BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > New owners…how’s it going?

07-26-2021, 01:29 AM   #23
workerONE
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, GTI Stage 3

After 6 months I realize I made the right choice in the M2C. On the right road the car feels perfectly balanced. I see in the M2C the advancements that have been made in the last 20 years. Most cars aren't this fast. If you want a 350hp 718 Cayman (they are lighter) you're going to pay much more.

edit: always sort of wish I'd got the manual even though I like the DCT so much.

Last edited by workerONE; 08-23-2021 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-26-2021, 07:14 AM   #24
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
Conclusion: This is the only car under 90k that can do everything I need it to do. I want a sports car that can be a daily driver and one that doesn't attract too much unwanted attention. This is it. In total I've spent about $80,000 on this car when you factor in PPF, ceramic, M performance carbon bits, exhaust, 763 wheels, etc. I'm still working on making this car sound good, and once that's figured out it will be a 9/10 from me.
Not sure how you spent $80k, but you're right, at $80k there are many other cars that are faster. At mid $50k price point, I don't think there is anything as fun as the M2.

I'm 2 months in with my M2 6 speed, and I love the car. Sure, it isn't as fast as my F80c was, but its more than enough. Love the 6 speed, and although it isn't anywhere near as quick to shift as the DCT in my old F80, its much more fun. I see myself keeping this car for a while
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #25
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Not sure how you spent $80k, but you're right, at $80k there are many other cars that are faster. At mid $50k price point, I don't think there is anything as fun as the M2.

I'm 2 months in with my M2 6 speed, and I love the car. Sure, it isn't as fast as my F80c was, but its more than enough. Love the 6 speed, and although it isn't anywhere near as quick to shift as the DCT in my old F80, its much more fun. I see myself keeping this car for a while
with all the overpriced bmw carbon parts, some nice m 763 parts, PPF, its not very hard to go from 63k to 80k.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #26
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 comp, LBB

Quote:

You must not know about m performance parts/carbon. Frozen gold wheels are over 5000 alone. Ppf, ceramic, tint is 5000. Exhaust system is 5000.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #27
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
You must not know about m performance parts/carbon. Frozen gold wheels are over 5000 alone. Ppf, ceramic, tint is 5000. Exhaust system is 5000.
I guess that's where the problem is. As I said, at $80k, there are a lot of choices that are better than the M2. At $55-60k, its a great value.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
chris7197332.50
      07-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #28
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Only issues I have is the small gas tank and the sound. Coming from ford 302 V8's the sound will always be annoying, but otherwise I love this car and will be keeping it.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #29
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I guess that's where the problem is. As I said, at $80k, there are a lot of choices that are better than the M2. At $55-60k, its a great value.
What car at 80k is better than M2? Keep in mind 80k is my OTD price including tax, PPF/ceramic/tints, and an exhaust. All these things I would have to do any car (except maybe exhaust depending on the car).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 03:32 PM   #30
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
What car at 80k is better than M2? Keep in mind 80k is my OTD price including tax, PPF/ceramic/tints, and an exhaust. All these things I would have to do any car (except maybe exhaust depending on the car).
1. Corvette- a whole different league
2. Alfa 4 cheese
3. New M3/4 if you can live with the styling and go lightly on the options
4. Camaro ZL1
5. C63

I have more if you'd like. Again, nothing against the M2, I own one, but its not an $80k car, and that's what you were complaining about in your post. I have never felt that any of the mods you describe "would have to be done to any car" are necessary whatsoever, but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:34 PM   #31
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
2. Alfa 4 cheese
4. Camaro ZL1
5. C63

I have more if you'd like. Again, nothing against the M2, I own one, but its not an $80k car, and that's what you were complaining about in your post. I have never felt that any of the mods you describe "would have to be done to any car" are necessary whatsoever, but to each their own.
Interestingly enough I looked at all those cars except the alpha. I even almost bough the ZL1. Let me tell you why I didn't buy those vs M2.

1) c8 - no back seats, those were a must for me so I can take a child. Also I'm in metro detroit where the c8 is made and there's tons of GM employees. Literally every other person has one. Doesn't feel as special or rare. It is in a different league performance wise. Also no manual transmission.

2) Alfa - not interested

3) New m3 - it's too boring, grill looks terrible, too heavy. It's just a fast car that handles good for it's weight. No manual transmission. Just didn't seem as fun as a manual M2.

4) ZL1 - this was a tough choice, see this post here. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1715565

5) C63s - I priced this out and it above 90k with options, and add in tax/PPF I'd be in the six figure range. Everything else I liked about this car. Still didn't have manual.

Overall out of those 5 the ZL1 was the one I was considering and you're welcome to read the link above for why I picked the M2c over it.
Appreciate 2
imOFP209.00
      07-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #32
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep

Quote:
Interestingly enough I looked at all those cars except the alpha. I even almost bough the ZL1. Let me tell you why I didn't buy those vs M2.

1) c8 - no back seats, those were a must for me so I can take a child. Also I'm in metro detroit where the c8 is made and there's tons of GM employees. Literally every other person has one. Doesn't feel as special or rare. It is in a different league performance wise. Also no manual transmission.

2) Alfa - not interested

3) New m3 - it's too boring, grill looks terrible, too heavy. It's just a fast car that handles good for it's weight. No manual transmission. Just didn't seem as fun as a manual M2.

4) ZL1 - this was a tough choice, see this post here. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1715565

5) C63s - I priced this out and it above 90k with options, and add in tax/PPF I'd be in the six figure range. Everything else I liked about this car. Still didn't have manual.

