BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > First HPDE - What DSC Setting?

10-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #1
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

First HPDE - What DSC Setting?

Heading to VIR next weekend for first HPDE in the M2. Not my first time on a track, but first time at this track and first time with this car on the track.

What DSC mode do you guys recommend running in for a dry weekend? I don't really like the Sport+ throttle being too touchy so was thinking to run in Sport. The stability control in Sport mode is pretty restrictive though.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1574055
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 09:45 PM   #3
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

I always run the first lap with full traction control on and then turn all controls off lap two once tires are warmer. This will trump the DSC settings though.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:54 AM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Sport mode for a bit, see how the traction control reacts. Once you get comfortable, switch to MDM mode.

Only you can decide when you're ready for full DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Heading to VIR next weekend for first HPDE in the M2. Not my first time on a track, but first time at this track and first time with this car on the track.

What DSC mode do you guys recommend running in for a dry weekend? I don't really like the Sport+ throttle being too touchy so was thinking to run in Sport. The stability control in Sport mode is pretty restrictive though.
How many trackdays total do you have under your belt? And what car(s) have you driven previously on track? And what tires are on the car?

That's really going to give us a better idea of what mode you should be in.

Although detroit's comment above is what I'd recommend.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #6
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
How many trackdays total do you have under your belt? And what car(s) have you driven previously on track? And what tires are on the car?

That's really going to give us a better idea of what mode you should be in.

Although detroit's comment above is what I'd recommend.
Half a dozen races in a race prepped MR2 (lemons). 3 regular track days in a race prepped 135i over in Europe at various tracks. Things with noticeable less power than my M2.

Tires on my M2 are new Michelin PS4S. Played around a little in "Traction" mode and I'm not a fan of it switching everything into Comfort mode just to get into MDM mode. I wish I could do MDM with Sport setting.

Probably will start with Sport for a bit as suggested to see where the threshold is and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #7
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Half a dozen races in a race prepped MR2 (lemons). 3 regular track days in a race prepped 135i over in Europe at various tracks. Things with noticeable less power than my M2.

Tires on my M2 are new Michelin PS4S. Played around a little in "Traction" mode and I'm not a fan of it switching everything into Comfort mode just to get into MDM mode. I wish I could do MDM with Sport setting.

Probably will start with Sport for a bit as suggested to see where the threshold is and go from there.
As long as you don't mash the throttle coming out of corners you should be fine in the M2. It's stupid easy to correct.

Having the steering in comfort is nice on track though. You can also code in Euro MDM mode which lets even more slip angle in which is fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:

Just start where you feel comfortable and go from there - adjust as desired. I'm a big proponent of DSC completely off as soon as possible to limit ingraining bad habits - but only if you are ready for it. If you are not completely comfortable with recovery yet then maybe check out a car control clinic, drift class, skid pad, etc. first to help build that skill set. But the platform especially with MP4S is on the friendlier side of being able to bring a car back if you are comfortable doing so.

Settings are definitely personal preference so go with what you want. I prefer comfort throttle and steering on the track. Gives the most linear throttle and least twitchy steering imo. Feel like I can control wheel spin the most this way. Sport is fine if have to but really want nothing to do with sport+. Lot of people feel completely opposite - so just whatever works best for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Please confirm, it sound like you have a 2016-2018 M2, not the 2019+ M2 Comp. If I recall that's just comfort/sport/sport+ and a trac-off button.

Just run in sport mode and when comfortable and tires are warmed up (say 2nd session and beyond) hit the trac-off button for more control on corner exit. It will allow some tail out, so just be aware and don't nail the throttle, ease into it.

Only do full DSC off (long press) if very comfortable with the car.

If first time at VIR, the one spot to be most careful is turn 10, top of the uphill esses, turn 10 is a blind downhill left. You can carry a ton of speed there but stay out late and do not early apex. If you exit the turn running out of track right, apex later..... If you do go in the grass, go straight and ease back on track.

Plenty of VIR BMW videos out there but here is my M2 Comp at VIR from 2019. https://vimeo.com/364518067
Appreciate 0