BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Overpriced vs The New Normal

11-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
MicahPA
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Overpriced vs The New Normal

I've been looking to pick up a used M2 for a couple of months but the prices just won't seem to break. Would love an M2C but cannot seem to touch one under 60k. I'm okay with paying a fair value for the car, but I'm trying to determine if the current prices are ridiculously overpriced, or is this the new normal and what we should expect moving forward, specifically when it comes to desirable M models such as the M2?

My local dealer just got in an OG 2017 M2 in Long Beach blue with DCT, executive package, and only 16,000 miles on it. Asking $53.991. I don't think in today's market it's an outrageous price, but I'm curious to hear what you all think?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
On the one hand, articles I've read estimates the chip shortage to last no longer than 2022, so there seems to be an end in sight, though still far off.

On the other hand, despite lower production numbers and removal of some features on a number of their models, BMW posted record breaking Q3 revenue results. This could set a dangerous precedent in the future where automakers could artificially create a shortage to increase prices and profit margins knowing that demand is somewhat inelastic, similar to what OPEC does with crude oil.

Just remember that the ultimate goal of a company is to maximize value for their shareholders (with more profits), and you'll easily see where prices will be headed.
Appreciate 4
      11-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #3
MicahPA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post
On the one hand, articles I've read estimates the chip shortage to last no longer than 2022, so there seems to be an end in sight, though still far off.

On the other hand, despite lower production numbers and removal of some features on a number of their models, BMW posted record breaking Q3 revenue results. This could set a dangerous precedent in the future where automakers could artificially create a shortage to increase prices and profit margins knowing that demand is somewhat inelastic, similar to what OPEC does with crude oil.

Just remember that the ultimate goal of a company is to maximize value for their shareholders (with more profits), and you'll easily see where prices will be headed.
Excellent point. It all boils down to supply and demand. At the end of the day, I'm not buying an M2 as an investment. I'm buying it to drive for years to come and plan on holding onto it as long as possible.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2021, 10:30 PM   #4
TheFlyingJohn
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahPA View Post
Quote:

Excellent point. It all boils down to supply and demand. At the end of the day, I'm not buying an M2 as an investment. I'm buying it to drive for years to come and plan on holding onto it as long as possible.
In a similar position as you, shopping for an M4 or maybe an M2, depending on what I can find. In my opinion - which is based on me thinking about stuff - the depreciation clock has essentially been reset by 2 years. A 2019 M2C is the same price today as it was new in 2019. A low mileage 2018 M4 ZCP is the same today as it was in 2019. I don't think we are going to wake up one day and prices will have adjusted back to where we all think they should be. I also don't think prices will keep climbing, I think we're at the top and these cars will follow a normal depreciation curve from here. IMO find a great condition example of what you are looking for that fits your budget and buy. I really don't believe we'll get caught holding the bag on these cars (if we do then we're in a big time recession)
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Great topic!

We are in unprecedented times. We obviously have the chip shortage and global supply chain issues resulting in low supply. We are on the heels of a historic shift or movement towards EV's. Once only embraced by the "tree huggers", now OEM car manufacturers are fully committing. In less than 10 years there will be companies that will not manufacture ICE cars. Pretty crazy!

Then you factor in what could be one of the last great ///M cars and you have a recipe for high resale value.

I over paid for my car in September (EAG) and the prices actually went up a tick since then. We should all hope that this trend continues at least for the M2 market. Look at the 1M, those cars could have been purchased and driven for 10 years not losing a penny. Personally, I would love that.
      11-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingJohn View Post
...the depreciation clock has essentially been reset by 2 years. ...I think we're at the top and these cars will follow a normal depreciation curve from here.
I agree with this sentiment.

My friend bought a used M2 in March 2020, just at the start of the pandemic/shutdown in US. I told him to wait, I thought prices would go down due to the pandemic. Boy was I wrong.

