Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
No, the factory aluminium brace is miles better than the stock stamped steel fire wall brace we have from factory. But it still can't compete with something like the afe brace in terms of bracing the strut towers from movement towards and away from each other. It will be better at bracing in the direction to and from the firewall along with the up and down direction. This is where upgrade corner braces will help.
yea I’m talking to M2Ghost in the midst of buying his carbon corner braces for a really good deal. I think I’m gonna get the Wienchers strut brace though instead of the aFe to match the carbon. Also, debating whether to run an engine cover off or to get the Turner carbon engine cover to match. I feel like it’ll be too much carbon tho
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 03:19 AM   #90
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
yea I’m talking to M2Ghost in the midst of buying his carbon corner braces for a really good deal. I think I’m gonna get the Wienchers strut brace though instead of the aFe to match the carbon. Also, debating whether to run an engine cover off or to get the Turner carbon engine cover to match. I feel like it’ll be too much carbon tho
There's never enough carbon lol
DrKevM52273.50
      12-28-2022, 03:58 AM   #91
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
lmao I think it’ll look weird with a carbon strut brace right above a carbon engine cover. I just feel like it’ll look overkill for me and less of a “clean look”. I feel like I’d either run the carbon strut without the engine cover on or the engine cover on without the strut brace
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 04:10 AM   #92
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
lmao I think it’ll look weird with a carbon strut brace right above a carbon engine cover. I just feel like it’ll look overkill for me and less of a “clean look”. I feel like I’d either run the carbon strut without the engine cover on or the engine cover on without the strut brace
I personally don't really care about aesthetics, for me performance is everything. If it can look good too, then that's a nice benefit.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 04:42 AM   #93
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
I personally don't really care about aesthetics, for me performance is everything. If it can look good too, then that's a nice benefit.
I’m both but hate eyesores I’m very OCD with things lol
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      12-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #94
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
FACTS!!!
Appreciate 2
shaneguags1192.50
F87source7251.50
      12-28-2022, 11:47 AM   #95
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
FACTS!!!
yall gonna make me go broke
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      12-28-2022, 08:26 PM   #96
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
just a question for you guys, would a sway bar do the same thing as a strut bar ? both help with body roll / stabilizing correct ? Someone offered to sell H&R front and rear sway bars for $500, so I’m wondering if I should skip the strut and just buy those. And yes I am aware the rear sway bar is a pain to install lol
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 09:53 PM   #97
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
just a question for you guys, would a sway bar do the same thing as a strut bar ? both help with body roll / stabilizing correct ? Someone offered to sell H&R front and rear sway bars for $500, so I’m wondering if I should skip the strut and just buy those. And yes I am aware the rear sway bar is a pain to install lol
No they don't so the same thing.

In short:

Sway bars reduce body roll due to cornering.

Strut braces prevent the strut towers from moving which otherwise would cause the suspension geometry to move out of proper alignment thereby negatively affecting handling.

So they don't do the same things.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 01:37 AM   #98
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
So sway bars are for more cornering control and strut bars are for more traction control and stability in straight line speed ?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 02:57 AM   #99
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So sway bars are for more cornering control and strut bars are for more traction control and stability in straight line speed ?
Yes and no.

Yes sway bars improve cornering control, but strut braces don't improve handling over what the potential of the car is capable of, it only prevents handling from being lost due to suspension components shifting out of place. Braces will work in all kinds of driving conditions, so long as those driving conditions place a load on the strut towers and causes them to move and flex, in this case I don't think you'd feel anything for straight line driving because those loads are unlikely to cause much flexing to the strut towers. Even if straight line driving did flex the strut towers, I doubt a reduction in strut tower flexing will yield any gains that can be felt, because driving in a straight line really doesn't allow you to feel any improvements in suspension geometry.

In essence if you are only street driving or more concerned about straight line performance, pretty much all of these mods won't return much of a gain.
DrKevM52273.50
shaneguags1192.50
      12-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #100
3LiterBeater
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944 Turbo

Quote:
Think of sway bars as adding more spring rate. A thicker bar will prevent “roll” through higher spring tension at the cost of weight and less independence of the other wheel on that axle.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      12-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #101
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Yes and no.

Yes sway bars improve cornering control, but strut braces don't improve handling over what the potential of the car is capable of, it only prevents handling from being lost due to suspension components shifting out of place. Braces will work in all kinds of driving conditions, so long as those driving conditions place a load on the strut towers and causes them to move and flex, in this case I don't think you'd feel anything for straight line driving because those loads are unlikely to cause much flexing to the strut towers. Even if straight line driving did flex the strut towers, I doubt a reduction in strut tower flexing will yield any gains that can be felt, because driving in a straight line really doesn't allow you to feel any improvements in suspension geometry.

