BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Nexsys Motorsports Ignition Coil Upgrade Kit

08-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Nexsys Motorsports Ignition Coil Upgrade Kit

It looks like Nexsys finally released pre-orders for their B58 coil conversion kit for N55 and S55s. Who wants to give it a go?

https://nexsysmotorsport.com/n-s55-i...l-upgrade-kit/
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      08-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
It looks like Nexsys finally released pre-orders for their B58 coil conversion kit for N55 and S55s. Who wants to give it a go?

https://nexsysmotorsport.com/n-s55-i...l-upgrade-kit/
Took some time but man this is gonna be cool!

In terms of who wants to give it a go, you'd be the ideal candidate! You're making enough power for this to actually have a meaningful impact, and you have a tuner that can tune for the new coils (since most ots maps guys won't have the check box option for it yet).
-Eidos491.00
      08-26-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Took some time but man this is gonna be cool!

In terms of who wants to give it a go, you'd be the ideal candidate! You're making enough power for this to actually have a meaningful impact, and you have a tuner that can tune for the new coils (since most ots maps guys won't have the check box option for it yet).
Haha maybe I'll try it out. The increase in efficiency will be nice and I won't have to run a .018'' gap size on these NGK F8S flex fuel plugs.

I'll have to look into which B58/S58 plugs to run for this kit.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      08-26-2021, 11:13 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Haha maybe I'll try it out. The increase in efficiency will be nice and I won't have to run a .018'' gap size on these NGK F8S flex fuel plugs.

I'll have to look into which B58/S58 plugs to run for this kit.
Justin from twsited tuning reported his stock b58 supra plugs were good for 700 whp at stock gap too (shows you how beefy these B58 coils are), so you could run those. IIRC they're a heat range colder than our N55 m2 plugs.

BTW are you manual or dct?
      08-27-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

i sent a few emails to the company on here and ***********, never got a response.
it is something i will be trying
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
i sent a few emails to the company on here and ***********, never got a response.
it is something i will be trying
Yeah I heard they're super busy and have some crazy back logs, you'll need to be patient.
      08-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Justin from twsited tuning reported his stock b58 supra plugs were good for 700 whp at stock gap too (shows you how beefy these B58 coils are), so you could run those. IIRC they're a heat range colder than our N55 m2 plugs.

BTW are you manual or dct?
I'm manual

Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      08-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm manual
Very nice! 3 pedal life!

Btw did you upgrade the clutch? If so what clutch are you using?
      08-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #9
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Very nice! 3 pedal life!

Btw did you upgrade the clutch? If so what clutch are you using?
Yup, had to upgrade my clutch after it started slipping when we increased the torque.

SD Garage in San Diego gave me the opportunity to use my car as a test mule for a beta variant of what's going to be the F8x X-Clutch twin-disc kit.

I don't really have a timeline for when X-Clutch will release the finalized product, but I know they're working on implementing some of my recommendations to make it better than it already is. I recommend waiting for the X-Clutch if you're not in any rush to upgrade.

They are the clear leaders in the space: https://www.xclutchusa.com/

Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      08-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yup, had to upgrade my clutch after it started slipping when we increased the torque.

SD Garage in San Diego gave me the opportunity to use my car as a test mule for a beta variant of what's going to be the F8x X-Clutch twin-disc kit.

I don't really have a timeline for when X-Clutch will release the finalized product, but I know they're working on implementing some of my recommendations to make it better than it already is. I recommend waiting for the X-Clutch if you're not in any rush to upgrade.

Good stuff! Thanks for continuing to develop our platform!

For me the stock clutch will be more than enough, since I will be doing a track build and cooling will be the limiting factor not the clutch.
      08-28-2021, 01:45 AM   #11
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:

Good stuff! Thanks for continuing to develop our platform!

For me the stock clutch will be more than enough, since I will be doing a track build and cooling will be the limiting factor not the clutch.
Speaking of cooling a company on IG told me they have a liquid air IC kit for the n55. This would be sick because then we could stuff massive oil coolers where the IC goes
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 02:54 AM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
Speaking of cooling a company on IG told me they have a liquid air IC kit for the n55. This would be sick because then we could stuff massive oil coolers where the IC goes
Really? What company is it if you don't mind sharing, and is it plug and play?

Because I know OG shark on here made the s55 air to water intercooler unit fit on his OG m2, but the shop that did it for him didn't plan to have a kit made iirc.

