Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
His and Hers:
I could 100 percent see owning a Miata and an M2 comp at the same time someday. A lot of fundamental goodness in that garage....
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6619.00
      02-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #90
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I could 100 percent see owning a Miata and an M2 comp at the same time someday. A lot of fundamental goodness in that garage....
If you look closely, you'll actually see it's two BMW's v. one Miata.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      02-12-2021, 11:55 PM   #91
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

I no longer have the M2C and 96 NA Miata, but stayed with the same family names. Such amazing cars to drive!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #92
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
His and Hers:
Nice choice of color on your RF
Attached Images

My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #93
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzym3 View Post
I no longer have the M2C and 96 NA Miata, but stayed with the same family names. Such amazing cars to drive!
How did you like having a M2C and a Miata and now a M3/4 and a Miata?

I have played around with this idea, but not sure if there is too much overlap
      02-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #94
izzyM2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
How did you like having a M2C and a Miata and now a M3/4 and a Miata?

I have played around with this idea, but not sure if there is too much overlap
Both rear wheel drive cars. Has the same basic driving characters. But M2/M3 will feel bigger with obvious more power but it gives that daily usefulness. To have fun in the M you have to take it to high speeds and fast corners due to its weight. To enjoy the Miata you just open the top and drive. You will feel every sensation driving has to offer. It does not need to be push hard to put a smile in your face. You make a quick slow speed 180 degree turn and you will feel the rear break and drift easily but still easy to control due its lightweight design.
I have both because I can't stand boring cars. M2 or M3 for daily fun. Miata for weekend fun and dates. Both can be auto-crossed or tracked if so desired.
If you have the space and disregard the impracticality of having two fun cars. Both combination are awesome to have.
      04-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #95
theblackdawnr3
Sim racing nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazda mx5 rf, BMW M2C

Quote:
Both rear wheel drive cars. Has the same basic driving characters. But M2/M3 will feel bigger with obvious more power but it gives that daily usefulness. To have fun in the M you have to take it to high speeds and fast corners due to its weight. To enjoy the Miata you just open the top and drive. You will feel every sensation driving has to offer. It does not need to be push hard to put a smile in your face. You make a quick slow speed 180 degree turn and you will feel the rear break and drift easily but still easy to control due its lightweight design.
I have both because I can't stand boring cars. M2 or M3 for daily fun. Miata for weekend fun and dates. Both can be auto-crossed or tracked if so desired.
If you have the space and disregard the impracticality of having two fun cars. Both combination are awesome to have.
What he said is absolutely true. If your commute is mostly 45mph roads, the Mx5 is where you want to be. I just went to Lowe's for bricks this morning and I literally moved my m2 out of the driveway and took the mx5 because it's just more pleasurable to drive at lower speeds.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 01:41 AM   #96
izzyM2
Major
Rep

I just did an autocross with Speedventures. Really just to have fun and get to toss the car around legally. Video https://youtu.be/8v_uI5scS6s
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #97
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackdawnr3 View Post
Quote:
What he said is absolutely true. If your commute is mostly 45mph roads, the Mx5 is where you want to be. I just went to Lowe's for bricks this morning and I literally moved my m2 out of the driveway and took the mx5 because it's just more pleasurable to drive at lower speeds.
I enjoy my Z3 as much as my M2 cs. They are a completely different experience. One is manic. One is for spirited cruising, feeling like you are going "fast" without actually going fast. It's a fantastic combo to have in the garage. I can see how the MX5 would fit this brief. I considered one but I can't really fit in it. I also like that the Z3 is more retro and makes nice sounds to make me think I am going fast even though I'm not.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #98
VDRM3
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
If you didn’t have the Miata and M3 at the same time, would you say the Miata is fun enough? I already have a daily and am thinking of swapping the M2C for something else. ND2 or going back to an E9x, E46 or E36 M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #99
izzyM2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDRM3 View Post
If you didn’t have the Miata and M3 at the same time, would you say the Miata is fun enough? I already have a daily and am thinking of swapping the M2C for something else. ND2 or going back to an E9x, E46 or E36 M3.
I believe it is more than fun enough, but it’s a different kind of fun you know. If you enjoy top down drives, cruise around canyons, AutoX. Then the car is perfect. But if you also enjoy heavy accelerations, track days, that distinctive BMW character you might miss your M2C. I can tell you though the ND2 did not disappoint in power delivery but it’s not an M2C. And if you are into modding that will also add more fun to the ND2. I personally cannot have only one and it’s a problem as I have less in my bank account.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #100
FrontRangeGuy73
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Background: I'm looking for a fun car to keep for the long term that will bring me driving joy away from the daily grind. I understand this is not your typical comparison due to type of vehicle or cost. But I will tell you, for me it is.

