BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Spent a few hours with a 718 Cayman GTS

10-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

Spent a few hours with a 718 Cayman GTS

Today my pal brought his 781 Cayman GTS over for me to check out. I took it for a spin on my neighborhood back roads, hit the highway for a bit, and drove into town and back.
Impressions:
- The Cayman has more balance and takes curves better than the M2. Definitely! It’s quite amazing how it feels more planted and yet lighter than the M2. That chassis is wonderful!
- It sits way lower and I kept ‘falling’ into the driver’s seat.
- The difference between normal and sports mode is wider than that between comfort and sports on the M2 - though I think the M2 has a wider sports vs sports plus difference.
- The Cayman steering has way more feedback but I think they are almost equally precise at placing the front wheels
- The seats are nice and quite different - but I like the M2 seats as well
- M2 dials and dash are easier to read – especially now that I’m used to a higher screen for the center console
- The Cayman looks nicer than the M2 side by side. That lower stance helps and it’s definitely the sportier looking vehicle
- The sports response button in the sports chrono package is an absolute blast. (I could get the car for that button alone).
- And now to the elephant in the room – the exhaust sound. First, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be. Second, it can get really loud. Way louder than the M2. In fact, when my friend arrived at night and waited in idle for me to come get him, the exhaust sound was all over the neighborhood. It gets really loud in sports. But the M2 sound is better. More sonorous, deeper, purposeful, and better attuned to whatever the engine/car is doing at the time. After a while the Cayman sound actually started to stress me out and I just left it in normal (quieter) mode. I’ve never experienced that in the M2. Porsche needs to improve that sound. Really!

Final take way:
There are two main regrets I’ve had when it comes to personal automobiles. One was not buying an absolutely clean 10k mile 2003 540i that was on sale for 15k a few years ago. Still regret that. Second was wishing I had grabbed a 981 Cayman before the 6 cylinder engine gave way to the four. These regrets partly informed my acting quickly to get an OG M2 after I read about the upcoming competition with the engine change, and EOP for the OG. I really wanted a great sounding, 6 cylinder, manual transmission, sub 5 0-60 BMW for keeps - and was fortunate enough to get one. However, I’ve always wondered whether a base Cayman wouldn’t have been a better choice.

I think I now have my answer.

I won’t trade my car for a Cayman. At least not the 718 generation. Not even the GTS. Objectively the Cayman is the better car, but for what I want a car of this class to do for me, the M2 is better. The nearest track to where I live is hours away so my main means of enjoying the car consists of Sunday morning drives along my favorite back roads with an occasional highway blast. The M2 fees better than the Cayman for this. I think it’s because within that performance range, the M2 comes across as having its parts work more harmoniously than the Cayman – the power delivery, acceleration, even the slight lean in (had to look hard for lean in the Cayman), and sound – all just feel better matched to each other and to the car as a whole. Driving the Cayman actually made me appreciate more - how great the M2 is as a daily driver.

I'll be keeping my M2 long term. Perhaps I'll get a 2019 Miata club if I can score a great deal, and hopefully one day, add a 911 T - before they all lose the manual, become electrified, and neutered with autonomous driving.

I really think the M2 will end up being a classic.
Cheers.
Appreciate 12
lukej387.00
///M TOWN13117.00
Dblaz43.50
Powaup1252.00
termigni1080.00
ChrisM41525.00
paliknight2186.50
KO764.50
      10-07-2018, 01:59 AM   #2
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Very good read. I drove the GTS a fe days ago and can agree with about everything you said. The gauges suck and are very hard to read. But it's a very fun car over all as well as LOUD.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I also spent a few hours with a GTS...

Last night, after reading you post, I went to porsche.com, configured one how I'd like it, and drooled over it until I fell asleep. They're definitely cool looking cars, but if I were to get a Porsche I'd get a 911. The 718 is too expensive for what it is. Especially compared to the M2.
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN13117.00
Powaup1252.00
      10-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #4
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

I too have been looking at the Cayman and I did even before I bought the M2. For me, as a mountain biker, the Cayman has one significant drawback...no trunk to load my bike. With the M2 I can fold down the seats, take the wheels off my bike and load it up.

The M2 is one of the very few cars that I think can compete with the Cayman. It's not as light, doesn't handle quite as well, but it is a better daily driver in my opinion. I also bought the M2 to head out of town on some fairly long drives. The few people that I know that own Caymans have told me that the motor noise does become difficult to tolerate after about 4 hours.

The more time I spend with the M2 also leads me to believe that it is the better looking car. The menacing look of the LBB with black trim and wheels is just a great combo. I've done a few 1000 mile trips on the M2 now and it is a remarkably comfortable car to spend time in.

