BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > If you want good tires, buy the OE M2CS tires

11-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

If you want good tires, buy the OE M2CS tires

Now that development is done and the Cup2 OE variant has been developed by Michelin, a good option for those looking for a more “track”/“performance” tire can pick up the OE Cup2s off of the M2CS.

The M2CS has nearly equal weight with similar weight distribution and hp/tq.

Without pulling up some of my previous posts about the topic, I used to work for a tier 1 tire manufacturer. These OE tires are DIFFERENT from the cup2s you can buy off the shelf at tire rack as generic replacement tires. They’re designed specifically for the car.

I know I’m waiting for them to become available
Appreciate 3
JustChris17480.00
JTO245271.50
      11-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep

Word up
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Not exactly sure where you got info they developed tires for the car.

They are running the same size they've been running all along on the M2, just cup 2's instead.
      11-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

They are running the same size they've been running all along on the M2, just cup 2's instead.
StarSpec is a thing. And is a BMW OE compound. Which is why the BMW PSS is quite different than regular PSS
Appreciate 2
JTO245271.50
      11-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Now that development is done and the Cup2 OE variant has been developed by Michelin, a good option for those looking for a more “track”/“performance” tire can pick up the OE Cup2s off of the M2CS.

Without pulling up some of my previous posts about the topic, I used to work for a tier 1 tire manufacturer. These OE tires are DIFFERENT from the cup2s you can buy off the shelf at tire rack as generic replacement tires. They’re designed specifically for the car.

Riddle me this. Are some OE tires designed on purpose to protect the wheel lip? The way the tire protrudes on my current car seems to provide a bit of lateral bumper, and vertical protection when merging onto uneven pavement. I am concerned that if I go to non oem it might be more flush with wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

I read or heard as well that it was an M2CS specific tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Riddle me this. Are some OE tires designed on purpose to protect the wheel lip? The way the tire protrudes on my current car seems to provide a bit of lateral bumper, and vertical protection when merging onto uneven pavement. I am concerned that if I go to non oem it might be more flush with wheels.
Rim guards help a tiny bit if you just graze the curb but we never tested the functionality as it was mostly seen as a marketing feature. Tires with rim guards tend to “look” better and tires with them sold better per marketing. There’s very little you can do to protect the rims if the user smashes the curb and it’s nearly impossible to design repeatable tests

With regard to hitting potholes, there are a million variables but we had standardized tests that correlated pretty well for most rim sizes and materials.
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50
      11-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
One of my ex colleagues now works in Michelin and was able to confirm that there was an explicit program for the M2CS.

I’m pumped, the PSS is a good tire but I don’t drive in rain/snow and don’t really expect to get a long life out of the tire because I hardly put any miles on the car. No way I was going to buy the off the shelf cup2s.
Appreciate 1
JTO245271.50
      11-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
One of my ex colleagues now works in Michelin and was able to confirm that there was an explicit program for the M2CS.

I'm pumped, the PSS is a good tire but I don't drive in rain/snow and don't really expect to get a long life out of the tire because I hardly put any miles on the car. No way I was going to buy the off the shelf cup2s.
I just bought a set.

They will out perform even the 4S.
      11-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

been running star spec cup2s for 2 years now since i got my M2 nothing new
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

Michelin PSC2s M2 Star Specs already exist and have been available for some time

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

They also come preinstalled on the M Performance Parts 763M wheel and tire sets for the M2 and M2C
Appreciate 1
chris7197322.50
      11-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #12
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
StarSpec is a thing. And is a BMW OE compound. Which is why the BMW PSS is quite different than regular PSS
Well, it's different, but only Michelin knows how different it is. I doubt BMW PSS are as different to retail as to what GM shipped on the C7 Corvette, which crack quickly if stored below at or below freezing.

I doubt it takes a lot of effort to go from the M3/M4 tire to the M2 version. On Z4M, 1M, Z3M, the tire was directly taken off the M3 without ANY modifications (same part number).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 12:18 AM   #13
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

I've been running the Star Spec M2 Cup2's and while they're decent when warm, they do not have very good traction until they've gone a lap or two. I highly recommend anyone purchasing the Cup2's to leave it as a track only tire as you're going to get way better cold traction with a PSS or many other tires. When I say cold, I don't mean 50'F...I mean anything under 80'F. The cup2's spin in 3rd gear unless they're up to a decent temp.

Also I will say I've had two track days and about 8000miles on the Bmw Star Spec Cup2's and won't be going back to this tire.
AlpsRider2863.50
SCCThree813.00
      11-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #14
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Bridgestone RE71R, much less time to warm up, works in the rain and just as sticky
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 04:28 AM   #15
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:

You are right, however keep in mind that when Michelin or any other tire manufacturer develop an OE tire they just try to meet the performance requirements of the car manufacturer... and when you see BMW philosophy on the M2CS (plenty of confort features, cosmetic carbon parts, adaptative suspension,...) I have my doubts that the OE cup tire will be a more track aggressive tire than the replacement cup tire. If anything , in today's climate crisis paranoia, the OE tire might just be more environmentally friendly
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 05:32 AM   #16
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
been running star spec cup2s for 2 years now since i got my M2 nothing new
Yes, I have seen the Cup2 with BMW Star rating on Tire rack for years. They even stipulate that they are for the M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #17
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

CS spec tire will be worth considering if and only if BMW gave the green light to Michelin to develop a track-focused Cup 2.

I'm doubtful. Far more likely it will be closer to the Star Spec that comes with the GTS, which is very mild, street + track oriented.

First indication will be tread. If it resembles the Cup 2 R, GM Vette spec, then we might have something. If tread resembles GTS Star Spec, then don't expect any magic. For track purposes you'll be better off with various other R comps.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #18
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Cups only get a 5.5 rating in the rain. Not a good alternative for any location that sees a fair amount of rain. Maybe ok in Southern California but not many other locations.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #19
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Cups only get a 5.5 rating in the rain. Not a good alternative for any location that sees a fair amount of rain. Maybe ok in Southern California but not many other locations.
Star Spec Cup 2 are fine in the rain. Part of the reason they're not a standout dry track tire. Others are more dry track oriented, and therefore less capable in the wet. It all depends upon the Cup 2 spec.

Michelin presumably takes this naming approach to simplify matters, but I don't think it works... "Cup 2" encompasses a range of tires, many of which could be named differently. Performance characteristics between Cup 2 specs vary along the same lines of Pirelli P Zero Corsa vs. P Zero Trofeo R, but yeah, you wouldn't know it unless you're a tire geek.

Appreciate 4