BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > COTA?

07-26-2021, 02:38 PM   #23
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

What group was on the track Sunday?
Was auto-xing in lot H and saw an HS M2C go past with numbers on the door.
      07-26-2021, 05:01 PM   #24
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki View Post
What group was on the track Sunday?
Was auto-xing in lot H and saw an HS M2C go past with numbers on the door.
That was NASA - racing, time trials, and HPDE.
Appreciate 1
Rumbloki176.00
      07-26-2021, 10:04 PM   #25
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Similar times in the 2:34 region, however I'm not balls out since mine is also my daily. I know there's more time to gain though. It was my first time back to COTA on my MCS 2ways, with H&R sways —still sorting out ideal settings.
Non-remote or remote? What spring rates? I'm considering those right now actually. BTW, something was dangling from your car—maybe o2 wire?

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...VrkcRK2-4K.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:22 PM   #26
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Unfortunately covid had other plans for me this weekend & had to skip the races

You have good pace - looks like you run more of a race line though. Hopefully not having to do that to keep people from diving in.

By race line it looks like a tendency to drift in too soon towards the low speed corners on entry. It's hard to say for sure because of the helmet cam view - but it looks like a T1 you start to pinch off the corner a bit by drifting in before committing to the turn. At the apex you are still pointed out quite a bit - and with this corner being over 90* you really, really need to be as rotated as possible at the apex in order to be able to get to wot quickly. It also puts you pointed on a better line for T2 - not drifting out on exit so far down the track from T1 so you are able to drop down lower for T2 entry. Can then run that turn faster now that it is straightened out a bit more.

T11 looks like the same - drifting in too soon and making it to where you are not rotated enough at the apex. Most important corner - have to get to wot asap. Maybe stay out wider & deeper on entry so that you can be more fully rotated at the apex and can get back to wot much quicker being on a much better line. Might try going to the end of the red/white rumble curb on the right before you start your turn in.

T18 - not sure what happened??? Doesn't look like you got loose - was the car pushing out through the turn and you had to stay low throttle to get it through? Lot of time between there and 19 (don't pinch 19 either).

Had good pace overall - think in more favorable conditions & a little line clean up will be in the 2:30.xx pretty quickly.

Also are you on the stock suspension?
Bummer about having to miss the weekend—hate to hear that.

Thanks for the positivity on pace. I do have a tendency to turn in a little early and I'm trying to get away from that (although I wouldn't mind a race line in a real race ). It may also appear I'm doing it more due to the camera location. Noted for T11 as well... and 19.

For 18, that video doesn't show it because by that time in the day, I'd succumbed to just maintaining throttle (car was still wanting to push wide, or feel wiggly in the rear), and getting through it. I don't think any videos I have will really show what I meant as I think it's just more of a feeling I was getting through the seat—just didn't feel stable at all.

I'll keep in mind 19–the faster I've begun to go through that turn, the more I've had to work at it and I know exactly what you're saying. I'm still trying to figure out the braking and turn in as I usually either brake in a straight line and turn in early, or end up trailing a hair into turn in which upsets the car a little in the rear.

If I can string all that together on these tires into a 2:30.xx, I would be stoked. I'm on Öhlins with their out of the box spring rates and settings mostly. I was running 4 clicks up front, 5 in the rear. BTW—one thing I need to adjust is the ride height because switching to square tires messed that up a hair and I didn't have time to get to it before-hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:27 AM   #27
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Quote:
Similar times in the 2:34 region, however I'm not balls out since mine is also my daily. I know there's more time to gain though. It was my first time back to COTA on my MCS 2ways, with H&R sways —still sorting out ideal settings.
Non-remote or remote? What spring rates? I'm considering those right now actually. BTW, something was dangling from your car—maybe o2 wire?

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...VrkcRK2-4K.jpg
NR. 550 front and 450 rear. Interesting I will need to check the car. Didn't notice anything recently. Did I run over some power lines somewhere? 😆
      07-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #28
OG Shark
Rep

Mission accomplished!

Quote:
Bummer about having to miss the weekend—hate to hear that.

Thanks for the positivity on pace. I do have a tendency to turn in a little early and I'm trying to get away from that (although I wouldn't mind a race line in a real race ). It may also appear I'm doing it more due to the camera location. Noted for T11 as well... and 19.

For 18, that video doesn't show it because by that time in the day, I'd succumbed to just maintaining throttle (car was still wanting to push wide, or feel wiggly in the rear), and getting through it. I don't think any videos I have will really show what I meant as I think it's just more of a feeling I was getting through the seat—just didn't feel stable at all.

I'll keep in mind 19–the faster I've begun to go through that turn, the more I've had to work at it and I know exactly what you're saying. I'm still trying to figure out the braking and turn in as I usually either brake in a straight line and turn in early, or end up trailing a hair into turn in which upsets the car a little in the rear.

If I can string all that together on these tires into a 2:30.xx, I would be stoked. I'm on Öhlins with their out of the box spring rates and settings mostly. I was running 4 clicks up front, 5 in the rear. BTW—one thing I need to adjust is the ride height because switching to square tires messed that up a hair and I didn't have time to get to it before-hand.
Yeah definitely good to be able to run different lines - but having to run defensive in a HDPE is a rough event! I like to run the fast, race, defensive, etc lines and everything in between just to get practice. Also a good excuse for me when I botch a corner - just tell the guys I was working on an alternate line...