He ignored my advice and bought a mint, bone stock 2018 LCI with 28K miles for $39K.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
Dylanm240
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C, '23 G05 X5

Possible that by the time the chip shortage is over, our electric car future will be here and the used ICE market will continue to rise as a result. Nobody really knows.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
MicahPA
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In a similar position as you, shopping for an M4 or maybe an M2, depending on what I can find. In my opinion - which is based on me thinking about stuff - the depreciation clock has essentially been reset by 2 years. A 2019 M2C is the same price today as it was new in 2019. A low mileage 2018 M4 ZCP is the same today as it was in 2019. I don't think we are going to wake up one day and prices will have adjusted back to where we all think they should be. I also don't think prices will keep climbing, I think we're at the top and these cars will follow a normal depreciation curve from here. IMO find a great condition example of what you are looking for that fits your budget and buy. I really don't believe we'll get caught holding the bag on these cars (if we do then we're in a big time recession)
I agree with finding a good example of exactly what I want and paying for it, regardless of if the cost is more than it would have been 2 years ago. I plan on keeping the car for as long as possible, so a turnaround breakeven isn't a concern for me.

I was seriously considering the one at my local dealership but found out it has a tune and some basic aftermarket parts on it. I'm really skeptical about buying a tuned M2 and would rather wait for something else to turn up.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #9
MicahPA
Rep

I found a local(ish) BMW dealership with a 2019 M2C 20,000 miles, MT, and executive package. Only modification appears to be an akrapovic exhaust. Asking $61,900. In 2019 I would've said the price was crazy, but in today's market this seems reasonable. Anyone have any advice or thoughts on this particular listing? I'm seriously contemplating going to check it out tomorrow. It's the only comp in MT near me that's even close to low $60s.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #10
TheFlyingJohn
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
I found a local(ish) BMW dealership with a 2019 M2C 20,000 miles, MT, and executive package. Only modification appears to be an akrapovic exhaust. Asking $61,900. In 2019 I would've said the price was crazy, but in today's market this seems reasonable. Anyone have any advice or thoughts on this particular listing? I'm seriously contemplating going to check it out tomorrow. It's the only comp in MT near me that's even close to low $60s.
I'm seeing a couple out there for 61-63, less than 15k miles, I can't believe I'm even considering it, but maybe that's where we are.

I've even got a couple OG LCIs on my watchlist, mid-high 50's which is just a tick below original MSRP. One is a CPO though. Could be fun to mod out a 2018 while waiting for this market to stabilize and the G87 to come out.

In general the F87s are starting to tick over F82 prices, maybe they will then hold value better, so I'm leaning towards the 2 over the 4.

Keep us posted, I'm interested in following along others that are going through the same process as I am. People are buying though, cars keep disappearing from my watchlists!

I don't know, feels like buying TSLA or AMZN at the top of a big green candle, been burned on that enough, lol
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #11
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

the problem is more that the USD is utter shit. people are thinking their cars are gaining value.. and their houses.. but its actually just that the $ is completely tanking.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #12
MicahPA
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm seeing a couple out there for 61-63, less than 15k miles, I can't believe I'm even considering it, but maybe that's where we are.

I've even got a couple OG LCIs on my watchlist, mid-high 50's which is just a tick below original MSRP. One is a CPO though. Could be fun to mod out a 2018 while waiting for this market to stabilize and the G87 to come out.

In general the F87s are starting to tick over F82 prices, maybe they will then hold value better, so I'm leaning towards the 2 over the 4.

Keep us posted, I'm interested in following along others that are going through the same process as I am. People are buying though, cars keep disappearing from my watchlists!

I don't know, feels like buying TSLA or AMZN at the top of a big green candle, been burned on that enough, lol
Quote:
Quote:

I ended up passing on this one today. There were a couple of areas where the paint had deep chips on the hood and there was a small dent on the roof. The dealership also couldn't CPO the car due to the aftermarket exhaust. It just didn't feel right and the numbers they gave me were not ideal.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #13
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi

Crazy shortage for supplies

Yup, there is quite a squeeze for parts & supplies of cars.
I sold my 2018 M3C this year for $3K above KBB to my local dealer.
That's how desperate they were for used cars.

By the way, if the trend continues, I will never buy another M3 from BMW. Too thick in the front cowl, too wide and too long.

I may consider an M2 down the road if they don't get any longer and thicker.

Good luck with your search for M2.
      12-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #14
MarlboroM2C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
  [10.00]
2021 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Id grab that deal. The Akra exhaust is worth a good 5k right there. The M2C and the upgrades over the OG with the S55, and other improvements IMHO make that the F87 to have. The 6 spd makes it a no brainer. Don't lose out over a few $k.
      12-24-2021, 06:45 AM   #15
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPassion View Post
Yup, there is quite a squeeze for parts & supplies of cars.
I sold my 2018 M3C this year for $3K above KBB to my local dealer.
That's how desperate they were for used cars.

