BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition: production, order dates, engine specs & more (pre-launch info)

Closed Thread

11-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #1035
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

I'm tired of waiting, Can't handle the anxiety anymore haha.

Almost bought the facelift RS3 sportback the other day (they have made the front end lighter, reviews indicate its more fun now and the 400hp motor is awesome. But its still no drivers car like an M) the discount I got here in Australia makes it possibly about $40,000 cheaper than what the CS might be. But I'm worried I will make the wrong decision when the Comp or CS comes out.

So... I think I will lease a new Golf R on 3 yrs. Then at the 2 or 3 yr mark get the CS. Whats the expected production run on it 2018 - 2020? Maybe I could pick one up when all the hype dies down and get the last year run?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #1036
walrus
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I was at the dealership today to finalize the paperwork for my LCI, and happened to ask about the Competition Package with my sales associate.

He corroborated the information about new wheels, but couldn't confirm anything about new seats.

In Canada, he says it's looking like it will be about $20,000 CAD more than the current base M2 price (he said it would be around $85K CAD).

Something new he also shared was that the windshield HUD would be an option.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #1037
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
I was at the dealership today to finalize the paperwork for my LCI, and happened to ask about the Competition Package with my sales associate.

He corroborated the information about new wheels, but couldn't confirm anything about new seats.

In Canada, he says it's looking like it will be about $20,000 CAD more than the current base M2 price (he said it would be around $85K CAD).

Your sales associate doesn’t know anything about the Competiton. It isn’t a package anyways, it is a new model.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #1038
walrus
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Your sales associate doesn’t know anything about the Competiton. It isn’t a package anyways, it is a new model.
I don't see how discrediting him based on the semantics of "package" is justified given the information that was relayed.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2017, 01:15 AM   #1039
MrYLT
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53/G05, Porsche 911 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
I'm tired of waiting, Can't handle the anxiety anymore haha.

Almost bought the facelift RS3 sportback the other day (they have made the front end lighter, reviews indicate its more fun now and the 400hp motor is awesome. But its still no drivers car like an M) the discount I got here in Australia makes it possibly about $40,000 cheaper than what the CS might be. But I'm worried I will make the wrong decision when the Comp or CS comes out.

So... I think I will lease a new Golf R on 3 yrs. Then at the 2 or 3 yr mark get the CS. Whats the expected production run on it 2018 - 2020? Maybe I could pick one up when all the hype dies down and get the last year run?
Yes it looks like 2020 will be the last year run for the M2 model with the CSL version launch just before. You can manage having a CS at that moment.

The Golf R can be a very good compromise until you get a CS.

Quote:

$20k more I was expecting 15k but not 20k .
I should save more money. Santa claus will not be happy about that.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #1040
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I don't see how discrediting him based on the semantics of "package" is justified given the information that was relayed.
Wasn’t anything about semantics. Just like any salesman at any BMW dealership, they think they know things...but they really don’t.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #1041
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Wasn’t anything about semantics. Just like any salesman at any BMW dealership, they think they know things...but they really don’t.
sounds like some posters too though
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #1042
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibs67 View Post
Yes it looks like 2020 will be the last year run for the M2 model with the CSL version launch just before. You can manage having a CS at that moment.

The Golf R can be a very good compromise until you get a CS.

$20k more I was expecting 15k but not 20k .
I should save more money. Santa claus will not be happy about that.
$20k more in Canadian dollars. $85k Canadian lines up with the guesses around here of a $60k-$65k US dollars base.
      11-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #1043
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Thanks.

If we compare that info with what's indicated in leaked "M2 Competition" VIN build sheets (see here):
  • the 'M2 Competition' is no "package" or "Competition Package" (ZCP); this car got its own designation: 2U71 for EUR-spec LHD, 2U72 for EUR-spec RHD and 2U73 for USA-spec; 'M2 Competition' is indicated each time, instead of 'M2 CS';
  • wheels: black 437M stock (same as base M2) - 788M optional (new wheel) (option 2QT);
  • seats: sports seats stock (code 481) (same as base M2) - M Sports seats optional (option 712);
  • pricing: no info yet, but we may reasonably expect a price-increase compared to the base M2 price (engine change [from N55 to S55] - 40hp power bump [from 370hp to 410hp]);
  • windshield head-up display: the HUD option (BMW option code 610) doesn't feature in any of the leaked VIN build sheets.
To be fair, I ain't saying that HUD won't be available for the 'M2 Competition'. But I do know that it doesn't feature in any of the leaked VIN build sheets (no trace of option 610). Hence the assumption that - until stated otherwise by BMW - a HUD won't be available for the 'M2 Competition'.

Same goes for the repeated claim that Mineral Grey (paint code B39) will also be available as color for the 'M2 Competition' (see recently for example here and here): if that info comes straight from BMW, then that claim should be considered to be accurate, of course. However, do know that none of the 'M2 Competition' test mules got the Mineral Grey body color - all known cars either got AW, BSM, LBB, Sunset O or HS body colors. Therefore also here the assumption that - until stated otherwise by BMW - Mineral Grey won't be available for the 'M2 Competition'. Hockenheim Silver is expected to be the 'M2 Competition' launch color.

This begs more generally the question whether we can infer from 'M2 Competition' VIN build sheets how that car will be powered and equipped. IMHO, as its genuine information straight from the horse's mouth, it gives us at least a better idea than hard-to-verify rumors. As said before: alike hips, VINs don't lie.
      11-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #1044
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Good summary Artemis...When seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      11-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #1045
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Good summary Artemis...When seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
Looking forward to BMW finally releasing its 'M2 Competition' press release, ending quite a lot of speculation about that car.

