BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Breaking in (not smashing windows) / maintenance / coding (who will do it?)

07-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Breaking in (not smashing windows) / maintenance / coding (who will do it?)

My M2 won’t arrive until the end of September, but I’m beginning to think about what I need to do to break it in properly, maintenance after the break-in period, and some coding I definitely want to get done as soon as possible like getting that damn ASD (active sound design – that stupid cabin exhaust noise enhancement) turned off. Anyway, some of you already have your cars so you already have or will soon be dealing with these issues. I, for one, would like advice about:

(1) driving limits for break in period (1200 miles) – I’m old school so I was taught to keep the revs down and don’t drive long distances at the same RPM (like a 500 mile road trip at 80 MPH on cruise control). What do others do to safely break in their M car?

(2) maintenance – I know that the dealer changes the engine oil & filter at 1200 miles and there are regularly scheduled (but the consensus is, too infrequent) oil changes under the maintenance program, but I also have heard that M maintenance intervals for fluids, spark plugs, and possibly other things are different from other models. Should we simply assume that the same advice for the new M3 / M4 applies to the M2?
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1007985

With my 135is, I followed Mike Miller’s old school maintenance advice,
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1197431
but it doesn’t deal much with M cars.

So, what is your collective advice about maintenance for the M2? I know that is a loaded question because some will think “just do what BMW recommends” and others will believe (as I do) that factory-recommended maintenance intervals are underwhelming. I think opinions across that spectrum will still be helpful to the rest of us who are new to M ownership.

(3) There are already some terrific posts here and elsewhere about coding, how to do it and what functions some of you have already had recoded.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=coding

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=631884

What isn’t in those posts and I’d like to know is - who is able and willing to do coding on others’ cars? I’m a techno-dinosaur, so I’m not even going to try coding my car myself. I’ve read somewhere about having the car recoded remotely (???), but that sounds risky to me because if something goes wrong while the car is being recoded… well, I’d rather drive my car to someone reasonably close by and happy to pay to have it done by someone who is willing and able to do it. BTW, I live in Connecticut; anyone in CT or southern MA willing to code someone’s car? Who else in what other locations across the country? Or am I out to lunch on this one?
      07-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

This topic section might help with break in...sorry if u already visited it. I too am curious about coding etc.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=653
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Oh, I hate it when I ask a question to which there is already a thread answering.
Thanks for the link.
      07-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
(1) driving limits for break in period (1200 miles) – I’m old school so I was taught to keep the revs down and don’t drive long distances at the same RPM (like a 500 mile road trip at 80 MPH on cruise control). What do others do to safely break in their M car?
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1221188
      07-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Oh, I hate it when I ask a question to which there is already a thread answering.
Thanks for the link.
been there, done that lol
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Has anyone heard the exhaust note in the cabin? Is it terrible or is it just the principle of the thing?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Has anyone heard the exhaust note in the cabin? Is it terrible or is it just the principle of the thing?
I have an F80 M3 with an AWE Non Resonated Exhaust and have ASD turned off.

The M2 seemed to be much louder in cabin with the ASD on. Bothered me slightly when the valves were open but not at all with the valves closed.

Has anyone heard from if the M2 Module is in the same location (roughly) as the M3/M4?
Appreciate 0