BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > M2C 2NH (6 Piston) Track Pads

05-10-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
zanchee
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Hey all, I’ve scoured the forums here for various opinions on track pads for the M2C 2NH 6 piston calipers, and I see a few pads mentioned, but the only two I find any comments on are Pagid RSL29 and Ferodo DS.1

Pad options for the 2NH brakes feel pretty limited, so was wondering if anyone could chime in on their experience with any of the following pads.

- Carbotech XP8
- Carbotech XP10
- Carbotech XP12
- Pagid RSL29
- Porterfield R4
- Endless ME20
- Ferodo DS1.11
- Someone mentioned G-LOC but I couldn’t find anything.

I’m particularly interested in hearing experiences with the Carbotech pads and Porterfield R4s. I’m really curious as to what the RSL29 and DS1.11 provide that justifies their pretty massive price jump over something like the Porterfield R4 and Carbotech pads.

It’s been really hard tracking down experiences as most people end up chiming in with regard to PFC/Hawk pads, neither of which are relevant for the 2NH crowd.
Appreciate 1
toned44.00
      06-07-2023, 11:23 AM   #2
Gary O
Gary O
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Porterfeld R-4

My Experience is with the R-4 pads. I am an instructor with the club and I push the car hard during instructor lap sessions. I found the Porterfeld pads to be exceptional on track with very good modulation and stopping power. I have never had any issues with brake overheating or soft peddle feel during out 20-25min lapping at High Plains Raceway..

Only negative is the pad does dust under track conditions. But that is to be expected with track pads. I change my pads at home and can drive to the track with no issues. They have good Cold bite and are suitable for street use if you don't mind the squeel and the dust.

I normally just put them on before the first track event and them run them all summer over two - three events. Not an issue.
Other positive is they are much more cost effective than other options, such as Padgid and Ferrodo.

Great Pads.........highly recommended.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 11:49 AM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I'm not a fan of RSL29. They have really low bite and you need to get deep into the pedal with a lot of force on the pedal to make them stop.

The only issue I've seen with Porterfield is sometimes their backing plates can be out of spec. I've seen a few for F8x that I've had to grind down to fit in the caliper properly (it was just a bit oversized).

Ferodo definitely has a price premium, not all of it is justified IMO, but they're good pads. I enjoy the DS3.12, and the 1.11 should be longer lasting (and more rotor friendly) than those with a bit less initial bite.

I also like PFC08 if that's an option. Those are long lasting and pretty rotor friendly too.

Skip GLOC. Their pads and Carbotechs are almost identical, but Carbotech has much better customer support.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
aatlas192.00
      06-07-2023, 12:47 PM   #4
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Carbotech xp12s front and rear. Resist fade decently well so they were reproducible lap after lap. They don't dust as much as the stock pads. I really liked them as a street pad. If they didn't squeal like hell I'd run them daily. The compound feels a little soft to me for track use. They are easy to modulate until you get close to max pedal pressure. They kinda go numb in that region. They don't fade, but the don't feel like they give much feedback.

This is was running a 1:45.8 at Carolinas motorsports park.
Appreciate 2
aatlas192.00
      06-07-2023, 01:38 PM   #5
zanchee
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Thanks for the input! I ended up getting the Carbotech XP12 pads to try out. I ordered them a few weeks ago, in preparation for a track day that got cancelled. I’ll see how they do, but it sounds like the porterfields would be the next pad to try if I’m not happy with the XP12s.

Really appreciate the thorough notes here!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:13 PM   #6
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanchee View Post
Hey all, I’ve scoured the forums here for various opinions on track pads for the M2C 2NH 6 piston calipers, and I see a few pads mentioned, but the only two I find any comments on are Pagid RSL29 and Ferodo DS.1

Pad options for the 2NH brakes feel pretty limited, so was wondering if anyone could chime in on their experience with any of the following pads.

- Carbotech XP8
- Carbotech XP10
- Carbotech XP12
- Pagid RSL29
- Porterfield R4
- Endless ME20
- Ferodo DS1.11
- Someone mentioned G-LOC but I couldn’t find anything.

I’m particularly interested in hearing experiences with the Carbotech pads and Porterfield R4s. I’m really curious as to what the RSL29 and DS1.11 provide that justifies their pretty massive price jump over something like the Porterfield R4 and Carbotech pads.

It’s been really hard tracking down experiences as most people end up chiming in with regard to PFC/Hawk pads, neither of which are relevant for the 2NH crowd.
R4 are a solid option if you want pads with decent cold bite, a linear feeling pedal, good operating range in high heat, somewhat gentle rotor wear, and average pad wear characteristics. Lots of dust though! Moderate noise. I’ve been using DS1.11 and I’m pretty pleased. I like them more than Carbotech XP or R4 on F87. DS1.11 hold up to heat well and require minimal bedding, with gentle wear on the rotors. I’ve done three days (95+ degree days on 200TW at a good pace for five 25-minute sessions) on my set and they’ve still got about two thirds pad material left. Good range of modulation too. Decent cold bite. I run DS2500 in the rear and swap in DS2500 to the front calipers for street use.

I’ve heard good things about endless ME, but never tried. If you can find them, or request the shape to be cut for you, Raybestos ST43 and ST45 have earned a very good reputation as being amongst the best on track. I loved them on my ND2 Miata endurance build. They perform equally well on heavier cars. Great cold bite, excellent heat tolerance, high grip but with good modulation, very long lasting, rotor friendly abrasion characteristics. Honestly, after my DS1.11 are toast, I’m determined to try ST45 front and ST43 rear. They’re manufactured and sold by porterfield.

Last edited by DrChase; 07-18-2023 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
aatlas192.00
      07-19-2023, 08:19 AM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChase View Post
R4 are a solid option if you want pads with decent cold bite, a linear feeling pedal, good operating range in high heat, somewhat gentle rotor wear, and average pad wear characteristics. Lots of dust though! Moderate noise. I’ve been using DS1.11 and I’m pretty pleased. I like them more than Carbotech XP or R4 on F87. DS1.11 hold up to heat well and require minimal bedding, with gentle wear on the rotors. I’ve done three days (95+ degree days on 200TW at a good pace for five 25-minute sessions) on my set and they’ve still got about two thirds pad material left. Good range of modulation too. Decent cold bite. I run DS2500 in the rear and swap in DS2500 to the front calipers for street use.

I’ve heard good things about endless ME, but never tried. If you can find them, or request the shape to be cut for you, Raybestos ST43 and ST45 have earned a very good reputation as being amongst the best on track. I loved them on my ND2 Miata endurance build. They perform equally well on heavier cars. Great cold bite, excellent heat tolerance, high grip but with good modulation, very long lasting, rotor friendly abrasion characteristics. Honestly, after my DS1.11 are toast, I’m determined to try ST45 front and ST43 rear. They’re manufactured and sold by porterfield.
If anyone goes the Raybestos route please report back. Seems that some Corvette folks like them. I might try the DSUNO next.
      08-03-2023, 12:01 AM   #8
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
If anyone goes the Raybestos route please report back. Seems that some Corvette folks like them. I might try the DSUNO next.
If I go with STs on the F87, I’ll post about it. It’ll be my next pad after DS1.11. DS1.11 has great modulation but not great initial bite. I’ve been recommended DSUNO from a friend who has used them on his GT3RS and his F80CS. He said they’re rotor friendly like the DS1.11 and almost as linear, but with higher grip throughout the pedal travel (higher coefficient across the whole curve), and need a little more heat than DS1.11 for an ideal operating window.
Appreciate 0