BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 2NH M Sport Brakes & M Performance Parts Brakes: bigger and ± 16 kg / 35 lbs extra

05-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #45
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
I want more braking power... I do not care about the weight. One extra person in the car has more impact.

The blue brakes are shit at high speed on the Autobahn and on track, the track pads are a hell when you daily and without a money tree in my backyard I will never fit CCB's.

The new brake kit is the best combination for what I need... If I would have kept my M2, I would have fitted a Brembo BBK and I would have the same issue of increased weight. Only positive thing is that I now factory warranty.

MR
Appreciate 4
      05-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #46
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
I want more braking power... I do not care about the weight. One extra person in the car has more impact.

The blue brakes are shit at high speed on the Autobahn and on track, the track pads are a hell when you daily and without a money tree in my backyard I will never fit CCB's.

The new brake kit is the best combination for what I need... If I would have kept my M2, I would have fitted a Brembo BBK and I would have the same issue of increased weight. Only positive thing is that I now factory warranty.

MR
Exactly. I'd end up replacing ccb rotors with iron rotors anyways. The exact way the 2NH brakes come.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
If your are the one that edited my post. Just note the standard M2 rotors on scale are not new. Full thickness rotors are F/11.3kg and R/9.3kg. Changes the numbers, but not by a significant amount.
I optimized your first post + added a couple of additional pictures.
      05-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #48
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Quote:

MR
I don't care that new brake are not shit!
Have you tried blue brake on the track and ccb?? After that you will understand how different is ccb from iron brake! Believe me
2000 dollars for new iron brake is a waste of money. For sure
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #49
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppeM3+123d View Post
Have you tried blue brake on the track and ccb?? After that you will understand how different is ccb from iron brake! Believe me
Have you tried a good set of proper brakes with iron rotors, like a Stoptech Trophy kit. Not comparing any kits, but quit trying to spew this CCB bs. If you want CCB rotors, buy them. They will mount right up with the 2NH package. The blue standard brakes are sh*t, I agree. I guarantee the new brakes are far better, with increased rotor size/thickness, more rotor service and increased in piston count/size. They will provide improved thermals, shorten stopping distance and last longer than the standard sh*t brakes. You want some one-off CCB for M2c for $7k option, f*ck that.
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      05-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #50
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

BlackJetE90 or Artemis,
Where did you find the weights for the 2NH rotors?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #51
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Yes large chunk of weight gain.

If new owners want to save weight and don't mind giving up some increased braking performance. They can switch to the standard brakes. Or if in their country 2NH is not standard, opt out. Personally, 2NH is a must have option.
Why do you think it's must have? If you've run a current M2 with upgraded track pads and fluid was there ever a situation where you felt the current brakes weren't up to the job? If so can you please explain with data why they weren't up to snuff like rotor temps etc?

I've run the "standard" brakes with RBF600 and DTC70's on Slicks/Hoosiers in 130F+ track temps lap after lap at intense braking tracks like COTA with no issues (mid 600 to mid 700 rotor temps) with no fade.

I'd love to not have 35 pounds of extra unsprung weight for no reason, not to mention the extra weight from the 19" wheels and tires you'll be forced to run.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 05-21-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 6
      05-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #52
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am aware of that, but I don't track my BMW as much as my MINI. The M2C is a daily and since I am on mountain passes and autobahns more than on tracks I do not care about the weight.

For the little cost of the upgraded set, they are a no-braining for me. Especially in the way I use them. I don't need CCB's, and never will on a M2C. Not with how I use my car.

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #53
MS81
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

This is a well discussed topic on various Porsche forums. Ceramics are great for the reduced brake dust and weight benefits, but replacement cost are a huge negative, especially if using the car for track days or if one gets damaged!

I’m sure I also read on the GT3 stopping distances are no different between a car with Steel or PCCB, what you do get with PCCB is better consistency due to less brake fade. This can be mitigated with different pads and providing better cooling.

One thing I will say is that the M4 standard steel brakes are great and these being substantially larger will only make them better in terms of stopping power and durability due to better heat dissipation.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #54
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:

MR
News flash if you think oem street pads that come in the new upgraded brakes will be fine for track duty you're in for a surprise.
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #55
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
BlackJetE90 or Artemis,
Where did you find the weights for the 2NH rotors?
The front brakes are straight off the F10 M5. F10 M5 standard front caliper is the same as CCB front caliper on the M4. F10 M5 front rotor is a 400x36mm.

13.870 kg
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=34112284101

The rear brake rotor I used the 380x30mm rotor from the front standard brakes of M4/M2.

11.300 kg
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=34112284809

Using some educated guesses on where they are getting the parts from. They certainly aren't sourcing all new rotors. Even if they did, they each would be within 1kg or less of what I have listed. 30lbs increase at the minimum, but I think 35lbs is right on the money.
Appreciate 2
Tag17928.00
      05-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #56
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
News flash if you think oem street pads that come in the new upgraded brakes will be fine for track duty you're in for a surprise.
Let's wait and see how much track use they can handle... I will find out in two months and I can tell you

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #57
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Mperf will have a more aggressive pad option available for track use.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #58
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
The front brakes are straight off the F10 M5. F10 M5 standard front caliper is the same as CCB front caliper on the M4. F10 M5 front rotor is a 400x36mm.