In essence if you are only street driving or more concerned about straight line performance, pretty much all of these mods won't return much of a gain.
In what scenario would you need a strut brace then ? seems like it would just improve comfortability with bumps. I guess it’s used for autocross? My build is a street car so if you think I won’t see much change maybe I should just skip. I honestly thought it would do a lot to the handling and just look cool lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #102
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
In what scenario would you need a strut brace then ? seems like it would just improve comfortability with bumps. I guess it’s used for autocross? My build is a street car so if you think I won’t see much change maybe I should just skip. I honestly thought it would do a lot to the handling and just look cool lol.
It's not going to make bumps feel more comfortable, if anything it'll make it worse as more vibrations will be sent through the chassis due to an increase in rigidity. Yes, another reason why people do it is because it looks good and is cheap.

Track use and auto x will see the biggest impact. You'll feel a difference with hard street driving too (unless all you do is straight line stuff, where small losses in suspension geometry won't really be felt, maybe you'll feel small bits of hunting in the wheel but likely nothing)- but it won't be as appreciated as on track, because you'll never hit the same limits on the street.

Remember M cars come with massive bracing increases from the factory over non M cars, so you won't feel the same massive improvement in steering feel over stock as you would with a non M car. So the reviews that alot of YouTubers say they feel with a strut brace likely will not be observed until pushing the car hard.

Last edited by F87source; 12-29-2022 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 3
DrKevM52273.50
jefe2000739.50
shaneguags1192.50
      12-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #103
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
It's not going to make bumps feel more comfortable, if anything it'll make it worse as more vibrations will be sent through the chassis due to an increase in rigidity. Yes, another reason why people do it is because it looks good and is cheap.

Track use and auto x will see the biggest impact. You'll feel a difference with hard street driving too (unless all you do is straight line stuff, where small losses in suspension geometry won't really be felt, maybe you'll feel small bits of hunting in the wheel but likely nothing)- but it won't be as appreciated as on track, because you'll never hit the same limits on the street.

Remember M cars come with massive bracing increases from the factory over non M cars, so you won't feel the same massive improvement in steering feel over stock as you would with a non M car. So the reviews that alot of YouTubers say they feel with a strut brace likely will not be observed until pushing the car hard.
ah okay if it’s only really shining on the track. I may just avoid, mainly due to the lack of need for it. Not to mention, it’ll be a huge pain for doing maitnance since I’m constantly working on dialing in the car.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      12-29-2022, 03:11 PM   #104
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
I decided on getting :

- NRW F87 M2 carbon fiber corner braces

- Slon Workshop F87 M2 carbon fiber front upper tie bar

- Turner Motorsports carbon fiber N55 engine cover

I wanted an OEM + looking but with lots of carbon fiber ! I orginally wasn’t planning on get these but F87source convinced me to get the corner braces. As well Matt, M2_ghost, gave me a really nice deal on the NRW corner braces and the Slon Motorsport front upper tie bar, which I appreciate a lot.

The corner braces and front upper tie bar should add more reduce weight and increase the strength of the body, creating less body movement.

Lastly, to tie everything in, I decided to purchase the Turner Motorsport carbon fiber engine cover to match all the carbon and to expose my BMS port injection intake manifold !

I’m doing all this in preparation for Bimmer Invasion, I can’t wait for the car to be complete
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
jefe2000739.50
F87source7251.50
      12-29-2022, 03:37 PM   #105
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I decided on getting :

I wanted an OEM + looking but with lots of carbon fiber ! I orginally wasn’t planning on get these but F87source convinced me to get the corner braces. As well Matt, M2_ghost, gave me a really nice deal on the NRW corner braces and the Slon Motorsport front upper tie bar, which I appreciate a lot.

The corner braces and front upper tie bar should add more reduce weight and increase the strength of the body, creating less body movement.

Lastly, to tie everything in, I decided to purchase the Turner Motorsport carbon fiber engine cover to match all the carbon and to expose my BMS port injection intake manifold !