By the way, if the trend continues, I will never buy another M3 from BMW. Too thick in the front cowl, too wide and too long.

I may consider an M2 down the road if they don't get any longer and thicker.

Good luck with your search for M2.
That's what she said.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #16
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

ahah but with both of those you could have said that since those were in the 200s an they kept going up and up.

I guess we won't know. I sure hope it comes down because I want to get an E46 and the prices are just dumb right now
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #17
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Hey OP, sorry that one didn’t work out for you!

I’ve had my eyes out for a LBB, 6-speed, with sunroof for awhile now. That combo seems rare. I’m narrowing in on an ‘18 LCI that fits the bill. It’s a one-owner and has just under 30K miles on the odometer. It’s listed at $53,xxx on CarMax. The prices you’re seeing are in line with what I’ve been seeing over the past ½ year as well.

My fear is that, by the time the prices settle back down in the distant future, the few good examples that match my desired specs will all have come and gone and I’ll have missed out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #18
MicahPA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
Hey OP, sorry that one didn't work out for you!

I've had my eyes out for a LBB, 6-speed, with sunroof for awhile now. That combo seems rare. I'm narrowing in on an '18 LCI that fits the bill. It's a one-owner and has just under 30K miles on the odometer. It's listed at $53,xxx on CarMax. The prices you're seeing are in line with what I've been seeing over the past ½ year as well.

My fear is that, by the time the prices settle back down in the distant future, the few good examples that match my desired specs will all have come and gone and I'll have missed out.
I'm happy I didn't jump on the first few I looked at. I ended up purchasing a 2018 alpine white with executive package, carbon fiber rear spoiler and mirrors, manual transmission, and only 8,000 miles for $55,900 from BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:58 PM   #19
MP5
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

New member here and a proud new owner of a 2019 M2C. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2017 M2 with 15k miles for $50,500 but backed out due to crappy customer service with the online dealer that had it listed for sale.

I went back to searching and came across a mint 2019 M2C with 6 speed manual, Executive Package and M Drivers Package with only 11k miles at a dealer in FL. I ended up securing the car for $60,400, so I booked a 1 way ticket down to FL with my wife and we drove it 1,500 miles back home to VT. I'm in love with the car and it was an awesome road trip to say the least. Very happy with my purchase and it's a great feeling to be back in a nice car again.

Unfortunately I'll be storing for the winter, so It'll be a long 4 months before it comes back out of my garage. I already ordered an AA equal length mid pipe and Remus Sport Exhaust for it, so I'll also have that to look forward to this spring.
Appreciate 6
(K)1254.00
M3R12164.00
clutchdj1872.50
wjones14649.00
      01-12-2022, 10:18 PM   #20
rdotyan
Rep
Drives: Ford Mustang Mach-E

I'm also trying to make sense of the current reality. Cars listed 10-20% above MSRP that are pre-owned seems to be reality still, and get snatched up within a month (I'm mainly looking for an M240i).

Here's a recent article on what the future may portend for more mass cars (hopefully the enthusiast market stays ok): https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ca...er-11641932894
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #21
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdotyan View Post
I'm also trying to make sense of the current reality. Cars listed 10-20% above MSRP that are pre-owned seems to be reality still, and get snatched up within a month (I'm mainly looking for an M240i).
That was my experience when I was shopping in Nov/Dec. I checked out 3 local M2C's. All of them had sub-10k miles. However, none of them had any sort of PPF, resulting in plenty of rock chips, scuffs and dings. Despite that, all of them were marked up 10-15% over MSRP and all of them sold within 2 weeks of hitting the market. 1 supposedly went into a minor bidding war.

I had to expand my search out of state to locate one in mint condition with 8k miles. I paid over MSRP but walked away with one that still looks/smells brand new and has full front & rear 1/4 panel PPF + ceramic coating + the full gamut of OEM CF exterior trim pieces. It also helped that I was able to unload my 2019 RS5 for $5k over what I paid for it, brand new, nearly 2 years earlier. The used market is just nuts.
chris7197331.50
M3R12164.00
      01-27-2022, 09:10 AM   #22
Roulis
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVibes View Post
It also helped that I was able to unload my 2019 RS5 for $5k over what I paid for it, brand new, nearly 2 years earlier. The used market is just nuts.
How do you compare the RS5 to the M2C?

I thinks the M2C market will cool off the moment the G87 is announced.
Appreciate 0