Subsequently the 'speculation mill' will change direction towards the M2 CSL winds.

Today's newspaper wraps tomorrow's fish.

Name:  FishWrap.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  27.7 KB
      11-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #1046
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

When does it come out? Just a SWAG
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #1047
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damills View Post
When does it come out? Just a SWAG
FWIW, here's a post of February 2016. Outdated, maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I'm gonna go on record and say there will NOT be an S55 in an M2 period.
Allow me to dig up that record again in, say, Autumn 2017.
Gatte1193.00
      11-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #1048
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FWIW, here's a post of February 2016. Outdated, maybe.
Isn't there a big car show in the first week of December? That's still autumn, correct?
      11-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #1049
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
Isn't there a big car show in the first week of December? That's still autumn, correct?
The M2 was officially presented on October 14, 2015 and on public display during car shows in January 2016.

So let's distinguish 'reveal' and 'car show presentation'.

By the way, FWIW, last month there were also these two posts in this thread by forum fellow MR. hinting to Winter 2017-2018 for reveal (January/February 2018) and car show presentation (mentioning the Geneva International Motor Show = March 8-18, 2018):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///twinTurbo View Post
Any info about the online presentation?
When will it be? :/
The rumors I hear around me are Geneva Motor Show official reveal to the market, that would mean end of January, early February press release reveal and us dropping our orders.
Production starting after Geneva, like end of April or early May... Building up stock like they did with M2 and M4 GTS, and then push the first batch out in one go somewhere end of June, early July...
If you look at previous releases that seems to be the way to go. M3 CS would then be the Detroit and Brussels release together with e.g. the X2, X4 could be at Geneva as well, X7 at Shanghai. i8 and i8 facelift are clearly LA together with the facelifted BMW 2 Series Active Divorce. The Grand Divorce is EOP (luckily).
The other stuff follows later, but this could well be the first part of the year.
MR
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chako View Post
Thanks for the info MR, is the Geneva show not in March however?
Edit: Or are you saying the press reveal will be late January, with it appearing March in the flesh?
Yup it is in March. Press reveal is late January/early February. Look at 5-Series touring which was shown at this year's Geneva show. Same thing!
Geneva would be the public reveal at a car show.
MR
Let's wait and see.
      11-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #1050
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M2 was officially presented on October 14, 2015 and on public display during car shows in January 2016.

So let's distinguish 'reveal' and 'car show presentation'.

By the way, FWIW, last month there were also these two posts by forum fellow MR. in this thread hinting to Winter 2017-2018 for reveal (January/February 2018) and car show presentation (mentioning the Geneva International Motor Show = March 8-18, 2018):

Let's wait and see.
I hope it’s earlier, but it looks like I actually have to be in Geneva March 10-15. Might make that trip much more fun.
      11-07-2017, 01:10 AM   #1051
MrYLT
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53/G05, Porsche 911 SC

Garage List
I hope you are right and the M2 Competition will make its first public reveal during Geneva Motor Show, just because I'm living in the area.
But in fact, what you are saying about press release on late January/February and first deliveries during summer make sense to me. Hopefully, if this is accurate, it will be quite a good timing for me.

Off-topic, last saturday I saw a Sunset Orange M140i at my dealership. It blew my mind. First time I saw one and it is definitely such an amazing color. I totally forget I was there at first to check on the M2.
Can I post few pics of this M140i? Or maybe in the other M2 Competition thread?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #1052
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibs67 View Post
I hope you are right and the M2 Competition will make its first public reveal during Geneva Motor Show, just because I'm living in the area.
But in fact, what you are saying about press release on late January/February and first deliveries during summer make sense to me. Hopefully, if this is accurate, it will be quite a good timing for me.
Forum fellow MR. quoted that timing.

IMHO would be cool if BMW M posts some kind of prequel with M2 Competition test mules, alike the 1M test drives offered to Chris Harris back in 2010:
  • 14 July 2010: Chris Harris on board with Frank Isenberg (BMW M) at the Ascari Race Track (Spain);
  • 2 November 2010: Chris Harris posts a video of his 1M test drive (Germany).
As we speak, still no official news whatsoever from BMW or BMW M about any M2 variant. Compare with the reconstruction of the 1M marketing timeline: see here.
      11-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #1053
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Wife and i just put down a deposit at our local bmw dealer. The latest information on price is that its going to be approximately 40-50% more than the base m2. Which puts it a few points more than base m3.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #1054
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Forum fellow MR. quoted that timing.
The M3 CS was revealed today, much sooner than expected and way off from what was quoted.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 03:55 AM   #1055
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
The M3 CS was revealed today, much sooner than expected and way off from what was quoted.
Initially, it surprised me as well, but then I thought didn't we get the M2 reveal around the same time in 2015 and then the car was shown to the public at Brussels and Detroit for the very first time and not at the LA Motor Show. I still think the public reveal of that thing is ment to be in the Detroit and Brussels.

For now LA is all about BMW i, with the new i8 and i8 Roadster. They will also show the X2 there. Also showing the M3 could well be a bit too much, but I think they will not. The M2 also passed by the LA show two years ago, and I think BMW wants to fully focus on the new M5 which will have its first official debut in the US market at the LA show.

I still believe the M2 Competition release is January/February and then Geneva official reveal.

MR
Appreciate 2
MrYLT146.50
tke743738.50
      11-08-2017, 06:29 AM   #1056
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
...I still believe the M2 Competition release is January/February and then Geneva official reveal...MR
I'm inclined to agree now. I thought the reveal process was initially more akin to the 1M but doesn't seem that way now. So Geneva seems to make sense.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread