BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > exactly wtf happened to my car @ the dealer?

10-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #23
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Situational Depression

Permit me to put on my armchair psychologist hat; you are showing the classic signs of situational depression, most probably related to having to come home to Los Angeles.

You could spend a lot of money on therapy, however the cheaper solution would be to move.

Good luck.
mikeahso411.50
McPurrs290.00
      10-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #24
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

LoL OP is either trolling or the biggest baby Ive ever seen. Man can you imagine working at BMW and having him come in and tell you the software update made his suspension ride harsher?

I literally would die if I had to deal with little kids like the OP.

Live with it or go and buy another car
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Poochie9103.00
      10-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #25
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
LoL OP is either trolling or the biggest baby Ive ever seen. Man can you imagine working at BMW and having him come in and tell you the software update made his suspension ride harsher?

I literally would die if I had to deal with little kids like the OP.

Live with it or go and buy another car
Come on, guys. There really may be something going on here. There are more lines of code in automobiles these days than in some massive enterprise software applications at this point. One little glitch and I have no doubt it could severely affect driving dynamics.

And if it does turn out to be psychosomatic, that's fine too. Hell, I HONESTLY could have sworn that power was restricted on my M2C prior to 1,200 mile break-in service, only to discover that it was purely "power of suggestion." I mean, I was just afraid to go above 5500 RPM and hadn't gone WOT. But I was convinced there was some limiter involved.

So, it's all good.

OP was just asking if anybody knew of anything that might cause a major change. If no, that's cool.

Hell, when it comes time, I'm sure I'll be coming to the forum with a seemingly "ridiculous" question, but only do so because there are lots of incredibly knowledgeable folks on this board. So, let's be helpful where we can. It's not like there are all that many other good sources of info. God help us if we ever go to our own dealerships - they don't know squat!
Appreciate 5
McGary911467.00
Tornado1M1209.00
champignon1565.50
Dabozo624.50
      10-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #26
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Come on, guys. There really may be something going on here. There are more lines of code in automobiles these days than in some massive enterprise software applications at this point. One little glitch and I have no doubt it could severely affect driving dynamics.

And if it does turn out to be psychosomatic, that's fine too. Hell, I HONESTLY could have sworn that power was restricted on my M2C prior to 1,200 mile break-in service, only to discover that it was purely "power of suggestion." I mean, I was just afraid to go above 5500 RPM and hadn't gone WOT. But I was convinced there was some limiter involved.

So, it's all good.

OP was just asking if anybody knew of anything that might cause a major change. If no, that's cool.

Hell, when it comes time, I'm sure I'll be coming to the forum with a seemingly "ridiculous" question, but only do so because there are lots of incredibly knowledgeable folks on this board. So, let's be helpful where we can. It's not like there are all that many other good sources of info. God help us if we ever go to our own dealerships - they don't know squat!
I seldom post here and i have never complained when I have. I mentioned above that my dsc function does not work so there is an issue going on with the car. I have a 2015 911S that works just the way I left it. both were right next to each other, the only difference is the M2 had a service done a few weeks ago. I am sure the dealer will sort it out, thanks for everyone's time, time to put a fork in this one.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #27
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post

So, it's all good.

I mean anything is possible but I work as a SWE and I find it highly unlikely especially if the suspension has no electronic components to it other than base sensors. That said, if SW affected ride in any meaningful way, there is a lot of testing because people's lives are on the line not just harshness.

I can't count the number of times SW that I've written was accused of having bugs from users who either 1) rarely use the software and don't know how it's supposed to work or 2 ) flat out lie because they want it to work another way.

That said we could have a VW scenario here lmao
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #28
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
That said we could have a VW scenario here lmao
WTF-gate

10-29-2018, 01:26 AM   #29
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
much tighter and there’s less dampening. The most notable change is the responsiveness of the motor and shift points. I will check the pressure, out of town so I need to find my friends gauge but this seems like a major firmware update. whatever it is I must have comfort restored, the rest I can live with. the current comfort feels far more twitchy than sport did. why would they do such a thing, did they really think that everyone is 20 that owns this thing? nothing against being 20 but I am 3x+ that age
I'm 3 times that age (and some), female and I just wish they'd tighten up the suspension and responsiveness even more... and make it noisier
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 6
AndrewC198910910.50
Rupes1054.50
      10-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #30
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I think while you were away it was driven by a very tall hairy man with large feet to an undisclosed location (though likely somewhere in Oregon) vacuumed up by a visiting spaceship and injected with alien technology. Then stealthily returned to the dealer by sleigh. Personally I am outraged by this.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #31
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

@Corrine, looking at that list of cars that you've owned, I'm sure that the BMW is a cloud compared to what you're used to.

