BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Enjoyed the OG M2 more than the Comp!!

11-23-2021, 09:07 PM   #23
pabrognara
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C 21/21

One thing about my m2c, not sure if It is bc is still low mileage (~2000 miles) is that always early morning the car isnt "ready" or is a little cold to perform its best. After heating a bit in the sun the car changes completely.

It always happens in the first ride then It is complete fun!
      11-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #24
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
The OG has a little more tq at a lower RPM due to smaller turbos. It also sounds better...

The Comp is better in every other sense bar none... the top end difference is huge.
You're confused. I've explained this so many times that I've got it ready to copy/paste.

The OG is a better road car, and the M2C is a better track car. End of story.

Here's why...

OG M2 vs M2C

OG M2 Positives (that are either absolute, or most would agree on):
- 121 lbs lighter
- Sounds significantly better
- Visually more pleasing muffler section
- Less expensive MSRP ($5,400), and to buy used
- Less expensive and easier to maintain (especially as the car ages)
- N55 makes more torque down low, and feels like it has more grunt in normal driving
- Significantly less chance of a crank hub failure
- 437M wheels are lighter and more preferred over the 788M wheels
- Can run 18” wheels
- No scoring issues with 19” wheels
- True ceramic street brake pads available
- Slightly better fuel economy
- No OPF
- 1 mpg better highway
- Less emissions
- Many report that the seats in the OG are more comfortable, if not as good looking as the Comp seats.

M2C Positives (that are either absolute, or most would agree on):
- +40 hp and +63 torque
- 2NH brake package is superior for tracked cars
- Better cooling for tracked cars
- Larger front air intakes (to also help with cooling tracked cars)
- Significantly superior power when modified
- Visually more preferred seats, and seatbelts
- M1/M2 buttons/settings
- Front parking sensors added
- Visually more pleasing exhaust tips
- Better and more appealing side mirrors
- Carbon fiber strut tower brace
- Steering, diff, and TC software upgrades (available on OG M2 as well)

The new front end styling is personal preference. Some prefer the older, more classic BMW look of the OG front grill, and some prefer the newer look. Sunset Orange and Hockenheim Silver now available, and Mineral Grey is now gone. Blackline tail-lights are preferred by some.

Obvious Conclusion: The M2 makes a better normally-driven car, and the M2C makes a better track car.
Appreciate 1
DanG10641.50
      11-23-2021, 11:47 PM   #25
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
You're confused. I've explained this so many times that I've got it ready to copy/paste.

Here's why...

OG M2 vs M2C

- 121 lbs lighter
- N55 makes more torque down low, and feels like it has more grunt in normal driving
- Can run 18” wheels
- No OPF
- 1 mpg better highway
- Less emissions
- Many report that the seats in the OG are more comfortable, if not as good looking as the Comp seats.

- +40 hp and +63 torque
- M1/M2 buttons/settings

The new front end styling is personal preference. Some prefer the older, more classic BMW look of the OG front grill, and some prefer the newer look. Sunset Orange and Hockenheim Silver now available, and Mineral Grey is now gone. Blackline tail-lights are preferred by some.

Obvious Conclusion: The M2 makes a better normally-driven car, and the M2C makes a better track car.
Thanks for this, I feel you are spot on especially that low down torque of the OG, I do have the 437 wheels on the M2 Comp (no cost option in Australia)
I loved the OG and the Comp is great also...just lucky to have had the experience with both.
I have noticed significantly worse fuel economy but suspect that is also something to do with my right foot.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6633.50
      11-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #26
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:

Here's why...

OG M2 vs M2C

- 121 lbs lighter
- Can run 18” wheels
- No OPF
- 1 mpg better highway
- Less emissions

- +40 hp and +63 torque
- M1/M2 buttons/settings

Oh boy... that's a hell of a way to make the case for an OG M2.

Do you know what is a far better daily than both of those? An M240i but I sure as hell hope that's not the criteria anyone is using when buying an M2... instead comparing both as "performance" cars solely.

Even with that I could still make a case for the Comp being a better normally driven car... hell some could even make a case for the CS since it has adaptive suspension .