Might try it on those turns and see what you think. Even if you coast a bit in 1 & 11 to help with rotation it could be worth it (not usually the best practice but those two turns are oddballs). On those two it is all about the exit.

19 is wonky to me - my most inconsistent turn on the track. Just takes some time developing the reference that works for you. One thing that has really helped me through 19 is left foot braking - being able to balance the car and manage the weight better using both feet so as not to unload the rear too much.

Maybe bentom2 suggestion of lower psi in the rear will help keep in under control through the carousel. Lot of stress on the left rear there. Lost a lot of time on that lap through there that you will gain once you figure out what was going on. And you can always join the grown men with street cars that sport wings on them club No doubt 2:30 is within reason.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      07-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #29
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
NR. 550 front and 450 rear. Interesting I will need to check the car. Didn't notice anything recently. Did I run over some power lines somewhere? 😆
And you were waving to the cameras - you had it all going on in that pic!
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      07-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #30
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
And you were waving to the cameras - you had it all going on in that pic!
I try to keep the corner workers entertained 😁

Edit: It was a wire connected to the diff cooler, so I guess something that secured it came loose. Zip ties cured that! Love it when it's an easy fix!

Thx to M1500Z for the spot.
      08-13-2021, 05:04 PM   #31
OG Shark
Rep

Edge Addicts added Sep 18 & 19 at COTA. Think we might head out there to go get a baseline on the stock M2C.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      08-19-2021, 08:44 AM   #32
OG Shark
Rep

Signed up for the Sep 18/19 weekend. Perfect timing for the M2C for a stock baseline run and the M3 for some more testing on the tune

Renting a full garage - should have a space or two available if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #33
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Signed up for the Sep 18/19 weekend. Perfect timing for the M2C for a stock baseline run and the M3 for some more testing on the tune

Renting a full garage - should have a space or two available if anyone is interested.
I'm strongly considering it—September is still hot, but I'm wanting some more track time.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #34
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
I'm strongly considering it—September is still hot, but I'm wanting some more track time.
Yeah still going to be stupid hot out there - normally would sit it out but my race schedule is all screwed up the 2nd half of the year with conflicts pretty much every weekend through Christmas.

Plus really need that baseline asap so we can get going on the fun stuff with the M2C. Hopefully can get a clean run when it is "cool" one of the mornings...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:27 AM   #35
OG Shark
Rep

Anyone going this weekend? Looks like a cold front is moving through - only low 90's this weekend
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #36
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

I thought and thought about it, but I’m just waiting until it’s cooler. ECR with Chin early next month though! Need to find some decent vids to watch.
Appreciate 2
mcvaughan702.00
OG Shark4656.00
      09-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #37
OG Shark
Rep

It’s way too freaking hot out here! Managed a 2:37.3 on the MP4S. Not much grip to be had out there this weekend. Going to try it again in the morning - hopefully a little more grip and power to be had. Would like to see 2:35 in stock trim. Cooling is an issue that will need to be addressed moving forward.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      09-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #38
OG Shark
Rep

Just way too hot out there this weekend. Pushing 100 ambient & we were getting 125 asphalt temps on pit lane - can only imagine how high they actually were on the track. Lots of fun though - played taxi service for the most part taking all our guys around on ride alongs.

Best I could get Sunday morning was 2:36.38 on the MP4S. 81 ambient, no passenger. OEM spec tires, street alignment, everything still stock except for the AP Racing brakes.

Really impressed with the M2C right out of the box. Definitely some room for improvement as a track car but that thing took a beating and performed great all weekend.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan702.00
      09-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #39
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Good stuff dude! No help at all this weekend and still managed a 36. Good on ya.

It really is an impressive package—mine will likely stay stock drivetrain for a long time because it just works 100% of the time. I've never driven on that tire at all, but they seem to be quite impressive for a street tire.

With the temps over the weekend, I'm glad I stayed home. I did sign up for December's event though ��.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4656.00
      09-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #40
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Good stuff dude! No help at all this weekend and still managed a 36. Good on ya.

It really is an impressive package—mine will likely stay stock drivetrain for a long time because it just works 100% of the time. I've never driven on that tire at all, but they seem to be quite impressive for a street tire.

With the temps over the weekend, I'm glad I stayed home. I did sign up for December's event though ��.
Thanks - you definitely chose right staying home - it was at a stupid level of hot out there. Still had a great time though - CrashFL was there with us and we were both playing taxi service. Pretty awesome letting the guys get to experience the car on the track like that.

The MP4S is a good tire - but there was no traction to be had at all on it this weekend. Definitely recommend it though if you want to do a bit of drifting around the track

The delta with the slicks would have been greater in equal conditions. My best lap on the MP4S was at 8:00. Best on the slicks was at 1:00 when the ambient temp was already pushing towards 100. Also had a 180lb passenger with me when I ran that time on the slicks. I actually trapped higher on the back straight on the MP4S despite getting much, much better exits out of 11 and going considerably deeper before braking for 12. I believe those were worth at minimum 2 seconds lost per lap.

Was also having to do at least one cool down lap during each session. Engine temps were getting too high and the DCT would also start to get laggy. On slicks would usually have to back off a couple of times per session.

Definitely see some areas that need improvement - but yes it is an awesome base to start with.
Appreciate 0