I don't necessary need a daily driver since I live in the city. However, I do take it to the mountains or a few road trips. Living in the city, it affords me the ability to use this as my fun toy. Also, I don't mind driving either vehicles in the snow as I will have the appropriate winter tires or just not drive if the weather is terrible.

Why Miata: it has been applauded by journalists and enthusiasts alike without any pretense to cost or judgement. It is truly a great drivers car and can be had for half the price of the M2C. In addition, it has many creature comforts and not necessary compromised. Not to mention the fantastic shifter and convertible aspect. Also, you can really have max fun without going to jail. Lastly, it is designed from the ground up as a sports car, unlike the BMW.

Why M2C: from the BMW perspective, this vehicle harkens back to what a true M use to be. Great performance and relative value. It has ample seating and space available, if needed. But like I said, space is not a huge requirement. It also has all the power you need, but granted you will have to rein in what you can do on city streets.

Disclaimer: I know there are preowned options such as a Porsche XYZ. But I'm looking to buy this new.

General thoughts: originally I was all on-board with the M2C. However, seeing ownership reviews of the Miata and how great this car truly is, it's really having me rethink everything. I can comfortable afford either, but the benefit of saving $25K+ with the Miata also can't be ignored. Especially, if it gets the same joy or same "miles per gallon" as people say.

Please let me know your thoughts based on my current use case.

Have not read the full thread so sorry if this has been said or you have already made your decision, but this was exactly me. I think all you need to know is I bought a Miata, drove it for a year and loved it, then sold it to buy an m2c. I had cross shopped both when I bought the Miata, which I chose mostly for the price. But I couldn’t stop thinking about that m2c and just couldn’t let it be the one that got away.

Buy once, cry once! (And if you want, just pick up a used nd in a few years for like 15k).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #101
VDRM3
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
I believe it is more than fun enough, but it’s a different kind of fun you know. If you enjoy top down drives, cruise around canyons, AutoX. Then the car is perfect. But if you also enjoy heavy accelerations, track days, that distinctive BMW character you might miss your M2C. I can tell you though the ND2 did not disappoint in power delivery but it’s not an M2C. And if you are into modding that will also add more fun to the ND2. I personally cannot have only one and it’s a problem as I have less in my bank account.
Appreciate your response! Modding is life
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 12:56 PM   #102
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontRangeGuy73 View Post
Quote:
Background: I'm looking for a fun car to keep for the long term that will bring me driving joy away from the daily grind. I understand this is not your typical comparison due to type of vehicle or cost. But I will tell you, for me it is.

I don't necessary need a daily driver since I live in the city. However, I do take it to the mountains or a few road trips. Living in the city, it affords me the ability to use this as my fun toy. Also, I don't mind driving either vehicles in the snow as I will have the appropriate winter tires or just not drive if the weather is terrible.

Why Miata: it has been applauded by journalists and enthusiasts alike without any pretense to cost or judgement. It is truly a great drivers car and can be had for half the price of the M2C. In addition, it has many creature comforts and not necessary compromised. Not to mention the fantastic shifter and convertible aspect. Also, you can really have max fun without going to jail. Lastly, it is designed from the ground up as a sports car, unlike the BMW.

Why M2C: from the BMW perspective, this vehicle harkens back to what a true M use to be. Great performance and relative value. It has ample seating and space available, if needed. But like I said, space is not a huge requirement. It also has all the power you need, but granted you will have to rein in what you can do on city streets.

Disclaimer: I know there are preowned options such as a Porsche XYZ. But I'm looking to buy this new.

General thoughts: originally I was all on-board with the M2C. However, seeing ownership reviews of the Miata and how great this car truly is, it's really having me rethink everything. I can comfortable afford either, but the benefit of saving $25K+ with the Miata also can't be ignored. Especially, if it gets the same joy or same "miles per gallon" as people say.

Have not read the full thread so sorry if this has been said or you have already made your decision, but this was exactly me. I think all you need to know is I bought a Miata, drove it for a year and loved it, then sold it to buy an m2c. I had cross shopped both when I bought the Miata, which I chose mostly for the price. But I couldn’t stop thinking about that m2c and just couldn’t let it be the one that got away.

Buy once, cry once! (And if you want, just pick up a used nd in a few years for like 15k).
Appreciate it! Yeah, I decided to back out of my Miata a week before delivery and picked up a '21 M2C last August. It has been great so far!