13.870 kg
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=34112284101

The rear brake rotor I used the 380x30mm rotor from the front standard brakes of M4/M2.

11.300 kg
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=34112284809

Using some educated guesses on where they are getting the parts from. They certainly aren't sourcing all new rotors. Even if they did, they each would be within 1kg or less of what I have listed. 30lbs increase at the minimum, but I think 35lbs is right on the money.
I just did the front and figured out the total area of just the brake rotor without the hat. Then calculated the volume for that vs stock brake and got 15kg. My way isn't 100% accurate either, but if you split the difference, yes you're withing 1kg. Think that's as close as we're going to get until the official tech specs are released.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #59
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I just did the front and figured out the total area of just the brake rotor without the hat. Then calculated the volume for that vs stock brake and got 15kg. My way isn't 100% accurate either, but if you split the difference, yes you're withing 1kg. Think that's as close as we're going to get until the official tech specs are released.
Yeah, the parts should be up on realoem or etk at some point.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #60
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I like this kinda shit, beppeM3+123d:

Rain or no rain, I gave it the beans again in the mountains past weekend (Northern Italy). So yes, I would welcome an uprated brake set:

Name:  ValGardena_19May18.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  MonteBondone_20May18.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  427.7 KB
Whaou17.00
      05-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #61
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Ciao, the biggest problem of "blue brakes" are not the iron rotors, but the bad stock pads. Put good pads, brake hoses and a better brake oil and you'll solve all your problems and you won't need anything more, saving a lot of money compared to CCB with which get forged wheels to reduce unsuspended masses, for example
About CCB, don't forget the bad cold response, bad modulation in city driving and the high costs of spare pads and rotors. For me, CCB are total waste money
Quote:
CUT
Not properly, one person in the car is not unsuspended weight
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #62
Dermator
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Rain or no rain, I gave it the beans again in the mountains past weekend (Northern Italy). So yes, I would welcome an uprated brake set:
Nice pictures! Did your brake fade in the mountains?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #63
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I like this kinda shit, beppeM3+123d:
[PICTURE]
[PICTURES]
For street use once you change pad, blue brakes are fine, in my opinion and my m2 is no limited with 7me. With this brake I already had to leave the pedal to avoid back car jump into mine .
I drove m2 ( not mine for sure ) in Monza. Misano, Imola and Mugello and if you want to full enjoy the car ccb are mandatory...!
I am totally sure that Bmw will make carbon disk retrofit kit for new brake otherwise is no sense increase power to the cars.
My disappointing is for tons of carbon upgrade, roof tail, side mirrors and so on but no carbon on the brake, that for sure will be cheaper way to increase performance and weight!
We will see
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #64
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

It is amusing to see people nitpick every single detail. BMW is offering an oem big brake kit and people are still complaining. Amazing really?! How can someone's reality be either 4/2 piston system or ccb, I WANT NOTHING ELSE IN BETWEEN? Earth shattering news, larger calipers and rotors weigh more. Yes, people actually put big brake kits on cars. There might even be a huge big brake kit market out there, with majors brands involved(could be imagining that). I was just trying to show were some of the new weight could be coming from. The vast majority is coming from performance upgrades, whether is be brakes, engine, cooling, etc.
Appreciate 4
chris7197273.00
LBBDrew336.00
randyt224.50
      05-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #65
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Ok, extra weight. But let's also talk about functionality: how improved is their braking capacity ? Many reported that track guys prefer steel brakes over CCB's (some Porsche guys even taking off the CCB's from their track cars).

Normal brake pads don't squeak/squeal. The optional track race pads do.

Do these new 2NH silver sport brakes / red M Performance brakes come stock with the 'normal' brake pads or do these come with those noisy race pads ?

Quote:

MR
The question is... is stopping capability of the car actually improved...? or is this just keeping up with the extra 150 lbs..

hopefully there are actual improvements to be gained... There seems to be a reason that they are an included " upgrade" in many markets..

Very possibly because they are needed... or.. very possibly so they don't have to print a spec sheet for M2 COMP with a 0-60 stopping distance that is worse than the OG M2..

Quote:
It is amusing to see people nitpick every single detail. BMW is offering an oem big brake kit and people are still complaining. Amazing really?! How can someone's reality be either 4/2 piston system or ccb, I WANT NOTHING ELSE IN BETWEEN? Earth shattering news, larger calipers and rotors weigh more. Yes, people actually put big brake kits on cars. There might even be a huge big brake kit market out there, with majors brands involved(could be imagining that). I was just trying to show were some of the new weight could be coming from. The vast majority is coming from performance upgrades, whether is be brakes, engine, cooling, etc.

thanks for helping define the weight gain in the car... it appears 120 lbs is due to the motor and associated cooling.. .. and another 30 lbs is due to brakes if the 2NH kit is included on the US car as it is in Canada. As stated above... just because BMW is adding these changes.. doesn't mean the absolute performance of the M2 competition will be greatly changed vs the OG M2.

Indeed.. I surely hope that the changes will result in measurable changes in performance, it will be interesting to see instrumented reviews.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-21-2018 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #66
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep

On the f15 the brake set upgrade is not so expensive, what will be the cost of this option??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0