BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2016 Mercedes A45 AMG S With 400 HP?

06-26-2015, 05:27 AM   #45
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
No manual = already off my list.
Same here.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #46
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

On track M2 will destroy them
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #47
BlueRoundel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743
Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
I've driven a CLA45 for longer than most on a 'test drive' and never once did I feel as though the transmission was lacking in any real capacity; I don't exactly understand what some of these 'issues' are? It wasn't clunky, it never had an issue finding a gear, it snapped my neck back and the shifts were crisp. Furthermore, I've driven an M3 with DCT (at least 3-4+ times) and appreciated the speed, but it wasn't exactly anything that left me stunned.

I'm impressed that Merc is updating the CLA45 AMG, I know this is speaking to the A45, but I'm confident the CLA will see it as well. The M2 will truly have its work cut out for itself and I'm eager to see how it performs just as much as anyone else.

The one thing both of these cars will share in common is there'll be a lot of hurt feelings when a $48k GT350 runs away from an M2 or CLA45 AMG and sounds great doing it.
A lot of us only had access to the CLA45 for 45 minutes or so. That Dual Clutch was a disaster. Pull the paddle, wait for (what feels like an eternity) probably .5 seconds then it slips into the next gear. By slipping in I'm refering to it not directly engaging, but instead acting like a noob slipping the clutch while learning stick. It was so bad I thought the one they gave me to test was defective. Tried a second one and same thing. Dual clutch boxes are awesome, this one was shocking. Not on a good way.

Drove these back to back with an auto M235i and the ZF is a masterpiece vs this box.

Maybe they improved it since then, but in July last year it was indescribably bad.
Generally the upshift isn't bad, quite quick gear changes in fact. But the downshifting in the A/CLA 45 was just slow and hesitant, so every time when you downshift into a corner you're left pressing on the pedal shifter earlier, anticipate that downshift.

Heard it has something to do with Merc purposely making it laggier than conventional DCT, to prevent the gearbox from destroy ing itself (not too sure where I read this)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #48
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3MC, 2019 Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRoundel
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
I've driven a CLA45 for longer than most on a 'test drive' and never once did I feel as though the transmission was lacking in any real capacity; I don't exactly understand what some of these 'issues' are? It wasn't clunky, it never had an issue finding a gear, it snapped my neck back and the shifts were crisp. Furthermore, I've driven an M3 with DCT (at least 3-4+ times) and appreciated the speed, but it wasn't exactly anything that left me stunned.

I'm impressed that Merc is updating the CLA45 AMG, I know this is speaking to the A45, but I'm confident the CLA will see it as well. The M2 will truly have its work cut out for itself and I'm eager to see how it performs just as much as anyone else.

The one thing both of these cars will share in common is there'll be a lot of hurt feelings when a $48k GT350 runs away from an M2 or CLA45 AMG and sounds great doing it.
A lot of us only had access to the CLA45 for 45 minutes or so. That Dual Clutch was a disaster. Pull the paddle, wait for (what feels like an eternity) probably .5 seconds then it slips into the next gear. By slipping in I'm refering to it not directly engaging, but instead acting like a noob slipping the clutch while learning stick. It was so bad I thought the one they gave me to test was defective. Tried a second one and same thing. Dual clutch boxes are awesome, this one was shocking. Not on a good way.

Drove these back to back with an auto M235i and the ZF is a masterpiece vs this box.

Maybe they improved it since then, but in July last year it was indescribably bad.
Generally the upshift isn't bad, quite quick gear changes in fact. But the downshifting in the A/CLA 45 was just slow and hesitant, so every time when you downshift into a corner you're left pressing on the pedal shifter earlier, anticipate that downshift.

Heard it has something to do with Merc purposely making it lggier than conventional DCT, to prevent the gearbox from destroy ing itself (not too sure where I read this)
Quite the opposite for me. Downshifts are very snappy but upshifts can occasionally lag.

I'm guessing they got it right now though.

http://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-b...45_amg_4matic/
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #49
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney View Post
Quite the opposite for me. Downshifts are very snappy but upshifts can occasionally lag.

I'll test one again soon then, but previously it was embarrassing. I had it in sport and "snappy" is not a word I would use. I would have used "slow witted" or "1970's GM automatic simulation".
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 01:11 AM   #50
BlueRoundel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney

Was this in sports manual mode? The last time I test drove the car was April last year, so wouldn't be surprised at all if the software has been tweaked and improved since. I was actually considering the 45 AMG over M235i and the 3er, but ultimately I didn't follow through with it because I didn't quite like the gear box and it was a 12 month wait for the car.

380hp from a 2 litre is just impressive and bonkers from an engineering standpoint. But you'd have to wonder about how reliable it is. That much power from a small engine, something has to give.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 04:04 AM   #51
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post

Hmm... Would it be possible the Merc DTC is only that bad on the CLA45? Cause I remember in June last year cross-shopping between the A45 AMG and Golf R the gear boxes were comparable (I still preferred the Golf though)...
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 04:14 AM   #52
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney View Post

http://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-b...45_amg_4matic/" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.netcarsho...mg_4matic/</a>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...matic/</a></a>" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...c/</a></a></a>
I'll test one again soon then, but previously it was embarrassing. I had it in sport and "snappy" is not a word I would use. I would have used "slow witted" or "1970's GM automatic simulation".
I usually only drive in M mode with ESP sport on which will split TQ 50/50. I really enjoy the 45 especially with a tune!

S mode is ok but they needed an S+ which is apparently coming for 16. Sounds like some decent changes for the DCT.

Lower ratios: The AMG SPEEDSHIFT DCT 7-speed sport transmission

Another dominant factor in the agile and dynamic character of the power transfer is the AMG SPEEDSHIFT DCT 7-speed sport transmission. Thanks to the now shorter transmission ratios in 3rd to 7th gear, the driver experiences even more dynamic acceleration in all speed ranges. Together with optimised response and shift times, the closer ratio spread ensures better transitions when upshifting.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 04:26 AM   #53
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post

Hmm... Would it be possible the Merc DTC is only that bad on the CLA45? Cause I remember in June last year cross-shopping between the A45 AMG and Golf R the gear boxes were comparable (I still preferred the Golf though)...
I think it comes down to what software update you have. I've heard complaints from A\CLA\GLA45 owners.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #54
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I just drove the merc and the trans sucks around town. Brand new 15.
      06-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #55
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Where were you M2? A friend was looking for you at Goodwood. He wanted to know if you wanted to come out and play.
[u2b]
[/u2b]
Appreciate 0