But if a pnp kit is going to be available that would be incredible, because it would allow us to run a full sized radiator from the s55 which would greatly improve coolant temps which is what we are currently struggling to fight.
      08-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #13
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Because I know OG shark on here made the s55 air to water intercooler unit fit on his OG m2, but the shop that did it for him didn't plan to have a kit made iirc.

But if a pnp kit is going to be available that would be incredible, because it would allow us to run a full sized radiator from the s55 which would greatly improve coolant temps which is what we are currently struggling to fight.
M_technik_ on Instagram. They've been answering my questions except the 1 big question lol what's it freaking cost.

Let's be real lol, our cars struggle with coolant and oil temps.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      08-28-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

We struggle with coolant and oil temps? Need to me, but I guess everyone’s region is different.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #15
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
We struggle with coolant and oil temps? Need to me, but I guess everyone’s region is different.
Yeah big time. Pushing hard on track for a few Laps at 90*+ ambient the temps can skyrocket putting the car in limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #16
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah big time. Pushing hard on track for a few Laps at 90*+ ambient the temps can skyrocket putting the car in limp mode.
Has that happened to anyone here? I’ve seen that happen preEWG N55s, but not now. And mostly due to no oil cooler (which we have) and a small intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #17
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Has that happened to anyone here? I’ve seen that happen preEWG N55s, but not now. And mostly due to no oil cooler (which we have) and a small intercooler.
Search ZM2's extreme cooling thread.

I've seen 240+ degree temps on not even hot days and my car has all coolers except the radiator upgraded.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      08-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #18
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Search ZM2's extreme cooling thread.

I've seen 240+ degree temps on not even hot days and my car has all coolers except the radiator upgraded.
That’s normal, that’s what the ECU is targeting for maximum efficiency. It’s not until you go into M (or sport) mode that more aggressive cooling targets are followed.

I know ZM2 had some issues, but that seems like an instal issue, or a calibration issue - not a temp issue. Have you ever reached the threshold of limp mode?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #19
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
That’s normal, that’s what the ECU is targeting for maximum efficiency. It’s not until you go into M (or sport) mode that more aggressive cooling targets are followed.

I know ZM2 had some issues, but that seems like an instal issue, or a calibration issue - not a temp issue. Have you ever reached the threshold of limp mode?
Sir, you need to do more research.

You’re saying basic things that we’re well beyond. This is an issue for N55 folks that push their cars hard on track in the summer.

If you’re just cruising around town, there’s no issue.
Appreciate 3
F87source7251.50
AWC-F87436.50
DrKevM52273.50
      08-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #20
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
M_technik_ on Instagram. They've been answering my questions except the 1 big question lol what's it freaking cost.

Thanks! You're the MVP!
      08-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Sir, you need to do more research.

You’re saying basic things that we’re well beyond. This is an issue for N55 folks that push their cars hard on track in the summer.

If you’re just cruising around town, there’s no issue.
+1

This man would know, amouray give this guy's thread a read he has literally been trying everything to solve the issue and we're getting close. If we have the air to water cooler and could run the full sized s55 radiator I'm sure water temps would be in check. You could also likely do the same with the arm intercooler (if the end tanks aren't too intrusive) because it doesn't stick backwards. Then if oil cooling is an issue you could always grab a giant an intercooler and use the thermostat delete plates to make it work, or find out how ER is able to adapt the stock heat exchanger lines to an fittings fie the oil cooler, then that will retain the stock heat exchanger loop.
      09-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #22
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:

Quote:

The heat struggle is real!

So you know the backstory the owner of M Technik has basically become like a little brother to me since I have started out on the track. He and another good buddy of ours first built my M3 race car and we have done everything on my BMWs together since. He is the one that put together the conversion to the A2W - very much a mad scientist. M-Technik is primarily a service and repair shop first though - so the three of us are collaborating together in OG Shark Motorsport with a focus on race/track/high performance builds and parts.

Not that any of that makes much of a difference here - the main thing being that we are working on the pnp kit! Just taken a bit of time for us to be able to get to this point with all that we needed to do to get up and running (and also get a race in here & there). Our in house parts & kits are starting to come out now though (M2 half cage prototype is ready and we are starting production!). This conversion kit is definitely one of priorities now.

And price - he hasn’t been able to answer that because we are not 100% sure of the total cost yet. Getting close but I like to know exactly what we have in something before we figure out the price. Also working on the final parts/options that we want to make available with these kits
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50