But here's the update! I have secured a GT4 allocation with delivery at the end of the year. Debating if I should keep my M2C or not. The reason I would keep the M2C would soley be from a collecting perspective. It would be nice to have a great M car in the garage. Logically I don't know if it would make any sense since I would always choose GT4 over M2C if I were going on a drive. We shall see!
      09-19-2021, 12:10 AM   #103
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

Quote:
Appreciate it! Yeah, I decided to back out of my Miata a week before delivery and picked up a '21 M2C last August. It has been great so far!

But here's the update! I have secured a GT4 allocation with delivery at the end of the year. Debating if I should keep my M2C or not. The reason I would keep the M2C would soley be from a collecting perspective. It would be nice to have a great M car in the garage. Logically I don't know if it would make any sense since I would always choose GT4 over M2C if I were going on a drive. We shall see!

Definitely test drive the GT4 first before getting rid of the M2.
Especially in your most typical use case scenarios.
You may be surprised by your comparison of the two.

Best.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #104
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydert View Post
Quote:

Definitely test drive the GT4 first before getting rid of the M2.
Especially in your most typical use case scenarios.
You may be surprised by your comparison of the two.

Best.
Unfortunately getting a GT4 for a test drive is pretty difficult. But the GT4 serves as a weekend fun car, so I think in that regard it will work well.

Based on your username, so you have a Spyder?
      09-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #105
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

Quote:
Unfortunately getting a GT4 for a test drive is pretty difficult. But the GT4 serves as a weekend fun car, so I think in that regard it will work well.

Based on your username, so you have a Spyder?

Aspirational!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #106
Oliv
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 6mt LBB

Just bought a M2C and love it to bits, but I’ve been enjoying this for the last 4 years and NO WAY I’m selling it:

When I got it in 2018, goal was to keep it 1 or 2 summers to have a fun backup car during my 335i overhaul (the N54 and it's famous wastegates going wrong...) and as a cheap, reliable (and slow, it's a 1.5) runaround...
Well guess what, this thing is incredibly fun, it really grew up on me, and I like the fact I can gun it on the road and not risk ending up in jail (unlike the turbo beemers )

I put twice the mileage I was planning to do with it, as it's both fun and cheap to run

Having both the Competition and a Miata (not even with the biggest engine, as anyway the M2C will fill this role) is the best combo ever
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      03-01-2022, 02:29 PM   #107
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

I can't prove it, but I think the cockpit is smaller on the hardtop than the softtop

Specifically, I think the rear bracing wall is moved forward a few inches to make room for the roof panels to do their magic origami thing.

This makes it so the seat can't be leaned back as far as in the softtop- I think. At least that's how it feels to me between my wife's RF-GT and my buddy's softtop.

I can NOT drive my wife's Miata unless the top is down- and even then it's a challenge getting in/out (I'm 6'/200 lbs for reference).
R.
      03-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #108
Oliv
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 6mt LBB

It is, I tried a RF and my head was touching the roof (I’m 1M92...6ft4 if my math skills are not too rusty). Seat all the way back of course.

The soft top gives me around 1 inch more which makes it manageable - but I barely use this car in a closed setup anyway...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 02:49 PM   #109
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliv View Post
Just bought a M2C and love it to bits, but I’ve been enjoying this for the last 4 years and NO WAY I’m selling it:

When I got it in 2018, goal was to keep it 1 or 2 summers to have a fun backup car during my 335i overhaul (the N54 and it's famous wastegates going wrong...) and as a cheap, reliable (and slow, it's a 1.5) runaround...
Well guess what, this thing is incredibly fun, it really grew up on me, and I like the fact I can gun it on the road and not risk ending up in jail (unlike the turbo beemers )

I put twice the mileage I was planning to do with it, as it's both fun and cheap to run

Having both the Competition and a Miata (not even with the biggest engine, as anyway the M2C will fill this role) is the best combo ever
The M2C has come and gone. Unfortunately I never got to own a Miata (yet), but I have taken multiple test drives with it and I can honestly say, it is such a fun car! Coming from a guy who owned a M2C and currently a GT4. That's certainly high praise!
      11-14-2022, 09:12 PM   #110
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:

I own and ND2 that is purely a track car, with a TON of modification. All it took was pads, fluid, coolant additive, camber plates, 200TW, AutoSolutions short shift kit, CVD delete, and square wheels on the M2C for me to want to ditch the Miata. I’m a sucker for lightweight, but the squared M2 really dances light on its feet! And it’s simpler to maintain and much gentler to drive to and from track events. Miata is great fun in any scenario, but I’ve been shocked at how much fun the M2 is in all situations as well. I never imagined a German 2+2 car, even an M, would have this much personality!
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50