BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track tires - which provide the best grip (lap times)?

10-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #23
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
I got 6 days out of a set of Nexens, they were super cheap but they didn't last super long nor were they particularly fast.

I ran them as 265/35R18s square, I ran them at Calabogie Motorsports Park which is brutal on tires and then 3 days at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (more average on tire wear). I was not able to match my times at CTMP set with RE71s or RS-4s. I ran them mostly just because they were one of the few tires we were able to get in time for an event, they were cheap ($200CAD per tire vs $350CAD per RS-4) but they aren't my first choice. My first days were at CMP but I don't know the track as well or have much in the way of times to compare.

I found they warmed up fairly quickly but then would only run well for a lap or two before getting greasy, the ambient temps were high those days but still seemed worse than other tires. But that's only my experience, I'd look for more opinions before you give mine any real weight.
That's valuable feedback--thank you.

Personally, I don't like RS-4s at all. They're tough as nails, but they lack performance. If Nexens are even slower, they're completely out of consideration.
      02-03-2022, 06:55 PM   #24
m2c_6mt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Glad I found this thread! I'm in a M2C, in LA (US) and I've been autocrossing 2-3x on the stock PSS. I decided to stop until I could get a dedicated set of tires, or a dual-purpose set of tires I can use for autox/track/dd.

Sounds like the consensus is that the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 or PS4S would be the best daily + autocross tires (rarely rains here).

Best outright grip would be A052 for autox, and Cup 2, AR1, or Supercar 3R for track duty?

I'm leaning towards one set of wheels/tires since I'm not nationally competitive and won't be daily driving the car as much...
Appreciate 0