BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > New 2017 Owner - Vehicle and Emission Inspection

12-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

New 2017 Owner - Vehicle and Emission Inspection

Hey all! I'm a new owner of previously owned pristine 2017 M2. I'm coming from a 2006 Z4 M Roadster, so am familiar with ///M vehicle oil and inspection intervals. The previous owner barely drove it and the last oil service he did was beginning of the year at 3050 miles. It is now at 6000 miles and the 1 year/10K oil change is coming up in a month. This is fine, since I am used to doubling the frequency of the factory recommended oil changes anyway.

However the car and BMW Connected are also showing that a "Vehicle Inspection" and "Emission Inspection" are due at the same time. I have never heard of these before, so can someone shed light for me. This can't be Inspection I can it? Based on my past experience Inspection I would not arrive until 20-30K. So can someone clue me in please what these inspections are? All the whiz-bang computer wizardry compared to my M Roadster where everything talks to each other is a brave new world for me. I didn't even have nav in my roadster.....

Also, can someone point me to a checklist of what is performed at each service interval / inspection. I've been searching online but cannot find anything that is simple and clear. For my Z4M, I had a simple chart that showed mileage and which fluids would be changed, filters replaced, plugs changed, valve clearances adjusted, etc.

Thanks!
      12-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Mystery solved on the Emission Inspection and Vehicle Inspection warnings. As a newbie to idrive, it never occurred to me that these might be user settable alerts for state inspection intervals. I just set both to the year 2040 to essentially disable them. Maybe there is a way to turn them completely off, but it doesn't matter right now. The state will send me a reminder for emissions testing, so there's no reason for my vehicle to be nagging me as well. And the state of CT does not have routine vehicle inspections other than reading out OBD faults during the emission test. I think the previous owner was from NY which has yearly emission and safety inspections.
      12-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Congrats on the new car, you will love it. I have driven mine 35,000 miles and 14 track days and have not regretted my purchase at all. Great car and versatile.
Appreciate 0