Overall out of those 5 the ZL1 was the one I was considering and you're welcome to read the link above for why I picked the M2c over it.
Again, I'm happy that you're now happy with the M2, but you were complaining complaining about the $80k you spent, and all I'm saying is that for $80k I'd have something else. For mid $50s which is what I paid for mine and didn't feel it needs $20k worth of useless to me crap, I think its a great value. And for the record, the Alfa is amazing, you should drive one. If it was in the budget, I would've bought one, automatic and all.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #33
Capt Canuck
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: EX. '21 BMW M2C

Since I only really watch Catchpole/Harris/Throttle House/Savage Geese videos and did my due diligence mainly in the engine/recalls areas, I was oblivious to the 'crooked seat' thing, until I started putting the miles on.

I'm still struggling to find the 'ideal' driving position (assume I will have one for sporty/track and one for daily/motorway) and I thought that was what seemed a wee bit off but no it's actually a thing. Found some good threads with some suggestions to get really hunkered down, cause after covering ~1000 miles in 3 days while getting up to and past the break-in service, the seating position is only real FFS issue with the car right now.

All the other known quirks are what they are, but that one was one I hadn't accounted for, especially after having the initial 200 miles of driving and finding what I thought was a good set up for canyon carving, but definitely NOT for properly long journeys.

Other niggle that is hardly the end of the world is that the bottom display is obscured by my steering wheel height. Feels like I have to have it sit in my lap, to clearly see. Don't think my inseam vs torso veers that much to circus sideshow proportions, but ya there ya go!
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
imOFP209.00
      07-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #34
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

All of my friends think I’ve turned into an “insufferable fanboy” and won’t hang out with me anymore.

10/10
Appreciate 4
Foggins1331.50
happyjack1657.00
imOFP209.00
Clippy55.50
      07-26-2021, 10:44 PM   #35
Puppetz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
Picked mine up on June 26 and only have 600 miles on it. However, that is more than enough miles to know this is one special ride. Can’t get enough seat time and waiting to make it through the break in period is excruciating!! At night time once the kids and wife are a sleep I get out and drive the empty roads for a while, windows down and no radio needed.
This car does get a lot of attention from car guys and bimmer fans so be ready to talk it up and be an ambassador!! Stopped to get gas, be ready to talk. Stopped at a light, be ready to talk. Keep your windows down and you will meet a lot of nice new friends.
Very happy to say the M2C is living up to expectations. Totally worth the journey - several years of researching the car, and the long wait between purchase and delivery. The point about attention wasn't something I was totally ready for. This is the first 'sporty' car for me. I went with LBB, and I keep it washed and glossy pretty much all the time, as one of my newly acquired COVID hobbies was learning how to detail. From most drivers, I get no reactions, and that suits me just fine. They are in their world, and I am in mine. I'm just another car on the road. There are definitely some that are aware of the car, or are just admirers of what they see. I do my best to be courteous; either chatting if stopped somewhere, or waving back while on the road. I've had some interesting discussions with some folks, and it's more about an appreciation for the car or the type. However, there is also the occasional young punk out there who feels like they have something to prove. I've had this happen a few times where they might want to race you off of a red light, or ride your tail to get you to engage. Maybe I don't appreciate the "Fast and the Furious" movies enough to either wreck my ride, or be responsible for then wrecking theirs, but I could do without them. Overall I've had more positive than negative interactions regarding the car. Many happy miles to us all.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-26-2021, 10:44 PM   #36
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

One week and fifty miles in, I have no comment. Should have it back from my detailer tomorrow night or wednesday morning. Then break-in begins, haven’t seen it since I picked it up from the dealer and then dropped it off last Tuesday.
Foggins1331.50
      07-27-2021, 12:06 AM   #37
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
This might be a little unfair to the M3. It doesn't just handle well for it's weight, it handles significantly better (objectively, anyway) than any M2 iteration. It does come with a manual also, btw. Not saying it's a better car, but it certainly offers a lot for the price.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-27-2021, 07:42 AM   #38
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

7000 miles in about 4 months, 4 track weekends. Loving it more and more each time I drive it. It really is so at home on track, which is why I moved up from my 228. Biggest surprise was that the seats got more comfortable over time - I bought it w/o ever sitting in one, and worried they would be too tight, but long before I hit break-in mileage they feel just right, really hold you in place very well. I continue to be surprised by how many positive comments I get at gas stations or parking lots, often from clearly non-BMW people; way more than I ever got with the 228. Downsides are the small gas tank, inability to adjust in more front camber, and the inability to run 4-point quickfit harness with stock seats. Oh, and I'd like to beat the guy who machined that shallow groove behind the spokes on the 788's.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #39
AJAXF1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp HKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Oh, and I'd like to beat the guy who machined that shallow groove behind the spokes on the 788's.
The one that requires you to wrap your finger in microfiber to clean it out? The ONLY complaint I have about these wheels is that god damn groove! I can deal with cleaning brake dust weekly but holy hell my fingers take a beating from that groove.
Appreciate 2
Foggins1331.50
Maynard3833.00
      07-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #40
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
2. Alfa 4 cheese
4. Camaro ZL1
5. C63

2) Alfa - not interested

The m3 does come with a MT, not that it matters for you now that you have the m2.
Appreciate 1
chris7197332.50
      07-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #41
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Only in the Non Comp model though
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #42
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The m3 does come with a MT, not that it matters for you now that you have the m2.

I know, however the non comp only has it and that version is a big downgrade from the comp from everything I saw online.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #43
Yak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Did any of the six speed manual owners notice that it took between 500-600 miles before it was easy to shift through all the shifter gates?
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      07-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #44
Dave H in NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
Did any of the six speed manual owners notice that it took between 500-600 miles before it was easy to shift through all the shifter gates?
Yes, definitely. Reverse took a serious snapping action to engage. Very smooth now at 1500 miles.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50