BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Unpopular opinion

View Poll Results: Do you track your car?
Yes 64 45.39%
No 77 54.61%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

10-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #23
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Nope. I will never track this car. It gets driven on the street and is good on the street. I will probably hoon it every now and then in an empty parking lot but for the most part it's going to spend most of its life operating below the limits.

It's a fun car to drive below the limits. And because it's also very easy to control above the limits, you can take it there for brief moments from time to time without feeling too bad even if you're not on a track.

I get my kicks running in the 24 hours of lemons where I have a dedicated (if slow) race car. I really enjoy racing people wheel to wheel and passing in corners. I want to drive aggressively on the race track and I just don't think i'd get there in my $60K+ street car.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      10-28-2021, 09:52 PM   #24
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Track seems very expensive. Track fees, tires, and brakes come to mind. Certainly something I'd like to experience though.

Those of us in CA can covet the endless canyon roads to get our thrills.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #25
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
I haven't tracked it....yet. However, I've put it through the ringer on many mountain roads.
You're located quite close to Angeles Crest. Lucky.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22586.00
      10-28-2021, 11:29 PM   #26
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

If they intended it to be a track car how come the OG intercooler is terrible?
Appreciate 3
      10-29-2021, 12:04 AM   #27
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I get what you're saying but I'll agree with others. The car is a blast on the street. A couple of backroads and i get my fix

I do want to track maybe once or twice but I'd rather spend the 300+ for a track day on car mods!
      10-29-2021, 12:05 AM   #28
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Maybe I would do it a few times, but probably not given that it’s my daily driver now. I would much rather track something I don’t feel bad about absolutely thrashing. That or a GT3 RS if money is no object.

I’ve done M school and a similar event, so I’m aware the car has capabilities that can’t legally or safely be used on the street. Still, I choose the M car because all other BMWs are too refined and clinical now.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:00 AM   #29
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
I'm torn here. Back when I was tracking and club racing motorcycles regularly, I didn't care much for cars using the tracks. They ripple up corner entries because they brake so much harder with four fat tires making contact compared against a pair of (relatively) skinny Superbike tires.

But now that I own a track worthy car..I want to beat on it where it belongs, but then I'd become who I once despised. Just Kidding, I got over it. I want to do the Bimmer Thermal school first then I'll get mine out at an event with strict passing rules for beginners.
2020 F87 M2 Comp

Last edited by Brandt51; 10-29-2021 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:10 AM   #30
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
I think I understand the OPs message about having the car for the wrong reason. I used to sport a similar feeling towards motorcycles. They're so easy to go fast on. especially sport bikes, but hell with that! The track is more fun and considerably safer. It was a fast realization to do all the fun stuff on the track and just commute on the street. Live longer for sure.

The risk of dying or getting seriously hurt fooling around in a car on the street isn't as high as motorcycles, but the risk remains. But at trackday, there's no legal consequences (usually) and you can push it as much as you want. Or don't, they run groups for most skill levels. You could have an RB16 F1 car and still cruise in a beginner group safely with established rules to keep everybody safe.

Oops, sorry. Didn't to be a nerd about safety or hood ratting it up on the street in the M2C, its your life, make it fun.
2020 F87 M2 Comp

Last edited by Brandt51; 10-29-2021 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #31
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Shouldn't crap takes like this being done via youtube/tiktok?
Get the full craptastic effect that way.

Have tracked every sporty car I've owned to this point and plan to with the M2C, but No is the obvious answer to this crap hot take thread.
      10-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #32
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I will add that whether you track your M2C is your decision. I do have a friend whose e92 M3 has never seen the rain let alone a track. He's missing out on the full enjoyment of the car.

However, it is a relatively safe and legal way to explore what the M2C is capable of and to improve your driving skills for spirited driving and even daily commutes!

PS: It's probably a wash in $ compared to M Schools (depending on # of events and how deep you go down the mod hole...), but you get more time in HPDEs and more out of it, assuming a good group and instructor.

For those that have been there/done that in other cars, great, but again you're missing out exploring what the M2C can do.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #33
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Track seems very expensive. Track fees, tires, and brakes come to mind. Certainly something I'd like to experience though.

Those of us in CA can covet the endless canyon roads to get our thrills.
And not only that, you can't keep anything nice that's tracked, it'll get beat the hell up in short order.

And your resale falls to the floor.

And it's literally, for most people, not as fun. Yes, you're pushing the car harder, closer and at times beyond its limits, but the heat, the helmet, it's nothing like a nice back-roads blast ALONE with the wind in your hair.

Tracks are for numbers chasers and adrenaline junkies IME.

