Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
The new Camaro should be a blast and actually has the inside and outside looks to back it up. It's just too big - same problem the M4 has.
Totally agree. If the M4 were the physical size/scale of the 2, that's what would be in my driveway. That's why so many hopes and dreams are being pinned onto the M2. It will be awesome, but it won't be a mini M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #46
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
You could rent a Shelby GT350H from Hertz back in 1966. This was a time when BMW didn't have the products it has now, nor was known for handling. And Euro cars at the time were known as troublesome to own at best.

Imagine if Ford did reignite that deal with Hertz again, and you could rent the Ford GT350 today. You'd probably have to eat those words.
Had to look at the thread title again... yeahhh, it says Camaro. Uhhh, I don't get it, sir.

I do like the look of the GT350, the base model even is OK, but the Camaro... nope. Not sure what you're trying to get at anyway. Some people don't do too well with jokes, I guess.
      08-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #47
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Had to look at the thread title again... yeahhh, it says Camaro. Uhhh, I don't get it, sir.

I do like the look of the GT350, the base model even is OK, but the Camaro... nope. Not sure what you're trying to get at anyway. Some people don't do too well with jokes, I guess.
Even though this is a Camaro thread, people have also talked about the GT350, due to the price. And the Camaro is talked about in this thread due to price, even though neither the Camaro or the GT350 is a M2 competitor, but more a M4/M4 GTS competitor. And the new Camaro is based on the same chassis as the ATS/ATS-V, which is a 3/4 and M3/M4 competitor, respectively.

I mentioned the 1966 Shelby GT350H because you mentioned the "rental car" aspect of the Camaro. Back in 1966 you could literally rent a race car from Hertz. I don't think one can rent a M4 GTS or Porsche GT3/RS from Hertz or the current GT350 either.

I got the joke, I was just pointing out a reality.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #48
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME
Quote:

Even though this is a Camaro thread, people have also talked about the GT350, due to the price. And the Camaro is talked about in this thread due to price, even though neither the Camaro or the GT350 is a M2 competitor, but more a M4/M4 GTS competitor. And the new Camaro is based on the same chassis as the ATS/ATS-V, which is a 3/4 and M3/M4 competitor, respectively.

I mentioned the 1966 Shelby GT350H because you mentioned the "rental car" aspect of the Camaro. Back in 1966 you could literally rent a race car from Hertz. I don't think one can rent a M4 GTS or Porsche GT3/RS from Hertz or the current GT350 either.
You work for Hertz. Sorry. It's cool.
      08-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #49
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
You work for Hertz. Sorry. It's cool.
l I wish...because if I did, I would push for them to bring back the rental GT350, and for rental M3/M4s and M2s. As well as rental Camaro Z28s, Corvette Stingrays, M5s, ATS-Vs, Mercedes C63 S, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #50
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I guess it depends which BMW you are talking about. With the entire lineup minus the 2 Series, I agree. They're more of a hybrid of other brands than true BMW's IMHO.

The 2 series on the other hand, is exactly what BMW has been good at doing. The M2 even more so.

I just have no interest in pony cars. They're all just far too big. I already have an E92 M3, and that already feels like a GT car. I will admit that they do have a lot of personality and charm (not to mention value for money), but it's just not quite what I'm looking for.
Good post. If someone's ideal BMW is the E39 M5 or the E92 M3, then Chevy is more likely to make an appealing car for them than BMW these days. But if their favorite BMW was a 2002 tii, E30 M3, etc, then the M2 is the new car for them. I'm still not convinced that the M2 will be a particularly involving drive, though. Not that the Camaro will beat it on steering feel or anything, but at least it'll make proper noises without the aid of the stereo.

Personally, I just want the most involving car that I can swing for a ~$450/month lease payment that is still practical enough to carry my kids (both <5 yrs old) in the back. M2 is borderline too small for that purpose, but I'll check it out. 2016 Camaro moved way up my list when I read that it lost 200 lbs, is on the ATS platform, has the LT1 underhood, and I saw pictures of the interior.
Appreciate 2
      08-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #51
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Really don't see the M2 going for 450 a month.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #52
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Well I watched a road race on TV this weekend and the Mustangs and Camaros were kicking the crap out of Porsches, Nissans and BMWs. I know those are not stock but still.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #53
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ED invoice+$500 once they no longer come out of dealer allocation, with 7 MSDs should come in below $450/month by a good bit. Before the LCI (and subsequent tank in the residuals), you could lease a stripped M3 for ~$480/month, nothing down, taxes+fees+MSDs up front.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #54
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew
Quote:
ED invoice+$500 once they no longer come out of dealer allocation, with 7 MSDs. Before the LCI (and subsequent tank in the residuals), you could lease a stripped M3 for ~$480/month, nothing down, taxes+fees+MSDs up front.
M cars always come out of allocation for dealers. M2 will be in much fewer supply and likely have demand heavily outweigh production for a while if not for always. BMW can and does make more M3s and M4s than they plan on making of M2s. And all 3 and 4 series cars lease better than 2 series. They would also get bigger incentive bumps.

