BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Recall Campaign 2016-438 - Rear Sub-Frame Bolts (M2, M3, M4)

10-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #45
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yikes!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #46
5against8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80. 3 pedals.

My car didn't list a recall on BMWs website, but maybe it hasn't been updated yet?
      10-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #47
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 (LBB+DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
FWIW...MY2017, week 32, 1200 mile service today. They said I was not part of the rear diff or subframe bolt issue and that the soda can crunch noise was rock in the brake heat/dust shield.
I've heard the same noise on mine a couple times now. First time it freaked me out, then I looked online and I saw that this was a regular thing where rocks would get lodged in between the heat shield.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #48
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

So no M3's?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #49
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
So no M3's?
M2, M3 and M4 (incl. vert) all included.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #50
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfootdoc View Post
So while no soda can sound I did have some odd jerking with my MY 16 DCT. It was like it was hunting for a gear at low speed. I had slowed to a stop sign in my hospital parking lot and went to accelerate and it was like it jerked/lurched a couple times then no problem. Has happened on one other occasion. Thoughts?
I had this happen for the first time this week. Obviously I can't speak for you, but it was definitely not this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
Typical DCT behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Normal. Remember it is an automated manual and not an auto trans. I find that the DCT will lug just like a manual would at times. Once your moving the clutch pack is locked just like a clutch on a manual. If I go into second and real low speed it will rock some just like my manual cars.
It was definitely a problem (assume software-related). I was in first (in manual mode) cresting a steep driveway entrance that immediately turns into a downhill into a parking lot (probably 10 feet of decline). I never shifted gears and was between 5-10 mph as the driveway was leveling out to flat ground (parking lot). The car suddenly and very unexpectedly jerked and started about three times. It felt like someone put the car in neutral, then slotted first again without a clutch, then cycled a couple times. As azfootdoc described, it was like the car couldn't decide if it should be in neutral or first and as it was shifting, it was as if the card did not have a clutch. It's only happened once but was very jarring.
M Performance Steering Wheel | CF Rear Spoiler | Gloss Black Grilles & Side Gills
Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #51
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
No just MY16 for now, so a small number of the total cars so far.

Something must've gone down during production...
That's why i dont buy 2nd year production cars.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #52
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
M2, M3 and M4 (incl. vert) all included.
Just checked with the dealerships service department. No open recalls on my car. 2015 MY M3, production 02.19.2015.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #53
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325i Premium | Sport

Quote:
Yesterday I received the letter below in the mail regarding a new recall campaign for the M2. This has to do with the rear sub-frame bolts, which may not have been installed correctly.

After discussion with my guys, this is unrelated to the rear diff recall and the rear diff bolts that were causing some delays. It is an entirely new issue. According to them, all the MY16's will need to have these replaced and some MY17's.

The issue seems to be way more serious than the rear diff, as per the highlighted paragraphs.

Also note the noise from rear axle description, which seems to be what a lot of folks are hearing, but I'm not sure it if it is the "soda can crunch" or not. I myself have not experienced it.

This is the second time in the 3 months I've owned the car that it has to go in for a recall, very disappointing coming from BMW.
You should be very satisfied with BMW. No car is perfect and If the manufacture knows something was faulty or not to par with quality standards, then good for BMW for issuing a voluntary recall.

I wish on the BMW E46 they would have issued a recall on the cheap plastic xenon headlights, but no I was stuck to fix that myself.

Long story short, if multiple people are not reported dead due directly to the same faulty part BMW doesn't have to do anything. So at least they are doing something about these faulty parts
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #54
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702 View Post
You should be very satisfied with BMW. No car is perfect and If the manufacture knows something was faulty or not to par with quality standards, then good for BMW for issuing a voluntary recall.

I wish on the BMW E46 they would have issued a recall on the cheap plastic xenon headlights, but no I was stuck to fix that myself.

Long story short, if multiple people are not reported dead due directly to the same faulty part BMW doesn't have to do anything. So at least they are doing something about these faulty parts
I get where you are coming from, but absolutely disagree with the attitude.

I shouldn't be happy, they sold a faulty product. If this was anything else - a blender, a pressure washer, a car lift, etc. - nobody would be happy if the product came out of the box broken, needing parts to be repaired right away.

Just because we are all BMW fanboys it doesn't excuse them from putting out a quality product. Things like this do not reflect well on the brand as a whole, and can hamper future sales or repeat customers.