I can really appreciate that BMW has bucked the trend of making the M2 a boring car. This car is just the right size and has the right amount of attitude. Think about how great the Toyota 86 would be with 350hp.

It's natural for the M2 buyer to lust over the Cayman, it is the next logical progression.
Appreciate 4
      10-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydert View Post
I won’t trade my car for a Cayman. At least not the 718 generation. Not even the GTS.
I'll be keeping my M2 long term. Perhaps I'll get a 2019 Miata club if I can score a great deal, and hopefully one day, add a 911 T - before they all lose the manual, become electrified, and neutered with autonomous driving.
I agree with your comparison points - my pops has a Cayman S & yea, you really do FALL into the seats (not a bad thing), the steering is sharp, sports button is fun, exhaust is louder tho M2 sound is better, etc.

I also could have gone for a base Cayman but I agree, for me, too, the M2 was a better choice, no regrets. I, too, am ALSO thinking about adding a 2019 (or later) Miata Club to replace my '99 when it dies, AND thinking about a 911 T as well in the future - for same reasons, before the stick dies or, worse, the electric singularity arrives.

Interesting post - pretty much the exact same thoughts as I have all around!
      10-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I've never been drawn to the Cayman, something about the look just never hit me right. Hard to put my finger on it, but visually it's like the front of one car and the back of a different car got put together, and it's just never grown on me. Much prefer the lines and shape of the 911. That said, we saw this video recently and I do like this particular color and trim combo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4UX-0s1jy4&t=235s

Problem is, this car is $94K and even the happy new owner in the video is surprised by some equipment and features it doesn't have. I know it's considered a natural competitor for the M2, but the price difference between my car and this car is the price of a brand new Miata Club. The gap is just huge between two cars that pretty much everyone considers natural competitors. Seems like the play here, if you love the Cayman package, is to grab a well sorted 981 and at least you have that sweet-sounding flat-6 engine.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      10-08-2018, 01:46 AM   #7
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Well M2 is a fun daily driver for everyone and Cayman is a fun weekend car if u got a lot of money...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #8
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
OG M2 all day.

Porsche's are lovely but the M2 is just that good.
      10-08-2018, 03:29 AM   #9
Cleybrooke
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

M2 is three times as quick. Went out on Saturday and if I had a Cayman I would have had to the Journey three times.

Good to take the family out...
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      10-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #10
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

Last night, after reading you post, I went to porsche.com, configured one how I'd like it, and drooled over it until I fell asleep. They're definitely cool looking cars, but if I were to get a Porsche I'd get a 911. The 718 is too expensive for what it is. Especially compared to the M2.
The GTS is over £10,000 more than an M2C here. That BMW gets something that competitive out of a budget mini sedan compared to Porsche’s bespoke, single-minded chassis is remarkable. Remember, the base car of a 718 GTS is a 718; the base car of an M2 is a 218i three-pot, itself based on a shortened 3-series.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #11
f4 plt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 competition

Probably the best mid engine car PORSCHE has built in years and so easy to add a little more. 2012 Boxster Spyder only 142 built in 2012 the rest of the total run of 700 were built as 2011 models. It is the lightest car PORSCHE has built in years and with a 3.4 flat six at 335 hp in a 2900 lb body. Sport buckets etc she is a very quick and nimble car on the Auto X course and a pleasure to take log trips in. In fact my wife and I have pulled a small cargo trailer behind her all over the country getting over 27 MPG while towing above 70 mph she is a keeper
Gauges are easy to read and in fact I have removed the sport chronology clock that sits in a pod on the dash and replaced it with an aircraft quality true oil pressure and oil temp gauge
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
DETRoadster11446.00
Hankdoll135.50
termigni1080.00
c1pher4545.50
      10-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #12
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4 plt View Post
I have removed the sport chronology clock that sits in a pod on the dash and replaced it with an aircraft quality true oil pressure and oil temp gauge
I'd like to see a picture of that!

I'm a long-time Porsche guy (and BMW guy) and have had several 911s, a Boxster (981) and a Panamera S. I really liked the Cayman, but it's too darn difficult for me (old fart) to get in and out of, the exhaust booms (non-GTS B6 version) and the ride is punishing. I wanted a dedicated track car that I could trailer home, money no object, then I'd buy the Cayman GT4, no question.

But I don't have a trailer any more, or a tow vehicle, and the track is a rare occurrence for me these days. So a slightly more comfortable, more practical and less expensive car that's as much fun to drive (even if maybe a bit less capable on the track) in the M2 fit the bill for me.