Last edited by VisualEcho; 10-29-2021 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9698.00
ASAP10131.00
Moflow2484.50
      10-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #34
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You're located quite close to Angeles Crest. Lucky.
Yes sir! I love that drive!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #35
dblm
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
And not only that, you can't keep anything nice that's tracked, it'll get beat the hell up in short order.

And your resale falls to the floor.

And it's literally, for most people, not as fun. Yes, you're pushing the car harder, closer and at times beyond its limits, but the heat, the helmet, it's nothing like a nice back-roads blast ALONE with the wind in your hair.

Tracks are for numbers chasers and adrenaline junkies IME.
The M2C is my first RWD and shall we say premium car. I think if you dont take it to the track you are missing out on how capable this car can be. I had never been on the track before never mind drive a higher hp RWD car before. I've learned slowly to drive the car faster and faster around the track (I'm by no means a pro drive or anything). It would be nice to drive it on some mountainous roads and road trips but I dont quite understand the comments about driving the hell out of it while not being on the track. Where are you exactly driving the hell out it? On public roads? That doesn't sound too safe with a 400+ hp car. We dont get jail time here in Canada for excessive speeding I believe, but it will be an automatic impoundment of the car with license suspension if you get caught. Anyhow, I guess different preferences for different folks, but I just wanted to chime in to say taking it to the track would be a fun experience for sure. I have purchased a dedicated set of wheels and tires for the track and some race pads (w Break fluid change). I also put aside money at the end of each month for my tracking budget the following year so that I can go the track if I want to...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:18 PM   #36
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I have never tracked a car, but I love go-karting so I definitely want to try sometime.

It's the costs involved when using my own car that discourages me..tires, brakes, and the big one INSURANCE, I think the last time I looked it was like $500 for one day of track insurance with a big deductible.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #37
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblm View Post
I think if you dont take it to the track you are missing out on how capable this car can be.
Of course you are, but capability doesn't = fun, and to be honest, the M2 gets pretty beat up at the track in stock and nearly stock form, so if that's your game, happily play it.

Quote:
I dont quite understand the comments about driving the hell out of it while not being on the track. Where are you exactly driving the hell out it? On public roads? That doesn't sound too safe with a 400+ hp car.
Yes, on public roads. But it's not like you think. I live in a small town, and super close to some fantastic back-roads where I can experience my cars in the twisties with no one else on the road. Of course, I'm not driving at 10/10ths, but I don't do that on track either, as my goal is always to have fun with my cars, not to chase numbers.

Quote:
Anyhow, I guess different preferences for different folks.
Yes, please remember that.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #38
dblm
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Of course you are, but capability doesn't = fun, and to be honest, the M2 gets pretty beat up at the track in stock and nearly stock form, so if that's your game, happily play it.

Yes, on public roads. But it's not like you think. I live in a small town, and super close to some fantastic back-roads where I can experience my cars in the twisties with no one else on the road. Of course, I'm not driving at 10/10ths, but I don't do that on track either, as my goal is always to have fun with my cars, not to chase numbers.

Yes, please remember that.

All good Visual. There will always be someone faster and slower than you on a general track day or open lapping day or whatever I would think. Both driver ability and obviously car capability need to be considered. But yes, my definition of fun might be different than yours. I'm sure a GT3 Pcar will be a crazy experience to drive with that NA engine too, but for me the turbo charged M2 is a pretty fun car to drive, especially with the amount of torque it has, and from what I've seen in my own local track is plenty capable too.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:31 PM   #39
bogdiniciu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS

Garage List
2020 M2 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
The M2C is my first RWD and shall we say premium car. I think if you dont take it to the track you are missing out on how capable this car can be. I had never been on the track before never mind drive a higher hp RWD car before. I've learned slowly to drive the car faster and faster around the track (I'm by no means a pro drive or anything). It would be nice to drive it on some mountainous roads and road trips but I dont quite understand the comments about driving the hell out of it while not being on the track. Where are you exactly driving the hell out it? On public roads? That doesn't sound too safe with a 400+ hp car. We dont get jail time here in Canada for excessive speeding I believe, but it will be an automatic impoundment of the car with license suspension if you get caught. Anyhow, I guess different preferences for different folks, but I just wanted to chime in to say taking it to the track would be a fun experience for sure. I have purchased a dedicated set of wheels and tires for the track and some race pads (w Break fluid change). I also put aside money at the end of each month for my tracking budget the following year so that I can go the track if I want to...
Well said and that's exactly my point.

If you are not "at least once" taking your car to a track (or similar) event you are missing out big time on what the car can do.

