BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > DIY A-pillar noise fix without removing the windshield

10-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #23
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_M235i View Post
So I have this annoying noise going on for 6 months or so and I dropped it off at the dealer last week prior to finding this thread. They were having trouble reproducing the noise and I passed along the service bulletin (which I had to pay for the login) and a link to this thread to the service advisor. The dealer proceeded to ignore the thread and crack my windshield while following the TSB. In hindsight I should have just fixed it myself.
Shame, least they didn't dent your car. Rather have a cracked windshield.

However I feel your pain.
      10-30-2018, 11:19 PM   #24
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
So I have this annoying noise going on for 6 months or so and I dropped it off at the dealer last week prior to finding this thread. They were having trouble reproducing the noise and I passed along the service bulletin (which I had to pay for the login) and a link to this thread to the service advisor. The dealer proceeded to ignore the thread and crack my windshield while following the TSB. In hindsight I should have just fixed it myself.
Sorry.. Unbelievable,this is the reason why I didn't want the dealer to attempt to repair by removing the windshield! If they would have read this thread it would have taken them less than a half hour to fix. Then they could have billed the factory for the full fix. Never ceases to amaze me how dealers can underachive my low exceptations . did they at least fix the noise? Carl
Appreciate 2
LGWGN258.50
ChrisK4449.00
      10-31-2018, 04:51 AM   #25
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I have what sounds like a standard trim-panel vibration coming from somewhere on the right side of the car. I have been able to pin-point it yet. It *might* be coming from the A-Pillar...but it might not be. Sigh. Always a hunt finding each BMW's individual set of annoying noises.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #26
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I would repair this myself, my guess is that any dealer would remove the windshield, regardless of your suggestions because it's instructed on the SIB and they operate closest to the book..

I would of pass also and do the DIY repair myself; I don't trust the dealer to do any sort of invasive repairs unless I have no other choice..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:48 AM   #27
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
My 2017 M2 (non LCI) started doing this clicking noise (on top of my front window) after 25.000 miles... Today it did what was described in this post and I did not hear it again...let's hope it stays this way. Never imagined it could be this that caused it

I don't have a M2 comp, but now I'm happy I sometimes read in the M2 comp section

I used this...

Need to check this on mine. I find there's a lot of noise coming from the cockpit while driving over cobblestones. And Belgium consists only of cobblestones.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #28
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Basically its a half hour and a bent screwdriver to fix. VS. many trips to the dealer and whatever collateral damage they do in the process carl
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      10-31-2018, 09:12 PM   #29
235Paul
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i M-Sport

which side

Sorry to restart this thread. But I am getting the same noise but it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side (right hand drive side), so on the left of the dash when you are facing the steering wheel.
Can anyone tell me if the area that needs separating is on the left and right sides of the dash?
Would be good to know before I start taking apart the trim.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:34 PM   #30
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 228Paul View Post
Sorry to restart this thread. But I am getting the same noise but it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side (right hand drive side), so on the left of the dash when you are facing the steering wheel.
Can anyone tell me if the area that needs separating is on the left and right sides of the dash?
Would be good to know before I start taking apart the trim.
See post #1 in this thread ..carl
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:02 PM   #31
235Paul
Australia
Rep

Thanks Carl, but what I would like to know is if the triple section of sheet metal that needs prying apart is only on one side of the dash. Or is the same section found on both sides of the car?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:06 PM   #32
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 228Paul View Post
Thanks Carl, but what I would like to know is if the triple section of sheet metal that needs prying apart is only on one side of the dash. Or is the same section found on both sides of the car?
Cheers
I only removed the right side but my gut feeling is it's the same on both sides. all you have to do is snap off the apiller cover to see . Please update it will be interesting to see. Good luck. carl
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:16 AM   #33
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
Thanks Carl for the DIY!
I also have this noise, so i will do it.
For others HERE is how to remove/replace the A-pillar cover.
Tano, thanks for that link!
      11-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #34
CJ_M240
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i Coupe Xdrive

Finally got my car back yesterday from the dealer, after the new windshield was installed, and the popping noise is still occurring. I took the A pillar cover off and pryed the seam apart a bit more. It lessened the noise to some extent but not completely gone. I think I’ll take another shot at it today and apply some graphite powder to the seam to lube it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #35
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Finally got my car back yesterday from the dealer, after the new windshield was installed, and the popping noise is still occurring. I took the A pillar cover off and pryed the seam apart a bit more. It lessened the noise to some extent but not completely gone. I think I’ll take another shot at it today and apply some graphite powder to the seam to lube it up.
I had to do mine three times . Drive it with the a-piller cover off and keep testing it till its gone. i dough that i spread it 1/16" so it doesn't take much. Update your results..good luck carl
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:46 AM   #36
235Paul
Australia
Rep

