BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > 1200 mile service observations

03-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #23
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
So, I just went in for mine. This is what the SA told me (Alex Long of Seattle BMW):

The service entails new engine oil (0-30 spec), and new diff oil. Period. No software tweak, no enabling of Launch, no nothin'. He says Launch has been enabled all along. He also says the diff oil fill is the same stuff that the car left the factory with.

Separately, I described for him the horrible racket my rear brakes made one day when I was driving in my firm's garage (but not to my ears before or since.) He checked it out, and is authorizing a repair that involves replacing the "backing plates," which in turn requires replacing the bearings. Covered by warranty. Would cost $1500 to $1800 if not covered. Should entirely eliminate the noises, he claims. Nothing to do with the diff, or for that matter rocks (although he says rocks can get in there and cause their own noises.)

Says maybe 50% of M2, M3, and M4s have had that same repair done at this dealership.
:

I wouldn't think it would require replacing a wheel bearing to replace a backing plate: There is an awful noise that come come from a wheel bearing that is failing. I (and many others ) have had them fail very prematurely on a Subaru Legacy.

Either way whatever failed is covered under warranty

Have them do the repairs and post up what parts were replaced
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 11:08 PM   #24
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I'm told it is measure # 61199185-05

New plates #s are 34-20-8-053-265 and 266
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #25
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
I would assume you need WOT to experience the overboost. It logically makes sense but I never personally tried it.
Ok. Crossed my mind that overboost could be activated just after break in but never saw any reference to it, just the launch control. Anyway, using launch control will definitely make the car faster, and there's no way of trying it before breaking in.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #26
pmilani
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M3 CS (LRG)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp01 View Post
Ok. Crossed my mind that overboost could be activated just after break in but never saw any reference to it, just the launch control. Anyway, using launch control will definitely make the car faster, and there's no way of trying it before breaking in.
AFAIK overboost is activated by the kickdown button so you need to press accel pedal all the way
Appreciate 1
Lp01109.00