BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Used M2 Comp - Is the market pricing these correctly?

04-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #45
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM3 View Post
I personally can't see these pricing holding up. The discount used vs new just isn't there.

The quote I got for new was $64.5k (tax included, etc..)

All used with 9k-20k miles falling in $55k-$59k range.

I've been wanting to pull the trigger for about a month but it's going to be a daily for me and prefer a DCT, haven't had one with the specs I want pop up, and now the prices just seem too high.

One thing I was thinking about was just taking over a lease and doing the payoff at $36k.
The thing is, there really is not much "new" out there. Soon there will only be "used" and the priecs should stagnant across competitions. At that point it will be a matter of wanting one or not and this used vs new discussion will be over soon. A good way to see if a car will hold it's value well is by looking at the lease prices, and the M2C and CS lease horribly - which is a good sign for owners.
Appreciate 1
COChris887.50
      04-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #46
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Gentlemen,

Can I suggest something perhaps a bit heretical? The prices you are seeing for used M2C have nothing to do with fundamentals - meaning, end-of-production, S55, fear of G87 suck-i-tude, etc., etc. While it would be wonderful to believe that somehow our beloved M2C's have defied the iron law / slope of performance car depreciation curves, I don't believe it is so.

Instead, COVID has severely impacted the available supply of durable goods. If you go back to high school economics, the supply shock from COVID has resulted in the aggregate supply curve shifting to the left. The Fed, meanwhile, has done a relatively respectable job of maintaining aggregate demand - so in your graph, hold the downward sloping aggregate demand curve constant. If you do this, you will see on the y-axis that price simply shifts up. That is what has happened here.

Other highly visible durable goods prices haven't risen, because these are fixed prices. For example, Home Depot is not going to charge you more for that fridge or dish washer. Prices in retail durable goods are largely fixed by the big box retailers. So, even though demand has remained fixed, and supply has contracted, price hasn't risen - instead, there are shortages. When prices are fixed in the face of supply constraints, shortages arise. Again, we could easily see it on a supply / demand graph, but a bit harder to explain via text. So, when my wife and I recently tried to buy new washer/dryer, new fridge, new stove, and new range hood, in some cases we had to wait months, whereas before COVID supply shock, you could have purchased and installed next day.

Car pricing, on the other hand, is highly flexible. We haggle over the price, both used and new. So, the supply shock simply results in higher prices for both used and new cars.

As many others have mentioned, pre-COVID supply shock, many forum members were receiving 10% off MSRP for new M2C.

And, just to hammer the point home, this is not unique to the M2C, nor to BMW, nor to performance cars. My buddy purchased a Hyundai Santa Fe pre-COVID. Once the supply shock hit, dealerships started calling him out of the blue as they were running out of cars to sell. He ended up selling the Santa Fe back to the dealership, having driven it several thousand miles, and made a $2k profit on the sale.
This here. The whole market is impacted the same way, not just our beloved M2s. I know a few people whose leases (not just BMW) are coming to end and and they bought out the leases, only to take the car to Carmax the next day to sell them for a huge "profit". Its happening, enjoy it (or not) while it lasts, but its gonna go away just like it came...
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #47
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I dunno but if u ran a cars.com search right now... used 2019s and 2020s are in some cases over new prices lol.
      04-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #48
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
This here. The whole market is impacted the same way, not just our beloved M2s. I know a few people whose leases (not just BMW) are coming to end and and they bought out the leases, only to take the car to Carmax the next day to sell them for a huge "profit". Its happening, enjoy it (or not) while it lasts, but its gonna go away just like it came...
Yep, just spoke to a good friend of mine who works at a BMW dealership (unfortunately they only get one "M" allocation and it was for the M5, so he couldn't fit me in an M2 allocation. Tried doing a dealer swap, and no dealer is swapping their M2 allocation.)

In any case, he said that he can see this entire "bubble" last at least another year to a year and a half. Major shortage in inventory and a major shortage in chips is a recipe for prices just going up all over. He doesn't see them catching up for at least another year. Couple that with Carvana, Vroom, Carmax, etc... all offering a lot higher amount for used cars as well.

Conclusion is if you have a trade in, the price of the used M2 evens out as you will get more for your trade in.

If you don't have a trade in, you can most likely drive the car around for a year and still come out close to even rather than the massive hit that you normally see when you drive off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #49
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I dunno but if u ran a cars.com search right now... used 2019s and 2020s are in some cases over new prices lol.
I did a search on Autotrader a few weeks back in the nation:

Average selling price: $57k
Average mileage: 10k
Inventory: 66 (a few were excluded because of CS/salvage title)

Officially am out of the search for an M2c until prices become reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #50
popcornten
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 981.1 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
I did a search on Autotrader a few weeks back in the nation:

Average selling price: $57k
Average mileage: 10k
Inventory: 66 (a few were excluded because of CS/salvage title)

Officially am out of the search for an M2c until prices become reasonable.
Did you find a significant difference in manual vs DCT list prices?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #51
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornten View Post
Did you find a significant difference in manual vs DCT list prices?
I can’t say with confidence because I wasn’t tracking that, but honestly not from what I did see. If you’re really curious and more people would appreciate that data (I’ll do a percentage of DCT vs. manual as well) I don’t mind doing it to help forum members.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #52
popcornten
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche 981.1 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
I can’t say with confidence because I wasn’t tracking that, but honestly not from what I did see. If you’re really curious and more people would appreciate that data (I’ll do a percentage of DCT vs. manual as well) I don’t mind doing it to help forum members.
Don’t do a bunch of work on it, I was just thinking that spending $3k for the DCT doesn’t really change the PO pricing - manual and DCT might all be similar prices used. So maybe a better deal to buy DCT used if it’s similar cost to a manual.

