04-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #23
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I enjoyed manual transmission vehicles all the way up to my 09 VW GTI (last manual car I owned). Now I prefer automatics and just love my DCT.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      04-21-2021, 10:31 PM   #24
OperationSunset
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW M2C | '18 Tesla 3P

I'm a tad disappointed with my 6MT, even with Ronald's Autosolutions SSK. His shifter is WAY better and makes the manual definitely incredible, but I think the M2C is better suited with a DCT. But then again I'm not complaining
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22578.00
      04-21-2021, 11:01 PM   #25
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

6MT all the way
Appreciate 1
brainf18260.00
      04-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #26
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationSunset View Post
I'm a tad disappointed with my 6MT, even with Ronald's Autosolutions SSK. His shifter is WAY better and makes the manual definitely incredible, but I think the M2C is better suited with a DCT. But then again I'm not complaining
That’s interesting to hear! Can you elaborate why you think it’s better suited for DCT? For history and science. What about it?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:47 PM   #27
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

Personal preference, but it seems that both the DCT and the 6MT are a dying breed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #28
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
All of this. Love a manual shift, love a dual clutch on track and when pressing on. Either way, both are perfectly suited to provide a lovely drive depending on the mood. I'll have to keep at least one of each and hopefully multiples of each where possible.
Is it just me or do you also press the carpet with your left foot in your DCT on startup after driving the manual? Or reach for a paddle in the manual after driving the DCT? Just once each time but it's amazing how the hind brain takes over. For me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #29
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
I don't have an automatic but I have 2 manual cars and one DCT car. Love them all. Each one suits each car perfectly and provides a lovely selection of beautifully engaging drives depending on the mood. In the end, that's what it's all about. Drive what tickles your fancy and ignore anyone that says otherwise.
I own an e92 DCT and manual M2CS. Both transmission have their own merits and I believe that these cars are the last ones built where both transmissions were taken into consideration (and the 992 GT3 to a degree).

The M3 was my first DCT and I kept the car because the V8 redline and DCT make it very easy to navigate the shifts with the shift lights. The modes allow you to drive casually or very aggressive. Every time I drive it I enjoy the combo immensely. The engine needs to be revved for full power and the car is In contrast, the M2 with the turbo engine allows you to drive the manual lazily if you are just cruising, since it has a different powerband requiring less downshifting, unless you want maximum power continuously. I enjoy the manual and am still getting used to the optimal engagement point of the clutch....just did my break in service
Appreciate 1
Davil6333.50
      04-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #30
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

I'm one of the "manual until I don't have a left leg" people, but I can't really argue with the points he makes. Modern autos are very good, never driven a DCT but I'd imagine they're even better. I also hate that BMW insists on putting CDVs in their clutch lines and have added up and downshift rev-matching that cannot be independently turned off. It's like they're saying, "we're gonna let you have a manual transmission - but we're gonna do everything we can to limit your involvement in the shift process"
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
smknjoe234.00
      04-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #31
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

I ordered a stick in my M2C and just recently drove a DCT M2C for a TD. I was super underwhelmed by it. I think P-Car PDK is much stronger and I prefer row your own compare to both now that auto-blip exists. It all comes down to opinion and usage needs.
      04-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #32
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C-NLUSA View Post
I ordered a stick in my M2C and just recently drove a DCT M2C for a TD. I was super underwhelmed by it. I think P-Car PDK is much stronger and I prefer row your own compare to both now that auto-blip exists. It all comes down to opinion and usage needs.
super underwhelmed? What did you expect it to do? It changes gears instantly
Appreciate 3
BigKutta3870.50
swampfox941186.50
Davil6333.50
      04-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #33
TheMagician
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 6spd

This is my personal take...

I used to have 2018 M2 LCI with 6sp manual. While I LOVED my 6spd to death I hate it for daily stop and go 50km commute (both ways) to my office. Long story short, I sold it.

I was able to test drive 2018 M2 with DCT before pulling the trigger on 6spd and loved the way DCT was working but my heart was with 6spd.

Now, a few days ago I got my 2021 M2C allocation for HS with HK upgrade, DCT and MPE exhaust and SUPER happy to have last of the DCT's gearboxes.

So for all manual gear heads, I'm happy for you but don't ever underestimate DCT as some of us enjoy it.

Last edited by TheMagician; 04-22-2021 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: spell check
Appreciate 2
MmmmmM22578.00
Nicname348.00
      04-22-2021, 01:02 PM   #34
OperationSunset
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
That’s interesting to hear! Can you elaborate why you think it’s better suited for DCT? For history and science. What about it?
Every time I go from my ND miata to the M2C, the shifter in the M2C tarnishes the row-your-own experience (when compared back to back).

To answer your question, it's just my opinion having driven both configurations. I think I can get more performance out of the car at my personal skill level with a DCT...and I've owned 6MTs for over a decade. Again, both are super capable, I just prefer the DCT on this car.
Appreciate 3
      04-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #35
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

I am/was a die hard manual only for sports cars and I too have a save the manuals t-shirt. I grew up during the days of the crappy auto slushboxes.