And to point out a couple of your false narratives on an OG being a better normal driven car-

1) Crank Hub - yes it happens in a fraction of percent of cars... guess what? The S55 is still far more reliable... in fact, it's one of BMWs most reliable ever.

2) Wheel comparos are irrelevant as numerous versions of the comp came with 763s... even then these are quickly swappable.

3) N55 - less emissions? What? BMW swapped to the S55 as one of the reasons being emissions... this was reported heavily by numerous sites.

4) New instrument cluster - far better than anything pre LCI for daily driveabiliy

5) The added power may make for a better normally driven car if someone is looking for fun on the hwy and doesn't intend to mod.

6) The Comp is by far the better value - it comes with more and I couldn't even list the amount of things an extra $5400 gets you... even before we mention the better resale value.

Sounds to me like you are looking for an argument... you won't get it with me because your reasoning for choosing an OG over a Comp is well... dumb...
wjones14653.50
hlm2c289.50
M2Crew219.00
BlkSVT388.50
ROBM2C314.00
      11-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #27
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Here's why...

OG M2 vs M2C

- 121 lbs lighter
- Can run 18” wheels
- No OPF
- 1 mpg better highway
- Less emissions

- +40 hp and +63 torque
- M1/M2 buttons/settings

I would take any M2 over no M2, but this above makes a good case for the M2C. I sounds like an improved OG, just like the CS is an improved M2C (although at a much steeper premium). I think $ for $, the M2C is a great value, maybe the best of the 3 M2s
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #28
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh boy... that's a hell of a way to make the case for an OG M2.
Facts tend to do that.

Quote:
Even with that I could still make a case for the Comp being a better normally driven car... hell some could even make a case for the CS since it has adaptive suspension .
No, you can't, and a MPS is much less than the cost difference to a CS, and you can make it just as soft...for a daily driver. Want me to go into detail on the CS about no comfort access, no armrest, etc? I didn't think so.

Quote:
1) Crank Hub - yes it happens in a fraction of percent of cars... guess what? The S55 is still far more reliable... in fact, it's one of BMWs most reliable ever.
Are you a Trump fan? You literally said nothing here. The S55 has had more crank hub failures than the N55, so my point stands.

Quote:
2) Wheel comparos are irrelevant as numerous versions of the comp came with 763s... even then these are quickly swappable.
Most countries got the 437M on the OG, and the 788 on the M2C. My point stands.

Quote:
3) N55 - less emissions? What? BMW swapped to the S55 as one of the reasons being emissions... this was reported heavily by numerous sites.
Wrong again, do more research. But this one I'm not giving to you. Work for it.

Quote:
4) New instrument cluster - far better than anything pre LCI for daily driveabiliy
Nearly identical. Don't believe me? Have a couple of girls drive them back to back and see if they say anything about it. It's something only fanboi's notice (or guys trying to defend the M2C as a better daily, which is, well, stupid.)

Quote:
5) The added power may make for a better normally driven car if someone is looking for fun on the hwy and doesn't intend to mod.
Wrong again. Unless you're way above the speed limit you'll literally notice no difference between the two on the highway.

Quote:
6) The Comp is by far the better value - it comes with more and I couldn't even list the amount of things an extra $5400 gets you... even before we mention the better resale value.
That's only if you sell it. Were we talking about sales? I didn't think so.

Quote:
Sounds to me like you are looking for an argument... you won't get it with me because your reasoning for choosing an OG over a Comp is well... dumb...
Calling me dumb when my argument is absolutely sound and yours is well, useless?

Intelligence must not run in your family.

Keep talking, I'm here all day, and will shut your argument down easily every time.

The OG M2 is the better daily. The M2C is the better track car. These are the facts of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I would take any M2 over no M2, but this above makes a good case for the M2C. I sounds like an improved OG, just like the CS is an improved M2C (although at a much steeper premium). I think $ for $, the M2C is a great value, maybe the best of the 3 M2s
The M2C is NOT an improved M2; it's a different M2, more pointed towards track use...at a cost, so it's NOT a better value for a daily driver, and no one can show that it is.

Not sure how you guys can argue with facts, but there it is, some guys do.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #29
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Facts tend to do that.