I’m doing all this in preparation for Bimmer Invasion, I can’t wait for the car to be complete
Interesting, those corner braces look extremely thin. When you get it could you do a flex test?
      12-29-2022, 07:45 PM   #106
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Interesting, those corner braces look extremely thin. When you get it could you do a flex test?
Yes, of course ! on the website it states :

“The build out is 64oz of Grand Master Twill High Density and the reinforcement core is Aerospace grade foam insert in the axial Y plane. Stronger than 6061 Aluminum of the same thickness while being lighter and has a 3 stage urethane finish for a lifetime of gloss and beauty”

“Weight: 200 grams per side. Approximately 80% weight reduction from OEM. Each brace is reinforced internally with Lanter Soric XF core materials, which are used in Aerospace applications for the F21 Raptor Jet”

They seem very good quality !
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      12-29-2022, 07:46 PM   #107
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
I decided on getting :

Take your time with the Turner engine cover. There may be some trimming necessary.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      12-29-2022, 08:30 PM   #108
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, of course ! on the website it states ;

“The build out is 64oz of Grand Master Twill High Density and the reinforcement core is Aerospace grade foam insert in the axial Y plane. Stronger than 6061 Aluminum of the same thickness while being lighter and has a 3 stage urethane finish for a lifetime of gloss and beauty”

“Weight: 200 grams per side. Approximately 80% weight reduction from OEM. Each brace is reinforced internally with Lanter Soric XF core materials, which are used in Aerospace applications for the F21 Raptor Jet”

Great, can't wait to see the results! Because when I tested my TMS braces, I literally tried my hardest to flex it and even propped up the braces between two blocks of wood and stood on them, and literally zero flex at all. So I'm curious how these hold up.

Imo marketing descriptions shouldn't be the sole decider if a product is good or better vs. another. It's the testing data and engineering specs that counts. For eg. Oil, LM has very agressive marketing and sponsorships, and they have uv dye gimmicks and yet the cheaper oils like PPE out performs it by leaps and bounds.

My questions regarding these braces are:

1) what is the weave pattern and twill of the carbon used? Because grand master twill just implies large carbon weaves, it is commonly 12k but iirc it doesn't have to be.

2) it's good they have a foam insert to improve rigidity, because the brace is so thin. But are there actual testing data on these things?

3) it's good aero space grade material is being used, and not really cheap parts.

Overall the brace seems to be good, but I'm skeptical it is as strong and rigid as the TMS braces or RKP braces because it's so light. This means very little material is used, and thus it is really hard to believe it can be as strong as the other braces where alot more material is used. An analogy is like letter paper vs pizza box cardboard. Cardboard is alot stronger than paper, but if you have enough paper like a phone book, then it's apparent that enough material can make up for strength but at the cost of weight, and this is an analogy assuming the other item is made of weaker material. If the other item was made of equally strong material or even stronger material then it wouldn't even be a contest.
Appreciate 2
jefe2000739.50
shaneguags1192.50
      12-29-2022, 09:13 PM   #109
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Yes, of course ! on the website it states ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Take your time with the Turner engine cover. There may be some trimming necessary.
Yea I heard I’m worried because a shop had to cut my orginal one because of my port injection setup. I hope it fits, if not we may have to cut it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:15 PM   #110
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Great, can't wait to see the results! Because when I tested my TMS braces, I literally tried my hardest to flex it and even propped up the braces between two blocks of wood and stood on them, and literally zero flex at all. So I'm curious how these hold up.

Imo marketing descriptions shouldn't be the sole decider if a product is good or better vs. another. It's the testing data and engineering specs that counts. For eg. Oil, LM has very agressive marketing and sponsorships, and they have uv dye gimmicks and yet the cheaper oils like PPE out performs it by leaps and bounds.

My questions regarding these braces are:

1) what is the weave pattern and twill of the carbon used? Because grand master twill just implies large carbon weaves, it is commonly 12k but iirc it doesn't have to be.

2) it's good they have a foam insert to improve rigidity, because the brace is so thin. But are there actual testing data on these things?

3) it's good aero space grade material is being used, and not really cheap parts.

Overall the brace seems to be good, but I'm skeptical it is as strong and rigid as the TMS braces or RKP braces because it's so light. This means very little material is used, and thus it is really hard to believe it can be as strong as the other braces where alot more material is used. An analogy is like letter paper vs pizza box cardboard. Cardboard is alot stronger than paper, but if you have enough paper like a phone book, then it's apparent that enough material can make up for strength but at the cost of weight, and this is an analogy assuming [...]
I believe it’s 2x2 twill carbon based on the look. I’m sure it’s strong but I’ll make sure to test it. The lightness does worry me though !
Appreciate 0