I ordered DCT so let me know where to burn my $3k
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:04 AM   #53
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Don’t do a bunch of work on it, I was just thinking that spending $3k for the DCT doesn’t really change the PO pricing - manual and DCT might all be similar prices used. So maybe a better deal to buy DCT used if it’s similar cost to a manual.

I think it depends on the buyer. For example, I filtered 6MT out by default because my wife does not drive stick. Then you have someone else who is on the opposide sides and only filters for 6MT. Prices could swing dramatically based on color combos, options, mods, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:54 AM   #54
dmcM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Quote:
Don't do a bunch of work on it, I was just thinking that spending $3k for the DCT doesn't really change the PO pricing - manual and DCT might all be similar prices used. So maybe a better deal to buy DCT used if it's similar cost to a manual.

I think it depends on the buyer. For example, I filtered 6MT out by default because my wife does not drive stick. Then you have someone else who is on the opposide sides and only filters for 6MT. Prices could swing dramatically based on color combos, options, mods, etc.
Don't forget that the transmission isn't always listed properly on those sites. The 6mt is, but 3 years of watching I saw plenty of times where it was listed a manual and when you look that photos it's dct.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #55
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC135i View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Don't do a bunch of work on it, I was just thinking that spending $3k for the DCT doesn't really change the PO pricing - manual and DCT might all be similar prices used. So maybe a better deal to buy DCT used if it's similar cost to a manual.

Don't forget that the transmission isn't always listed properly on those sites. The 6mt is, but 3 years of watching I saw plenty of times where it was listed a manual and when you look that photos it's dct.
Yeah it's really irritating that they are cross listed like this.

Instead of manual or automatic option there should be a "clutch pedal" option to filter manual cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #56
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post

Instead of manual or automatic option there should be a "clutch pedal" option to filter manual cars.
Well, the DCT is a manual without a third pedal, but an extra clutch, so I can see sales guys taking the liberty to list it as a manual. I've seen that a lot with the M2s listed where there are listed as manual and they are DCTs
Appreciate 1
Davil6333.50
      04-20-2021, 07:55 AM   #57
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
BTW, M2 inventory has dried up completely around here. There were always a couple around...no more
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #58
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BTW, M2 inventory has dried up completely around here. There were always a couple around...no more
Few in the Chicagoland area, but pretty dry here as well. Although they're sitting now, they've been sitting at the dealership for over a month
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #59
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM3 View Post
Few in the Chicagoland area, but pretty dry here as well. Although they're sitting now, they've been sitting at the dealership for over a month
Are you referring to new or used? I picked mine all the way from 5 states over because there was nothing locally that made any sense a few weeks ago. I only see 2 new ones in a 100 mile radius from here (Chicago suburbs) and 5 used ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #60
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I purchased my 2020 M2C in April of 2019 for $61.500.
Same area (different dealer) has (basically) the same car with 14K miles for $61K.
So, you could have in theory purchased a car, driven it around for a few years, made some payments and then recouped your money. Crazy right?
      04-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #61
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post
Haha that's funny. That's exactly the M2C I'm talking about. Consider yourself lucky you didn't buy that car. Biener Audi in Long Island, was listed at 50k, black exec 2020 with 5k miles or something. I put $5000 cash down on that car to hold it for 1 day and they sold it out from under me 2 hours later. Turns out the previous owner used it as a dedicated track car, and went off track with it. Broke the rear camber arms, had a blown rear strut and bad rear wheel hub. Various other components were broken. The car failed Audi inspection and they lied about it and tried to sell it as perfect. Even were going to charge me a $1800 "inspection" fee for it. When I asked what the clunking from the rear was, the guy told me it was the jack bouncing around LOL. The car was only listed at $50k because they knew it was fucked up and they wanted it gone ASAP. The salesman only was able to tell me this AFTER I got my deposit back and some other poor soul got scammed for the car. So please, don't tell me that was a good example of a well-priced M2C.

I looked at 4 other M2Cs in the area that were 50-55k price point, all 4 were lemon titles. If any other car was listed by a DEALERSHIP for $50k, there is something wrong with it. Why would they list it $7k under market price? C'mon now.
lol crazy shit...
Appreciate 1
rcouchh2339.00
      04-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #62
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I purchased my 2020 M2C in April of 2019 for $61.500.
Same area (different dealer) has (basically) the same car with 14K miles for $61K.
So, you could have in theory purchased a car, driven it around for a few years, made some payments and then recouped your money. Crazy right?
Yes and no. They would probably offer you $54k so that they can sell for $61k.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #63
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

Well, the DCT is a manual without a third pedal, but an extra clutch, so I can see sales guys taking the liberty to list it as a manual. I've seen that a lot with the M2s listed where there are listed as manual and they are DCTs
It's when you put the vin in a bmw decoder it comes back as manual transmission on part of the sheet, then in another spot it says 7 speed dual clutch. It confuses people. You can see below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #64
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It's when you put the vin in a bmw decoder it comes back as manual transmission on part of the sheet, then in another spot it says 7 speed dual clutch. It confuses people. You can see below.
There you go, the DCT is a manual
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #65
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Cars should be listed as “can shift automatically” or “can not shift automatically”
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:30 PM   #66
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to new or used? I picked mine all the way from 5 states over because there was nothing locally that made any sense a few weeks ago. I only see 2 new ones in a 100 mile radius from here (Chicago suburbs) and 5 used ones.
Used. I'm most likely going to go for a used one, new are pretty much all sold.
Appreciate 0