BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Wheel hop and other observations - A closer look underneath

12-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #23
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Is it really 'normal' to have oil on the turbo like that?

I would think that would be cause for concern, especially when driving hard!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #24
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post

Merc CDI (inline 6 turbo diesel) were notorious for this due to their pcv system and oil gets all over the insides of the charge piping and intercooler. The only real solution is an external catch can. I have a really nice Mahle one with replaceable filter. If put inline it should resolve it.
This is assuming it's the pcv and not another seal further up which failed causing the same symptoms.
I'm not S55 expert but maybe it's worse after break in and not quite as bad later (I'll find out).

Also - the valvetronic V3 is crazy compact! My buddy and I (not S55 familiar) weren't even sure it had it at first.

We also stared at the boomerang carbon fiber "strut brace" and just can't seem to figure out how it does anything. Can someone explain the physics? There is an aluminum piece under the shrouding that does connect and actually even connects up at the firewall as well (weak?). But not sure how the carbon piece is really adding rigidity the way it's mounted/shaped etc.

Some other observations;

The extra triangulated gusseting supports are pretty neat.

The bane of my existence electric power steering (manual rack swap would be great)

Looks like the gap in bodywork and headlight feed to intakes?

I had to adjust the felt on a power junction to keep it from chaffing. One of the larger gauged wires does chaff (sp?) but luckily bmw put a plastic guard there do you don't burn your car down..
Nice electrical tape..

The almond paste looking corrosion coating is sweet. There is also a lack of sound deadening in many places BMW formerly installed which is interesting considering how quiet the car is with windows up in comfort and ASD disabled.
Attached Images

Last edited by Proctor750; 12-17-2018 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      12-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #25
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Mine still does it with DTC off. Or at least what I'd consider wheel hop in 1st when launching on wet pavement. Instead of just spinning the back end you feel this horrible shuddering through the chassis.
Ditto. This has only been a problem for me in a straight line. I have yet to have hop when making donuts or U-turns.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #26
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post

We also stared at the boomerang carbon fiber "strut brace" and just can't seem to figure out how it does anything
I sincerely believe that the carbon fiber section of strut brace is nothing more than eye candy. The concealed aluminum section that actually attaches both strut towers, I can see that having some meaningful impact on rigidity.

Of course, saying anything that might be remotely interpreted as negative about the sanctimonious M2C here is considered blasphemy and will be followed by subliminal verbal attacks and being labeled as a "troll" so I kept it to myself, even if it's blatantly obvious..
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      12-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #27
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Ditto. This has only been a problem for me in a straight line. I have yet to have hop when making donuts or U-turns.
After the first couple times I decided not to try again until tires are almost gone.

I recall the same thing on my 2016 M2.

Last edited by 3tekcorps; 12-18-2018 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #28
Poochie
United_States
Rep

WoW, the S55 turbos are smaller than I expected but it's ok; a beautiful woman once told me that size doesn't matter, while crossing her fingers...

I'm pretty sure she was telling the truth..
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-18-2018, 01:35 AM   #29
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

About wheelhop. I got that sometimes with my ex 1M and Michelin PS2. Annoying I remember.
Some say it's because of that type of tyre.

Grippy summertyres on dry surface because in the wet no problem off course, wheelspin galore.
But half wet wheelhop occurred also.

Why should it be an LSD thing in the first place and not the PSS
(In my case)

Just asking.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
3tekcorps826.00
M-Pilot4859.00
      12-18-2018, 02:32 AM   #30
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Found a solid explanation by CanAutM3 (as always ) that is inline with what I used to experience in my M4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGOOD View Post
That being said does anyone know what really causes wheel hop.
To answer this question, I'll simply quote what I have posted in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Wheel hop is the resultant of tires loosing traction and regaining it in rapid succession. It is usually caused by deflection in the suspension geometry that distorts the tires contact patch and reduce grip under hard acceleration forces. This usually occurs in conditions where the tire are at the limit of their grip. So as you accelerate (hard), the suspension deflects causing the tire to lose grip, less grip means less acceleration and the suspension relaxes, which in turn brings back the grip, increases acceleration and the suspension deflects again. Repeat this in rapid succession and you have wheel hop.

