BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Suspension Squeaking

07-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Suspension Squeaking

2018 M2, 4000 miles. I've noticed the suspension is starting to get really squeaky. Sounds like the fronts. It's much worse when the wheel is turned to the left but its starting to happen with the wheel straight over any bumps, big or small. Anyone deal with this before? I know the F80/82 M3/4 guys have had similar issues and it's required warranty strut replacements. Just trying to get an idea before I take it in for my annual service next month. Was planning on swapping for coils soon but if my stock suspension is jacked up I'd like to get it fixed before hand.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
$M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
2018 M2, 4000 miles. I've noticed the suspension is starting to get really squeaky. Sounds like the fronts. It's much worse when the wheel is turned to the left but its starting to happen with the wheel straight over any bumps, big or small. Anyone deal with this before? I know the F80/82 M3/4 guys have had similar issues and it's required warranty strut replacements. Just trying to get an idea before I take it in for my annual service next month. Was planning on swapping for coils soon but if my stock suspension is jacked up I'd like to get it fixed before hand.
I just picked up a 2018 and has less than 200 miles on it and the rear is beginning to squeak.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

does this occur on the M perf suspension too?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
$M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Running stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

After spending the last 9 weeks driving these crappy Houston roads I am surprised anyone can tolerate an M2 on these streets. Happy I left mine in AZ. Seriously though I doubt it is a strut issue, the rubber bushings are likely the culprit. Having said that it never hurts to take it to the dealer and have them take a look.

The roads in Houston really suck though
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
Topsfield_BMW_fan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

M2 rear suspension noise

I find once, maybe twice, a day I hear a "chunk" from the rear of my 2016 M2 (7000 pretty mild miles.) Stock suspension, no mods. I've heard it now and then since just a thousand miles or so, and while surprising each time, it doesn't manifest in any noticeable change of feel or physical sensation at all. Sounds to me like a spring squirming on its perch perhaps, though it's often when turning but not under much squat or intense throttle/handling. I'd be surprised if that could happen on such a modern car. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

Any updates on this? I'm hearing a clunking sound sometimes going over pretty big bumps on what seems to be both front wheels. Driving straight or turned. 6,500 miles 2018.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Bumping my old thread here to see if anyone else has had a creaky front suspension and what they did? Mine creaks from the front passenger side when going over bumps in a straight line (can really hear it at low speed) and when hitting small bumps while the wheel is turned left. It goes away when turning right and it doesn't happy when you turn the wheel back and forth while stopped.

I do have KW V3 coilovers but it made the exact same noise when on stock suspension so it's something unrelated to the actual shock/spring, but it has progressively gotten louder and seems worse when it's hot outside. First noticed it with maybe 1500 miles on the car, currently have ~7500.

In retrospect, I should have taken it in for BMW to look at before installing the KWs since they will just blame the coils, and I don't have the energy to redo the whole install x 2 right now. I plan on taking everything off about 6 months before warranty expires and having all these little things looked over before re-installing them but was wondering if you guys had any thoughts right now?

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
After spending the last 9 weeks driving these crappy Houston roads I am surprised anyone can tolerate an M2 on these streets. Happy I left mine in AZ. Seriously though I doubt it is a strut issue, the rubber bushings are likely the culprit. Having said that it never hurts to take it to the dealer and have them take a look.

The roads in Houston really suck though
I prefer DFW. You've just merged into 6 running lanes from the right and the satnav tells you to exit from the left in half a mile...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

There is some more talk of front suspension noises here. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1425894

Mine appeared after installing the KW v3's and Dinan front and rear bars.

In the next week or so I'm getting a DP installed and will also be replacing the strut carrier nuts and bolts, the stiffening plate bolts, and retorquing the axle support bolts. Actually, there is no front axle, so funny BMW calls it "front axle support bolts"

Other thoughts are to drive with the end links disconnected to see if the noise goes away, if it does the end links could be the culprit. Also to replace the strut top mount bolts. Maybe replace the top mounts and bolts too. I'll explore these things if the above doesn't solve my issue.