So yes, an M3 sure. The M2 I just don't see it. The reality is made up of more than simple math.
      08-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #55
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
Good post. If someone's ideal BMW is the E39 M5 or the E92 M3, then Chevy is more likely to make an appealing car for them than BMW these days. But if their favorite BMW was a 2002 tii, E30 M3, etc, then the M2 is the new car for them. I'm still not convinced that the M2 will be a particularly involving drive, though. Not that the Camaro will beat it on steering feel or anything, but at least it'll make proper noises without the aid of the stereo.

Personally, I just want the most involving car that I can swing for a ~$450/month lease payment that is still practical enough to carry my kids (both <5 yrs old) in the back. M2 is borderline too small for that purpose, but I'll check it out. 2016 Camaro moved way up my list when I read that it lost 200 lbs, is on the ATS platform, has the LT1 underhood, and I saw pictures of the interior.
Exactly right. I'm keeping the M3s, so I'm looking for something right in between it and my E36.

The best thing GM could have possibly done for the Camaro was to give it the same chassis as the ATS, which is world class as far as I'm concerned. The only problem for me, is that it's too big for what I'm looking for still. But you throw in a good old V8 in that, and no doubt the car will be a nice improvement over the old.

I need to take a look at the Camaro interior, I haven't been paying much attention. The thing that really shocked me about the Mustang is how big it was physically, but how absolutely useless the rear seats were. It might as well have been a 2 seater with a giant trunk.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #56
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
M cars always come out of allocation for dealers. M2 will be in much fewer supply and likely have demand heavily outweigh production for a while if not for always. BMW can and does make more M3s and M4s than they plan on making of M2s. And all 3 and 4 series cars lease better than 2 series. They would also get bigger incentive bumps.
OK, I stand corrected. I remember the E92 M3s didn't come out of allocation for ED orders near the end of its lifecycle (nor the F10 M5 near the beginning of its), but apparently BMW isn't so generous now that the economy is better. So we're probably looking at more like $500/month for an M2 ED lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #57
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I need to take a look at the Camaro interior, I haven't been paying much attention.
It ain't a Ferrari, but it looks properly sporty with some nice touches (stitching, leather knee rest, center vents, etc). Still has some over-styled Transformers sh!t going on around the cluster, infotainment screen, and door pulls, but not nearly as garish as the faux-retro stuff in the Mustang.

Appreciate 1
      08-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #58
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
l I wish...because if I did, I would push for them to bring back the rental GT350, and for rental M3/M4s and M2s. As well as rental Camaro Z28s, Corvette Stingrays, M5s, ATS-Vs, Mercedes C63 S, etc.
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...mustang_gt.jsp

looks like the hertz " adrenaline connection " has changed to the " prestige collection"
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
OK, I stand corrected. I remember the E92 M3s didn't come out of allocation for ED orders near the end of its lifecycle (nor the F10 M5 near the beginning of its), but apparently BMW isn't so generous now that the economy is better. So we're probably looking at more like $500/month for an M2 ED lease.
I don't profess to know about whether they come out of allocation or not... but now actually BMW USA has a Euro Delivery web page

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx

Click on Order your BMW and it brings up the US MSRP and US ED MSRP.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erYourBMW.aspx

the discount IIRC is 7% off the US MSRP purchase price. In certain situations, one may be able to negotiate lower than the ED MSRP at a dealer... particularly if the model run is ending or you are a big hitter with the dealer..

Ok... first off... you can quit that ED invoice+$500 mess right now.... because but I wouldn't expect a deal on an M2 until awhile into the model run... people have been waiting for this car for 4 years... and while others sit and scoff.. cars will get snatched up. You want to pay 5% over ED invoice... you should STRONGLY consider an M3/M4 or have a parent that owns a dealer.

Quote:
. M2 will be in much fewer supply and likely have demand heavily outweigh production for a while if not for always. BMW can and does make more M3s and M4s than they plan on making of M2s. And all 3 and 4 series cars lease better than 2 series. They would also get bigger incentive bumps.

So yes, an M3 sure. The M2 I just don't see it. The reality is made up of more than simple math.

