BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > DIY BMW M2 Oil Change video

06-01-2021, 04:25 AM   #1
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition (LCII)

DIY BMW M2 Oil Change video

Hi all,

This is me doing an oil change on my M2. Hope this is useful to some of you.

Thanks,
HunterHofman
Appreciate 7
F87source7235.00
mtl8851.00
Kikuchiyo113.00
VisualEcho6629.00
///M TOWN16071.00
M2Pilot278.50
      06-01-2021, 05:53 AM   #2
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

Thanks for posting detailed instructions from lifting up a car till the measuring oil level. It's great.

Was the oil level lowered after running engine for a while as the oil filling up the empty dead spaces in the channels?
      06-01-2021, 06:31 AM   #3
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Great video, very clear instructions.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Good stuff.
      06-02-2021, 03:20 AM   #5
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
Thanks for posting detailed instructions from lifting up a car till the measuring oil level. It's great.

Was the oil level lowered after running engine for a while as the oil filling up the empty dead spaces in the channels?
Thank you, appreciate it.

I did the oil level measurement on video after driving about 30 minutes directly afterwards and I did it once a week later; the oil level is still the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:05 AM   #6
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Great video, very clear instructions.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 05:48 AM   #7
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterHofman View Post
Quote:

Thank you, appreciate it.

I did the oil level measurement on video after driving about 30 minutes directly afterwards and I did it once a week later; the oil level is still the same.
Quote:
Thanks for reply.
Running engine for a minute or two should be enough to make the oil level stable.
That may be the reason why you didn't see any changes after a 30 minute drive and thereafter.
      06-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Nice video.

Interesting that there is no oil filter priming.

I wonder if draining the oil on an angle has any effect on the amount of oil that's drained, as opposed to having it flat on a lift. Regardless, I'll be doing mine at an angle as well, so 6.5L is perfect, thanks for that.

I've been doing my own oil changes (on some cars) for the last 30 years, and I do recommend a set of ramps for this job, as it's much faster, and safer, but you've done well.

Did you source your parts via FCP Euro so you can return them free after use for replacements, or get them somewhere else? You really should include links/part #'s in the notes on YouTube, it will help.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #9
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Thanks for reply.
Running engine for a minute or two should be enough to make the oil level stable.
That may be the reason why you didn't see any changes after a 30 minute drive and thereafter.
The car will only let you do the oil level check after it has warmed up enough, this annoys me a lot about the removal of a proper dipstick. I can understand the addition of the electronic level check but when they ARE able to add the dipstick back for motorsports versions of the car (e.g. M235i Cup/M240i Cup/M2CS Cup all have dipsticks), I don't understand why it was removed.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
The car will only let you do the oil level check after it has warmed up enough, this annoys me a lot about the removal of a proper dipstick. I can understand the addition of the electronic level check but when they ARE able to add the dipstick back for motorsports versions of the car (e.g. M235i Cup/M240i Cup/M2CS Cup all have dipsticks), I don't understand why it was removed.
Use the live oil dip stick reading in ista, full is 255mm.
tux2005234.00
      06-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Nice video.

I wonder if draining the oil on an angle has any effect on the amount of oil that's drained, as opposed to having it flat on a lift. Regardless, I'll be doing mine at an angle as well, so 6.5L is perfect, thanks for that.

I've been doing my own oil changes (on some cars) for the last 30 years, and I do recommend a set of ramps for this job, as it's much faster, and safer, but you've done well.

Did you source your parts via FCP Euro so you can return them free after use for replacements, or get them somewhere else? You really should include links/part #'s in the notes on YouTube, it will help.
Thanks for your reply. Although very minimal (negligible imho), it would indeed be better to prime the oil filter as well, however there was still a little bit of oil left in the oil filter housing (can't be seen on video), so it was kind of primed after all when refitting it.

The jack and 2 jack stands were all the tools that I had available, I will be buying a quick jack (or ramps) at some point! The drain plug, however, was relatively far down and on the back side of the sump; the slight angle it was on wasn't an issue at all I think (but yes, having it flat would be better, strictly speaking).

Good point on the part numbers, I'll include them in the description! I bought the parts from a Dutch website (I'm Dutch).
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      06-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for reply.
You're right. Circulation goes very quickly indeed. Although I didn't expect any changes, I was just curious after a week .
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Nice video.

You don't need to prime the oil filter bmw doesn't do it and ista doesn't specify it. If you really want to you can dunk your filter in oil and fill the housing with oil. However the oil filter housing drains to the sump extremely quickly without the cap there so if you're slow to screw in the cap the priming is for nothing.
VisualEcho6629.00
      08-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #14
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Where did you locate those jack stands?

Thanks for posting the video. I was hoping you also did for the transmission and differential.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #15
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Where did you locate those jack stands?

Thanks for posting the video. I was hoping you also did for the transmission and differential.
I located them at the start of the respective wishbones.

Although the car is too young to have the diff- and transmission oil changed already (15k kilometres), I am planning to do that too for my learning and to make a bit more of content (which I both enjoy doing)!
Appreciate 1
ghstm268.50
      09-05-2021, 07:01 AM   #16
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Just changed mine yesterday. I did it on ramps while the car was warm. I drained and measured about 7.1L (it was showing at the max full mark). Put in 7 quarts of PP Euro 5w-40 which is 6.62L and after a short drive measured showing at the max full mark. I think the dealer may have been overfilling just a tad.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2021, 10:13 AM   #17
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Just changed mine yesterday. I did it on ramps while the car was warm. I drained and measured about 7.1L (it was showing at the max full mark). Put in 7 quarts of PP Euro 5w-40 which is 6.62L and after a short drive measured showing at the max full mark. I think the dealer may have been overfilling just a tad.
7.1 litres is quite the amount, yes. That does seem a bit overfilled, but I suppose if it it didn't cross the mark it would be okay!

Out of interest, why did you go with 5w40?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #18
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
7.1 litres is quite the amount, yes. That does seem a bit overfilled, but I suppose if it it didn't cross the mark it would be okay!

Out of interest, why did you go with 5w40?
Its one of the best LL-01 (non FE) oil you can buy in the US. You won't find many LL-01 oils in the US that are anything thinner than 0w-40 or 5w-40.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #19
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Is that electronic dipstick accurate? He measured the drained oil to be 7.1L. I guess he missed to inform if he ran the elec dipstick BEFORE draining the oil. I wonder how accurate that system is….+/– 100mL?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #20
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Is that electronic dipstick accurate? He measured the drained oil to be 7.1L. I guess he missed to inform if he ran the elec dipstick BEFORE draining the oil. I wonder how accurate that system is….+/– 100mL?
It was at the full mark before. Not sure at what level it will indicate over fill but I never saw it.
Appreciate 0