BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Coolant cap left off on short drive - help please!

03-03-2019, 02:46 AM   #1
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Coolant cap left off on short drive - help please!

Hi all,

One of the other UK members mentioned yesterday that his coolant levels were low after picking up his M2C so I checked my level also after picking up my car on Friday and mine was also low, so I topped it up to recommended levels.

I then later in the day drove about 10 miles to pick up a pizza and as I pulled in to the car park the engine was steaming. I looked under the bonnet and at that point I saw the coolant cap sitting in the engine bay where I left it as well as coolant spluttered all over that side of the engine. I know, I know, stupid mistake (I still can't believe I did this).

I followed the trail of coolant and it looked like it only started leaking from the engine 150 feet away from where I parked my car. After picking up the pizza I put the cap back on, drove it home at the lowest revs possible and used a cloth to clean up all the coolant I could reach and then left the car to cool down.

I have been reading that I should bleed the coolant system and I have seen some guides on this, but can you guys please advise me what I should do? If any one could show me a picture of where the bleed screw is explain what I need to do to bleed the system I would massively appreciate it!

I am taking my car 50 miles to get some parts added tomorrow so I'd love to get this sorted today. Would it be ok to simply top up the coolant, drive the car and get them to sort this out? I would rather do it myself today if I had the right guidance.

Thanks in advance and feel free to mock me for my stupidity. I feel pretty stupid for making such a rookie mistake, but hey ho, you learn from your mistakes and all that.

Cheers,

Karl

P.S. for anyone wondering, it was a Spicy Hot from Dominoes
      03-03-2019, 04:53 AM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I doubt you lost enough coolant to cause any damage. Sounds like your drive was not spirited, since the cap hadn't even moved from where you left it. Did you notice temp gauge at all on that drive?

If you didn't get engine overheating warning, or a coolant low warning in iDrive, then the loss was likely minimal.

I would top off the coolant before driving anywhere, and preferably bleed the system DIY as it is possible that, if there is air in there, even with coolant topped off, you may overheat your engine on that 50 mile drive. For sure not worth the risk. Meaning if you dont figure out how to get this done, reschedule the parts install.

Guidance wise I wish I could help but have not done myself and i would say call service dept at local dealer and ask them to give you instructions?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 05:37 AM   #3
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I doubt you lost enough coolant to cause any damage. Sounds like your drive was not spirited, since the cap hadn't even moved from where you left it. Did you notice temp gauge at all on that drive?

If you didn't get engine overheating warning, or a coolant low warning in iDrive, then the loss was likely minimal.

I would top off the coolant before driving anywhere, and preferably bleed the system DIY as it is possible that, if there is air in there, even with coolant topped off, you may overheat your engine on that 50 mile drive. For sure not worth the risk. Meaning if you dont figure out how to get this done, reschedule the parts install.

Guidance wise I wish I could help but have not done myself and i would say call service dept at local dealer and ask them to give you instructions?
Hi,

Thanks for this.

It definitely wasn't a spirited drive and the temp gauge didn't light up, only the 'Low Coolant' notification came on in iDrive at the destination just before we left.

I am going to try and figure out how to bleed the system today and think I will put a thread in the main section to see if I can get some quicker responses.