I find my M4 mostly suffers from wheel hop with very cold tires (cold tires in cold/rainy weather). The cold tires dont have enough grip to maintain traction as the suspension deflects. With warm tires, I dont have an issue since the tires are able to maintain grip even with the distorted contact patch caused by the suspension deflection.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8716.00
dmboone254972.00
      12-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #31
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
I don't think it's that simple.

EDIT: disregard - I just saw doughboy's post and wasn't aware that the majority of the load is managed by the front 4 bushings and the rear is simply a dampener. If this is the case then adding a second ear would probably not fix the issue. I knew the end piece was for dampening but assumed that it doubled as a mount since it connects through the subframe itself.

EDIT 2: Looking at Real OEM paints a different picture. It appears the vibration damper is attached to the rear of the actual rear diff MOUNT which there is only 1. Since it indeed has a normal rubber mounting, and only one at that - having a second one would certainly help. Sorry for the poor photoshop my red line goes to the wrong bush in the pic
Interestingly, BMW use exactly the same part on the M3 and M4, including the M4 GT4. The latter example suggests it's not a major issue in racing conditions. The GT4 does use different suspension components though.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #32
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I sincerely believe that the carbon fiber section of strut brace is nothing more than eye candy. The concealed aluminum section that actually attaches both strut towers, I can see that having some meaningful impact on rigidity.

Of course, saying anything that might be remotely interpreted as negative about the sanctimonious M2C here is considered blasphemy and will be followed by subliminal verbal attacks and being labeled as a "troll" so I kept it to myself, even if it's blatantly obvious..
The points that the front mounts bolt to do look a little flimsy, but the part itself appears to be remarkably strong. Pictures of used items on eBay show bits of the front mounts ripped off an apparently undamaged carbon structure.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:51 AM   #33
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:

The points that the front mounts bolt to do look a little flimsy, but the part itself appears to be remarkably strong. Pictures of used items on eBay show bits of the front mounts ripped off an apparently undamaged carbon structure.
I don't have any raw data to back it up but if you look at how it attaches to the alloyed frame, common sense will tell you that it's just there for ornamental purposes..

It's probably light as styrofoam and it can't and doesn't take any brunt of the twisting forces. The alloy brace would have to bend first before the carbon fiber piece kicks in as 'reinforcement.' And that's never going to happen unless the vehicle is in a major side-impact collision, which moots any supposed purpose..

I know you guys just love it to death and is going to defend its purpose to the bitter end but it's pretty obvious that the alloy brace is doing all the work but the carbon fiber piece is there to take all the credit..
Reminds me of my manager...
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
kpham189.50
x233284.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      12-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #34
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Skimming through the old Bimmerpost archives, it appears the pre-LCI F82 M4 was tuned, stock, to be tail-happy and suffered from many cases of wheel hop.

On later iterations of the M4, BMW turned down the spiky front-heavy tune, making it more progressive throughout the RPM band to help with this and to make the power more manageable i.e. less 'low end torque'

Keeping with this trend, it explains why in the newer BMW M2C they "weight optimized" the the boost to help alleviate this and similar launching issues..

It seems that it's a known problem but proper right foot pedal modulation and proper season-appropriate tires will help to minimize it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8716.00
      12-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #35
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Wheel hop is a massively complicated non-linear vibrations problem in a car with IRS. *ALL* IRS cars are susceptible to wheel hop vibration, and since tires are a significant portion of the equation, varying them along with tread depth, rubber thermo-oxidative aging (heat cycles), along with the road surface, etc,etc all will change the dynamic response of the chassis (like how on a certain dry road you might be able to lay down 50' of rubber cleanly but come back when the road is wet and get wheel hop like crazy).