I had an 2020 M2C 6sp and honestly I loved the car, but I was disappointed with the gearbox. I installed an UCP, but not an Autosolutions SSK shifter. I had consistent issues when near red line shifting from first to second grinding and refusing to go into gear. It almost seemed like there was a lock out at times. I have never had this issue with any of the multiple other manuals I have driven from other manufactures.

For reasons other than this I traded the M2C in on an X3M and have not looked back. I can tell you from my experience the ZF transmission in the X3M is lightening quick. I was/am surprised by how hard it shifts up and down. A quick flick of the paddle and it immediately does what you asked it to.

As much as I enjoy rowing gears the ZF may have converted me forever. I can drive around with no effort when I want and I can become totally involved and in control of shift points when I want to (other than my left leg). Oh, and I have yet to grind a gear or miss a shift.
If you ask me, the future of the auto tranny is looking pretty good!

Current: 2021 X3M
Gone but not forgotten: 2020 M2C LBB MT
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #36
OperationSunset
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
I am/was a die hard manual only for sports cars and I too have a save the manuals t-shirt. I grew up during the days of the crappy auto slushboxes.

I had an 2020 M2C 6sp and honestly I loved the car, but I was disappointed with the gearbox. I installed an UCP, but not an Autosolutions SSK shifter. I had consistent issues when near red line shifting from first to second grinding and refusing to go into gear. It almost seemed like there was a lock out at times. I have never had this issue with any of the multiple other manuals I have driven from other manufactures.

For reasons other than this I traded the M2C in on an X3M and have not looked back. I can tell you from my experience the ZF transmission in the X3M is lightening quick. I was/am surprised by how hard it shifts up and down. A quick flick of the paddle and it immediately does what you asked it to.

As much as I enjoy rowing gears the ZF may have converted me forever. I can drive around with no effort when I want and I can become totally involved and in control of shift points when I want to (other than my left leg). Oh, and I have yet to grind a gear or miss a shift.
+100

This is exactly my experience...the M2C's 6MT is not as precise as it could have been. I own a regular x30i X3 and the transmission in that is such butter...I'd love to try out an X3MC. That said, after about a year or so I think I'm just going to order a G82 comp xDrive and call it good.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #37
TheMagician
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post

I completely forgot to add same experience! It drove me insane
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:52 PM   #38
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

I recently sold my 19 M2C DCT and ordered a 21 M2C 6spd. I grew up driving manuals but then had a pdk and Dct. I really enjoyed dct but wanted to get back to manual before it's completely phased out, one last chance and not that expensive
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:29 AM   #39
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Sold my M2 LCI DCT and purchased a M2C 6MT..

There is no comparison in my opinion and I am 61 years old..
The M2C is so much more alive and raw in the 6MT..

The other main point I prefer the 6MT, is that you are so much more aware and awake of the road conditions, as you are always shifting and depressing the clutch... Just not flicking the paddle shifters on the DCT..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:19 AM   #40
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
........is that you are so much more aware and awake of the road conditions, as you are always shifting and depressing the clutch... Just not flicking the paddle shifters on the DCT..
Can you explain this part in more detail?
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3870.50
      04-23-2021, 05:29 AM   #41
Throttlemonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
........is that you are so much more aware and awake of the road conditions, as you are always shifting and depressing the clutch... Just not flicking the paddle shifters on the DCT..

I think this is his meaning. 5th to 6th, easy right? Now try 5th to 6th at over 150mph, taking one hand off the steering wheel whilst depressing the clutch and engaging the gear gives you a bigger sense of the forces you are fighting against. Undulations and camber on the road surface become more apparent. It's a brilliant watch btw.

I love both manual and auto. The 6mt in my M2c does need some improvement though. If it was my daily I'd definitely go auto.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #42
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I think this is his meaning. 5th to 6th, easy right? Now try 5th to 6th at over 150mph, taking one hand off the steering wheel whilst depressing the clutch and engaging the gear gives you a bigger sense of the forces you are fighting against. Undulations and camber on the road surface become more apparent. It's a brilliant watch btw.

I love both manual and auto. The 6mt in my M2c does need some improvement though. If it was my daily I'd definitely go auto.
This is exactly what I worry about with a MT. How will I shift from 5th to 6th when I'm doing 150mph...
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
smknjoe234.00
      04-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #43
Throttlemonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:

This is exactly what I worry about with a MT. How will I shift from 5th to 6th when I'm doing 150mph...
Clearly it's over exaggerated but you get the point.

EV - instant
DCT - milliseconds
Manual - timeless

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #44
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
super underwhelmed? What did you expect it to do? It changes gears instantly
I didn't think it did. I felt a lag every time I downshifted. Was slight but it was there. I also found it boring personally. I'll stick to PDK...