BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Interview: Bjoern Lellmann on BMW M2 Competition with M Performance Parts (FAQ / Q&A)

05-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #89
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
I am not allowed to share anything other than that it is happening this summer

MR
We demand more.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #90
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
Quote:

• Can or will all of the M performance parts be installed by the dealer? Cough, including the roof, cough...

BL: All aftersales parts are being installed at the dealer. Every single part!!!! The dealers will be handed extensive manuals on how to deal with it. The installation will be done as we have seen before in videos online. The window screens are removed, the welds are being drilled and the new roof is put into place. The dealer will have to do it. If they don’t want to do it, it means you should go to another dealer who does want to do it. For the U.S. market it means that all parts are either fitted at the port on new cars, or at the dealer when you have a 2nd hand M2C, M2 (LCI), M240i, or a normal 2-Series Coupe.

MR

So M-perf parts are all installed at the dealer (or at the port), even the roof. Even appears the dealer will be painting the hoods? Knowing quality of service at dealers vary, I feel like this opens BMW up to some potentially unwanted quality control issues. I would definitely opt for the port but this does mean those who want to get an M2c early can opt to add something like a CF roof later. What about ED? Would parts be installed at the factory if you're picking it up there?
For ED, I suspect you will pick it up without the CF bits and they will be installed at the port when it is shipped.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #91
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm particular like that also but in my experience, if you find the right bodyshop that specialize in custom work; installing and paint matching most of the cosmetic parts is a day job for them, without much risk.

But the roof, hellz to the no!! #CreakingNoise
You guys are so dramatic. You act like this is the last car you’ll ever own. Get them port installed for free. Inspect paint match and install before final delivery. Use full warranty is anything arises, just like any other aspect of the vehicle.
Appreciate 6
      05-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #92
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Quote:
I'm particular like that also but in my experience, if you find the right bodyshop that specialize in custom work; installing and paint matching most of the cosmetic parts is a day job for them, without much risk.

But the roof, hellz to the no!! #CreakingNoise
You guys are so dramatic. You act like this is the last car you'll ever own. Get them port installed for free. Inspect paint match and install before final delivery. Use full warranty is anything arises, just like any other aspect of the vehicle.
There is no such thing as "free" installation at the port.

What if you don't want to complicate your sales negotiation with MP parts and purchased them online, aftersale..

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006333

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1048761
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #93
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I wonder if port installed hood they will paint over the exposed carbon bump for you? I'm guessing you can't put that on the order sheet.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #94
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspoon View Post
Looking forward to seeing the US exhaust.

The US exhaust will look exactly like the Canadian M2 Competition exhaust.The specs are the same for both countries.There was a pic of the exhaust posted by m34m in the other thread.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1494841
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #95
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Makes absolutely no sense how a fully decked out m2 Comp would not come win every mperf piece bmw makes for it! Same old nickel and dime bullshit forever with bmw.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #96
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Fantastic thread!!!!
Quote:
• What's the weight difference between the 437M wheels and the new 788M wheels?

BL: The total weight different is 3.5 kg less for all four wheels as mentioned in the press release.
Great news, black finish 788m sounds like the ticket.

Quote:
• Is the particulate filter the reason the muffler is so large and will USA cars also be equipped with it?

BL: Yes, the particulate filter is the reason the muffler is so large at the back. The U.S. market will get an exhaust WITHOUT the filter. The filter is ONLY for Europe. The M Performance exhaust will also get the OPF filter installed. The U.S. market will NOT get the filter on the titanium M Performance exhaust.
• Can or will all of the M performance parts be installed by the dealer? Cough, including the roof, cough...
Huge news for the US. Particulate filters are very large, heavy, and unnecessarily complex.

Quote:

BL: All aftersales parts are being installed at the dealer. Every single part!!!! The dealers will be handed extensive manuals on how to deal with it. The installation will be done as we have seen before in videos online. The window screens are removed, the welds are being drilled and the new roof is put into place. The dealer will have to do it. If they don't want to do it, it means you should go to another dealer who does want to do it. For the U.S. market it means that all parts are either fitted at the port on new cars, or at the dealer when you have a 2nd hand M2C, M2 (LCI), M240i, or a normal 2-Series Coupe.
Confirmed port install for US.
Can we get some info on the weight savings for the US by not having the particulate filter?
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      05-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #97
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nah

Doesn't feel like an M w/o carbon fiber roof and I definitely wouldn't have one installed after the fact...port or dealer. And agree with all previous comments regarding quality of dealer install
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #98
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
Doesn't feel like an M w/o carbon fiber roof and I definitely wouldn't have one installed after the fact...port or dealer. And agree with all previous comments regarding quality of dealer install
By your logic, my e46 M3 wasn't an M car.

And imho - still the pillar of M cars.

Cmon.
seis-speed2426.00
      05-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #99
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Thanks for getting us some clarification MR - this really helps.

However, the content of the answers is not what I was hoping to hear:

1), Dealer install of the roof, after they watch some videos on it? No thanks.
2). Dealer painting the hood to make it all body color? No thanks.
3). M performance on the bootlid instead of M2? No thanks again.

This will be an inconsistent shit show, depending on the dealer.
The roof is so beautiful but I remember to all the process?

