BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Clearbra Seam Locations

06-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #23
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
These are the seams that run away from the kidney grills.
Yea, that is definitely no good. My hood and fenders, you can't even tell there is film on it, as the seams are tucked. I actually showed my car to someone the other day and they were like "this has film on it" and then I showed them my roof and rear fenders where you can actually see seams by design (I did the front part of the roof and the rear fenders a few inches above what the factory film would have covered). Make sure you research the installer as mine was widely considered the best in the area and worked on a ton of exotics and is extremely well known for work on Porsches and by the Porsche community.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 01:46 AM   #24
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Wow that is a terrible install. I would take it back for sure and have the dealer pay for a good installer to do a proper install. From what I can tell looks like a bulk install and you might have the possibility of cut paint

Hope for the best on this one. I personally installed the XPEL on the Active Autowerke M2 and the bumper kit only has a seam where the lower lip pieces are (4 pieces total for the front bumper). Any other install should be similar and not seamed where they did your car
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #25
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Mine goes in tomorrow for an install on the front bumper, i really hope it doesn't turn out like that...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 05:35 AM   #26
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI
Quote:
That's a really bad install job...there's no way it should look like that. I'd take it back and get them to redo it
Wow agree that is no bueno. They appear to be freehand cut/ irregular too. Hope they take care of replacing it with a better seamless and wrapped edges install.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #27
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Mine goes in tomorrow for an install on the front bumper, i really hope it doesn't turn out like that...
You might want to do a little research and think about Xpel first. I ignored advice here and let the dealer install their normal product. I think this bumper is just too detailed and complicated. On my White car all those seams and edges show dark dust like crazy. This is a really hard bumper to do.

Situation Update: Dealer is giving me a loaner today and removing this product. Then they are having the out of area Xpel guy drive in on Saturday to do a seamless install at no charge to me.

They also offered to cover 1/2 of the $700 upgrade fee to go with Full Hood and Full Fender coverage. Given the amount of dust these edges show I'm going to talk the Xpel guy to try and get most of the edges tucked around as well. What I have now is only 1/4 way up the hood.

So far the dealer has handled the issue exceptionally well. I hope they loan me an M5 with a Gas Card this AM when I drop the car off.
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #28
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
You might want to do a little research and think about Xpel first. I ignored advice here and let the dealer install their normal product. I think this bumper is just too detailed and complicated. On my White car all those seams and edges show dark dust like crazy. This is a really hard bumper to do.

Situation Update: Dealer is giving me a loaner today and removing this product. Then they are having the out of area Xpel guy drive in on Saturday to do a seamless install at no charge to me.

They also offered to cover 1/2 of the $700 upgrade fee to go with Full Hood and Full Fender coverage. Given the amount of dust these edges show I'm going to talk the Xpel guy to try and get most of the edges tucked around as well. What I have now is only 1/4 way up the hood.

So far the dealer has handled the issue exceptionally well. I hope they loan me an M5 with a Gas Card this AM when I drop the car off.
Silver lining! I'm glad that you are getting this fixed and the dealer is rectifying everything. If you get an M5 loaner, that would be sick, but I highly doubt it, haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #29
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Great! Im glad they were able to take care of you, and now you will have a great product protecting your new ride! Did they mention who was coming to install the XPEL?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #30
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Even when there is "cut" or "seam" there should not be a gap, especially one like that. Maybe if they used a pattern.

I know when the guys did my C32 they started w/one single sheet and b/c of the compound curves they had to make cuts and seams but no gaps like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #31
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
This has zero to do w/the product, XPEL, 3M whatever. This is an installation issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #32
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

I'm rolling in 228i for 2 days and they didn't even laugh at my M5 request. At least it's got the manual seats I've been begging for.

Whatever film you go with it should be precut and not trimmed out on the car.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #33
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Just been to check out my car getting the PPF installed on the front bumper, happy to say the pattern used is the same as the xpel pattern so only minimal seams in non prominent areas.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #34
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just been to check out my car getting the PPF installed on the front bumper, happy to say the pattern used is the same as the xpel pattern so only minimal seams in non prominent areas.
That's great. So it was pre-cut on a machine and then placed on the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #35
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Most of our installers use a plotter that cuts the film off a bulk roll of film, and then it is applied to the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #36
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes mate, mine was all on one roll seeing it was just the bumper & headlights, installer rolled it out and all the pieces were pre-cut and ready to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #37
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes mate, mine was all on one roll seeing it was just the bumper & headlights, installer rolled it out and all the pieces were pre-cut and ready to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #38
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Oh this is much better now!

We've got full Xpel fenders and hood now

Weird thing is they pulled the 3m stuff off the mirrors, trunk lip, and door edges and it didn't get any Xpel! Would have liked that extra stuff there instead of nothing.

Overall they did a great job fixing this and I've got no complaints.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #39
winterrogue_F87
Queen of Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW 228xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPEL View Post
Ahh, okay. Sorry, read it the wrong way the first time around. Patterns will vary depending on company/manufacture, XPEL patterns are some of the best fitting pre-cut kits without the unnecessary seams. We hope they're able to take care of you.
I'm not happy at all with that not a good job
      06-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #40
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87queen View Post
I'm not happy at all with that not a good job
They fixed it. I've got Xpel on the full hood, fenders, and front bumper now at no additional cost One email and it was all taken care of by the service manager and they even offered to bring out a loaner car and exchange it at my office so I wouldn't be bothered with the drive to the dealership.

Is this how the other 1% lives?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 03:32 AM   #41
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Great to see the dealer do the right thing. Few dealers have guys that do these jobs well, the smart ones outsource to someone with the expertise but your's clearly didn't. They got smart the second time, the original job was the worst I have ever seen by an alleged pro. You ended up getting a better product and more coverage so you win.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #42
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Great to see the dealer do the right thing. Few dealers have guys that do these jobs well, the smart ones outsource to someone with the expertise but your's clearly didn't. They got smart the second time, the original job was the worst I have ever seen by an alleged pro. You ended up getting a better product and more coverage so you win.
It was pretty F'ng bad. The service manager who handled it apologized about 10 times and said it should never have left the shop that way. I took a deep breath and let them take care of it and they did.

This Xpel film seems way thinker and somehow forms around curves then seems to cure or something. It doesn't seem like just another film.

Last edited by 3tekcorps; 07-15-2016 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:05 AM   #43
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

That doesn't look right regardless of the product. Demand it be removed and reapplied properly!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:39 AM   #44
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk09 View Post
That doesn't look right regardless of the product. Demand it be removed and reapplied properly!
Read 3 posts above yours, he's got it replaced.
Appreciate 0