BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > S55 break-in requirements?

02-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Benjoepen
Rep
Drives: M140i VO

S55 break-in requirements?

I’ve had a weekend with the car and so far I’m loving the step up from our m140. I was a little worried after seeing the recent YouTube post from Nfoxtv stating that it wasn’t so much of a Change to convince himself but I have to say the experience is very different. It’s much more raw and grunty than the 140. And the sense of stability when you start pushing is awesome!

I had a few comments from the dealership which I thought I’d share to get peoples thoughts on. Firstly I had the comments around the car having it’s power somewhat restricted prior to its break in service. I’ve seen the threads on this before but I just wanted to confirm that it was info I was getting from the dealer when I picked the car up.

Secondly they said not worry about revving past 4K during run in so long as it wasn’t prolonged bouts. They were very emphatic about being prompt with the run in service so I didn’t get the sense they were just more laid back about things... I’m curious what the general consensus is on this point?

Last edited by Benjoepen; 02-18-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nothing will happen if you rev it once or twice...
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I believe the manual says keep it below 5.5k rpm not 4, but check yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
I doubt the power is restricted, I think the only thing restricted is launch control.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Can't remember exactly where I copied the following; even though it is for Porsches (OK, there, I said a dirty word!), the basic advice seems sound and applicable to all high performance engines... which is to gradually increase RPMs over the break-in period. Also, conventional wisdom is not to drive for an extended distance at the same RPM which means no cruise control on a extended trip during break-in.

Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger on Porsche break-in, during a video presentation last Autumn, as reported by someone on Rennlist (http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/90228...e-rules.html):
"I videoed AP's presentation, and here is what he said:
«I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles.»
He then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more «delicate» rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.
Another point - he recommended to realign the car after 1000-1500 miles due to settling - especially since the tires are getting bigger and bigger, and more sensitive to changes. The RS apparently is really sensitive around this.
You figure the head of the GT program would give you the straight goods."
Preuninger also pointed out that people driving their GT4 or GT3 straight from the dealership to the track are hurting their cars.
      02-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Can't remember exactly where I copied the following; even though it is for Porsches (OK, there, I said a dirty word!), the basic advice seems sound and applicable to all high performance engines... which is to gradually increase RPMs over the break-in period. Also, conventional wisdom is not to drive for an extended distance at the same RPM which means no cruise control on a extended trip during break-in.

Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger on Porsche break-in, during a video presentation last Autumn, as reported by someone on Rennlist (http://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/90228...e-rules.html):
«I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles.»
He then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more «delicate» rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.
Another point - he recommended to realign the car after 1000-1500 miles due to settling - especially since the tires are getting bigger and bigger, and more sensitive to changes. The RS apparently is really sensitive around this.
Preuninger also pointed out that people driving their GT4 or GT3 straight from the dealership to the track are hurting their cars.
^ This has been my go to with Porsche GT cars... if it works for AP and the Weissach crew, it's good for me. Much better than taking someone's advice because when they did it, their car didn't break, so it must be okay...wtf

Last edited by devo; 02-18-2019 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
Benjoepen
Rep
Drives: M140i VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post

GREAT STUFF! Thanks for this, makes good sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

This guy does a good job of explaining some of the information on the break-in period:

It's not specific to the S55 or even BMWs, but it is still applicable.

As far as I know, the consensus on the car being "power restricted" prior to the break-in service has been debunked. The technicians don't do anything during the break-in service to change he power output.
Robin_NL8679.50
      02-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
This guy does a good job of explaining some of the information on the break-in period:

As far as I know, the consensus on the car being "power restricted" prior to the break-in service has been debunked. The technicians don't do anything during the break-in service to change he power output.
Thanks for the share. I have watched some of this guys' videos, but haven't seen this one. I hadn't thought about not using cruise control and not doing short journeys, i.e. getting the car up to proper temperature whilst in the break-in. I get my M2 Comp next Friday, so cheers
      02-19-2019, 01:40 AM   #10
hyperrift
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I know the consensus is that, but I just had my 2019 m2 break in service about a week ago and the service associate told me they were unlocking more power during the service. I explicitly said I thought that was kind of a myth and he said no, we do.

Now he could have been wrong or fucking with me but he seemed to indicate that they did something... I didn't press him for any details.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:42 AM   #11
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post
I know the consensus is that, but I just had my 2019 m2 break in service about a week ago and the service associate told me they were unlocking more power during the service. I explicitly said I thought that was kind of a myth and he said no, we do.