I drove very stupidly fast on the road for many years and even was on probation because of that and I can tell you that even when you think you are pushing the car you're not really.

$$$ wise, I ran an entire season of autox at $45 an event and got about 50% left on tires, and breaks are fine. Track events will be more expensive but worth at least a few times a year to get the "need for speed" out of the system.

P.S. To the people who got triggered at the suggestion that you are missing out on what your car can do - oh well
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #40
bogdiniciu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS

Garage List
2020 M2 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Nope. I will never track this car. It gets driven on the street and is good on the street. I will probably hoon it every now and then in an empty parking lot but for the most part it's going to spend most of its life operating below the limits.

It's a fun car to drive below the limits. And because it's also very easy to control above the limits, you can take it there for brief moments from time to time without feeling too bad even if you're not on a track.

I get my kicks running in the 24 hours of lemons where I have a dedicated (if slow) race car. I really enjoy racing people wheel to wheel and passing in corners. I want to drive aggressively on the race track and I just don't think i'd get there in my $60K+ street car.
On of my bucket list items is the 24 hours of lemons .
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #41
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
I by no means think you're wrong about any of this. But at the same time, there is a pretty good argument that you're missing out on the track experience by bringing a car as valuable to most of us as an M2 Competition. Unless you're absolutely rolling in dough, an M2c is not something you can just write off if you crash it. Furthermore, it does not have the kind of safety equipment that you'd really want for aggressive track driving. You're paying money to drive your car as fast as you want, but you're never going to actually do that with something you really care about.

Again though, look at it another way and you're 100 percent correct with your comment. Plus there's something to be said about driving a fast car on the track rather than a slow one you don't mind crashing. I don't think either perspective is really right or wrong (there's no wrong way to enjoy your car after all) but I don't think it comes down to just a binary decision of either you SHOULD or you SHOULDN'T track your car. There are great arguments for either decision.

Last edited by Moflow; 10-29-2021 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #42
2nd chance
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

I took mine (4000km on the ODO) to Spa. Had a blast in the rain (cuz Belgium). That same afternoon 2 brand new M4's were totalled.
That got me thinking... I just love that car (OG) and already wrecked my first one as you know.
Now I track BMW- owned M products. Much cheaper and I can go all the way without restraint!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #43
dblm
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I by know means think you're wrong about any of this. But at the same time, there is a pretty good argument that you're missing out on the track experience by bringing a car as valuable to most of us as an M2 Competition. Unless you're absolutely rolling in dough, an M2c is not something you can just write off if you crash it. Furthermore, it does not have the kind of safety equipment that you'd really want for aggressive track driving. You're paying money to drive your car as fast as you want, but you're never going to actually do that with something you really care about.

Again though, look at it another way and you're 100 percent correct with your comment. Plus there's something to be said about driving a fast car on the track rather than a slow one you don't mind crashing. I don't think either perspective is really right or wrong (there's no wrong way to enjoy your car after all) but I don't think it comes down to just a binary decision of either you SHOULD or you SHOULDN'T track your car. There are great arguments for either decision.

Yes, to your point there may not be a wrong or right decision here. Lots of grey in the decision : - ) As much as I like my M2C and I have worked hard to be able to afford it actually (in my 40's now and could finally afford one), I also realize I need to experience life to its fullest where it makes sense for me.

To be honest with you guys, when I first got the car and after the break in service, it came really apparent that I wasn't able to speed too much with the car on the street or I would get in trouble really fast. I mean, most modern cars even the economies are quite quick now compared to few years back. So for me to enjoy the car I needed to take it to the track. I was amazed at how the driving experience is different on the street vs the track and to "bogdiniciu's" point just b/c a car handles really well or something on the street doesnt mean it is at the same level on the track. This is why I realized I need to learn to drive the car better and get to know it rather than just mash the pedal like you can with an AWD or FWD cars that I had before and the LSD/torque vectoring will just get you out of the corner.

On the risk side, totally agree with you. If you cant pay to play then you may not want to go to the track too often. Even if you are doing everything right someone could slam into you or rear end you. Now you have to deal with insurance, and all consequences that go with it. But if you don't take the car to the track, and this was my thought process, you may not experience going 200km an hour on the straight and then breaking hard to 60 km before taking a sharp right onto the next straight. At least to me, or for me, I can never do that on public roads. So it makes much more sense to do it on the track but with some definite risks involved.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #44
dblm
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd chance View Post
I took mine (4000km on the ODO) to Spa. Had a blast in the rain (cuz Belgium). That same afternoon 2 brand new M4's were totalled.
That got me thinking... I just love that car (OG) and already wrecked my first one as you know.
Now I track BMW- owned M products. Much cheaper and I can go all the way without restraint!

Point taken man! I try to stay away from the rain.
Appreciate 0