BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW HAS kit or M Performance coilovers

02-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
RIP_MKVI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C / 2023 iX50

KW HAS kit or M Performance coilovers

I am trying to decide what suspension mods should I get, could you share some experience and advise? My main goals are:
  • - Reduce the wheel gap. I am also getting a set of new wheels with 265/295 PS4S tires. Maybe that can help reducing the gap a little too?
  • - Do not want to suffer any comfort level. The stock suspension is stiff and bumpy enough for me.
  • - Do not want to lower the car too much. I have a very unforgiven drive way. With stock height, I must maneuver to avoid scrapping the front. Not sure how much room I have to lower the car.
  • - Improve handling.
I am considering KW HAS kit or M Performance coilovers. Personally, I have always installed coilovers on my previous cars. But I don’t track the car and only do the occasional autocross, and I have never adjusted the coilover settings once I put them on. So I feel like the stiffness and damping adjustability functions of coilover is a waste to me.

I never dealt with lowering springs before and heard mixed reviews about them. KW HAS kit seems to be a solid product with height adjustability and I can save some cash if I go this route. But I am not sure about the ride quality and comfort level compare to stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

I wouldn't throw money at anything which uses the stock dampers personally, the opportunity cost is very high for something with no tangible performance benefits. Either leave the suspension as is or go for proper coil overs. TC Kline, M Performance, Ohlins, KWv3, Bilstein B16 should all have good street manners with far more sophisticated damping.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:46 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

MSS HAS kit appears to be a tad more sophisticated than KW HAS...

Evolve have just fitted a set to STARLA, their OG M2, which was running on Billy B16 c/overs IIRC.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1694399

Message Imran @ Evolve directly as he's active on this forum.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:43 AM   #4
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP_MKVI View Post
I am trying to decide what suspension mods should I get, could you share some experience and advise? My main goals are:
  • - Reduce the wheel gap. I am also getting a set of new wheels with 265/295 PS4S tires. Maybe that can help reducing the gap a little too?
Assume you are going to stick with a 35 profile tyre on the front? I.e. 265/35/19 vs OEM 245/35/19? If you do this you gain 7mm sidewall height. This will reduce your wheel gap by 7mm and at the same time, increase your ground clearance by 7mm. This will then enable you to lower the car by 7mm and still have the original ground clearance to get in and out of your driveway. Now you have a 14mm reduction in wheel gap. Are you still with me here? On the front, this works out very well in your favour.

At the back, most people going for a 295 will go down to a 30 profile. I.e. 295/30/19 vs OEM 265/35/19. This will lose you 5mm sidewall height. This increases your wheel gap and reduces your ground clearance. The opposite to what you want.

The alternative for a 295 on the rear is to keep a 35 profile which gives a 10mm gain in sidewall height. However, a) You may run into rubbing problems - particularly if you lower it, and b) It may not be a roadworthy modification depending on your country's rules. It isn't legal in Australia.

With your driveway requirements in mind, I'd go for a 285/35/19 on the back. This offers exactly the same advantages as the 265/35 on the front with regard to wheel gap and ground clearance. Do this first and see if you like it. It might save you from wasting money on lowering the car. You'll reduce your wheel gap, maintain your ride comfort and make getting into and out of the driveway easier.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
RIP_MKVI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Assume you are going to stick with a 35 profile tyre on the front? I.e. 265/35/19 vs OEM 245/35/19? If you do this you gain 7mm sidewall height. This will reduce your wheel gap by 7mm and at the same time, increase your ground clearance by 7mm. This will then enable you to lower the car by 7mm and still have the original ground clearance to get in and out of your driveway. Now you have a 14mm reduction in wheel gap. Are you still with me here? On the front, this works out very well in your favour.
Thanks for the insight. definitely will consider this option. one question about the front though. If I upsize to 295 and keep the profile the same at 35, this will increase the wheel diameter as a whole, won't that make the speedometer reading to be off?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
RIP_MKVI
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. definitely will consider this option. one question about the front though. If I upsize to 295 and keep the profile the same at 35, this will increase the wheel diameter as a whole, won't that make the speedometer reading to be off?
Also I am not sure if 265/35/19 can fit in M2C without rubbing...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
  • - Do not want to suffer any comfort level. The stock suspension is stiff and bumpy enough for me.
  • - Do not want to lower the car too much. I have a very unforgiven drive way. With stock height, I must maneuver to avoid scrapping the front. Not sure how much room I have to lower the car.
  • - Improve handling.
I am considering KW HAS kit or M Performance coilovers. Personally, I have always installed coilovers on my previous cars. But I don’t track the car and only do the occasional autocross, and I have never adjusted the coilover settings once I put them on. So I feel like the stiffness and damping adjustability functions of coilover is a waste to me.

I never dealt with lowering springs before and heard mixed reviews about them. KW HAS kit seems to be a solid product with height adjustability and I can save some cash if I go this route. But I am not sure about the ride quality and comfort level compare to stock suspension.
Have you already ordered the wheels are tires and, if so, what are the exact specs?

Given all variables in your list, I think you may to have to make some compromises and/or prioritize some things over others

Sounds to me like comfort level and ride height are the top priorities

My first suggestion would be 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 tires (assuming factory or near factory spec wheels)

They will be a little bit more comfortable, reduce the wheel gap and increase ground clearance

265/35/19s will almost certainly rub up front

18" wheels and tires are not an option, unless you're willing to change your brakes

Recommending the right suspension is challenging especially given the comfort and ride height considerations

You won't be tracking the car and it sounds like you won't be tinkering much if at all with the different adjustments offered by coilovers

Many coilovers on the market will lower the car a significant amount even at their minimum drop settings and you will likely find most to be too stiff unless you're willing to experiment with different spring rates, valving and compression/rebound settings

Many also require require camber plates and/or spherical mounts which could further complicate your NVH concerns

In any case, some possibilities worth looking into

MSS/Bilstein combination

+ Supposedly allows for stock or near stock ride height
+ Can use stock rubber strut mounts
+ No need to fiddle with compression/rebound settings
? New to market, so little if any real world feedback out there

M Performance Coilovers

+ Can be setup with a only a minor drop (as little as 0-5 mm below stock)
+ Can use stock rubber strut mounts
+ BMW approved
? Slightly stiffer than stock out of the box, but might be acceptable to you with appropriate compression/rebound settings

TC Kline Coilovers

+ Supposedly allows for stock or near stock ride height
+ Supposedly one of the more comfortable coilover options with the right spring rates and adjustments
? Uses a spherical mount camber plate

Otherwise, I think you'll need to look into more expensive higher end options
Appreciate 0