BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Unpopular opinion

View Poll Results: Do you track your car?
Yes 64 45.39%
No 77 54.61%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

11-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #89
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Because I don't personally feel comfortable with tracking a $60k car. We all have our limits.

I'd much rather track my E36 M3.
My reasoning as well and also why I don't track my M2C.

I'd rather track an NA or NB MX-5, because when I end up crashing it, it's not going to cost a fortune to fix or replace.
Appreciate 2
chris7197322.50
Rundskop148.00
      11-13-2021, 03:53 PM   #90
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
I drove the M2 at the Monticello race track "M Experience" day. That's when I decided that I NEEDED one!
Funny part, I don't track the M2, but my GTI is my track car. LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by Up4speed; 11-13-2021 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #91
R0me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 comp

I haven't tracked my car yet. Problem for me is noise levels for the circuits in my country are ridiculous low, and I'm running almost straightpiped.

My car does not get nannied, even though I bought it used for whopping 120k euros in Denmark. It's tuned, crankhub upgraded, does regular donuts and so on.

Plan is nurburgring next year, need to do other pads, and maybe reinforced brake lines.
I have done fluids, and new 265/295 tires.
Problem is insurance, noise should be okay since my exhaust is valved. Also I feel intimidated by anything other than dry surfaces 😅
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #92
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdiniciu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atruong247 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atruong247 View Post
There are things you say that I agree with, and unfortunately people don't see it that way. To hell with them. The m2 is a terrible GT, commuter, and everyday car.

I bought my m2 as a garage queen and pseudo tracker. I can not, for life of me, drive this thing everyday nor on a 1000mile road trip. That is what the 5 and 8 series is for. This thing can sit in my garage until the owner wants to go do some crazy driving.

If people say they love driving this thing everywhere, oh how limited their perception is and they should, themselves, get over themselves.

As for canyon driving, this thing will slide on those beautiful paved roads. Join me and I will change your perspective on how crazy canyon driving can be. Kudos to the Japanese with their gorgeous mountain passes.
I took a 1500 mile road trip in my M2C and it did just fine.
any car can do a 1500mi road trip. missing the point.
To me a GT is a sports car that's spacious and luxurious, the M2 is the least luxurious of them all. An M8 is a GT car or previous M6s, at least were I grew up - in Europe.

Never thought the smallest and most uncomfortable M car is a GT.
It's got lots of space and it's super comfortable. Sure the seats don't massage you and it doesn't have gesture control but that doesn't make it uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 05:13 AM   #93
pabrognara
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C 21/21

I really dont, but who knows get a chance to. Unfortunately where I live no many options so far.

BTW this car is amazing. I also own a GTI for DD which I always found great (not that M2c can't be used for daily) but this one is a beast and works in every situation especially in town which I never realised It was to. Curiously I dont think M2c goes well in roads, I may prefer a saloon for this matter.

I just cant think about a new m2c driving better than this car. I am sure this will be iconic as the mighty 1M.

Last edited by pabrognara; 11-15-2021 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #94
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I by no means think you're wrong about any of this. But at the same time, there is a pretty good argument that you're missing out on the track experience by bringing a car as valuable to most of us as an M2 Competition. Unless you're absolutely rolling in dough, an M2c is not something you can just write off if you crash it. Furthermore, it does not have the kind of safety equipment that you'd really want for aggressive track driving. You're paying money to drive your car as fast as you want, but you're never going to actually do that with something you really care about.

Again though, look at it another way and you're 100 percent correct with your comment. Plus there's something to be said about driving a fast car on the track rather than a slow one you don't mind crashing. I don't think either perspective is really right or wrong (there's no wrong way to enjoy your car after all) but I don't think it comes down to just a binary decision of either you SHOULD or you SHOULDN'T track your car. There are great arguments for either decision.
I for one have driven many a new BMW on the track. It forces me to be somewhat conservative in my driving style, plus the 1-2 times per year doesn't lead to mastering advanced skills.

A good friend got into track driving even more so, sold his M2C and has a fully track prepped E46 sedan that enjoys pushing it hard around the track. End result, he is both safer and probably cheaper than I. But I can get my M2C need for speed fix at the track and feel its no more risk than inner city commutes or pushing too hard on public roads.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-15-2021, 03:56 PM   #95
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I enjoy driving on the track which is a handful of times each year so far. Mine is modified (id say healthy stage 1) and I like to think I drive it hard. Most M2/C at tracks day I've been to don't seem to be pushing so hard but there are some. I do not begrudge anyone who does not as it is addictive and consumables incur an M tax…especially track pads for 2nh brakes..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0