No, you can't, and a MPS is much less than the cost difference to a CS, and you can make it just as soft...for a daily driver. Want me to go into detail on the CS about no comfort access, no armrest, etc? I didn't think so.

Are you a Trump fan? You literally said nothing here. The S55 has had more crank hub failures than the N55, so my point stands.

Nearly identical. Don't believe me? Have a couple of girls drive them back to back and see if they say anything about it. It's something only fanboi's notice (or guys trying to defend the M2C as a better daily, which is, well, stupid.)

Wrong again. Unless you're way above the speed limit you'll literally notice no difference between the two on the highway.

Calling me dumb when my argument is absolutely sound and yours is well, useless?

Keep talking, I'm here all day, and will shut your argument down easily every time.

The OG M2 is the better daily. The M2C is the better track car. These are the facts of life.

The M2C is NOT an improved M2; it's a different M2, more pointed towards track use...at a cost, so it's NOT a better value for a daily driver, and no one can show that it is.

Don't we have a OG M2 forum, you know, for people like you?
Appreciate 4
wjones14653.50
hlm2c289.50
M2Crew219.00
BlkSVT388.50
      11-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #30
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

lighten up, Francis. There's no 'facts' for proving what makes a BETTER car, it is all subjective opinions. No need to get all insulting.

I'd say the OG is about the perfect track car, since you can buy it cheap(er), and fix the shortcomings with simple aftermarkets (bigger intercooler, brakes). I didn't want to mess with out-of-warranty so got the M2C, and loving it for sure on both track and street. Best daily would probably be the 235/240. But then again, intelligence doesn't run in my family.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10156.00
      11-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #31
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Saying that one or the other M2 is a better daily driver doesn't hold water. Drivers have different criteria for what is best for their daily needs.The head room on cooling and tuning with the M2C is vastly superior to the N55 version. That doesn't mean that it is not good for a daily driver.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 11-24-2021 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
ASAP10156.00
      11-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #32
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Facts tend to do that.

On that basis, an OG is a pretty poor value for a daily driver. I dont think any M2 owner is buying any flavor of this car because its a great value as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #33
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The OG has a little more tq at a lower RPM due to smaller turbos. It also sounds better...

The Comp is better in every other sense bar none... the top end difference is huge.

Here's why...

OG M2 vs M2C

- 121 lbs lighter
- Can run 18” wheels
- No OPF
- 1 mpg better highway
- Less emissions

- +40 hp and +63 torque
- M1/M2 buttons/settings

Correction: No OPF's on US M2C's, only Euro and BMW increased the boost of the Euro cars to compensate.

If the N55 was still in production after the new emission rules, it would have also had a OPF.
      11-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #34
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Don't we have a OG M2 forum, you know, for people like you?
Yup, and it's a free country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
lighten up, Francis. There's no 'facts' for proving what makes a BETTER car, it is all subjective opinions. No need to get all insulting.
I'm light, 146 this morning.

And I agree that "better" is a subjective term, not an objective term, but if you want to drive an M2 as a daily, I think most would agree, given all the facts, that the M2 is better in that regard than the M2C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'd say the OG is about the perfect track car, since you can buy it cheap(er), and fix the shortcomings with simple aftermarkets (bigger intercooler, brakes).
This is a good point, but it gets lost in the fact that if you buy an OG and then spend money on the intercooler, brakes, power, etc, why not just get the M2C...and have even more of all of that...for the same money...without modifying it? Or better yet, modify it and you've got a real beast on your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Saying that one or the other M2 is a better daily driver doesn't hold water. Drivers have different criteria for what is best for their daily needs.The head room on cooling and tuning with the M2C is vastly superior to the N55 version. That doesn't mean that it is not good for a daily driver.
Sure it holds water, but I'm sure there are some guys out there that want their daily to cost more, have less low-end torque, sound worse, have more maintenance, be harder to change the brake pads on, and a host of other things.

Quote:
On that basis, an OG is a pretty poor value for a daily driver. I dont think any M2 owner is buying any flavor of this car because its a great value as a daily driver.
100% agree. I was only saying that for the large majority, the OG beats the M2C as a daily, just as the M2C beats the OG for a track car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
If the N55 was still in production after the new emission rules, it would have also had a OPF.
But it isn't...