OP, thanks for the write-up, good job!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Made the mistake of driving a 2013 991 Carrera S this weekend. BIG mistake. Oh boy, cant stop thinking about it. It's the first P car I've ever driven or been in. I'm already starting to pencil out what the math looks like on how much I could realistically save up in the next 3 years, what my M2 trade in might look like, how to convince my wife, etc....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleybrooke View Post
M2 is three times as quick. Went out on Saturday and if I had a Cayman I would have had to the Journey three times.

lol, Good one.

Previously I choose the Saab 93 Aero (I still have it) because I was like "it's pretty fast with a tune, pretty good in the snow, and it's a 4 door. No way a wife would force me to sell it" Then I got the M2 because I realized I might never have a wife and children... If I continue this way, maybe a few years from now I'll get rid of the back seat and trunk all together and go for a Porsche or r8. In the last 6 years I've had people in the back seat maybe 3 times, and I only use the trunk because I go to the laundromat. If I just buy a house so I can have a washer/dryer than a Porsche would make more sense haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Made the mistake of driving a 2013 991 Carrera S this weekend. BIG mistake. Oh boy, cant stop thinking about it. It's the first P car I've ever driven or been in. I'm already starting to pencil out what the math looks like on how much I could realistically save up in the next 3 years, what my M2 trade in might look like, how to convince my wife, etc....
I am going through the same as you. Currently about to take the plunge with an M2C. After that may do a 911. Need to save some dollars.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      10-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #16
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I am going through the same as you. Currently about to take the plunge with an M2C. After that may do a 911. Need to save some dollars.
Yep. I've got it all planned out in my head. Wife is due for a new car in 2 years. That will take care of many of the reasons I moved form a 370Z to the M2 (Back seats, storage, good for long trips, etc.). Her car can take on the long distance duties leaving me free to "justify" the P car. The M will be paid off in 3 years and it'll be time to upgrade. That gives me 3 years to start squirreling away funds. Its all coming together!

Driving that 991 was like smoking crack. One hit and I'm hooked!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #17
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

Quote:
Yep. I've got it all planned out in my head. Wife is due for a new car in 2 years. That will take care of many of the reasons I moved form a 370Z to the M2 (Back seats, storage, good for long trips, etc.). Her car can take on the long distance duties leaving me free to "justify" the P car. The M will be paid off in 3 years and it'll be time to upgrade. That gives me 3 years to start squirreling away funds. Its all coming together!

Hahahahaha.

Great comments everyone.

That Boxster Spyder looks gorgeous!

Maybe I shouldn't drive the 911 yet cos I can't afford another addiction right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #18
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I agree with your comparison points - my pops has a Cayman S & yea, you really do FALL into the seats (not a bad thing), the steering is sharp, sports button is fun, exhaust is louder tho M2 sound is better, etc.

I also could have gone for a base Cayman but I agree, for me, too, the M2 was a better choice, no regrets. I, too, am ALSO thinking about adding a 2019 (or later) Miata Club to replace my '99 when it dies, AND thinking about a 911 T as well in the future - for same reasons, before the stick dies or, worse, the electric singularity arrives.

Interesting post - pretty much the exact same thoughts as I have all around!

I think that combo will make for an 'affordable' collectors garage down the line. Haven't figured how best to mix the colors of all three though. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #19
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleybrooke View Post

So when I initially started driving, roads were empty and I was taking things a little - shall I say, gently. My mate told me pull over stating 'let me show you how to drive the car'.
We ended up doing that stretch over and over again - at least three times.

So.......yeah......the M2 is three times as fast. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #20
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So glad my pops and I are not the only ones that think like this.
DETRoadster11446.00
      10-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #21
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydert View Post

I think that combo will make for an 'affordable' collectors garage down the line. Haven't figured how best to mix the colors of all three though. Any ideas?
Got the M2 in black and I'm liking the forthcoming "992" 911 in the dark blue (tho the current 911 T is not available in the dark blue ); the real color problem for me in that line-up is the Miata, which only comes in sh*t colors as far as I am concerned.

In '99 I had the choice of my two favorite colors - midnight blue and dark green, neither of which is offered as we enter the 4th year of ND Miata production. I chose the former nearly 20 years ago so I would love to see the latter offered in the ND Miata in the near future, which would give me a dark green Miata in the future to go with a possible dark blue 911.

I'll probably get a new dark blue GTI as well in a couple years (to replace my black 2011), and those 3 cars will almost certainly bring my new car buying days to an end, as the stick shift dies a final death and electrification takes over.
      10-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #22
Cleybrooke
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

Question.

Do reckon there are any Porsche blog sites with threads labeled "Drove an M2 and they are lot better than our xyz"....
Appreciate 0