I can confirm that the three layers are on both sides of the car. Working at mine at the moment. The click hasn't gone yet so some more separation needed maybe.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #37
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

I have noise coming from that area. I'm not sure I can call it a click but after a couple of weeks of patiently waiting until I had a better idea where it's coming from (still might be the door on that side), I'm pretty sure it's coming from the A-Pillar. I'm not sure that it's a "click". It sounds more like my 340i's passenger seat did when some of the under-seat wires came out of their clip.

There's a substantial wire bundle running through there, and it is pretty slack not far from where our demon clicking metal is. I'm going to put a bunch of foam tape in there where the wire bundle might be making contact as well as attempting to do the this fix.

Now where did I put my foam tape when I took it out of the 340? Hmmmm....
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #38
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Even though the service bulletin goes back to 2014. i think the M2C is probably more prone
to the noise because all the bracing that connects at the bottom of the windshield. That would transfer all the twisting stress from the front right to the base of windshield. carl

Last edited by carl44; 11-11-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
ChrisK4449.00
      11-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #39
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl44 View Post
Even though the service bulletin goes back to 2014. i think the M2C is probably more prone
to the noise because all the bracing that connects at the bottom of the windshield. That would transfer the twisting of the front right to the base of windshield. carl
Makes sense. There are several spots in that section that could be an issue. The wire run has a lot of movement to it. I used quite a bit of foam tape and worked on the metal part, and went for a drive (with the trim off). I didn't get any bad sounds. I'll look at how the trim piece goes on again in the morning and see if there are any spots where IT should be foam-taped before I put it back on. I have spare christmas tree clips, so I'll replace those to be safe.

I've de-rattled a lot of BMW rattles. I'd be happier with BMW if I had less experience with it.
Appreciate 2
DARKMTTR229.00
      11-11-2018, 01:32 AM   #40
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I have noise coming from that area. I'm not sure I can call it a click but after a couple of weeks of patiently waiting until I had a better idea where it's coming from (still might be the door on that side), I'm pretty sure it's coming from the A-Pillar. I'm not sure that it's a "click". It sounds more like my 340i's passenger seat did when some of the under-seat wires came out of their clip.

There's a substantial wire bundle running through there, and it is pretty slack not far from where our demon clicking metal is. I'm going to put a bunch of foam tape in there where the wire bundle might be making contact as well as attempting to do the this fix.

Now where did I put my foam tape when I took it out of the 340? Hmmmm....
I have a noise too, driver's side (RHD), base of A pillar. It's very weird. I call it a Tourette's noise as is just random. Seems to be more prevalent when it drops below 20 degrees C, so I'm thinking it's the Carl noise as that would make more sense when metal is involved. There's no pattern to it other than that.

It's not loud, just a sort of light click. Didn't hear it at all today as it was warmer.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #41
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Getting the trim back on was not the most fun I've ever had. It may have been the most annoying bit of trim I've dealt with in my BMW's. It just did not want to go back in correctly. It's back on now, and the clips popped into place, but I am utterly unconscious of exactly which bit of wiggling at which angle ended up working. I'm sure it was mostly my baseline incompetence at stuff others find easy (like cutting boards in a straight line) and the rest of you had no problem with it, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #42
CJ_M240
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i Coupe Xdrive

Well, I’ve been trying to eliminate the popping noise on my own for the past couple of weeks with limited success. It went from every dip in the road to more of a random annoyance. I’m dreading having to to take it back to the dealer as they broke my windshield last time I took it there...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #43
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

100 miles of driving yesterday, the noise(s) coming from the A-Pillar are gone, but I still have a noise in cold temps coming from the right side. It's no where near as annoying as the A-pillar noise...the stereo drowns it out. I'm not sure if it's coming from the seat or right-side door (I'm leaning towards the door). I don't really want to rip apart the door right now, so I'll probably live with it until its time to do audio upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #44
235Paul
Australia
Rep

I've been trying to fix this for weeks with no luck. I've been prying apart those fins with a screwdriver but nothing seems to work. Had the trim off about 5 times. Made the mistake of Googling 'BMW A-Pillar creaks' and wow, just about every BMW model suffers from some kind of spot weld fault, but I guess its like Google Doctor!! I'm at a complete loss and now I'm listening for it on every drive. I think I'm going mad!!!
Appreciate 0