no leaks.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness, wrote this all in one sitting lol. Overall I am very happy with this exhaust. It sounds amazing, looks amazing, and the valve system works flawlessly. Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants something significantly more aggressive than stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
lp16
Private First Class
Rep

Pics incoming, having issues on the phone
Attached Images

Last edited by lp16; 11-09-2020 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
Altra265.50
      11-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
lp16
Private First Class
Rep

more pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
lp16
Private First Class
Rep

more
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #5
lp16
Private First Class
Rep

And a couple with my new wheels and tail lights lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
lp16
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #7
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Great pictures, videos and write up! The time you've spent with the details is what makes this forum great!

Awesome to hear you're enjoying the new exhaust too!
Appreciate 1
lp1645.50
      11-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
lp16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Great pictures, videos and write up! The time you've spent with the details is what makes this forum great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #9
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
How is the drone on the exhaust on the highway? Around 2.5-3k rpm?

How does it compare to the stock exhaust in terms of highway drone?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:38 PM   #10
lp16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post

Can honestly say there isn't any noticeable drone. As you can see I ran it with a catted downpipe so that likely helps. Also it must be emphasized just how quiet this exhaust is with the valves closed. It is substantially quieter than stock in any driving mode with the valves closed, so if you want to cruise on the highway in stealth mode, you can.

With the valves open is is a beast but nothing too crazy. Just a super aggressive tone and definitely louder than stock. I ran it living in the city though and loved it. Kept the valves closed in my parking garage and opened them up after I left.
Appreciate 1
6speed_M23632.50
      11-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #11
lp16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

also, the exhaust is currently for sale just fyi
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:52 PM   #12
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
If you were local in Los Angeles I'd definitely give it some thought. I'm assuming you're not willing to ship. If you wanted to do a swap with my MPE that would've been excellent.

I hope it sells quick! Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:18 AM   #13
lp16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you were local in Los Angeles I'd definitely give it some thought. I'm assuming you're not willing to ship. If you wanted to do a swap with my MPE that would've been excellent.

I hope it sells quick! Thanks for the heads up.
I may be willing to ship. Shoot me a pm and we can discuss
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing and congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0