@M2LA, I have no doubt that something changed. BMW has ruined several of my cars (E34, E92) in the past by updating the software and totally changing the character of the engine. It got to the point where if I brought the car in for service, I'd insist that they not install anything without my prior approval. But if you have a problem, that's usually the first thing that they do.

However, the power of suggestion can also be misleading. How many times does the car feel different and more powerful, after just an oil change? It's in your head. Or you know, for a fact, that the mechanic broke something, even though they didn't do anything other than an oil change?

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #32
M-Supra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2JZ-M5

How long was your car in their possession?

Off the top of my head, here are possible scenarios:

1. They disconnected your battery for an extended period of time, wiping all ECUs clean.

2. They fkd up royally when reloading programming and put wrong data in (ie a different model BMW).

3. They crashed the fk out of your car and put it back together ASAP before you picked it up. (best scenario for you, cuz if they did, I'd sue the shit out of them and accept a brand new BMW of my choice every 2-3 years as settlement).

I can pretty much guarantee it's something coding related, these modern cars have so many nannies that if you piss them off, they get very cantankerous.

Example:

In the middle of replacing my 2018 M2 turbocharger, I had to move my car from blocking path way to dyno in shop. This required powering up the electronics to manually put the DCT in neutral by going under car and pushing up on shift rod...only way it can be done in emergency situations when you can't actually start car due to factory turbo being removed and water and oil lines not connected.

The car did not appreciate being powered up with so many sensors disconnected and critical running parts unaccounted for in ECU boot up.

I did not realize this fact until I got her completely back together with new Dinan turbo and went to bleed electric water pump cooling system (probably the coolest feature ever on a car, turn power on, mat gas pedal for 10 seconds and the electric water pump goes through a 12 minute cycle and bleeds entire system itself).

Bleeding process would not initiate and I assumed that the pump had possibly failed

After scratching my head for a bit, I decided to hook up my laptop to car (I use BootMod3) and pull codes...holy moly, several pages of codes due to above. Cleared all codes, ECU now recognizes she's not in the middle of surgery any longer and magically water pump does its thang.

Car haulz ballz
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #33
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
@Corrine, looking at that list of cars that you've owned, I'm sure that the BMW is a cloud compared to what you're used to.

@M2LA, I have no doubt that something changed. BMW has ruined several of my cars (E34, E92) in the past by updating the software and totally changing the character of the engine. It got to the point where if I brought the car in for service, I'd insist that they not install anything without my prior approval. But if you have a problem, that's usually the first thing that they do.

However, the power of suggestion can also be misleading. How many times does the car feel different and more powerful, after just an oil change? It's in your head. Or you know, for a fact, that the mechanic broke something, even though they didn't do anything other than an oil change?

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Ha, my car always feels faster after a wash! Lower friction due to cleaner surface I guess...
Appreciate 2
Corinne1171.00
      10-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #34
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

you guys

are insane, i have to spend more time here. so I am in email contact with the dealer. I waited for my car, they said programming takes hours and that only my oil/filter were done. it would appear that something broke. they want the car back to check it out. my display is different looking in several areas and all my settings were lost. my car sat for 5 weeks and I used my original key to unlock it and it started up right away. much like a doctor I am not big on taking my car in unless i have to so I am waiting to hear back from them so they can fill me in further on what possibly may have happened, etc. will update shortly. mucho thx
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #35
amrk47
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 F87 M2

if you think LA roads are bad, you should see metro detroit
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #36
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrk47 View Post
if you think LA roads are bad, you should see metro detroit
Or Centralia, Pa.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:56 AM   #37
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quite the thread over losing adaption settings, and coler weather stiffening things up a little lol

By the way OP, you don't need to get a gauge from your friend to check your tire pressure lol. If you don't know what I mean, perhaps you do not remember the screens as well as you thought you did.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #38
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
i'm sorry i just can't with the spelling grammar. and punctuation,
Funny.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0