If you go about changing bushing stiffness, you'll simply change the frequency where the oscillation occurs.

It's actually a really cool vibrations problem to analyze since so many aspects of car's suspension and the chassis (body-in-white) and subframe properties are all part of it. That wind-up/release forcing function CanAutM3 refers to is one of amazing parts of the equation, and is very difficult to model.

The best solution so far was found by Cadillac during the 2nd gen CTSV development a number of years ago and involves having halfshafts of different torsional rigidity. When you properly size the differing polar moments of inertia of the two halfshafts, it allows different levels of dynamic torsional deflection...which nicely eliminates (or greatly reduces) the wheel hop wind-up condition in the system.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
akkando5863.00
      12-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #36
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post

The best solution so far was found by Cadillac during the 2nd gen CTSV development a number of years ago and involves having halfshafts of different torsional rigidity. When you properly size the differing polar moments of inertia of the two halfshafts, it allows different levels of dynamic torsional deflection...which nicely eliminates (or greatly reduces) the wheel hop wind-up condition in the system.
Isn't this what the M torque-vectoring LSD is suppose to mimic, with a varying degrees of torque to each wheel? Or does it go beyond wheel power distribution?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #37
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Isn't this is what the M torque-vectoring LSD is suppose to mimic, with a varying degrees of torque to each wheel? Or does it go beyond wheel power distribution?
No, the LSD has nothing to do with varying levels of torsional deflection on each side. Power distribution is unchanged in the Cadillac solution. It allows a transient variation in in rotational stiffness on each side of the IRS. There is now way to simulate such with any design of the differential/LSD. Completely different animals.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      12-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #38
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

"*ALL* IRS cars are susceptible to wheel hop vibration". Not just IRS...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #39
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I don't have any raw data to back it up but if you look at how it attaches to the alloyed frame, common sense will tell you that it's just there for ornamental purposes..:
Looks good for tension - and some compression - though. The bits that bolt on the back of the alloy brace linking the strut towers to the a-pillar appears to back this up.

The original item in the M235i Racing must have been there for a reason - whether that applies in the M3/4 and M2C is up for grabs.

Last edited by M Fifty; 12-18-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #40
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
having halfshafts of different torsional rigidity.
I knew the loosing traction and regaining (oscillations) was the cause but that is an interesting idea as solution. So the "give" in each shaft is different so that it disrupts the oscillations "wavelength" so to speak? (can't think of the correct term)

Quote:
The original item in the M235i Racing must have been there for a reason - whether that applies in the M3/4 and M2C is up for grabs.

Are you saying the M235i (R) has the carbon strut brace? I don't remember seeing that when I last saw one and isn't it specific for S55?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #41
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I

Are you saying the M235i (R) has the carbon strut brace? I don't remember seeing that when I last saw one and isn't it specific for S55?
RealOEM shows a part the same shape as the CFRP brace, and also indicates that it was superseded by the CFRP item.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_9764
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #42
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
RealOEM shows a part the same shape as the CFRP brace, and also indicates that it was superseded by the CFRP item.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_9764
Very interesting. I do know they also use AP racing or PFC calipers - I am curious the build difference between those and whoever made (brembo?) the 2NH brakes.

The last thing I want is piston boots like this guy (cts V) after only 2 months needing a rebuild (thanks to the bus stop and turn 1 at wg):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #43
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The last thing I want is piston boots like this guy (cts V) after only 2 months needing a rebuild (thanks to the bus stop and turn 1 at wg):
Use Ti shims between the piston and backing plate and also don't run race pad thickness below about 1/3 of new...
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #44
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Feels like there's a lot of flex in the drivetrain to me. My 1st -> 2nd shifts are not very smooth when getting back into power like there's some excessive flex somewhere.

Anyone else have slopping 1st/2nd shifts? I've rowed a lot of gears in my life and don't recall this before.
Appreciate 0