BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Hub alignment?

09-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

Hub alignment?

I need to get an alignment soon. Most independent shops are quoting me around $100, and the dealership wants $269. My SA (great guy) shared that BMW does a wheel hub alignment for cars with electric steering instead of a wheel alignment in order to get the most precise alignment possible.

Can anyone shed more light on this? Is it worth nearly 3x the price if I can't find an Indy shop that can do the same for a more reasonable price?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 03:54 AM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

If it's a BMW dealership, they will be doing a full 4-wheel alignment, including the rear camber. And it will use the BMW KDS (made by Hunter) system - which can be seen in operation on YouTube - but appears to mount to the wheels.

BMW hourly workshop rates are always going to be higher than an independent, as they have to pay for all those front of house staff (such as your SA) somehow.

HTH
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #3
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
If it's a BMW dealership, they will be doing a full 4-wheel alignment, including the rear camber. And it will use the BMW KDS (made by Hunter) system - which can be seen in operation on YouTube - but appears to mount to the wheels.

BMW hourly workshop rates are always going to be higher than an independent, as they have to pay for all those front of house staff (such as your SA) somehow.

HTH
Thank you for those details! Does this system provide significant benefits compared to what you'd find at an Indy?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #4
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post

HTH
Thank you for those details! Does this system provide significant benefits compared to what you'd find at an Indy?
At the end of the day the machine doesn't matter so much, the operator makes the difference.

It's very very hard to be accurate to .0X degrees as the alignment will change ever so slightly as you tighten up the bolts. Also there is a bunch of squishy rubber in the suspension. Jack/Lower the car up 3 times in the same spot and the alignment specs will change ever so slightly, just because of how the car "lands" and loads the suspension/tires.

Do you even need an alignment? Unless you have hit something, changed the suspension, are tracking, or have uneven tire wear I would leave it alone. The setup does not need to be perfect as it's constantly changing (also changes as the suspension compresses).

I would do it at BMW or the best alignment place near you. Don't take it to the cheapest mofo out there as you can easily screw up the lower rear suspension arms. The shoulders the the camber bolts sit on are super soft, and if you don't undo them right will get damaged (lock the bolt, twist the nut).
      09-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #5
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
At the end of the day the machine doesn't matter so much, the operator makes the difference.

It's very very hard to be accurate to .0X degrees as the alignment will change ever so slightly as you tighten up the bolts. Also there is a bunch of squishy rubber in the suspension. Jack/Lower the car up 3 times in the same spot and the alignment specs will change ever so slightly, just because of how the car "lands" and loads the suspension/tires.

Do you even need an alignment? Unless you have hit something, changed the suspension, are tracking, or have uneven tire wear I would leave it alone. The setup does not need to be perfect as it's constantly changing (also changes as the suspension compresses).

I would do it at BMW or the best alignment place near you. Don't take it to the cheapest mofo out there as you can easily screw up the lower rear suspension arms. The shoulders the the camber bolts sit on are super soft, and if you don't undo them right will get damaged (lock the bolt, twist the nut).
Thank you for your feedback! I'll probably go with the independent shop then.. they're a reputable place. Definitely not a jiffy lube or someplace like that.
Appreciate 0