Oh, and to all of you, I love arguing the superior point, so keep them coming
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #35
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Yup, and it's a free country.
So what's the point? To make yourself feel better about your choice? To change anyone's mind (not gonna happen)? Oh, I know, its to troll. Anyone who thinks ANY iteration of the shitty N55 can hold a candle to the S55 is delusional.
Appreciate 1
ROBM2C314.00
      11-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #36
M2Nel
Rep
Drives: M2Comp

I had a DCT OG M2 stage 2 and it never really floated my boat . Now i have a stage 1 M2C 6MT and i love it
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #37
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
100% agree. I was only saying that for the large majority, the OG beats the M2C as a daily, just as the M2C beats the OG for a track car.
It not like some of us had a choice between OG and C! The comp was just the next (better) iteration and we paid a few k more. Who cares? But if it makes you feel better....
Appreciate 5
chris7197334.00
Moflow2484.50
wjones14653.50
W///7485.00
ROBM2C314.00
      11-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #38
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Lol. This thread is what happens when people buy cars they can barely afford… Constantly trying to justify budget stretching. I see this on every enthusiast forum. M2/M2C are great cars - fun! Both are nothing special.
Appreciate 2
wjones14653.50
ROBM2C314.00
      11-24-2021, 01:06 PM   #39
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Lol. This thread is what happens when people buy cars they can barely afford… Constantly trying to justify budget stretching. I see this on every enthusiast forum. M2/M2C are great cars - fun! Both are nothing special.
Whats special?

A 120k gt4 lmao?
      11-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #40
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Have to jump in. Both are special. If you remember the OG M2 made Car and Drivers top 10.

I am of the opinion that both are great daily drivers. Is one better than the other? Probably not. Heck even the general manager of my local BMW dealer (who has owned both) said he couldn’t justify the cost of trading his M2 for an M2C. He told me not to buy an M2C. He wants the latest so now has an M2CS.
Appreciate 1
D22M21372.50
      11-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #41
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I have driven them all in both DCT and Manual (OG M2, M2C & M2CS). All of them are a hoot to drive and all of them look awesome on the road. Pick the one you can afford and be happy. Circumstances brought me to the decision to buy my CS, however I would have been happy with any of them.
JV973304.00
      11-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #42
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
So what's the point? To make yourself feel better about your choice? To change anyone's mind (not gonna happen)? Oh, I know, its to troll. Anyone who thinks ANY iteration of the shitty N55 can hold a candle to the S55 is delusional.
The point was just to state the basic facts.

And you probably need to do a bit more research before you talk about the N55 vs the S55, as they're 98% the same engine...

Oh, I know, it's a troll.

Quote:
It not like some of us had a choice between OG and C! The comp was just the next (better) iteration and we paid a few k more. Who cares? But if it makes you feel better....
I had the choice, and I chose the OG, but who cares, if it makes you feel better?

Quote:
Just in case that was directed to me, I own my OG, and my Exige, and my home. I bought the OG because it fit the bill better.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #43
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
The point was just to state the basic facts.

And you probably need to do a bit more research before you talk about the N55 vs the S55, as they're 98% the same engine...

Oh, I know, it's a troll.
98%? LOL. I guess the N55 being an open deck engine (among other things) and the S55 being closed deck is 2%? Please, come back when you actually know what you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #44
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Id be as happy with an OG as a comp. They are both prettry sweet for different reasons. I do like some things of the comp better than the OG like the seats for example but I am one of the few that actually prefers the look of the front of the og, more classic bmw. I could have bought one and about did but was 45k and I found a comp for 55k and it was worth for having way more warranty and half the amount of miles. I think if the covid/chip shortage thing didn’t happen, the OG would be the best car to buy for the money right now, they would be going for 35-40k right now which would be a bargain. But when prices start going up I think the comp is just a nicer car, fancier if that is the correct word. Regardless, if I had an OG right now I would be as happy.

Lets not talk about being able to afford this or that, we are talking about like $50 more a month for a comp.

The CS however, that is a lot more money but I also disagree that its not worth it, most here are spending thousands on carbon fiber, hoods, wheels and they could have bought the CS.
Appreciate 1
M3R12167.00