Now he could have been wrong or fucking with me but he seemed to indicate that they did something... I didn't press him for any details.
No, he's clueless. I don't know why, but a lot of dealership idiots think this.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 01:47 AM   #12
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
No, he's clueless. I don't know why, but a lot of dealership idiots think this.
It's kind of like a placebo. People think that the car has more power after the break in service and whether it has more power or not at least it has a positive psychological effect on the person who owns the car
      02-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #13
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Some tips from the experts

http://blog.jepistons.com/how-to-break-in-an-engine
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
That article seems to be aimed at a shop built engine. I think that engines in new cars including BMW go through a preliminary break-in process. I remember helping a friend rebuild a Ford 289 V8. Now that is a totally different type of break-in. That thing was incredibly tight on the first startup.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #15
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
That article seems to be aimed at a shop built engine. I think that engines in new cars including BMW go through a preliminary break-in process. I remember helping a friend rebuild a Ford 289 V8. Now that is a totally different type of break-in. That thing was incredibly tight on the first startup.
Agree on the article and a different build process.

I do not believe manufacturers do a factory break-in, preliminary or otherwise.
      02-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #16
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post
Quote:

The dyno doesn't lie. They don't unlock more power when the power is measured before and after.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #17
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Agree on the article and a different build process.

I do not believe manufacturers do a factory break-in, preliminary or otherwise.
Depends on the car actually. I recall that Honda actually does a full break in of their motor in the new NSX before handing it off to the consumer. Essentially they simulate hundreds of miles on an engine dyno. To my knowledge, bmw doesn’t do this with any motor.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #18
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Depends on the car actually. I recall that Honda actually does a full break in of their motor in the new NSX before handing it off to the consumer. Essentially they simulate hundreds of miles on an engine dyno. To my knowledge, bmw doesn’t do this with any motor.
I also watched a video recently (maybe the Engineering Explained one I posted earlier) that said that Nissan (?) does a factory break-in on their performance engines before dropping them into the car.
      02-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #19
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

There is no unlocking of power at 1,200 mile service.

Reasearch break in - everyone has a belief. You have Porsche on one side, this guy in the middle, https://www.enginelabs.com/news/disp...mance-academy/, to this guy http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.
Oh and here is one in the middle with some real interesting results.
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/b...in-myth#page-3

Here are some facts
1 you are new to the car, don't go crazy and kill yourself
2 easy on the brakes for first few hundred miles
3 don't miss your 1,200 mile appt.
4 always make sure engine is at temp before getting on it.

Me? I personally think babying the engine is the worst thing you can do and that the recommendations in the manual are written with lots of help from the BMW legal team (see #1). Oh yea, in all my years on these boards I've never seen a person write "I was hard on my engine in the first 1,200 miles and I regret it" but that's just me
Appreciate 4
Karmic Man1996.00
cptobvious2531.50
akkando5860.00
omasou2079.50
      02-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #20
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

The thing about not using cruise control is interesting, if I do a big road trip with my new car (which I will have to do to drop my old car off in another state) does that mean I can't just go 75 the whole time?

You are saying I need to switch up the gears or RPM on the highway?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #21
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
The thing about not using cruise control is interesting, if I do a big road trip with my new car (which I will have to do to drop my old car off in another state) does that mean I can't just go 75 the whole time?

That is a common recommendation to vary the speeds when new. How long varies but I vary a lot the first 100 or so miles and somewhat up to 500. Supposedly a fixed RPM for a long time causes uneven ring break-in and higher oil usage over time.

Plus it gives you an excuse to play a bit, ie drop a gear and accelerate every so often. But just varying 3-5 mph over time makes a difference.

PS: One BMW that I picked up > 100 miles from home and may have used cruise on the first trip, did seem to be more loose (and flat) at a certain highway RPM. Since then I have made it a point to vary when new.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post

That is a common recommendation to vary the speeds when new. How long varies but I vary a lot the first 100 or so miles and somewhat up to 500. Supposedly a fixed RPM for a long time causes uneven ring break-in and higher oil usage over time.

Plus it gives you an excuse to play a bit, ie drop a gear and accelerate every so often. But just varying 3-5 mph over time makes a difference.

PS: One BMW that I picked up > 100 miles from home and may have used cruise on the first trip, did seem to be more loose (and flat) at a certain highway RPM. Since then I have made it a point to vary when new.
Dang that might be a bit frustrating since my girlfriend will have to be following me in my old car for the whole 4 hour trip, meanwhile I'm gonna be constantly speeding up and slowing down haha
Appreciate 0