BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > I think Tesla will be gone in ten years

Yesterday, 01:24 AM   #4291
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Tesla started at least 10 years ago when German OEM been laughing at Tesla.

No German OEM will overtake Testla in the next couple of years. Made in Germany is know for craftsmanship but definitely not for software development.
Who cares about software development (I say that as a developer)? Making a good electric motor and wiring a bunch of power tool batteries is the most important part of an EV. BMW does need to improve their autonomous driving features as some people seem to care about not driving their cars. Electric motors and battery pack design are things that any large car company could do easily.

The only reason they've been so slow in developing a Tesla killer is because creating a car with a comparable drivetrain while maintaining BMW/Merc quality would make the car cost significantly more than a Tesla. Li-ion batteries are still just way too heavy and expensive. Not sure if you've ever driven or been in a Tesla, but the interiors are significantly worse than any comparably sized and priced car. They feel more like a normal domestic car than a German luxury sedan. What happens when you make a Tesla Model S with an actual luxury interior? You get the Taycan which costs nearly twice as much.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #4292
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieNuo View Post
Tesla is without a doubt ahead of the pack with EV tech, but their still comparable to a small business when you look at total sales. All I'm saying is when the time comes for all other manufacturers to shift 100% of their R&D to EV I don't see them surviving. Manufacturers are watching them play checkers in a game of chess.
Not in actual drivetrain technology. Pseudo self driving capability maybe, but actual EV hardware, not really. Any of the major manufacturers can build a car at less cost than Tesla for the same (low) quality level.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #4293
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Tesla is light years ahead of everyone in electrification, but that doesn't mean the likes of Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and Audi can't use their R&D budgets to catch up. Tesla has done a great job doing all the research and R&D for everyone. It's not always about who's first to market. Who's going to give the customer a better experience is going to be what sells cars.

Android brings new features to market all the time but they're usually never working properly. Apple waits until features have been tested and work as intended before giving the features to customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #4294
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Quote:
Make no doubt about it that if and when Mercedes and BMW decides to overtake Tesla's electric market shares, they will. It's a difficult time for them as they must juggle between millions of gas powered sales and implementing their own electric technology. Most manufacturers are slowly ramping up that portion of their business to coincide with the increased demand of electric cars. You can't expect them to just fully invest in a electric technology when projections are showing that they won't overtake gas powered cars until 2037. As for the Mercedes, I'll simply say numbers don't lie. There's a reason BMW sells more vehicles.

Tesla started at least 10 years ago when German OEM been laughing at Tesla.

No German OEM will overtake Testla in the next couple of years. Made in Germany is know for craftsmanship but definitely not for software development.
Tesla is without a doubt ahead of the pack with EV tech, but their still comparable to a small business when you look at total sales. All I'm saying is when the time comes for all other manufacturers to shift 100% of their R&D to EV I don't see them surviving. Manufacturers are watching them play checkers in a game of chess.
The luxury of "small business" is less "big business" bloat, baggage, and bureaucracy.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #4295
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Not in actual drivetrain technology. Pseudo self driving capability maybe, but actual EV hardware, not really. Any of the major manufacturers can build a car at less cost than Tesla for the same (low) quality level.
If they could... they would.

They aren't.

I'm not a Tesla fanboy and I'll *probably* never get one, but at least I don't just make stuff up to justify my decision.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #4296
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
BMW is little late on 48V system, Mercedes beat them by huge margin.
New C class will give BMW run for its money.
And Tesla is light years ahead of everyone in electrification, but that doesn't mean the likes of Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and Audi can't use their R&D budgets to catch up. Tesla has done a great job doing all the research and R&D for everyone. It's not always about who's first to market. Who's going to give the customer a better experience is going to be what sells cars.

Android brings new features to market all the time but they're usually never working properly. Apple waits until features have been tested and work as intended before giving the features to customers.
Tesla has them all with batteries and their world wide supercharger network.

Tesla is making them all look completely stupid, and that includes BMW.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/21/tesla...ery-elon-musk/
Appreciate 1
jstein553380.50

Yesterday, 01:43 PM   #4297
FrankieNuo
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M Comp RR Velar HSE P380

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:

They aren't.

I'm not a Tesla fanboy and I'll *probably* never get one, but at least I don't just make stuff up to justify my decision.
They absolutely can and would, but 98% of the market shares belongs to gasoline powered vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #4298
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They aren't.

They absolutely can and would, but 98% of the market shares belongs to gasoline powered vehicles.
Going back to my other post about small business... Tesla does not have the baggage that other manufacturers have of already making ICE cars. They can capture the EV segment because they don't have to worry about making an ICE suv for the rest of us.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #4299
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

They aren't.

Well, Sergio Marchionne of Fiat thought differently. The scale at which VW builds multiple models off it's MQB platform has seriously affected every manufacturer's ability to be cost competitive. While Tesla may be able to focus on strictly EV and does not have baggage of 100 year old car companies, it still lacks scale of operation and industrial supply chain. GM has jumped back up to $100M in debt to migrate a large portion of it's fleet to electric and has as much prowesss in EV drivetrain tech as Tesla does. I'm interested to see how it pans out for Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #4300
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

They aren't.

Well, Sergio Marchionne of Fiat thought differently. The scale at which VW builds multiple models off it's MQB platform has seriously affected every manufacturer's ability to be cost competitive. While Tesla may be able to focus on strictly EV and does not have baggage of 100 year old car companies, it still lacks scale of operation and industrial supply chain. GM has jumped back up to $100M in debt to migrate a large portion of it's fleet to electric and has as much prowesss in EV drivetrain tech as Tesla does. I'm interested to see how it pans out for Tesla.
Exactly what I'm saying. It sounds contrary to your post I responded to.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #4301
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly what I'm saying. It sounds contrary to your post I responded to.
Well, as you stated, government mandates are driving the EV market, which is a different business model than just 5 years ago. GM had advanced EV tech more than 30 years ago. GM developed the skateboard EV architecture in the 1980s. TRW invented the parallel hybrid in the early 1970s. They tried to sell the tech to the Big Three. There was no market for it. Toyota adopted the architecture for the Prius 20 years ago. Tesla just used political means to generate a market on the back of the Green Movement and the market getting it's feet wet with the Prius green machine.

GM's EV1 was a reaction to CARB mandates of zero-emission vehicles in Cali.

That's the real history of it.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #4302
SamS
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Even only targeting 2% of the total global vehicle market/customers, you can still suck up the majority of the industry’s profit potential. Apple has shown us that much.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 - sold
2012 M3 coupe - sold
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN2892.00

Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #4303
KRS_SN
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15,F30, F34, E91.

the ev game was all about govt mandate ... much like the push from petrol cars to diesel cars in the uk.10 years ago which has now been reversed!
If you have money invested get out from the ev game. If the EVs were so good there would be mass adoption but there isn't ie fail.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #4304
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
the ev game was all about govt mandate ... much like the push from petrol cars to diesel cars in the uk.10 years ago which has now been reversed!
If you have money invested get out from the ev game. If the EVs were so good there would be mass adoption but there isn't ie fail.
This, this and more this!!!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #4305
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:

Wow.

All this FUD being spread.

Watch the eminent domino effect.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #4306
BimmerDimmer6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Quote:
Quote:
You guys are high. Look at Tesla stock price. It's the future bro.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:16 PM   #4307
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDimmer6 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You guys are high. Look at Tesla stock price. It's the future bro.
My comment had nothing to do with TESLA's stock price and everything to do with MASS ADOPTION.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #4308
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Electrification is the future no matter what company it is from. Get on board or be left out in the cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0