I agree... BMW NA and BMW AG would really prefer you buy a 3/4 series model.. so they can keep the luxury compact sedan sales crown.... This means that the lease rates on pretty much and any all 3 and 4 series models are likely to be much more favorable than the rates for 2 series models. As with the 1M... it will likely be considered a new model with no history as there has not been a previous 2 series M model. I have never leased a car and I don't know a lot about leasing but I would expect crappy residual values on a " new model vehicle" and I am sure any actuary would throw out an 1M data... I mean come on... 4 years later it's at 100 percent residual....

The fact that the M2 will be considered all new will be good in some ways... 1M insurance rates tended to be what most owners considered very low if not very favorable for a car with it's performance characteristics.... for example vs. Camaro here right? Athough the 1M and the M2 are nearly identical... don't expect the insurance industry to make that conceptual leap... Ask me how I know...

Bottom line that I can recall is that Lease rates for the 1M were EXTREMELY UNFAVORABLE.

Let's give you some * real world * numbers on the 1M.

Typical lease payments were well into the $800 range.. Very few buyers leased the car because purchase options were simply THAT much better. I would hazard that most people that leased likely were doing so due to a company paid lease payment. For anyone spending their own money.. It was very well known in the forums at the time how horrible the lease rates were, and many people bitched that they had waited for the 1M and now they were going to go get a deal on an M3.... (FUCK OFF AND BUY AN E90! )

I just looked at the ED price for an M3 sedan... it's $57.7K vs 59.7K for an M4.. .... so once again... this price likely will be lower than a top of the line loaded M2. If one can still get 2015 lease rates.. Picky M2 buyers take note... now is a great time to get an M3/M4!

However for the dedicated 1M buyer.. It was easy to beat the lease payments by going with a long term loan... for example.. 72 or 84 months.

I tend to go for the longest loan terms possible... so I have the lowest minimum payment... and then I nearly always pay the loan off at a quicker rate. In my case.. I worked my payment down to $607 a month for a 1M ED purchase with literally zero down and all TTL included on a car with a few minor mods.

Many car buyers blanch at such long loan terms... however loan rates were low at the time ( 1.99 percent was an extremely common rate at penfed and navy fed and other credit unions...) and if you could afford the car... likely you didn't pay more than 2.99% which is a pittance to pay for financing. I believe the rates are STILL low...

Wow am I good... check what I found.. in the 1M forums of course...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=lease+payment

I am so happy I purchased it this way..... oddly... after 4 years I have 30K miles. That owner would have had to turn the car in after 3 years with a 30 K residual and paid $240 a month more than I am... Pretty sure my 1M was worth nearly double that residual lol sometime least year..

Ok... Finally. nothing personal... but. I have to simply LAUGH and I mean ROFL laugh at one comment you made....

Quote:
I'm still not convinced that the M2 will be a particularly involving drive, though..
Are you kidding... ?? please name the first BMW full on BMW M car (sorry... M235 etc doesn't count) that is not a particularly involving drive...

If your budget is $450... it's time to go Camaro shopping.... or even F80 M3 shopping with all those credits.. but if the M2 tracks like the 1M did.. and in the leasing world...why would it not, as a completely new model.... even if the M2 base price holds the line I can pretty much tell you now that you won't be near a $500 payment on an M2 without making a sizable down payment. If you want the best WAG available, check out the lease terms on a loaded M235 via ED as a range finder ..

Quote:
I guess it depends which BMW you are talking about. With the entire lineup minus the 2 Series, I agree. They're more of a hybrid of other brands than true BMW's IMHO.

The 2 series on the other hand, is exactly what BMW has been good at doing. The M2 even more so.

I just have no interest in pony cars. They're all just far too big. I already have an E92 M3, and that already feels like a GT car. I will admit that they do have a lot of personality and charm (not to mention value for money), but it's just not quite what I'm looking for.

My daughter wants a 2007 Pony Mustang.... She currently has an E46 convertible.... hers is a 2001 and I suggested a low mile 2006 car I found but she's all googly eyes for muscle cars... kills me! She has no clue how much better a car the BMW is...

By the way... the E9x is a GT car... and of course the M3 is the EXACT car that FORD targeted with the last generation mustang.. Ford even made a frikkin' video about it..

Brought you in here as last food for thought on a possible F80M3... the phew is right.... one can probably make a sweet deal on an F80 M3 soon.. last chance.....! or go bust on M2 .... I know you've already got your mind made up....

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-05-2015 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #60
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I like the design for American muscle but visibility sucks!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #61
BigTuna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: yes

Quote:
ED invoice+$500 once they no longer come out of dealer allocation, with 7 MSDs should come in below $450/month by a good bit. Before the LCI (and subsequent tank in the residuals), you could lease a stripped M3 for ~$480/month, nothing down, taxes+fees+MSDs up front.
Who has that kind of f80 lease?
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #62
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Who has that kind of f80 lease?
pretty sure it's the Camaro F80 package..
Appreciate 0