Here is a pdf I was sent of BMW's diagnosis procedure. They also list re-lubricating the wheel bearings. It's $60 for the recommended lube though and seems like a big process that I don't want to get into at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B31 03 18 Attachment.pdf (742.1 KB, 387 views)
Appreciate 1
Mosely592.50
      07-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

I don't have a creaking, but I have a clunking/knocking noise from front suspension when going over larger bumps going below 40MPH.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
There is some more talk of front suspension noises here. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1425894

Mine appeared after installing the KW v3's and Dinan front and rear bars.

In the next week or so I'm getting a DP installed and will also be replacing the strut carrier nuts and bolts, the stiffening plate bolts, and retorquing the axle support bolts. Actually, there is no front axle, so funny BMW calls it "front axle support bolts"

Other thoughts are to drive with the end links disconnected to see if the noise goes away, if it does the end links could be the culprit. Also to replace the strut top mount bolts. Maybe replace the top mounts and bolts too. I'll explore these things if the above doesn't solve my issue.

Here is a pdf I was sent of BMW's diagnosis procedure. They also list re-lubricating the wheel bearings. It's $60 for the recommended lube though and seems like a big process that I don't want to get into at this point.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I had been following that thread too. I'm going to fiddle around with the endlinks. I also saw on the F80 forum that the rubber boot on the strut can be the culprit, so I'm going to have a look at that. Other thing to check is the torque on the top mount bolt supposedly. Let us know if you figure yours out and I'll do the same!

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #13
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply! I had been following that thread too. I'm going to fiddle around with the endlinks. I also saw on the F80 forum that the rubber boot on the strut can be the culprit, so I'm going to have a look at that. Other thing to check is the torque on the top mount bolt supposedly. Let us know if you figure yours out and I'll do the same!
I just realized you're the one who made the giant KW v3 install guide. So you probably replaced the bolts I listed when you installed your coilovers.

Quick update from me. My DP arrived damaged, so I have to wait a bit longer to proceed with my suspension noise ideas. Back when I had my KW's and sway bars installed, my mechanic and I went through and replaced every bolt he took out. I was kinda hoping we missed the bolts I mentioned above, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Because my mechanic gave me back all of the "not reused" bolts from the install and they match the stiffening plate bolts I got in the mail Friday. I have 12 in my bag, which is 8 stiffening plate bolts and 4 rear suspension brace bolts. So seems to me they were replaced during the install. Either way, they have to get replaced again with the downpipe install, so it's not like I bought them for no reason.

Once I get the carrier bolts and top hat bolts in the mail, I'll compare them to them to my bag of "not reused" bolts and see if they were replaced already too.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:42 AM   #14
KeepItlow
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Car

My 2017 M2 LCI had front right suspension clunk when going over humps or driveway entry at low speed, thing is it doesn't always happen so I didn't bother to look into it and later sold the car..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #15
biomechaniod
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I want to add my recent experience in case it's helpful to anyone...

I took delivery of a 2020 M2 Comp in August. Right away I noticed a significant metallic ping, creak, or tick sound coming from the front suspension. It would happen when entering my driveway or articulating the front suspension but also when turning the steering wheel while maneuvering into a parking spot. It was not a repeating rotational noise associated with the front wheels turning or related to applying the brakes. It sounded like something was loose or shifting whenever a load was applied.

They checked out the calipers and tried the shim fix between the hub and disc. The dealer eventually diagnosed it as a problem on the upper front strut. They ordered new guide supports and washers (basically the upper mounting of the strut where it bolts to the frame) and replaced both driver and passenger side parts.

It appears to have fixed the problem so far...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I have squeaky rear M perf suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #17
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
I have squeaky rear M perf suspension.
Do you fixed it? I have same "problem" on rear kw suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #18
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Replaced the rear lower bushes. KW sell them - BMW do not (but will fit them).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #19
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Replaced the rear lower bushes. KW sell them - BMW do not (but will fit them).
Number 2?

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 02:58 PM   #20
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

No, the bush in the bottom mount of the damper.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #21
Track/S
Major
Rep

Ah ok, mine has uniball.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 04:27 PM   #22
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
Ah ok, mine has uniball.
A uniball on the bottom of the damper? What suspension is this?
Appreciate 0