So yes, BMW fucked up and is fixing it (and it's not voluntary, it's mandatory) but that doesn't excuse them from making these huge mistakes in the first place, nor does it excuse its customers from being upset at how the issue is being handled (I've detailed my M2 recall saga before, won't go into it here).
Appreciate 4
flyaway140.50
6ixSpd5996.50
Bolos21.00
      10-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #55
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Quote:
No just MY16 for now, so a small number of the total cars so far.

Something must've gone down during production...
That's why i dont buy 2nd year production cars.
HEA M2 for the win.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #56
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:

I shouldn't be happy, they sold a faulty product. If this was anything else - a blender, a pressure washer, a car lift, etc. - nobody would be happy if the product came out of the box broken, needing parts to be repaired right away.

Just because we are all BMW fanboys it doesn't excuse them from putting out a quality product. Things like this do not reflect well on the brand as a whole, and can hamper future sales or repeat customers.

So yes, BMW fucked up and is fixing it (and it's not voluntary, it's mandatory) but that doesn't excuse them from making these huge mistakes in the first place, nor does it excuse its customers from being upset at how the issue is being handled (I've detailed my M2 recall saga before, won't go into it here).
Absolutely a case of misdirected blame/rage.

BMW more than likely didn't create the bad parts in the M2 diff nor did they make the parts for the subframe and they aren't any more "
To blame" than the dozen and a half manufacturers that did their due diligence in selecting takata to make airbags for them.

BMW did create a quality product, however the parts with which it was created appeared to have failed. That doesn't make the M2 itself not a quality product. Besides, it's still under warranty.

This won't be the last M car that has recalls on it and it certainly isn't the first.

The e46 M3 for example had faulty oil pumps and BMW even extended the warranty on that part to 100k. I sure don't hear a lot of people talking about how that wasn't a quality product

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #57
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
What if anything does this say about those who switched from rubber subframe bushings to solid in other cars such as the E90, E92, and E93? Will an issue arise?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #58
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

First year all-new models...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #59
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

M2 going in Friday

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #60
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely a case of misdirected blame/rage.

BMW more than likely didn't create the bad parts in the M2 diff nor did they make the parts for the subframe and they aren't any more "
To blame" than the dozen and a half manufacturers that did their due diligence in selecting takata to make airbags for them.

BMW did create a quality product, however the parts with which it was created appeared to have failed. That doesn't make the M2 itself not a quality product. Besides, it's still under warranty.

This won't be the last M car that has recalls on it and it certainly isn't the first.

The e46 M3 for example had faulty oil pumps and BMW even extended the warranty on that part to 100k. I sure don't hear a lot of people talking about how that wasn't a quality product

Because the e46 drove so well, nobody cared..the f8x though...

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 1
JDubz69.00
      10-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #61
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick View Post
I was just at my dealer and asked. He said that it was for my16 and about 40 cars from my17. He didn't know yet if my car was included. I was week 30 (July 25) build my17 vin ending V786360. I figure my car will ultimately be included.
That's the week mine was built. I'm hearing all sorts of crazy noises and feeling strange vibrations from the rear of the car.
1200 mile service in a week.
Also, my frickin horn doesn't work-lol
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #62
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfootdoc View Post
So while no soda can sound I did have some odd jerking with my MY 16 DCT. It was like it was hunting for a gear at low speed. I had slowed to a stop sign in my hospital parking lot and went to accelerate and it was like it jerked/lurched a couple times then no problem. Has happened on one other occasion. Thoughts?
Yep - mine too! Happens especially when slowing and downshifting from 2nd to 1st in drive. Not so much when using paddles?!?!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #63
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 (M3)

I have a 2016 M3. Just checked the recall search on bmwusa.com (google bmw recall if you don't have the link) and it said that my car is good--no open recalls. So maybe not all 2016M3s?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:20 PM   #64
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
Mine was built in February but there's no recall on it as of yet.
Same here, Feb build. Checked my VIN on BMW USA and it notes 'There are no open recalls for your vehicle'. It also says 'Database last updated on October 25, 2016'.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #65
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Yiikes!
      10-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #66
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

This is the 3rd generation of sub-frame bolt issues on M3s, with the E46 and E92 known for bolts shearing. Seriously, does this company not learn from past mistakes?
Appreciate 0