1 completely remove interior: seats front and rear internal hood and all parts related.
1.bis remove huge part of electronic harness all antenna, roof console etc.
2 remove front and rear windows by cutting and buy new one
2bis protect all the rest of interior
3 CUT THE ORIGINAL Roof yes exactly this is crazy. Normally if car take hail is absolutely not suggested to replace roof!
4 now the car is destroyed as start rebuilding!
5 if you buy m4 you save money, you have more power less risk of damage a great car...

This is my opinion guys is absolutely crazy!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #100
Poochie
United_States
Rep

I believe we're going to be hearing a lot interesting stories about the M2C carbon roof installs, once delivery commence..

#MyCfRoofFlewOutOnTheHighway

#MyM2CisAConvertibleNow
Appreciate 2
dmboone254970.50
///M Houbi1653.00
      05-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #101
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Thanks for getting us some clarification MR - this really helps.

However, the content of the answers is not what I was hoping to hear:

1), Dealer install of the roof, after they watch some videos on it? No thanks.
2). Dealer painting the hood to make it all body color? No thanks.
3). M performance on the bootlid instead of M2? No thanks again.

This will be an inconsistent shit show, depending on the dealer.
I will not be buying the roof now for sure! we will see about an aftermarket paint job on additional parts... I guess it gives more credence to the full wrap idea. I may wrap it in Mineral Grey
      05-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #102
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Do all new M Performance parts fit on the M2?

Almost all. Exhaust, engine cover, front splitter and mirror caps don't fit.

that's interesting as I could fit to the m235/ m240
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #103
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Makes absolutely no sense how a fully decked out m2 Comp would not come win every mperf piece bmw makes for it! Same old nickel and dime bullshit forever with bmw.
Probably because 99% of it makes zero difference to the feel of the car, with some items being downright tacky. I am glad that BMW keeps the base model nice and tasteful. I know people go crazy for this stuff but I can't stand the exposed CF, decals, unnecessary badging, etc.
      05-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #104
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

You lot are mad. Do you really think BMW would release the carbon roof in this manner if it was going to cause them no end of problems?
Appreciate 2
hellrotm4142.50
      05-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #105
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:

What if you don't want to complicate your sales negotiation with MP parts and purchased them online, aftersale..

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=859495

@cntzl
Quote:
How so? If you pay MSRP with port install, it'll be your final price. If you pay MSRP at the parts department, you'll also have to pay for the labor. "Port prices add for installation" is not an accurate statement IMO. I got an invoice deal for my M4 and it meant me paying invoice pricing for the port installed parts as well (CF spoiler, CF diffuser, and MPE). In other words, not only I didn't pay any labor on those parts but also got close to 20% discount. Here's a partial screenshot of my built sheet, look at the invoice vs MSRP difference of M performance parts (you may not be able to get any discounts on the price of a recently released car but you have a better chance of negotiating on M performance parts):

Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
      05-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #106
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Thanks for posting this. I'm absolutely in love with those wheels. Damn!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #107
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

@cntzl
Quote:
How so? If you pay MSRP with port install, it'll be your final price. If you pay MSRP at the parts department, you'll also have to pay for the labor. "Port prices add for installation" is not an accurate statement IMO. I got an invoice deal for my M4 and it meant me paying invoice pricing for the port installed parts as well (CF spoiler, CF diffuser, and MPE). In other words, not only I didn't pay any labor on those parts but also got close to 20% discount. Here's a partial screenshot of my built sheet, look at the invoice vs MSRP difference of M performance parts (you may not be able to get any discounts on the price of a recently released car but you have a better chance of negotiating on M performance parts):

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/acw9d.png[/IMG]
Good luck with all that
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #108
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@cntzl
Quote:

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/acw9d.png[/IMG]
Good luck with all that
Good luck with what specifically? We are not talking about a process that may work for some but not for others. You may or may not be able get a discount on the M performance parts and that's a different story. However, in the worst case, you pay the MSRP (list price) for the part and BMW installs it for you at the part at no additional cost. So yes, port install is free as long as you order the parts with the car (at least for now).

On the other hand, I still have some concerns regarding the port install. So far the parts that are available for port install are fairly straightforward to install (CF accessories, MPE etc.). Installing roof requires removing the existing one and hood, fenders, trunk lid etc involves a paint job plus additional labor for the install. These are very labor intensive operations compared to a CF diffuser/spoiler install or even MPE. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if BMW charged extra for these specific M performance items in the case of port install.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #109
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

If someone were to do a port install on the trunk, fenders and hood, they wouldn't get to keep the original parts. I would think that the original parts would be worth quite a bit on the salvage circuit.

Edit: Of course if the port does the install and paint job for free, then maybe it's not such a bad deal.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 05-12-2018 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
      05-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #110
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppeM3+123d View Post
The roof is so beautiful but I remember to all the process?
1 completely remove interior: seats front and rear internal hood and all parts related.
1.bis remove huge part of electronic harness all antenna, roof console etc.
2 remove front and rear windows by cutting and buy new one
2bis protect all the rest of interior
3 CUT THE ORIGINAL Roof yes exactly this is crazy. Normally if car take hail is absolutely not suggested to replace roof!
4 now the car is destroyed as start rebuilding!
5 if you buy m4 you save money, you have more power less risk of damage a great car...
This is my opinion guys is absolutely crazy!!
Reposting this video again just to give a rough idea of what's involved:

silverado287.50